54 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2012 5:07 PM by anadyr RSS

Perks and their value--around the world

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

How many of these have YOU enjoyed (so far I have enjoyed none)?  Maybe someday...long into the future.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Re: Perks and their value--around the world
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

I am again with you on this one!  None, for me either, although I found it interesting to read about the Marriott in Chicago with the special lounge.  Never heard of that one either, I don't think it was the Marriott Miracle Mile, as my experience recently was similar to The Professor's.

SS, most of these perks would not interest me too much.  Priorities for me would be:

Getting upgraded on the flight and hotel room. (On the airlines and hotels I qualify for this experience).

Free breakfast and a CL at a well located hotel.

Direct car to the hotel to/from Airport, arranged by hotel. No taxi's!

I hope that is not asking for too much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

For sure,  in the good old Pan Am days I could opt for a free limo or even a helo ride to Manhattan after landing! Those were the days so long gone.  Actually just a pleasant experience is enough for me now, alas.

SS,

Remember when you actually knew the ticket agents and flying was fun?

I new the flight attendants as well and more than once on TWA, they took me to the galley in the nose of the L-1011!  We had a lot of fun on those flights.  I flew with Col. Sanders once, and once with George Goeble (Sp), he was so funny, he was "Over served" and was on the loudspeaker and had the whole plane laughing!

Speaking of Air travel, I must now sign off and go to London, via Detroit.

Keep me in your prayers, I'll need them!

Safe travels and watch out for those storms today

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Godspeed, Jerry.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Good time for you in London, JC..... I'd also like to know which Chicago Marriott the article was highlighting.

mysteriously not mentioned in the article--I wonder too

Thanks PP, SS, Pluto and all!

Left a "Soggy" Mid West to come to Sunny London!

Beautiful day here, just cool.  Wow, have they ever "Spoiled me again", wonderful room and I will try to pull a "Jasper" by reporting on some wonderful sights in London!

By the way, County Hall's private driving service from LHR, (At the same price of a taxi) is outstanding.  You can bill the charge to your room, and have someone greet you as you leave customs.  You then go to a private vehicle, and go directly to the hotel.  No lines, no monetary conversions, all of this can be arranged with the Concierge staff, via email.  Another "Stress reducer"!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I love Reuters. I know that I have enjoyed the UsAirways First Class arrival lounge at Heathrow and Gatwick. All you can drink bubbly, while waiting for the Limo. Very nice! Perrier-Jouet I believe.

About the only thing close on here I have experienced. It was nice, and included in the airfare.

I'll have a toast to you Al!

Cheers and Tally-Ho!

Jerry,

If you please, bring back photos of the entrance and lobby of the hotel.

Thanks.

Pluto,

Here the photo's from the last trip, have some newer ones, but have not downloaded them yet! (It hasn't changed much).  It's funny, we had an unusual fire drill today and the hotel had to be emptied, I got another picture today as we had just evacuated the hotel.

Pluto, you will have to wait on the picture!  For some reason I am not able to post pictures (No, I don't think it's MI fault), just something is not working.

Will get them out soon as I can.

Thanks, Jerry.  I am happy to wait.  It's kind of funny, but that frowny face (mad face) has put a smile on mine!  I like emoticons.  I think they should add one that has crossed eyes!  I would use it a lot!

Pluto,

I just got a picture of La Defense up for you, ( I get a little impatient sometimes), Let's see if these pictures will work!

It looks like I can get some pictures of County Hall (Something did not like the ones I was trying to send).

FH040026.jpg

That's looking at County Hall from Westminster Bridge.  Pretty spectacular, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey are just behind me in this picture.

IMG_1393.JPG

View from room across Thames from County Hall

IMG_1395.JPG

Wonderful lobby, full of flowers.

Pluto, I will have to get the rest and new pictures to you later, thanks for your patience.

WOW.  Beautiful.  County Hall looks like "The Place" to stay for London.

When you get back, you'll have to answer for me, that entire building to the right of the 'Eye' is County Hall?  No. Tall one behind it?  Sorry, confused.  What a great location regardless.  Also, is that Westminster Abbey (two towers) to the left of Big Ben?

Someday will be my turn, I hope.

Thanks so much for posting.  Really happy to wait though.

Pluto,

Each to there own opinion, but I cannot do better in London for my wants and needs!

Yes, that's the Eye, and you do NOT want a sleeping room near it.  They take a photograph of all the cars as they end their trip and your room will seem like a "Strobe light" is in it from the constant flashes of light.

Yes, Westminster Abbey and Parliament are to the left of Big Ben.  You also have the Westminster tube station to Big Ben's right as well as Churchill War Room and close is #10 Downing Place.  If you are up for a "Walk thru the park", you can easily walk to Buckingham Palace from here as well!

