14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2012 2:39 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Multiple Names on One Account

asorum Gold
Currently Being Moderated

This might have been discussed here before, but it would really help to have my spouse added to my Marriott Rewards account. We work for different organizations and can often coordinate our travel. As conferences are hosted in Anchorage, we can usually get one of the nearby Marriott properties to match the costs of the host hotel. Paying for the room is often via a purchase order and when it's in the wrong person's name, it's hard to get credit for making the extra effort to stay with a Marriott property.

The ability to add my spouse's name to my rewards account would allow me to stay at a Marriott more often. I tried talking to customer service about this, but was placed on terminal hold. I think this would be a plus for the program. Is anyone from Marriott willing to look into the idea?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Multiple Names on One Account
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Aso,

I like it. I'm not sure what the downside would be for Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vbandsf Platinum 2 Reviews

Not just spouses but also domestic partners, please!  Although I got married in CA when it was legal, but the fed govt doesn't recognize it.

heatherjt Marriott Associate

Thanks asorum.  I will share your point-of-view with my colleagues but I will tell you that Marriott Rewards is about rewarding an individual.  As such it really goes against the principles of the program to have more than one person associated with an account (although I can see how it would make your life easier!).  I'll take it back but I wouldn't be too optimistic about this policy changing.  Thanks!

fhllast4ever Platinum

I would like to see a family account , in addition to individual account.  This way anyone in my family can use my points

without problems when I'm not travelling with them  and when I die it is still theirs with no need for legal transfer or wills.

asorum Gold

Thanks for the interest. Most of the time, my wife can check-in without me and staff have no problems with the rewards program, when we are personally paying for the stay. It gets more difficult when her employer or the state is covering the cost of the stay, even through she has control of which hotel to use. I'm usually with her on many of these trips. Having two Marriott reward accounts seems impracticable. Changing the policy shouldn't cost much to Marriott, but they could play up the benefit significantly to people with families in the rewards program.

Thanks again!

Alan

allyson Platinum 4 Reviews

I suspect that the change you propose would cost Marriott significantly.  Think of the couple who both travel for work... they each only have to stay half the ngihts to reach Elite status.  Then they continue to travel separately for business and Marriott is awarding Elite benefits twice as often.

It would also discriminate against single MR members, unless a different number of nights are needed to reach Elite status on family accounts. (increasing the complexity and therefore expense of administering MR program)  This would especially become a problem when "add spouse" turns to "add adult children, add parents, retain multiple ex-spouses, add personal assistants..."  The list could go on forever.

Not sure why you think each person having their own account is impractical.  I know many couples whose business travel results in each obtaining Elite status on two different loyalty programs (i.e. Marriott and SPG).  This actually provides them with more flexibility when scheduling family vacations so they can pick and choose the perks needed for a specific trip or greater availability of an award room in the given locale.

ronaitken Platinum

This option doesn't hurt Marriott's because the point system is the same it just allows them to combine for higher totals and use them sooner. The points get paid out either way on lower point totals for lower items or nights at Marriott's. I'm sure Marriott has a system that doesn't allow them to lose big on points or they would be broke already.

bigmrm Platinum

I guess I'd have to agree sharing an account with a partner/spouse would skew the lifetime and yearly night totals unacceptably. Not that I wouldn't like it, of course :-)  But do note that one already can transfer points to a spouse in conjunction with redeeming an award. Isn't that almost what you are asking to do?

"Immediately prior to Reward Redemption, a Member may authorize the transfer of the necessary number of Points into the Rewards Program account of his/her legal spouse or domestic partner, in order to qualify for a specific Reward."

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think that within reason a spouse or partner should be able to share an account

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

any idea what 'within reason' would look like?  I totally agree that our spouses/partners deserve to be a part of what we have earned, but aren't they already?  what advantage would you like to bestow upon them that they currently do not have?

asorum Gold

The advantage is that we could receive credit for stays that my wife and I have that are for the State of Alaska or NOAA that are direct bills and are under my wife's name. We both attend and get to choose the hotel, but the rewards system doesn't work if the reservation is in her name. It probably only happens a few times a year. If we get to pay for the stay, there is no problem. It doesn't seem worth setting up a second account, when it would be better for us to just share one rewards membership number.

asorum

seems reasonable.  this is a good start to a 'reasonable' list.  I'm assuming that you are not requesting a combined-nights scenario where, for instance, you both reach the same elite level once your combined nights gets you there.  correct?  Seems that would definitely be a sticking point which Marriott.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 56 Reviews

Think it will happen!  Not much of a reason for it not too.  Seem's like you would get a lot more "Family" loyalty.

Jerry

so, would you combine nights in reference to achieving elite status?  Can anyone think of ANY travel-related loyalty program that is issued to a family? 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...