59 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 11:36 AM by allyson RSS

Concierge Lounge Access & Decorum

bigdogbill Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am in DC this week and before I entered the concierge lounge this morning I saw a group of people standing outside the door waiting until a colleague arrive to let them all into the lounge.

I have seen this behavior frequently through my 103 nights so far this year and I would absolutely endorse Marriott creating some type of sign in sheet to enter the lounge.

Another issue (sorry big pet peeve of mine!) are people entering into the lounge directly from the fitness center being all sweaty and wearing sleeveless shirts. I would absolutely endorse implementing a dress code.

Please feel free to comment and call me a prude on this. I just want to restore some sophistication back to the lounge benefit.

Have a great one...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA
Chicago , Illinois, USA
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Re: Concierge Lounge Access & Decorum
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

bigdogbill

I would not call you a prude, but would suggest that I have every right to stop on the way back from a workout to grab a bottled water.  there is nothing in most lounges to suggest any sophistication level and I do not think I bother anyone by stopping for a water.  That said, if the hotel wants to upgrade the facility and add a dress code, I would support it.  By the way, how far would you take it?  would it be only a dress code?  how about kids?  just asking.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hkloban Gold

I support a dress code for the lounges.  As far as children are concerned, I have never personally had a problem with them in the lounge.  I always find them well behaved and well coached by their parents.  As for the sign-in sheets, I find that most international Marriotts in Asia have a person at the lounge entrance checking room numbers and limiting guests.  Large crowds don't seem to be a problem there.

Kids are fine (I have them too). Just no sleevless shirts to start would be good for me as a start. Thanks for the response

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Hi BigDogBill and Shoeman,

If you read my response to Arkwright, you'll know this is my second attempt to get this message accepted (last time after a long email in the text section  I hit send and it told me: You must enter text in the text session.) Sigh.

Anyway, I agree with both of you. I think what BigDogBill is getting at is that if people are going to hang out for some time in the lounge that they should dress as they would in any other public part of the hotel (and that can mean quite casual).  On the other hand, Shoeman, if you and your friends or family came from the gym in towels and sat down for an hour or two, that would be rather offensive.  No offense intended to you.  People would be offended if I did the same thing.  But you can grab your bottle of water :).

Ciao di Venezia,

ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I've seen people in the CL and in lobbies wearing their PJ's and bare feet!  C'mon now... get dressed before leaving your room!

tef6178 Platinum 5 Reviews

The real issue here is that people are abusing the Lounge access. As I wrote in an earlier post, I also had people waiting outside the lounge for someone (in one case anyone) to let them into the lounges in San Francisco and Anaheim.

In one case (an evening in San Fran) it was a family with kids who clearly had never been to a lounge before as the kids were pawing the food, filling a plate, eating a bite and throwing the whole plate down because they didn't like the bite they took and then running around the lounge uncontrolled. Then the kids asked (no, actually rudely yelled at) the person putting out the food where the drinks were; got drinks from the fridge and just left the door wide open. After a while, a gentleman asked them if they had concierge access with their room. The 'parents' said 'does it matter?'. He asked the person working to ask them to leave. They did.

It is Marriott's responsibility to be monitoring this setting for proper access, not customers who are fed up with having their quiet time ruined by jerks. I feel they should have more than a sign up sheet.

I really don't have an issue with someone coming in after working out, but they should be properly attired and not dripping or smelling like a sewer pipe. For me personally, I would never go to the lounge after working out unless I had stopped at my room to clean up. It's just a common courtesy thing with me.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I have no problem with kids in the lounge as long as their parents are actually being parents.

I was in a lounge a few weeks ago and there were two children going up and grabbing food with no supervision. Their mom and dad were zoned in on their phone and iPad respectively and not paying any attention to their kids. The youngest was grabbing at food with his bare hands, picking some up and putting it back, etc. I told the parents what the kids were doing and got a sheepish "Sorry..." out of them.

sunsoaker Platinum 3 Reviews

Couldnt agree more, I have seen the same things. What good is earning the status if they let anyone in. Where is the incentive in that?

