39 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 9:57 PM by californian RSS

Have You Ever Seen The Property-Specific Hilton Diamond Card?

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Some years ago (about 10), before I became Marriott Lifetime Platinum, I was dabbling around with different hotel chains, and became a good acquantaince with the GM at the Hilton, Pittsburgh. I was never a Diamond member with Hilton at that point, and was told by this particular GM that he had the ability to send in a form which would make me a Diamond (like Marriott's Platinum) member at that property location only. Dubious about this, I asked him if he could. Lo and behold, a few weeks later, I received a BLACK card from Hilton in the mail, which indicated Diamond. A short time later, I presented the card at another Hilton property, who then gave me every ammenity that a regular Diamond member received. The front desk people at the next property said they had never seen this type or color card before, and thought perhaps the Hilton properties had simply issued a new form of card.

After awhile, and travelling to other properties, some front desk people and or GM's said they had seen it, but they were rare. I was always treated as Diamond/Platinum no matter where I went based on this  kind gesture by the orignal GM back in Pittsburgh. Not only that, it had NO EXPIRATION, and was supposed to be valid at the Pittsburgh location only. Yet based on it never being seen before, no matter where I went, I was showered with upgrades and other nice things.

My entire point here is that I wonder if Marriott ever ran a similar type of preferred treatment card, and if so, has anybody ever had and/or seen one? Wouldn't it be nice to have special Platinum ammenities at a Marriott property that you frequent the most, even if you do not make the Platinum or Gold thresholds?

After I legitimately made Diamond, they sent me a sparkly champagne colored card, and when I inquired about the usefulness of my other card, I was told they were both the same, so just use the newer card. I had almost forgotten about this location-specific card, until JerryCoin and I had a discussion earlier this afternoon.

I am curious as to what anybody felt about, or had potentially experienced this situation. I do not see Marriott doing this based on their high point-level thresholds, but wouldn't it be interesting? I guess you never know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Have You Ever Seen The Property-Specific Hilton Diamond Card?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Al,

There was discussion about a secret level above Platinum that was by invitation only. Bill Marriott would offer the invites. Board of Directors and a few others were in this circle. The Comm. Mgr. acknowledged such a group.  That's the only other level I'm aware of......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks PP. It was strange that Hilton had this mysterious card, and I got one for a year or 2, but like I said, that was about 10 years ago. Strange part about getting my Platinum Lifetime Marriott card is that, contrary to what I have read a few times, I was NEVER Marriott Platinum before, ever, and still was awarded Platinum Lifetime.

After several different inquiries a few years after receiving Lifetime status, I asked several different reps on the phone, and the best response I got was that according to their records, I signed up for the Marriott Rewards program the first month it came out (??? I did not know that at the time I registered???) and they said based on overall expenditures, nights, and I quote "Something you did in 1999 really secured it" but no matter how much prodding I did, she would not tell me what this "special something" was. I think it is interesting, all of this mysterious "cloak and dagger" stuff, and wish they would just outright tell me what  is going on, and why things happened. Still a mystery to me to this day!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

One Marriott I frequented had a VIP card which was renewed annually.  It was Black. I no longer spend 180 nights per year there but understand that it has been discontinued.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

For my Iceland trip which has no Marriott, and everyone highly recommended the Hilton there, I called and asked about reciporcity for other loyalty programs.

Hilton said to fax over my Marriott history, and they would extend me a comparable Hilton membership.

The folks I was traveling with wanted to stay at a local hotel that sounds very charming with hot chocolage, Icelandic bedtime stories in the lobby in jammies, and free icelandic movies on TV.

When I eventually go, this will probably be where I stay as it sounds much more charming with some Icelandic culture as well.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Let us know when you go.  This is on my possible list.  In other words, still deciding.

I am thinking maybe March.

I may go on my own if the rest of my travel group keeps flaking out on me.

So you are going to see the northern lights?

yes, will be going primarily to see the Northern Lights, but also to try out the various thermal baths and pools too!

Probably just a long weekend as we have so much work going on.  I will just look for a block of days inbetween meetings and go.

This is the package I am interested in

http://www.icelandair.us/offers-and-bookings/book-packages/package/item278282/winter_wellness_spa_getaway/

I hope that you make it.  Your package sounds good.  If you do, we will have to compare notes.  My friend told me that the lights have not been that good this year.  I hope they are wrong since I am going in March.

2012-2013 are suppose to be the best years in a cycle of like 12 years.

I was told by a fellow Norweigen Fjord traveler that its very imporatnt to go at a new moon as they are not visible around the full moon time.

Also to be far away from lighting of any sort.

I read the same thing.  I will be there a few days from the new moon and what should be a good time.  My friend has a friend who lives in Anchorage and this person says it has not been good this year.  I am hoping for the best.

Yeah, well Gem or Cali, if you ladies are heading up to Iceland, can you do me a favor and send me a direct message and I will give you my Bank of Iceland account number and see if you could bring me back my funds. I opened an online account with ther bank and all they said was that I could not get my money back as my assets were frozen,

They also forgot to send me my account opening gift of a box of Ice Krispies.

