53 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 4:26 PM by jasper100 RSS

rollover nights

dustamom Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

How many nights roll over from year to year?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: rollover nights
    ssindc Platinum 38 Reviews

As I understand it, it depends upon your "level"....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

As many nights over the level you've achieved.

Theoretically, if you were able to reach Platinum (75 nights) that leaves 290 rollover nights if you stayed in Marriott hotels every day of the year.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott has complicated the Rollover program. It's not an easy question to answer anymore. In the past, every night spent at a property over the level that one holds would be a rollover night applied to the next year. At the beginning of this year, a change (unannounced) was made to the program that TAKES BACK any rollover nights you had in the previous year. Confused yet?

Let me explain.......in 2010 I had 103 nights in Marriott properties (in my view not bad for a retired guy who only travels for fun and also stays at other hotel chains). As a Platinum level member, I had 28 rollover nights applied to the 2011 year from 2010. In order for me to have a rollover night for 2012 from 2011, I must stay 104 nights in 2011. So, if I stay 104 nights in 2011, I will have ONE (1) rollover night applied to 2012.

The program math... 104 nights in 2011, less status level 75 (Platinum) leaves 29 nights over the Platinum level less the 28 they rolled over last year leaves 1 rollover night applied to 2012.

If you think this is confusing, try reading the blurb they have on it...if you can find it.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

tef..not sure I follow.  Here's what I think.  Any nights rolled over from last year will not roll over again. If you rolled over 20 nights, your account starts with 20. Then each night you stay or earn (CC nights) will apply to gain Gold, Platinum, or PP..   If you started with the 20, stayed 50, and gained 15 from your CC, then your total is 85.  If you were Platinum last year, you are Platinum again.   Going forward, only the current year nights count...So the 50 plus 15 equal 65..no rollover nights.

The same is true if you stayed 80 nights instead of the 50.  Then it would still be platinum attained but roll over nights would be 80 plus 15  equals 95  or 20 to the good....20 roll over nights....

Are we saying the same thing?

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

That's exactly right, PainedPlatinum. Rollover nights will only count into the next year, not beyond, though you will achieve the same or better status for that next year sooner, depending on nights.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pained:

We are saying the same thing in different ways. The biggest point I have is this:

Marriott rolled out a program a few years ago whereby ANY nights in excess of a given level would be rolled over to the next year. Period.

Then, without announcement or published notice of any type, they took away all rollover nights at the beginning of 2011 that had been credited in 2010. There was a huge uproar on this site about it and Andrew had to take the time and a great amount of effort to correct the account of each and every person that complained about it. That was the REAL beginning of so many people having a 'negative' slant on this blog or whatever it now is. A lot of people began to watch everything Marriott did and said. Good business PR on Marriott's part...I think not.

Basically, there is no rollover program. It is only a program that gives a one year credit for nights in excess of the elite status earned. They initially offered the program as 'now your excess nights rollover every year'. No, they don't.....

To make matters worse, there is nowhere on the website that they show you how many of your nights are rollover nights. So, the basic thought process most folks have is that...(if they stay 50, have 20 rollover and 15 CC), the system says I have 85 nights earned this year, so I get 10 rollovers for next year.

Properly, the system activity page should spell out 20 rollover at the top, 15 CC and 50 stays for 75 nights toward current year elite status but only 65 earned nights this year.

I really don't care, but I'd rather they just discontinued the program rather than confuse everybody. This question comes up at least once a week and maybe more, so there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding this program.

michael77 Platinum 8 Reviews

I am with you, I am not happy about this change. Its a no brainer to stay at Marriotts when my nights keep rolling over. But if they make it hard, it will just be as easy to switch chains.

nhtraveler Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree with the complaints about the "new" method of calculating roll-over nights (and I also understand (but don't agree with) the complaints from some Insiders about how roll-over nights devalue the program.) I currently have 120 nights for this year, counting the rollover nights I had last year. In my case, at least, having the rollover nights carry over in total from year to year would immeasurably increases business that I give Marriott. While I guess they would be, in effect, counting the nights more than once, so long as it encourages patrons to continue staying at Marriott properties instead of going somewhere else, what's the problem? Under this new and officially unannounced policy, I'm frankly less inclined to keep staying at Marriott properties. I sort of feel as if my loyalty is not being appreciated.

Rollover nights was a nice idea that no other hotel chain copied.  That shows that they are waiting and seeing how much the promotion impacts them and whether it should be continued, in my opinion. Guess for that reason I am happy that it has lasted two years.

nhtraveler Platinum 2 Reviews

Stepingstones - Thank you for the observation that no other chain has copied the roll-over nights concept. I didn't know that. That does change my perspective, and I agree with you that I'm happy that it has lasted.

Thanks NH--it makes the pain a little less but it's still there.  In my opinion, the concept benefits us more than it does Marriott since it costs them money to allow additional nights in profiles and more Elite members per category. Pingreeman long ago commented that the program's benefits were being diluted by RONs, and lower requirements   for making Lifetime status.

Since Marriott Rewards is free to join, I guess I am less inclined to be worried about this dilution.  If I were paying to be a member that would be a different story.  And, it should be noted that there are many choices out there for lodging, so none of us is wedded to Marriott all the time.  Marriott Rewards keeps us loyal, but there's always a chance that we'll jump when we feel that the favor is not being returned.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

SS,

Actually, I just found out that Club Carlson has adopted the roll-over nights too.

When?

I don't know when they started, but if you go to their rewards page and read the benefits of each category, they all state roll-over nights now.

Thanks I will check that out!

Always glad to help when I can.  That will be 200 post credits please.

Not 2000, that's what I have been giving Jasper?

