45 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 4:58 PM by alrenaissance RSS

Being Left Handed is not a Crime...Is it?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hey we lefties have to stick together so all you southpaws out there--chime in:

• What is your favorite discrimination story?  Mine was the desks in elementary school obviously created by right-handers for their own ilk and not me.

• What happened when you were discovered to have the wonderful attribute that only ten percent of the population has?  My first grade teacher tried to get me to work right handed and gave up. My handwriting was fair until I hand wrote my Ph.D. dissertation to give to the typist.  Then it was as if I had graduated from Medical School!

• Have you been able to lead a normal life? In my case, you can be the judge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Being Left Handed is not a Crime...Is it?
    erc Platinum

Back in the day when water was free and before cable tv (heck, color tv) pre-little leaguers didn't already have Nike Air Diamond or Wilson 3000 gloves, if gloves at all. This meant we used the fielders' glove when we finished hitting - of course, no one but yours truly was left handed, so I had to mangle the righthanders glove onto my little paw which made me feel, to use another old fart reference, like Aquaman.

The good news, by learning how to do most things right handed, hit (switch, actually), box, cut paper, etc, I realized it could actually become a benefit (although I could never write with both hands at the same time like my chemistry teacher - amazing!).

Life has been grand, except for when I'm in a booth at Outback next to a starting right handed offensive tackle.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Three cheers for Lefties, the least sinister group in the world.

chicagoblue Gold 4 Reviews

Scissors were  the worst tool on the planet for lefties back in the day!

But as we all know there are only two types of people in this world....

Left Handed People and those who wish they were left handed people

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I don't ever recall encountering any discriminatory actions (or devices!) against being a lefty, although I'm sure they exist.  (Also, I've never been to an Islamic nation!)  As a matter of fact however, the term left or left-handed is discriminatory in it's original meaning.  In addition to NOT being sinister, we are NOT clumsy, awkward, broken, crippled, or defective as a result of being left-handed!  I will say that I cannot cut hair like the pros, who if you notice keep the comb and the sheers in the same hand, as well as use the same hand to cut and comb.  I am a fumbling mess there.  When dining, I must sit at the end of the table so that no one is sitting to my left, or else there will be copious bumping of elbows.

I do many things with my right hand, including cutting with scissors, archery, hunting/shooting, hit and bat...hmmm when I putt, I swing to the left.  What does that make me as far as golfing goes?  I am left-handed at writing and all manner of small tools, appliances and instruments, as well as scrubbing, sewing, and humor -- oh wait, nevermind!  Walking stick?  Left hand.  Umbrella?  Left hand.  The purse goes over the left shoulder.  Babies in my left arm, which is why the left elbow and shoulder now give me a hint of trouble.  Since I am skilled with either my left hand OR my right hand, I am not truly ambidextrous, except perhaps with stringed instruments, in which case, both ways feel comfortable.  Wow, remember baton twirlers?  I am ambidextrous at that too (now there's a useful skill!)

The fork and the writing utensil were always placed on my right, and I always picked them up and put them in my left hand, or so I am told, until my mother finally conceded my fate.

My life has been far from "normal," and I wouldn't change that for the world!

Vive la Gauche!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I write right handed, I play golf right handed, I throw left handed, I bat right handed, I eat left handed (including using chopstick), I play tennis left handed...so am I left handed or right handed???

You are even-handed!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

So what you are saying is my IQ does not go into either the right or left handed scenerio!!!

Ahh, so des ne...for the purposes of the study, you fall into the right-handed scenario, which is good for right handers, as you brought their average up!!

Here's a question:

Are most right handers right handed at most things, and likewise, are most left handers left handed at most things?

Perhaps we are conundrums.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Left is right, in my book.

We are left out sometimes in a world of right-handers (or under-handers as they call themselves)

carguy Platinum 1 Reviews

Steppingstones:  This has nothing to do with being left handed unless you want to call this a left handed compliment on your book. An excellent read.

I am sure some of it was all the positive energy from the Marriott you stayed in while writing.( Had to get a Marriott reference in there.)

Any way congratulations on an excellent book.

erc Platinum

Since it's lefty day, here's a question from left field. What the heck type of machine did Dr. Weaver create and why would the gov't shut it down after so many years? Inquiring (or at least pea-brained) minds want to know. R.I.P. Nancy. Good job SS, but I need pictures!

Is this a question that only SS can answer?  Because I have wracked my brain and come to the conclusion that both the question and the answer must be fictitious in nature.

It is visible as a question and an answer to Plutonium Lifetime Elite members, and at the moment I am the only one

erc Platinum

Pluto

Wow, this topic really took off - went to dinner and a show and there were 25 + e-mails in the box. My question (which is available to Platinums who were former planets) was in regards to the author's spy thriller Stepping Stones. The answer is apparently only for Plutoniums or readers of the yet written sequel. Oh well.

Thanks car guy.  My agent thanks you too since this allows her to raise her commission!  Just kidding in case she is reading this.  Anyhow, the truth has set me free

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I can tell you off the bat that as a Certified Shooting Instructor for the National Rifle Association, that very few guns are made to accommodate left-handers, and when they are obtainable, generally bring a premium. If that is any start for you.

As an expert rifleman with the badge to prove it in the Army, I can attest to the value of learning to fire right handed.

See. The best they really have out there is perhaps ambidextrious. With the M-16, you could get hot brass in the face until they put the brass deflector on years later.

Friend is an H and K exec and showed me the newest things--with deflectors and all

I am also a big HK fan. My favorite is SIGSAUER. Swiss designed, German manufactured. They really got it together on that one. I even have a handcrafted Sig P210. Big bucks, all Swiis designed and made, but the price of it, plus tariff throws it into the big $$$ category. One of my prides and joys though.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

My husband is left handed, so I asked him this question.  He said he just always adapted to whatever the situation was.  I sure would like to know what his IQ is...he knows so much about so many different things (he calls it useless information), that I bet he falls in the 140+ range.  As an educational diagnostician who routinely administered IQ tests to children (both gifted and disabled), I always resisted the urge to test him!

I write right handed, but iron left handed and putted and batted left hand when I was young.  As a teacher, one of the hardest thing I ever tried to do was teach children how to write left handed.  Thank goodness, my assistant who was left handed, was able to take over that responsibility.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...