Do you know how hard it is to come up with an "Iceland joke" LOL!

Another place I would love to go. Sometimes I get so darn jealous!

"I see that America has declared war on Iceland. Apparently they are accusing them of harboring a “weapon of ash eruption”." I know, that one is REAL bad! LOL!

Have a nice night!!!!!!!!!

-Al

Gem is closer to going than I am.  It is on my radar and that is all so far.  I am going to Alaska to hopefully see the lights.

alrenaissance

Okay, so are any parts of the post not a joke?

My usually routine for visiting a new country is try out as much of the local lifestyle by doing the following

• check out the grocery store - always price the same items to do a comparison between countries.  Also note which things I would expect to be hard to get but they have, or things that should be easy to get
                      • ride the mass transit.  Sometimes I use this as my tour, just ride to the end and ride back.  Can be the cheapest sightseeing but you need to have done your homework to know what your looking at, and how to use the mass transit
                      • visit the bank to exchange money and see how it works
                      • visit the PO, buy stamps, send post cards, etc
                      • check out schools, great for pictures
                      • check out the hospitals - always best to know how this works before a crisis happens
                      • visit the drugstore - especially if they have different prescription drug laws and I can buy my prescriptions there for less
                      • visit Chain Stores - on cruises I just follow the crew for the good shopping like the Walmart in Puerto Vallarte has some amazing things.

Another thing he told me is that he was undecided between Norway and Iceland, so has done both, and in his opinion, Iceland was best.

He had not done Alaska though, and was on the Norweigan Cruise cause the cruiseline canceled his Alaskan cruise and gave him a free cruise of Norweigan Fjords though it was not the first Norweigan trip he had taken.  Both he and a colleague at work had driven all over Norway for several weeks with their families which I understand is a very expensive undertaking.

I thought his travel advice was spot on for other topics

and at the end of the cruise he let us all know he was really a priest traveling undercover so as to not make folks feel ill at ease.

I think we are both going where it is easier to get to due to where we live.  I am using miles to get to Fairbanks and staying at a SHS for under $100 per night (4 nights).  So I have Northern lights tour cost and some food.  You found a really good package for Iceland.  I hope we both see great lights.

While in Fairbanks, I may do a dog sled ride if it is not too cold.

Have always wanted to do a dog sled ride!

Get yourself some Gortex.  I have a full suit - pants, jacket with hoodie, gloves, boots.  Have used it in the Moscow flea market in the dead of winter at -20+ and spent 4 hours shopping.  did feel a little cold towards the end but not uncomfortably. Warmed up with hot Borscht & Vodka - the Russia answer to the cold.

On my bucket list is the Ice Hotel in Sweden.  I have been to the Ice Bar in Stockholm which only wet the appetite to try the hotel.  Anyways, you fly in (I think by helicopter) and are met by a dog sled team for an hour ride to the hotel.  One of my Swedish colleagues at work has done this and told me the real challenge is the ice hotel has no plumbing, so you have to go across the street for this.

Anyways, trying the dog sled ride in Fairbanks would be a good way to calibrate if an hour in the Swedish wildress would be tolerable.

I like practice runs for the more challenging trips!

yes, I think we had this discussion before cause I checked the Air Alaska prices and the ticket there costs more than my entire package for Iceland. Since the Marriott in Faribanks is a cat 1-4, I could use my certificates (if done before the category change), but just the airfare alone ruled this out.

You can use Delta miles for Alaska Air.  My friend did.  Consider joining us!

I don't know if I have enough as I am not a Delta flyer.

All my Delta miles are from the shopping program ProfC introduced me to.

I think I have 31K but usually Alaska is more than a regular ticket.

What are your dates, and I will check.

I am not sure what you will get now since it is close but worth a try.  My friend used 25,000 Delta miles and I used 50,000 AA miles to get first since I couldn't get the dates I wanted in coach.

Mar 12 - 16.  Let me know!

I guess my other problem is that I am trying to do this as a long weekend, with most the time weekend, and a day or two, preferrably Fri and/or Mon.

I have meetings scheduled from the 12th to the 14th that I can not get out of.  Earliest I could leave is Thur nite

Checking all NYC airports, I can get a flite leaving on Thur nite and returning on Sun nite, but its 75K miles, and a plane change in Minneapolis.

Am missing the good old days of NW when I flew to Alaska for 50K in business, stopping in DTW to pick up my sister, or I could have flown nonstop out of JFK on Air Alaska, but none of this exists anymore.

When I booked last October or before, I took what I could get.  I wanted to get there, stay for 3-4 nights and return home.  What I have was all that was available.  I know they do put more in as it gets closer.  You might want to try again later.

There are several contests then like Mush, spring break, etc.  Slim pickings then using AA miles my friend used Delta a few weeks later.

Cali. In my estimate, you are one of the world's last great adventurers!

You and your cohort Gem!

Gem, you could always get a new Northern Lights picture, although I still like your classic avatar. I also saw this picture in Economist magazine last week on a section on the Nordic (Scandanavian) countries. It was a full-page spread. Very nice details!

I would estimate due South Gem. Probably where Cali just was. That would be my first guess!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...