I want to renegotiate my contract! I think I need to get 2001 posts.  Need to stay just a tiny step ahead of jasper (like THAT will ever happen)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Dream on!!!!

I knew my "under jasper's radar" filter was malfunctioning!  Another MI problem!!

Jasper is all-knowing and all-seeing, and a Steward to boot!!!!

At least I have 1 of those 3!

as for me, none of them

We know better!!

You forgot good looking, marvelous and humble!!!

I'm guessing SS didn't forget at all, and it was probably his intentional omission .  Besides, then I would have had to say I had 1 out of 5 (Oops, can't count.  I mean 1 out of 6)

Jasper, king of Stewards, we salute you!

I am just happy to be one of his Stewards in waiting (better than being a Steward's, or stewardess).

Webster defines Steward as "one employed in a large household or estate to manage domestic concerns (as the supervision of servants, collection of rents, and keeping of accounts)"  Jasper is certainly a domestic person, and keeps us servants under his thumb).

Yes SSSSS..I am trying to get you banned from this site for three hours or until you payoff all your post debts to us less fortunate Insider's. I calculate that you owe most of your posts to Insiders who have faithfully responded to your challenges on this site and have yet to receive the awards that you have promised in writing!!!!

Just fulfilling my responsibility as a King Steward!!!

Better than Purser I suppose.  Check and points in the mail.  Arriving via Aeroflot TU-144 this evening. Watch for debris.

ontherun Platinum

You can find the breakdown on the first page of your account.

ontherun Platinum

ontherun Platinum

marshallp Platinum

Marriott offers the Rollover program.  They don't have to.

The Rollover program program is good.  It has allowed me to make Platinum twice, which has allowed me to earn lot more points than otherwise.

No other chain offers a Rollover program.

How people can complain about such a nice benefit is beyond me.

ankingspeech Gold

I agree. Life is complicated and there is no single way of calculating rollover nights that would suit everyone.

OK I'm not a high earning double platinum for life (and beyond) like many of you, so I for one appreciate the ability for my excess points to last a bit longer.

Remember it also discourages people from not staying towards the end of the year after they have made platinum (for example) and think why acquire any more nights, they will be erased in a few months. Well this way the "excess" nights count for something.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 56 Reviews

ankingspeech,

Well put!

Even though I am a PP, I have never understood how this rollover works.  But as SS stated, it is a very nice feature for gratus.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

jerrycoin

agreed on both points.  I don"t really understand how it works (especially this year), but I appreciate it!

I doubt if any of us would bolt from Marriott Rewards if roll overnights were discontinued. But then again I am often wrong on hunches.  So my question might be:  who among us finds rollover nights to be so important that they are a deal-breaker as far as Marriott Rewards participation goes?

Show of hands, please

for me, your hunch is correct!  heck, I'm not ever certain how it works, and, it does not affect my level or my lifetime status.  I guess I just like anything that is free........

Nice to be right from time to time--that's one for me today I guess

I am opposed to rollover nights as I believe it dilutes the Platinum Status!!!

jasper

agreed

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 56 Reviews

SS,

You are right again!

Who can figure this out?

heatherjt Marriott Associate

Thought it might be good to give you the "official" word on rollover nights too. 

Couple things:

Any nights earned based on stays, promotions, credit cards and Rewarding Events qualify for rollover

Platinum Premier members can rollover nights in excess of 75 (not 100)

Marriott Rewards launched Elite Rollover Nights in 2009 and it is a first-of-its-kind promotion that allows you to carry forward additional nights to the next year.  So any extra nights you rack up on your way to earning Elite status can be applied toward retaining your status the following year.  Basically rollover nights can help you achieve a higher Elite level faster or help you retain status if you wind up not traveling as much.  They do, however, expire after one year (meaning you can't rollover the same nights more than one year).

Here's an example for a Silver Elite member:

5 rollover nights in 2010 (extra from 2009)

20 nights stayed in 2010

The member has 25 nights total in 2010 which is not enough to reach Gold Elite.  10 nights are needed to renew at Silver Elite so the 10 extra nights in 2010 will roll over into 2011.  The 5 nights from 2009 will have expired.

Hope this helps. 

Thankis Heather.  I think the program has merit and have benefitted from it.

• rollover nights

We hadn't realized that this bug existed.  What you see on the computer screen should be the same as your printed version.  Thanks for letting us know about this - it will be fixed by mid-November. 

• rollover nights

Thank you heatherjt!  I would still like to see a central spot where we can report bugs and enhancement requests.  Any ideas of what we could set up for that?

• rollover nights

I'm going to defer to Andy on this because i think he may have already given this some thought.  I believe he was thinking of setting up some sort of support group.  He'll be back Monday or Tuesday (his wedding was this weekend!) and can comment.  Thanks!

ankingspeech Gold

Heather JT,

Can you pass on the MR Insiders' very best wishes for a happy married life. He sorted out our rollover points last year, so he can't be all that bad.

BTW, why the short honeymoon? (Actually, better not ask!)

Of course I will extend best wishes to him but he's in the site more than any of us so I'm sure he's seen everyone's nice messages.  And it's possible that our previous community manager (also Andrew, which I know, is what makes it so confusing) sorted out your rollover points issues, but I assure you this Andy is also up for the task.  He'll be back in the office for a few days this week before he takes a proper honeymoon to Europe! 

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

We're currently collecting suggestions and questions about the Insiders community itself within the Community Suggestions topic area but we're also exploring some additional ideas like Heather mentioned. One idea is to setup a 'support' group where Insiders could discuss enhancements and improvements, etc. Soon, you'll be able to post 'ideas' as a type of content (like discussions, questions, documents, etc) and other insiders can vote on the ideas to surface those 'ideas' with the most interest.

Good idea

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...