22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 8:22 AM by anadyr RSS

Renting cars--it pays to check back

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Since no one is reimbursing me for travel these days, I tend to be very cheap when making reservations for cars and hotels.  I am going to Denver in a few days to tend to my ailing mother and will need a car for a week. 

Checking with National Rental Cars (where I am a longtime EEV (Executive Elite VIP)) I noticed  that the week was going to total out at $295, not bad for a mid size and on short notice.  Being an internet wizard I later (ten minutes) discovered that I had missed a day and was renting for five rather than six days.

No problem, I told myself, I will just go back modify the rez and go on happily.  In doing that I found that for an extra day (and still within the week rate) my new fee was $548!!!

Called the Emerald Club hotline and was transferred to the "modification desk" (MD) by a very kind agent.  The MD told me that the rate of $548 was the rate at the time I modified my reservation--get over it! (not exactly, but you get the picture). 

I then checked the consolidators, and finally made a Costco travel reservation for $175 for the week with Enterprise through the web site. 

This morning I went back the National Car website to cancel the earlier one and casually checked on the weely rate which had dropped to $150, all fees included!  So I stuck with National and got my dates straight. 

It pays to check back almost constantly since apparently rental car companies are like airlines--no price is ever fixed!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Denver, Colorado, USA
  • Re: Renting cars--it pays to check back
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Very good advice.  I check back for a better deal on motel, car, and air even when I'm not paying for my own travel.  Thanks for the reminder, steppingstones.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

No problem NU, I am here to serve!  And remind myself too

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

This pricing events in this story are an everyday occurence in the travel biz. I always re-check my reservations for cars, hotels, et al after I have booked a reservation at what I 'think' is a good rate. Almost 9 out of 10 times I find myself re-booking because I have found a better rate with the same provider AFTER I booked my initial reservation. It's also why I NEVER book pre-pay rates for hotels or cars.

Good advice SS.

Happy travels (to Denver) and wherever!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tef,

Agree, would never pre-pay either.  Too much can change too quickly in this world!

Thanks TEF, I was steamed that as someone who rents over 100 days a year the modification desk at National could not see fit to let me have an additional day, which was in my weekly rate, for the original price.  Ironically got a call from the parent (Enterprise) last night to rate their service.  Suppose the young man is still wondering if he needs a different line of work!

I never pre-pay either

SS,

I had NO idea the rates fluctuate this much.  Don't rent too many cars, but will heed your advice.  Have only been renting cars in Orlando and found Enterprise to be the best to rent from there.

By the way, if you have not dined there yet, try to make it by "The Buckhorn Exchange", in Denver.  You may want some rattlesnake, buffalo, or great game.  Even if you just have time for a cocktail, it is a special and historic place.  Dine on the first floor if you can, it has some wonderful atmosphere to it. ( I will probably be in trouble over adding this as it has nothing to do with car rentals.)

designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

Just minutes ago I 'rebooked' a room in Hawaii that I had made a reservation for several weeks ago.  By rechecking today I was able to save money on the same room.  Love Marriott but you should always check the rate as you closer to your stay.  Can save lots of money that way.

Great news

esigndeva and SS,

This is such a great point to all of us car renters.

Thanks!

Yep the time taken to recheck is worth it.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

so I was reading this thread and decided to re-check my upcoming car rental for RDU in a couple of weeks.  Hertz -- found a AAA PC that I hadn't used originally, and the price dropped from about 170 to 112.  Thanks for the reminder to keep checking. 

Maybe if you check enough it will be free or they will owe you money Husker!!!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

test

maron5 Gold

Thanks for that good advise. I also used Priceline and I tried putting my own price for one week of car rental. I originally checked and I saw the regular car rentals for one week was something like $285 for mid size car.

I started at a very low price to bid for the cars at Priceline and very time it said the price is too low, soil up'ed by $5 and the result was $175 for one week for a mid size.

Very good advice, my Denver rental is 150 for the week and I snagged a brand new Premium class car for that--an Avalon

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

what is an Avalon?????

Actually A ballroom in New Jersey, a town on Catalina Island, and a Toyota version of the Lexus ES300 sedan.  Has all the bells and whistles, except Navigation which I brought along.  gets about 32 mpg on the 75 mph   roads here in Colorado. Backup camera, homelink, XM, etc.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

wow.  sounds nice.  I remember the Avalon as a movie house in st louis when I was growing up.  I believe a snagged my first kiss there.  maybe even got to 2nd base 

Actually in my youth the conventional wisdom was that the Parish Priest drove a jet black Buick sedan--this car reminds me of that kind of car but made in Japan and bigger on the inside.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...