27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 10:06 AM by anadyr RSS

Status and treatment at a hotel

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here is one person's plea not to allow status to interfere with guest treatment!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Georgia, USA
  • Re: Status and treatment at a hotel
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

great article.  However, I do not agree that TREATMENT was at issue.  I believe the person was simply asking that the basic level of service be equal.  case in point, of course 12 people in first class will get 'serviced' more often than the 120 in coach.  simple numbers....   the person also acknowledged acknowledged 'elite' members should receive above and beyond treatment.  at least, that is how I read the article....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We all see things differently Shoeman and this is one more time.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I have never paid to fly in first class nor have I ever stayed in a ritz carlton hotel, but if I did, I would expect very exceptional treatment for the prices charged.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

I guess that is my point.  well said.  thanks.

now I get it!  Thanks Husker and apologies to Shoeman too

Steppingstones, and probably other Insiders as well, the only time I was in a 1st class seat was in the "old" days when, if in uniform, we could fly military stand-by at one half of coach fare.  If there was an empty seat up front, a GI usually got it, courtesy of one of the nice stewardesses.  Can you imagine how many of the free Beam and coke's I, at the time an E-3, drank between SFO and ATL upon return from SE Asia?  No more military stand by, and empty seats in 1st class are rare.

I got FC as an 01 but it was an hour long flight and in the day when you might be spit on for wearing the Army Uniform (1969)

I remember returning home and thinking the enemy had followed us. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Husker, the one and only time I have ever flown first class was when I was in uniform.  Two days ago, just for grins, I priced a round ticket to Frankfurt from SFO.  $1500 economy, $4500 business class, ready for this?  $15,000 for first class.  'Nough said.

"Nough said"...

I should've mentioned.  I still have my uniform in the closet.  Any bets on whether or not it'll fit?

No, I do not want to bet on that.  Still have mine, which do not fit (except for my boots).  Not the lean, mean fighting machine I once was, Ha!

My cap still fits!

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I hear you on that one Nuhusker. I have rarely ever flown coach, and at the same time rarely pay for the first class airline seating I get (Don't ask, LOL!) but regardless of how I get there, I expect #1 service regardless.

We need to fly with you!!!!

Where do you want to go? How about Pittsburgh! We can fly a circle around the city in first class, and then I will be back home. Renaissance w/upgrades, then off to DoubleDays! LOL!

Actually the key to my first class upgrades is through the AMEX Black Centurion Card. I get Gold Preferred automatically on 3 different airlines, which then continually carry over based on The STAR Alliance to a large number of other airlines. A whooping $7500 annual fee a year though. I am still Grandfathered at $2500 for being a first year member. Do a Google search and you will see what I mean....try American Express "Centurion" or "black card". This is a serious card to help benefit all travelers. It is specifically travel related, and I think is by invite only.

I had the predecessor card when I was flying all the time Al, it was the "double secret probation" Platinum from AMEX that gave me lounge access and guaranteed FC seats within 72 hours. I could bump everyone but the Pass Plus folks (who are  Sehr häufig  fliers),this makes sense and I suppose can be considered a business expense for taxes?

Same deal, but they bumped up the name, as well as the annual fee considerably. You know what I am referring to then, obviously.

Write everything off, I always say, and let them sort it out later! LOL!

I am even writing off my time on this forum, LOL!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

al,

Other than me, you are the first person I have met who has a "Centurion, Black Card".  I have been a AMEX cardholder since 1973, and really wish Marriott did more promotions with AMEX.  I use mine for both travel, dining reservations and getting good seats at various shows or events.  Today I got some seats to Crosby, Stills and Nash via AMEX and I don't really know much about them, but I will save that for another post!

Thanks for all you fine posts, AL!

Thank you very much for your generous post, Jerry!

Yes. Us Centurion card holders are few and far between. You really have to be a member to understand all of the true travel benefits, but if you travel a lot, they are certainly worthwhile. I am just so happy I was grandfathered in terms of the annual fee. The new cost is a bit outrageous.

Please let me know about how the CSN concert turns out. I would love to see that one. Have seen a lot of great concerts this year though, so I cannot complain too much.

It did always bother me that AMEX and Marriott do not have much of a connection at all. Especially how they do with Starwood, Hilton, and ICG. I think Marriott and AMEX would really benefit from a joint venture, but Marriott really runs a tight ship in terms of getting points. It seems to be either stays, Visa, or the Shopping mall. That is it!

I still have about a million Hilton points just lying around (and be sure I add at least a point a year as they will expire) but they are easy to get. I even have a yahoo search toolbar which gives me like 2 points per 3 searches or something to that effect. Also, many airlines transfer to Hilton, but I do not know of any that do Marriott. Do you? If you do, please let me know. That is why Marriott points are so precious and rare, like gemstones (or old coins! LOL!)

Thanks for all your fine posts, Jerry!

Al,

I had no idea the cards have got that expensive!  I pay the same as you and hope it does not get more expensive.  I will tell you when they call for reservations people seem to really try to accommodate AMEX customers. 

I want to see if I can get some information on CSN.

Jerry, they cranked the price up years ago, unless you were Grandfathered like the 2 of us were. Thank goodness! I do not know if I would have stayed if they raised my price to the new one. It would have been a tough call!

Marriott & AMEX combo would be idea. I have thought that for years, but no real progress in that area, unfortunately.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jerry, can you tell me if having a platinum Delta Skymiles AMEX would enable us to get tickets to sporting events like the Ryder Cup?

razorback,

They may be able to, but I have my doubts.  Why don't you call them directly as well as Delta and ask.  It's funny how some of these things work.  Brokers control so many events that it is really a frustrating racket at times to get tickets for simple venues.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

No kidding.  That's why I love the A380's so much.  It's like flying a luxury hotel.  All of the first class mates are in their 'suites,' the business class are settled in their 'upgraded rooms,' and the rest of us are relegated to sitting in the 'lobby,' but oh what a spacious and well appointed  'lobby.'  Wish there were more A380's.  Flying home from Rome in one this June, and I will thoroughly enjoy my 'lobby' seat.  Plus there is an fitness room (spacious area in the back of the plane at the foot of the spiral staircase! )

A380 Airbuses. Love em'! Usairways (which we have a lot of flights with in Pittsburgh) fly then almost exclusively on international trips. They are like flying in a big suite, and there is not really a bad seat on the entire Aircraft! (The French got this one right!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...