Those who come from the gym need to grow some manners. Not sure what they can do about that. Coming in for a quick stop is one thing. But sitting down for some snacks is another. I'm not real fond of unbehaved children either. But well behaved children are fine with me.

schererfam Platinum 1 Reviews

I absoluely agree. People use and abuse this privilege and it should be monitored. At the Boston Long Wharf last year, we saw one couple admit at least three other couples for evening appetiers. They obviously made dinner for all 8 out of available food, and began complaining to staff that they beeeded to refill servings. They also all poured strong drinks one after the other, never signing an honor slip -- just laughed about how easy Marriott made all this -- dinner and lots of booze for free. They all left drunk, complaining that Marrioitt rn out of their pregered dessert beffore returning to their rooms.

Could not believe they were all back for breakfast the next morning, again usng all ofg our money to satisfy their needs.

No critisizim of your staff -- they are great, helpful,gratious and kind.  They just do not have eyes in the back of theier heads.

The iossues are some of your guests and what they think they arfe entitled to without paying. The rest of us all pay. From what I saw, they could pay a a larger piece of the cost than any any of us can.

Perhaps a "secret dinner" or two to see who does this

iestrikesback Platinum 24 Reviews

I've witnessed occasional abuse, but what I have noticed is that it's very rare these days that the CL is manned with someone who signs in guests.  It used to be the norm.     

schererfam

agreed.  I think the unintended guests are a much bigger problem than those who elite members who stop by on their way back from the gym.  I think there is a big difference between a sweaty tank topped person hanging out and a slightly sweaty t shirted person stopping for water and a snack.  by the way, shouldnt ALL tank tops be dissallowed at ALL times?  How about short-shorts?    Lets all be careful we dont start profiling too much.  could get ugly......

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Leave the tank tops and short shorts alone!

Husker

dirty old man.....

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am guilty of getting my Java wearing a t-shirt, athletic shorts, and sneakers within minutes of waking up in the morning. The one-cupper "pod" coffee maker in the room just doesn't cut it first thing in the AM. However, I will not take refuge in the CL looking like this out of respect for the lounge guests.

The biggest issue I have is the unauthorized folks taking advantage of the CL perks by sneaking in. I cannot believe it would be that difficult for the CL police to ask every so often for a peak at the guest's room key card. Mine states "Elite Guest" and it's colored differently from a non-status "generic" room card. While it might be true some elite members might feel offended with a "proof-check," if they realized the random validations were for their benefit, perhaps they would get over it. I know I would welcome a check and ignore this small inconvenience to assure a quality lounge.

Perhaps a sign asking for guests to "Please make your room key visible at your table" is all it would take.

@Pingreeman: Excellent suggestions

I agree that the biggest transgression is letting in non-CL people indiscriminately (as opposed to perhaps the occasional business colleague).  I don't travel enough in the US to comment, but almost always in Europe or the Middle East they ask your room number.

ProfChiara

Ping, I agree with you that something n eeds to be done.  But, I think that all MR members, at least those silver, gold, platinum, and platinum premier, get that same particular colored key card.  At least that's how it is at the places where I stay.  I always have to either use my room card to access the floor or the lounge door.  How are all those intruders getting in?  Are they just standing around until an authorized person shows up and opens the door and then before it closes they sneak in?  I know it happens but is the problem that wide sprread considering the number of people who stay at Marriot vrs the number of cheaters?  Just wondering??

Asking for the room number sounds like a good safeguard, as long as the attendent is immediatley checking the authorized user list and asking unauthorized users to leave.

allyson Platinum 4 Reviews

I prefer the suggestion of showing your room key, since as was mentioned they are visibly different for Elite status guests.

This avoids the problem of waiting for an attendant who is busy assisting another guest or re-stocking the snacks. 

It also avoids the security risk associated with putting your room number on a sign in sheet or being asked to speak up and repeat your room number.  As a female traveler this is something I'm conscious of and most front desk clerks have learned to be discrete about informing you of the room number at check in.  It is also frequently advised  for everyone to separate your key card from the folder after you check in to reduce security risks.

Allyson brings up a point I have faced repeatedly, especially when breakfast is served outside of the lounge.  Servers ask you your room number and if it's not on the key (in some truly old-fashioned but useful cases) you have to say it out loud.  Not only does that raise the issue of security but it also opens the possibility of fraud -- e.g. someone using your room number to sign for dinner or drinks, etc.  I am certain this has happenedto me  a couple of times.

ProfChiara

rjt_97355 Gold

I agree with the suggestions also.  I firmly believe parents should control their children, not rely on others to do it for them.

