3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2012 4:58 PM by communitymanager RSS

Transfers of Marriott Rewards Points upon Death

lentucson Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have earned over 3M MR points over the years and currently have in excess of 1M.

Upon my death, I understand that my points can be transferred to my wife.  However, we cannot have the points transferred to our children or grandchildren under our wills.

I would like to see a discussion and outcry among Marriott Rewards members to have this policy changed.

MR points are much too valuable to have them not be able to moved across generations.

Most of the airline programs and some of the hotel programs permit this type of transfer upon death.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Transfers of Marriott Rewards Points upon Death
    communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate
    Currently Being Moderated

Greetings lentucson - you are right about the official policy and I realize you're looking to have this changed but I wanted to include the terms in case someone isn't aware of the policy. It's also available within the Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions at http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi#conditions

"Accrued Points and Miles do not constitute property of the Member. Points accrued by a Rewards Program Member are for the Member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone except as provided below. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. In addition, there is a limited exception for the transfer of Points into the Rewards Account of a legal spouse or domestic partner in order to qualify for a specific Reward. See “Earn Points – Transferring Points from One Account to Another.” Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance. Any Points which Marriott Rewards deems in its sole discretion to have been transferred in violation of Rewards Program Terms and Conditions may be confiscated."

Thanks for your loyalty and all the best - safe travels!

Andy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...