17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 5:31 PM by poloman1818 RSS

Friends and Family discount

saralozito Silver
Currently Being Moderated
I am planning a trip that is over 6 months away and would like to use the "friends and family discount". What happens if I'm unable to get the required form or my friend no longer works for Marriott? What happens to my rate? I don't want the rate to sky rocket and am wondering if booking the AAA rate (which is not THAT much more than the F&F discount) may be a better option. Any thoughts are appreciated! :)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dublin, Ireland
  • A: Friends and Family discount
    jblaze Platinum
    Don't be afraid to call the front desk manager and explain the "help" you were going to get from your friend. Usually as long as the friend didn't leave on horrible terms, they should still extend the courtesy. Explain how you already "booked" your airfare and you would b $$ strapped if you couldn't get the form.... Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Friends and Family discount
    imagrits Platinum 1 Reviews
    if the AAA rate is not that much more, why risk it? Peace of mind is probably worth the few bucks it will cost you, and you can focus on your vacation worry-free!

• Re: Friends and Family discount
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The beauty of the system is that you can book both rates on separate reservations and as the date approaches, cancel the one you won't need. Typically, the "cancel without cost" option is either the day before or the day of the actual stay. The exception, of course, is when the rate being used is a prepaid rate.

poloman1818 Alumni Steward Gold

This is one of the big advantages of Marriott brand properties. I'm not sure how this impacts individual properties, but from a customer service standpoint this allows the ultimate in flexibility and I've used in when weighing options between different properties until I found the one I wanted to stay at.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 56 Reviews

Great information!

Thought they did away with this, glad to know it is still an option.

• Friends and Family discount
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The Marriott Friends and Family program is a great one but is also heavily audited and very controlled.  Here's why:

• In all cases you must have the original form with you and it must be listed in your name and not over 60 days old.
    • The person (always someone employed by Marriott) from whom you got the form is subject to heavy penalties, including termination, for misuse of the form, or for behavior not befitting a Friends and Family person (and a whole lot of other details listed on the form itself.)
    • While it is a great benefit and at times a fantastic discount, it is subject to capacity controls (like all others are), and a closely watched benefit.

Thus, making, and then not using a Friends and Family discount when reserving seems to me to be clogging up the system for those who actually can use it.  Just my opinion.

Marriott Associate Member

And it is U-G-L-Y all the way around if an audit uncovers abuse of the associate benefit.  It is rare that a F&F rate would be available six months out unless you're going someplace that is not at all popular at a time that is always dead.

This reminds me of the *I guess) real Marriott associate card for sale on e-Bay a couple years ago, which was both a stupid thing to sell and an even more dumb thing to buy! 

I know from talking with GM's that discounts are in fact audited as Michelle's comment states, and the misuse of a discount might fall into that black hole in  the terms and conditions about losing your MR account privileges.  I guess it's not worth saving a few bucks to lose your points, and your honored guests at the same time

fitzit Platinum

At the end of last year I was traveling with a group of friends in two cars, going to see some bands in different cities. So that we didn't need to worry about what car got to a property first, I put 2 names on the reservations, one from each car. Check ins were fine no issues.

Two months later, I got a letter from Marriott asking for contact about some issues with billing and points. I sent an email with a guess that it was the issue, and an explanation, detailed, about what happened. They kept open communication, always polite and cheerful, but I could tell, if I hadn't had the right answers, there was going to be hell for both my rewards account and my associate/relative. I always stop and drop off my form at the desk, but now I make sure they change the check-in name to mine every time.

I also admit that on most trips that I use a mmf on, I don't fuss about points and upgrades, the property is already taking a rev hit for me to be there, and I'm glad for it.

fd

This is a discount that comes with a lot of requirements as you know. In essence you are telling the hotel that you will be a prudent traveler and that you will get both yourself and the person authorizing the certificate in trouble if you do not. In some cases it is a steep discount, and though the stays and points are credited to your account, the certificates must match your name and cannot be more that sixty days old. They must also be originals, not copies.  So with all that, if you have them and can follow all the rules, then you've got it nailed.

Neither points or stays are credited on an F&F rate any longer.  Please remember that the F&F rate is an employee benefit, not a rate discount.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

That is directly in line with SPG family and friends program.

When was this change made Michelle? I mean the no points one.

A few months ago - as it is an employee benefit, it was only communicated internally.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

as it should.  not sure why we are even talking about it.  especially since no employees are supposed to be on the site.

Thanks Michelle

fitzit Platinum

I'm wondering about this statement. I use F&F for about 25% of my travel and always get credit for the stay of at least one room and points for both rooms. Now I know when traveling with an associate and not just as a family member, there are no points and no credit, not even supposed to have an MR# on the reservation. Understand that there is a BIG difference in Rate. A Residence stay normally 158$, Family 79$, Assoc. 39$ So I get why there is no credit for the Associate.