Children act up more because they are bored or want attention or have not been taught.  It is not hard to have your children be well behaved in public, but SOMEONE DOES have to teach them what is acceptable and what is not...at home as well as when traveling.

It really only takes a little pre-planning by parents, and the children will learn...and, can select their own quiet activities to take with them.

Our son started going to nice restaurants with us when he was 5 (at home to start).  We set rules:  he took quiet activities (book to read or paper to draw); if he did not behave acceptably (to us), then he didn't get to go next time.  By the time we were traveling with him, he knew he wanted to "behave" so he could see the neat places mom and dad went.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

This suggestion might fall like a brick, but why can't CLs "limit" the number of guests to three? This, to me, is a reasonable number as whenever I travel with business asscociates, the group is 4 or less. Also, the CL is a primary benefit to the MR elite member and having three associates partake in this fringe is reasonable enough IMO.

For those who might have a larger party, it is highly likely one or more of those business associates also have MR elite status. So they, too, would put out their elite key card to demonstrate they are "authorized."

In those cases where more than four are in the party and only one has MR elite status, then these groups should use the venue's restaraunt or meet elsewhere. To leverage the CL "freebie" to more than four is too costly a perk to simply give away and the end result is all MR elites will suffer as hotels continue to find ways to cut costs, beginning with the CL.

For those travelling with family - (big brick here), the same rules apply. I think having a 1:1 ratio of parent:child will lead to better "control" over the running, screaming, etc. that oftentimes happens in the CL. If the parents cannot control the kids, they should be asked to seek another venue. Better yet, the CL dissallows <12 aged kids altogether and provides the family with a voucher to use in the restaurant!

All,

There are some very good suggestions in this forum and I am wondering if we could put them to good use.

Does anyone know of a medium where Rewards members can suggest these ideas to Marriott corporate for possible process or rule changes?

I would hate to see all these good ideas just die on the vine in these forums. These are good ideas that are pretty simple to implement without much cost that will improve the experience for us frequent travelers and occasional guests.

Regards,

Bill

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 9 Reviews

If I understand correctly, Marriott representatives do look at our posts and I would assume they are listening and considering all the feedback would look at making appropriate adjustments. Lets hope so anyway!!!

-- Edited by Jasper100 at Aug 13, 2011 9:34 AM PDT

You can also address one directly via private message to Andy (usually when you see the big white and red Marriott logo).

neverhomeii Platinum

I agree 100%. The lounge used to have a bit of class and be a great place to meet and relax, Definately needs some controls.

pasantiagousmc Platinum

The use of the Elite Member card is good, but I get so many of them, that sometimes I do not know which one is current.  So I use the same card I got three years ago when I was in Charlotte, NC (has a NASCAR design), in every Marriott I go to.  It will work in 98% of them.  Can Marriott issue a card to members when they obtain a certain level (Premium Platinum Elite, etc). I don’t mind if someone comes in from the gym only to get water, fruit, etc., and then leave. Just don’t hang out.

lorirobert Platinum

Yes, I have seen pajamas and slippers in the CL and I agree, get dressed people. (and they certainly didn't look like Victoria's Secret models - lol, and I'm a female btw).  I once saw a group with bare feet asked to leave because it was a violation of the health code.  People just don't think anymore. Entitlement issues....

omegaet Platinum 8 Reviews

....I don't get the 'sneaking in' issue and I see it happen frequently.  Just try sneaking by the 'club police' at any of the airline clubs - FAT CHANCE!

excellent point!  the difference is that you are PAYING to be a member of an airline club.

missgee Gold 35 Reviews

Thank you for posting this.  I have noticed a marked deterioration in the CL at all levels:

• People using it as a business meeting area.  This includes those who are conducting their business via speaker phone and, as a result, are almost yelling to be heard.  Unbelievable.
    • People giving others access when they clearly do not have it.  I've actually watched people phone someone inside the lounge and have them come and let them in.  And I'm not jumping to conclusions because I've heard them discuss it.  And then they call others to join them.
    • Whatever happened to the business desk inside the lounge being available to the patrons?  Now they're taken over by the staff who have deemed it theirs.
    • Allowing access during off hours.  You used to be able to go in and grab a drink or a snack when the lounge was closed.  Now it's on lockdown and you can't even do that.  Could we at least get a bottle of water left in our room that we don't have to pay for?

legionboy Platinum

I agree that the Concierge Lounge should be for those who have earned it through the room they booked, if the hotel gave the guest access, and those who Rewards status makes them worthy. I can't stand the gate-crashers and during conventions when a friend gets all of his/her friends inside.

