2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 7:54 PM by lone6star RSS

How do i get upgrade certificates

mi97tbird Platinum 24 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking at using points to stay at a resort and it askes for 2 upgrade certificates. How do i get them?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: How do i get upgrade certificates
    communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate
    mi97tbird, Please see the following information below regarding upgrade certificates. Based on this information, you may want to contact the property directly. Further information can also be found here: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/usetrms.mi#upgrade. When using Points for a hotel stay, Members may need to redeem additional Points to reserve an "upgraded room," such as a suite or ocean view room. This “Upgrade Reward” may be required for certain room types in addition to a standard hotel Reward. There are two types of Upgrade Rewards, "point upgrades" and "paid upgrades": * "Point" Upgrade Rewards: Point Upgrade Rewards, where Points are used to upgrade a standard hotel Reward, generally “cost” 5,000 Points each. Most upgraded rooms require one or two Point Upgrade Rewards per night, however, some hotels and resorts require three or more Point Upgrade Rewards per night, depending on the view or room type. Availability varies by hotel; check the details for your selected hotel when making a reservation. * "Paid" Upgrade Rewards: At select hotels, Members may pay for an upgrade to a standard Reward reservation on a cost per night basis. Upgrade Rewards price varies by hotel and will be charged to the room folio during the guest’s stay. Additional Points are not required with Paid Upgrade Rewards. Upgrade Reward requirements vary by hotel/hotel category, room type and by season. ** Based on hotel availability and Point balance, Members may choose to use Points at check-in to upgrade a paid room. Point Upgrade Rewards are 5,000 Points each and offered at hotels in the US (except Hawaii) and Canada only. Not applicable at Marriott Vacation Club and The Ritz-Carlton; cannot be reserved in advance. Most upgraded rooms require only one or two Upgrade Rewards per night. However, some hotels and resorts require three or more Upgrade Rewards per night, depending on the view or room type. Most resorts require upgrades for rooms with special views, such as ocean or bay view. Where available, 2-Bedroom Suites at Residence Inn by Marriott and TownePlace Suites by Marriott require the use of an Upgrade Reward. Marriott Vacation Club locations require Upgrade Rewards for 3-bedroom suites. I hope this information helps - thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A: How do i get upgrade certificates
      lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Great detailed explanantion, but why not get rid of the upgrade awards, and just add the associated number of points to those same "preferred rooms"?  So if a regularr room is say 50,000 points and an ocean view room is 50,000 points plus 3 upgrades (5,000 points each), why not just state the at the ocean view room is 65,000 points?

I realize that some people may want the option of paying with cash versus using their points.

Thanks!