30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 7:43 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

The Dazzle Factor:  Many of us are still waiting!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today's Wall Street Journal contain this article about hotels attempting to dazzle guests at check-in.  Many Ritz customers are shown or spoken about.  Perceptive front desk staff can do a lot of this and it costs very little.  Oh, that it were so everywhere!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Dazzle Factor:  Many of us are still waiting!
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Very interesting SS!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hey, did you here I went to the Hamburger down the street from Renaissance Pittsburgh! Called Doubledays, is open late, and has been around for 45+ years!

Still tasted great! I had a burger, it has been awhile!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

An area of improvement that Marriott should make!!!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I have been dazzled by the front desk at three Marriotts in all: Ghent Marriott (x2 trips), Athens Ledra (x3), and Rome Grand Flora (x5).  That is not to say I was not treated nicely at some other Marriott hotels, but it's often where you least expect it (Venice Airport).

I think just like I would hope we all treat people nicely at airports and hotels, I think front desk staff (and gate agents) should have special training in the meaning of hospitality and how to treat customers, especially those who have shown their loyalty over the years.  Since I've only stayed twice at Marriotts this year, both in the US for a change, I can say unequivocally that I was greeted very poorly at check-in at the Chicago Magnificent Mile, which set the tone for the stay, and well by the Renaissance 57 staff in NYC, but then didn't get any of my preferences for room type.

Yes treated well and with respect regardless of elite status would be the goal!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

there should be a base level of treatment that everyone should get.  that treatment should be pleasing by anyones standards.  Any courtesies afforded elite members should be above and beyond.  I think non-elites would have no problem with that, and elites would also be happy with the added attention.  seems to me like a win-win.

Cannot argue with that logic. Does Motel 8 have a Platinum level? LOL!

No but you get a real towel I hear

AND, they leave the lights on for you.....

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

As I travel in many small towns 5,000 to 10,000 in population in the midwest I occasionally have to stay in Super 8 --- that's often the only game in town.  Most are not smoke free, so you get a non smoking room if it's available, no guarantees even if that's what you reserved.  And many of these are owned  by people who cook some of the worst smelling food and you smell it throughout the motel.  It's not particularly pleasant, but when I'm in that location for 2 or 3 days, options are limited, so as I was always trained...improvise and adapt and overcome.  Now you see why I am grateful for what Marriott offers, most of the time.

I am grateful too!  There only form of upgrade is the smoke-free option!

Really does make you appreciate Marriott!

I posted a while back about a SF Day's Inn, which was more than adequate, extremely old but clean and well located.  These types of hotels serve a clientele and apparently do it well.  As an aside I was looking for hotels in the small town where I will be visiting my mom next week (no Marriott's) ans found that most have smoking and non-smoking rooms.  In CA there are no smoking rooms in every place I have stayed but apparently Colorado does not feel the need yet.

Usually......LOL!

Other times, you really don't want the lights on for you, then you see what you are really getting for the $$$$$.!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

My many many Marriott check ins have been hit and miss. More often than not, it's a miss with the dazzle. I still appreciate an enthusiastic front desk professional that smiles, recognizes status, thanks me, and checks me in with less than 1000 key strokes.

so true--wish we could elminate all key strokes and just be handed a key and go--like the quickie mart!

The champion key strokers are Enterprise agents. Those kids hit thousands of keys. It's almost like they are creating the entire rental agreement. I need a nap after hanging at that counter.

impressive!  I find that I get tired jumping to conclusions!

Please choose the option that best describes the height of your vertical leap (to those conclusions):

A) You could slide three 1965 Yellow Pages beneath my feet.

B) Tolstoy's War and Peace would fit nicely.

C) One sheet of notebook paper, slid quickly, comes up clean.

PP my leap of faith is not shown--option D.  Actually I was often compared to Magic Johnson in that we both could stand up straight--he was just a lot better at that than I was!

Perhaps they are just playing Words with Friends? My daughter worked there for a while and is a keyboard speedster so I will ask her

THE MOST DAZZLING WELCOMES (2) THAT I HAVE EVER RECEIVED HAVE BOTH BEEN RITZ CARLTON'S.  ONE IN ST LOUIS, MO.  AND THE OTHER IN KAPALUA, MAUI. NOW THAT SS SHARED SOME OF THEIR SECRETS, I APPRECIATE THEM EVEN MORE.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...