20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 12:12 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Renaissance La Defense, Paris!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This has been one of my favorite hotels in Paris.  Especially on week-ends and holiday, when the rates drop.  The California Room serves a nice buffet for breakfast and the CL is open during the week and was available to relax in 24/7.

The dining was excellent and the dining captain (Jack) was consistent.  The GM (Wille L.) was a "Hands on" gentleman who was readily available to greet and accommodate guests.  One thing that one should be award of, if you are driving know exactly what exit to take from the "Circular" or you will get lost.  There is much shopping in the shopping center next door as well as many choices of dining.  You will find all sorts of places for all budgets!

Transportation via rail/metro is very easy from LaDefense and The C-E, is about 15 minutes by Metro and you cannot get lost.  You may want to get off at The AdT and walk down the CE.  This same line will take you directly to the Louvre and you can exit at one of the finest and most attractive Metro stops in Paris, walk into the Louvre, without having to even go outside.  You likewise, may want to take the RER to EuroDisney or Versailles, they are very easy to get to from La Defense.  If you don't have many bags, you can actually get from/to CDG via the RER.  The hotel is a short walk toward the cemetary from the actual La Defense Arch.  You will enter from the first floor or walk down the steps to the hotel lobby.

If you should have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me!  Here are some pictures of the La Defense area.

KIF_0878.JPG

The hotel sits on the other side of La Defense Arch.  Away from the Metro stop!

KIF_0879.JPG

My buddy from Medicine Shoppe, Mendy, poses in fron of a casual dining spot, nest door!

IMG_0314.JPG

Cemetery view from hotel!  There is a section for US VFW's!

Enjoy your stay!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Renaissance La Defense, Paris!
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Fabulous post, Jerry.  Love the pictures.  Didn't know about this cemetery.  Looks interesting.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

Thanks, Jerry. Good to know about this location. We've been to Paris a number of times, and La Defense has grown on me. Last time we were there, my better half was taking a half-day class in baking French pastries & breads, so I took a trip there, just to visit the arch and enjoy the view (and breeze) at the top. Sadly, it was closed, but it really is quite an interesting structure. I was there in younger years when it was new, and I admit that I thought it was a bit of an eyesore when compared to the usual grandeur of Paris. But the French have a way of knowing what will fit in, even if it seems incongruous at first. Sure enough, I've come to love the difference that this interesting structure and the area around it bring!

Jess,

Your post is appreciated!

Welcome to MI!

Do you spend much time in Rome?  Your icon looks like The Colosseum?

By the way, there are many things that never seem to work in the La Defense area, especially escalators.  But, it is still a fun place to visit!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Jerry

I suspect you got to London with no hitches??

safe travels

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Jerry. Please keep us informed about how your London trip is going! How exciting! I have not been back there in a few years (like 3)......

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

Jerry,

Actually, we haven't been to Rome yet. We've been to Italy but not Rome. I picked that icon, because we've been to other towns (in southern France) that have such old Roman structures and I was reminded of those.

-Jess

Jess,

Glad hear about your Southern France and Italian experiences. 

Been to Rome once and am planning to back in December.  Spent time in the Lake Como area and most of France and find those places very relaxing!

Have a great day!

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

We loved Lake Como! An absolutely gorgeous setting! I hear limbs may dissolve off your body if you take a dip (perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration), but it's beautiful and we're definitely going back someday!

Jess,

Never heard that one, but what a great place to enjoy a drive.  If you drive down from St. Moritz, Switzerland you will go from the Alps to a wonderful mild climate in the middle of Winter.  If you drive the roads can be very narrow so take your time.

Jess, thanks for the memories!

Jess,

Can you provide more information on the cooking class that your wife took?  I'm interested.

Thanks!

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

Hi, Pluto! Not wife, actually--partner/spouse--but I don't suppose that matters to your question!  :-)

Here's the website for the place that ran the classes:

http://www.cooknwithclass.com/

Marc is a very good baker already, and he really enjoyed it. I was worried that they would be too simplistic (or, for that matter, too complicated for someone working at home), but it seems that they hit a good balance. And the stuff that they baked in the class (Marc kept what he made, so I got to enjoy!) and that got made at home once we got back all was terrific!

Regards,

Jess

Jess,

Nope.  What a really great idea!  Looking forward to diving in this direction.

A huge thanks!

FH000004.jpg

Pluto, this is the hotel, note, if you are driving our taking a taxi your will enter one level below on the right.  If you are taking the Metro, you will enter the hotel on this level on the left.  10 floors of pleasantry!

Cannot wait!  I am thoroughly excited about this stay.  I will enjoy the high rise geometry and modern architecture for a change.  Plus, the rooms look nice.  Showed my mom the photos of the Arche and the cemetery, and that giant sculpture of the head(?) and she was jazzed too.  I have no problem being at the end of the metro line 1 either.  While it will probably take 10 minutes to get to CE or Concorde or Louvre, thinking about it, it would take that long from Rive Gauche or even Parc Trocadero (because of line changes).  Even stepping out of Ren Vendome, which is on a side street with no view, it would take 10 minutes to walk to le Louvre, so I am totally okay with Ren LD.  Last time I stepped out the front door of the C-E, there was an Algerian riot of World Cup happiness going on on the Champs, so ya, I'm excited about this hotel stay for the 'new and different' factor.  In fact, next trip to Paris, might even try that new CY Bologne (sp?) for something new and different, just for grins.  Eh, we'll see.

Thanks for posting the photo!

Pluto,

One thing you will enjoy at the end of a full day is the peace and quiet of the hotel.  It will be a comfort for all your loved ones that they will enjoy a hotel that will make them comfortable and enjoyable.  If your there during the week our get the food vouchers, it is always nice for people to feel they can dine when they  want or need to and not have to dine every meal by "Committee".  You love them all but everyone has different "Body clocks".

For something different, go next door to Auchon (A bird symbolizes them), and go thru two floors of a "French Wal Mart".  You will be amazed at the fresh food , flowers and crowd.  What a place to buy some vino, or items to take with you when you leave Paris.  You won't see low prices like this too often in Europe.

If Jack still manages the dining at the hotel, tell him hello.  He used to work in Houston, Texas at Tony's (I think it was Tony's) and waited on us in the 80's.  Great guy!

As my forum name implies, I really dig all of the Renaissance properties, and would LOVE to go here. What wild architectural elements involved here!

Al,

You would have a great time here, save some points/money and really relax, especially on a week-end!

Hi Pal!

I could use a 1/2 month or so. Lots to do while there every time.. I love how they change around the Imperial War Museum a lot, while in London. as it is different every time I go. Very cool. So exactly what are you doing? I thought you were doing London/Paris, probably via Chunnel. Is it 178 mph or 187mph?  I always enjoy it as I like to feel the speed, as well as see the landscape. I think the former. Heck I am not going to Google it, as I like relying on "gut remembering"!  Jess is talking about Rome and other stuff as well. I am confused a bit (cause of the chaotic last several days). What exactly is your  itinerary?

Do not spend too many Euro's if outside of GB, LOL!

Let me know what is up, enjoy, Al.

Al,

Most of my itinerary is primarily shopping and dining.  Never been to the Imperial War Museum, but plan on it this trip, thanks for bringing it up.  Will have some new pictures and surprises for MI soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...