Will have some new pictures for you soon! 

Cheers!

Pluto,

Here are some up to date pictures from yesterday.  It was a sunny day and wonderful for walking and just about anything you would want to do.

IMG_2170.JPG

Front of the hotel in an alcove that is very striking.  Crowd was waiting to get back in after a fire drill.

IMG_2172.JPG

The most comfortable lobby, with fresh flowers as usual.

Will try to get some other postings of interest soon!

Location Brand Hotel
    London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall

Jerry,

What a beautiful hotel.  From the sound of it, seems to be perfectly located as well.  Bet you are really enjoying yourselves!  It seems to me that you are fortunate to have so much sun.  Never been to London, but I have always imagined it to be perpetually gray, much like the state of Washington.

Really appreciate the photos!

(You know, some lobbies, like the one above, are so striking that I would prefer to relax in them over a CL.)

Pluto,

Yes, it is lovely and I will post a separate post about this experience soon.  I guarantee I got better treatment than SS got.  The truth is, most of you would have gotten the same treatment here, and I would have got the same treatment at SS's hotel!

Am I the poster child for bad treatment? Hope not but maybe bad luck follows me.

No SS, of course you are not.  Some people just do not understand the concept of hospitality or customer service, unfortunately.

I can see me there!

Hopefully soon!

Very nice views and a good update!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

I haven't experienced any of these, but I sure get some great perks from other memberships/cards.

My golf club (where I'm an equity member) gave me a free membership to Signature Gold Unlimited that allows me, through ClubCorp, to play golf for free and get free loaner clubs at many country clubs throughout the US. In addition, I get to eat free at Business Clubs in major cities in the US. My monthly cost is $50. The first 2 months of membership, I ate at The Citrus Club in Orlando, The Centre Club in Tampa and The Buckhead Club in Atlanta. The food costs, if I had been a paying guest, would have exceeded $150 for the two of us at each seating.

Check it out here:   http://www.virtualclub.com/SigGoldUnlimited/SignatureGoldUnlimited/index.htm

In addition the Platinum Card from AMEX allows free entry to the airline lounges of many of the airlines and gives me a $200 credit with the airline of my choice to use on anything I buy from the airline I choose. They also send perks for (spend credits) restaurants and merchant shops regularly. When we went to Palm Desert last year, they had a promo for The Daily Grill that returned a $50 statement credit to me for purchases made there while there. The card also provides many other perks similar to those discussed in the article.

There are really good perks to be had!

Excellent and worth the fee for sure

Agreed.

Al,

I cannot find the post you make about Virgin Airlines!  I have never flown them, but can you start a blog on them (If possible)?  Have you ever used your Centurion to get the 2 for 1 Business Class airfare.  I have not done that, because it is usually MORE than if you buy the tickets from the airlines directly.

Al, one thing that would be great on this site is some information on how to buy International airline tickets and save some money.  There has to be a better way than how I am doing it!

Here is one post on the airline:  Virgin Atlantic is never boring

I shall work on your suggestion in the next day or 2. Working like crazy, then off to Sanibel Island Florida Marriott Resort on Friday. I will give as much thought as possible before making a blog, but will

Sir Jerry (after you UK knighthood),

Hey speaking of the Centurion card, I agree with you about buying tickets direct instead of using the AMEX BOGO is often times cheaper.

One exception which really bummed me out that I have to share which most people will not appreciate.

In late 2000, I booked the BOGO through AMEX Centurion on THE CONCORDE!!!!!!

BIG Problem developed. I was off to a great start when I purchased my first ticket for around $10,500, and was issued a free second one via American Express. My travel conceierge was a fellow I was always using named Alex, and was located in Phoenix, AZ, and knew me by name whenever I called.

Then BAM!   The Concorde crashed in Paris and all flights were suspended! Huge bummer!

It would have been my first flight on the supersonic aircraft, I had tickets in hand, (which were later refunded through Alex), and the aircraft never flew commercially again.

A HUGE disappointment in my life, which in terms of travel nostalgia took me about half a decade to get over. A true letdown.

I rarely get to tell this story as:

A) It makes me depressed to this day to think about it.

B) Most people do not appreciate how awesome this would have been, especially already having tickets in hand.

C) Was probably the biggest tease experience I have ever had.

D) A lot of people in this generation do not even know what the heck the Concorde was.

E) Did I mention it still depresses me to this day? LOL! 

So I think this would have been the best deal in International Travel history for me, all shot down in flames, literally.

I will post a bit later, I have to go pout for a while.

I will be in touch - Al

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...