1 2 3 7 Previous Next 103 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 10:57 AM by erc RSS

What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 19 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Since most Insiders will earn Free Category 4 hotel certificates from Marriott's current Mega Bonus promotion, I was thinking it might be a good idea to share your favorite Category 4 hotels with other members.  I've noticed lots of Insiders have mentioned in different post that they prefer Category 5 or higher hotel which is also a preference of mine.  There are however some fun places to stay that are at the Category 4 Level.

My personal favorite is the Courtyard by Marriott in Burbank, CA.  It is definitely my favorite spot to stay when in the LA area.  The hotel is surrounded by palm trees and the Courtyard area has a large pool, whirlpool, and fire pit.  All of the rooms are spacious and feature great bedding, HD TVs, and refrigerators.  If you're lucky you might also score a room with a balcony view of the courtyard/pool area.  There are multiple restaurants and shops in walking distance.  This hotel is also a short drive to Universal Studios, Warner Brothers, and downtown Hollywood.  I highly recommend checking it out.

So what is your favorite Category 4 hotel??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Preston, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Preston Marriott Hotel
Williamsburg, Virginia, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area
  • 1. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 9 Reviews

To find hotels in a particular category go to link below:

Marriott Rewards Points | Redeem Marriott Rewards Points

At this link, go to categories and Tiers under hotels

There go to view hotels by category and put in the category you are interested in viewing

For example, if you put in category 4 then the search will pull up all category 4 hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 9 Reviews

My favorite Category 4 hotel is JW Marriott, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The last time I stayed there, I was upgraded to an incredible suite and the customer service was also great..Would recommend this hotel to any insider and it is a bargain for a Category 4 hotel!!

• 3. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 21 Reviews

Great topic!

I recommend the following category 4 hotels:

Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, CA

Courtyard San Diego Central (prefer San Diego Marriott La Jolla, but it is now a 5)

Long Beach Marriott (prefer the Ren LB, but now a cat 5)

The Courtyard Long Beach is a cat 3, and very well located (a block from the Ren), plus you can get a harbor view.  Kids stayed there and liked it.  Long Beach is a great place to visit.

Renaissance Boulder Flat Iron Hotel, Broomfield, CO (Denver suburb)

If you're on the east/west interstate (I40) and need to stop for the night, Albuquerque Marriott.

Residence Inn, Salinas, CA (cat 4) is a very decent alternative to the Monterey Marriott (cat 5) and breakfast is included.  The RI is only 20 minutes from the peninsula.

Irvine Marriott, CA.  We use for overflow when at Newport Coast.  It's a very nice hotel which treats their elite customers special, and it's only a couple of miles farther than the Newport Beach Marriott Bayview (cat 5), at about half the price!

When visiting the Inland Empire, Southern CA, Springhill Suites, Corona, CA is a very acceptable property with very professional staff. < cat 4

When visiting Boise, ID, Courtyard Meridian/Boise West.  Really wonderful newer property, only a cat 2!

Stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Branson, MO on a free night cert (cat 4) last Thanksgiving.  The FI wasn't bad, just wasn't great.  Moved over to Marriott's MVC Willow Ridge (cat 5) after the first night.  Way better property for just a few extra dollars on an elite deal.

Almost forgot, Courtyard Las Vegas Convention Center and the Fairfield Inn are both cat 4, and the FI provides breakfast.  I notice there is also a new cat 4 Springhill Suites at the convention center area.  Also, I never go to Vegas for the fun of it, so...usually personal business, so that's my perspective.

• 4. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 51 Reviews

Pluto,

Agree with you on the Long Beach Marriott!

Likewise on the Branson, Mo choice.  The reason I stay mainly at the RI in Branson, is the upgraded 2 BR Suite with a fireplace.

The Ren. Boulder is another surprising and pleasant place.

Thanks for reminding me!

• 5. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    anadyr Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Great posts.  There are 64 Category 4 hotels in California and I'd recommend most of them, with a few exceptions of course.  One of my favorites is the San Mateo SFO Airport Marriott with its two level suites and nice concierge lounge.

• 6. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    erc Platinum 1 Reviews

Tysons Corner Marriott, Fairview Park Marriott - Northern Virginia - great weekend rates, breakfast buffets for platinum

Residence Inn Pentagon City

• 7. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?

all very nice too

• 8. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 51 Reviews

Thanks for letting me know that Tyson's Corner Marriott is a class 4, Have stayed there and it was a great stay!

• 9. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    jep2020 Platinum

ERC, JCOIN

I have seen Tyson Corner recommend several times. Do you have a secret for getting to and from the airport. In for a layover, midnight to 3: next afternoon. Any ideas for the time.

Thanks

• 10. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 19 Reviews

If your flying into Regan Airport there is the Metro line that will take you to different areas of DC and Northern Virginia.  The Metro line is also coming to Dulles within the next few years.  Once it does Dulles and Tyson's Corner will be connected.

http://www.wmata.com

• 11. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    erc Platinum 1 Reviews

Cab is about $35 each way, so rent a car, take Dulles Access straight to RT. 7 and you're there. Next morning enjoy the buffet (or concierge depending on which nite you're staying) and based on interest;
    go back out to Vienna and see Foxstone Park , where Robert Hanson's drop point was (ask Stepping Stones) then onto Meadowlark Botanical Gardens for a nice stroll among the flowers or

hit the two Tysons Malls - both upscale, Galleria highest - lunch at Seasons 52 (Tysons 1) is good  or my favorite,

go back toward Dulles airport and go to Udvar-Hazy (Smithsonian) Air and Space - terrific - free admission opens at 10am, but parking around $12-15

Enjoy

• 12. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?

Good old DC, land of red cones and unfinished roads. At least those lumbering mobile lounges at Dulles have been retired in favor of real rail transportation to and from the gates.

You may grow very old waiting for the Metro subway to be completed as far as the terminal at Dulles Airport so rent a car, off airport is cheaper than on.  Once completed the METRO fare might be more costly than your flight into Dulles but you need not pass a TSA checkpoint to get on - yet.

Remember to have your ticket with you at all times less you stray off the Dulles Access Road and get fined--I wish I were making this up--for using the free road when the toll road was there!!!!  Beware the continual construction at the beltway around Tyson's Corner, which apparently will be finished within the next decade based on current progress,

Don't worry about Bobby Hanssen's exploits, just take the Spy Tour instead and get a flavor for bad things done by bad people without having to go to Capitol Hill  And bring clothes for all seasons--which might happen in a twelve hour period in the Spring in DC.

• 13. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?
    jep2020 Platinum

Well, to think I used to love DC, down town. But now that you have stirred all the bad memories I think we may stay at the Fairfield, use the shuttle, and stay close to the airport so we don't get into trouble.

Thanks all

• 14. Re: What's your favorite Category 4 hotel?

Go on the bus to the Crystal Gateway, the Metro runs underneath and it's a nice place to stay

1 2 3 7 Previous Next