79 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2012 6:48 PM by alrenaissance Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Great "Hamburger Bar" down the street from Pittsburgh Renaissance

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am glad you and your friends had a great time in the Burgh' Jerry. I am thinking that the hamburger joint is a classic called "white castle" of which the first was in Pittsburgh. It has been around a LONG time, and actually most grocery stores in this area at least have the little mini burgers (frozen) for sale. I do not know if it is nationwide or not. If that was not the location, it may be a little independant place which is right down the street from the hotel, but more then likely it was the White Castle. Sound familiar?

My favorite dish at the Kiku is actually the Tako (octopus). It is a really fresh, firm, white meat which I have acquired a strong preference for over the years. Sometimes I like it better than Lobster!

Let me know if you make it back this way, as I can recommend some really good new places to eat which are new to the area. Enjoy your day!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
  • Re: Rude is as rude does--France again
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

alrenaissance,

Thanks for the update, but it was not "White Castle", they are famous here in St. Louis, but I have never been there.  This place was an independent local place that was old and just down the street from the hotel. About a block away from the hotel and river.  It is no big thing.  This is why I now carry my camera to record such places and experiences.  Thanks for the information on Kiku, that was the place we dined.  It was a night of storms and the lightning show was spectacular from the place.

Have a great day!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Was it Primante Brothers?  They are a great PGH institution like Danny's was in South Park.  As we say, "you'ins should try em."

Primante does not have a location close to Renaissance, although they have expanded to other areas. There is a little independant place right on the same block as the hotel, but everythng is so compressed in that area. I do know where Jerry is talking about though, it is just that they name eludes me right now.

Danny's is about 4 miles from my house! It is still really good, but the prices are out-of-control these days. Still best Steak Hogie in the area!

You'ins should try em! Yep! LOL!

I love lightening. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the place, but I know where you are talking about, it is on the same side as the hotel, just right down the street. I asked my girlfriend, and she does not remember the name either. I will find out, as it is driving me crazy!

Google Maps will know!

Good point. That was my next stop. I am at work now, but will get to it as I know where it is geographically. Good suggestion SS.

Does not sound familiar, I will research.

That was the neighborhood place according to Google Maps

That is so funny! It included the link to the tavern. This is not the place I am thinking of though. This is more "upscale" not hometown, LOL!

Uh oh, SS, Communitymanager made us primetime, live, LOL!

I am literally driving by that place tomorrow night. That should settle it! (as long as that is the place Jerrycoin is referring to!)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm looking forward to hearing where it is for my next visit to the Steel city.

I should be able to make a full report tonight on the Hamburger place, LOL! It will be late, but I am heading down!

Good luck, alrenaissance,

The place I enjoyed was NOT upscale, but rather historic.  It had a long bar in it, and most of the patrons were drinking beer right from the bottle!

Andy a trip to the Burgh is not to be missed.  We Pittsburghers have left for greener pastures but we can alwayspittsburgh.jpg dream of going back!

Beautiful picture SS, I will see it at night which is an even better sight, when you come through the Fort Pitt Tunnels and BOOM! The city is right there, even though you did not expect it!

Did it snow or just get chilly down at the "crick" where the "chimleys" are?

We are expecting real American snow this evening. The high today and tomorrow is only 46. I am glad I did not put in my grass seed as I was going to 2 weeks ago. O did rototill the area, so at least I have a start.

• Re: Great "Hamburger Bar" down the street from Pittsburgh Renaissance

Alright! I found out, and actually ate at the restaraunt! It is called DOUBLEDAYS, and has been there almost 45 years!

IT WAS GOOD TOO! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! GOOD PRICE TOO!

• Re: Great "Hamburger Bar" down the street from Pittsburgh Renaissance

Al,

Any new stories?  We enjoy your comments.