6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 11:54 AM by bazzap RSS

Problems using rewards for Hertz in the UK

daveq Member
Currently Being Moderated

This is a SERIOUS WARNING to anyone who might think of hiring a Hertz car with rewards points. The small print says it doesnt include taxes and insurance, which may not seem like a big issue - but it certainly is, here in the UK at least. When I arrived at the Hertz desk with my voucher I was told the cost of the (so-called 'optional') insurances for a week was £300. This was more than the cost of hiring a car direct from Hertz myself, including insurance. Weird or what? The Hertz branch manager apologised, and said this happens quite frequently - embarrasing for them, and unexpectedly expensive for the us.

To Marriot Rewards management: Your current Hertz voucher is completly pointless, so I suggest you remove it from the system, or include all relevant optional charges.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Problems using rewards for Hertz in the UK
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for the warning on this..Marriott Insider's beware!!!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

laurac Marriott Associate

daveq, thanks for your post about the Hertz awards.  The folks on our team gave me an update on this -- hopefully some good news for you!

The Hertz rewards that you are referring to are being retired (yes, the insurance issue is something they’ve been working on for some time), and these have been replaced by a new online “air & car” rental tool.  With this new online tool, members will be able to book car reservations with cash and points (minimum 14K points) and get reservations for the exact date, time, and place that they want their car reservation, thus eliminating the prior two-step process of getting an award certificate and then booking a car.  Please visit https://www.marriottrewardsairandcar.co.uk/travel/arc.cfm?tab=a for more details.  You’ll see that for international car rentals, collision damage waiver as well as theft protection is included in the reservation.  FYI, the current UK Hertz Award certificates (other than the $50 US, $100 US, and the $250 US) will no longer be available for redemption after 12/31/2011.

US members can visit https://www.marriottrewardsairandcar.com/travel/arc.cfm?TAB=a for more info.

Regards,

Laura

bazzap Platinum

A great initiative - I hoped.

I immediately tried to reserve a car for our trip to Marriott Club Son Antem Majorca for next June/July using this new tool, with "no preference" specified on car type.

Unfortunately, having entered our dates, I received the message

"There are no Hertz Cars available during the dates you have selected."

I have never found a problem getting a Hertz car at Palma (PMI) airport before using my Hertz Gold Card.

I wonder why this tool can not offer any availability?

daveq Member

I also tried to book a car at Innsbruck, both next March, and this December, and got the same message as you. Maybe the system is so new it doesnt work yet!

daveq Member

But just tried Bristol airport for next week, and it is offering cars OK.

NB: I would still be very wary, as the Terms & Conditions arent very clear, e.g.:

(6) Rates do not include taxes, service charges or other additional fees unless otherwise noted. Charges for optional services such as insurance waivers, fuel, additional or underage drivers, special equipment charges, etc. are not included in your rental. All such taxes, service charges, additional fees and charges for optional services must be paid directly to Hertz in cash, not points. Please contact your insurance company if you are unsure whether to accept rental ¬car company insurance.

There is no explicit mention that "collision damage waiver as well as theft protection is included". Indeed that was Hertz argument when I had the problem - that such insurances are optional, and so are not included - even though no-one in their right mind would forego them.

bazzap Platinum

Thanks for the update.

I will indeed remain wary.

I always have an annual worldwide car hire excess insurance, currently from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

I will check out all the Ts & Cs though before making any bookings.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...