7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 2:38 AM by tryt53 RSS

How much do you tip hotel maids?

nanaglo45 Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am curious as to what others actually tip housekeeping for tidying up their rooms. Do you tip daily (since different maids may clean your room each day)? Do you leave a larger tip upon departure since there's more cleaning to do? I wanted to get a feel as to whether I'm being cheap, generous, or average. I usually leave $5/day and up to $10 upon checkout if I've stayed more than a day or two.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How much do you tip hotel maids?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I try to follow the local customs of the country I'm in, so I tend to tip most (assuming the service is good) in Rome and Paris.  In the US, at higher level Marriotts I usually tip $5 a day; at Courtyards about $2.  Here's an article that suggests what to do:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/good-amount-tip-hotel-housekeeping-52671.html

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the link. I, too, usually tip less at a Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, or Springhill Suites. I see from the article that I must be really overtipping when in the UK, but, oh well...

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 59 Reviews

Exactly what I do as well!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you profchiara, We typically tip in Mexico, but would have also thought it was common at all International upper brand hotels.  That article makes sense.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I would rather not answer the question, but I would be most grateful if someone would post a poll on the subject.  I have my suspicions  what the poll might find and would like to see if I am correct.  would someone please put together the poll?  thanks!

I thought this might be a slightly sensitive issue and too personal for many. I, too, think a poll would be interesting, but, unfortunately, I am not a 'pollmaker'. Where is he when we need him??!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...