4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 3:55 PM by mtgbrkrinfl RSS

question about room upgrade - Gold elite

actuary67 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I was wondering how common it is to receive a room upgrade as a Gold elite member.  I've stayed a couple of times now as a new Gold elite member, but no dice.  Most recently (this past weekend),I stayed at a Courtyard with a half-empty parking lot, and with a number of upgraded rooms showing on the reservation site... however, when I asked if any room upgrades were available for the night, the reply was a firm "no".  What gives?  Is it at the discretion of the hotel, or is it supposed to be automatic (assuming they have rooms)?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: question about room upgrade - Gold elite
    mtgbrkrinfl Gold 1 Reviews

It depends on the property.  It's best to ask at the desk when checking in if they have an upgrade available for your gold status.  I've found most front desk associates will give you the upgrade when you are friendly and kind to them (a tip helps too!)  I've had a rare hotel just flatly say no and also not offer any amenity for your status/loyalty... I don't go back to those (ie, I will never ever stay at the courtyard in Boyton Beach again!)  Resorts are a little tighter with the upgrades and really depends on occupancy, but usually offer some type of ammenity.

Remember, most properties are not Marriott owned, but Marriott managed so it is difficult for Marriott to ensure the same exact standard at every property.  My experience has been that most of the time I am given an upgrade as a recognition of my gold status.  It is not automatic though, you have to ask almost every time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

actuary67 Gold 1 Reviews

Thank you very much - that is helpful information !    I definitely was friendly and kind - I was quite surprised, though, when she said that there was nothing available (it was at a pretty basic Courtyard) when the hotel was relatively empty ...

actuary67 Gold 1 Reviews

p.s. this was the Courtyard in Saratoga Springs, NY 

mtgbrkrinfl Gold 1 Reviews

sometimes I check online to see if an upgrade is available (depends on property type too).  If there is one available to book and I don't get an answer I expected, I'll ask them to speak to a manager to see if they have an upgrade available.  It's very rare you don't get some recognition... if a property doesn't acknowledge the loyalty, I never stay there again.  Our loyalty to the brand should be recognized.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...