However, I do disagree with the attire aspect. People should come however they wish with exception to anyone who comes in their sleep wear.

legionboy Platinum

I agree that the Concierge Lounge should be for those who have earned it through the room they booked, if the hotel gave the guest access, and those who Rewards status makes them worthy. I can't stand the gate-crashers and during conventions when a friend gets all of his/her friends inside.

However, I do disagree with the attire aspect. People should come however they wish with exception to anyone who comes in their sleep wear.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I too have stayed at many Marriott properties.  The biggest "crime" I've seen is where 1 person has accesss, and they bring in their business associates / friends.  It's up to someone from Marriott to draw the line, and / or say something. 

fhllast4ever Platinum

I agree.  There maybe a group waiting at the door but we have no way to judge who is authorized to enter or not.

If I want a quiet place, I would eat breakfast in my room.  If I want to read a book, I would go to a library,

or stay in my room. Parents who don't supervise their kids should be asked by an associate to do so or leave.

Regarding the dress issue, where I come from most people in the CL are in shorts and flip-flop. Also

I've seen well dressed ladies  with dirty fingernails, or ladies with horrendous make-up and punk hair.

In some CL, I've seen men in suits that stink, and same suit is worn the following day - -still stinks.

The CL is no longer a lounge just for business people: it has evolved into a gathering place for couples,

families and business people.   It is also no longer a dress-up place - -same way Broadway folks in

Manhattan don't dress up in gowns and tuxedos anymore to see a show.  What I'm trying to say is,

a little tolerance is good as we are all a diverse group.

anadyr Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Very true, but then why is the Lounge considered special as a perk if it is just another room in the hotel?  Have you been to a Club Floor Lounge at a Ritz? Do you need a place to be rather than your room for a little relaxation?  Everyone has a unique perspective on this.  And that's good.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Hello ss- -yes, I have been to at least three Ritz Club floor lounges, and as I have written before, I'm not impressed for all

the $$ I paid.  Were people dressed?  Not really.  Unless you want to call  short shorts, tube and flip flops dressed (for the summer

that is).  Even the men are in shorts,flip flops and shirt( some collared, some hawaiian, some plain tee).  Some men are in jeans,

some in tennis shoes,etc.  And I bet some of those are business people, dressed casually and carelessly for relaxation.

It all depends on the season, the state and the country.  In Europe they are more formal and more put together as far as dressing for

the lounge (or for anything) than in many places in the US.

The Concierge Lounge is just another room in the hotel and we MR members EXPECT it to be special.  However, anybody, without signing

on to membership, can access the concierge lounge if they can PAY.  Thus  a guest who does not meet one's

unwritten "dress code"   can book a room with CL access or just pay the access fee - -he/she couldn't care less who is offended. 

For me, I don't really consider the CL a special perk, it's prepaid access for quick breakfast, little lunch, some snacks,

some drinks.   A huge suite, incredible food and a butler to cater to my requests - -now, that's a perk! 

Ha, ha I can almost hear you say dream on.........

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Mmmmm ... I guess that I am a little less tolerant than you fhllast ... I'd much prefer to see a smart-casual standard set for CLs.  I have no issue with who goes in CLs (couples, families, business loners) provided they are entitled to be there ... but, as you state, poorly behaved individuals / families should be 'told' to leave.

gunner Silver

The CL is a good placed to entertain clients ad business associates.

Location Brand Hotel
    West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA
    ssindc Platinum 34 Reviews

Good discussion and perspectives.

I think the guest issue is a tricky one.  When travelling on business, my sense is that, if I convince colleagues to stay at a Marriott property (thus bringing Marriott more business as a result of my loyalty), I have no qualms bringing them into the lounge.  I've never had trouble with this in "monitored" lounges or lounges with sign-in sheets (where you enter the number of folks in your party).  In fact, my experience has been that, at check in, if you request it, most properties will put your colleagues on the concierge floor (although I've never tried this with a large number of colleagues)....

On the issue of using the lounge with children and picking up water and a snack in workout gear, I'm guilty of both.  But I try to use common sense and apply a "golden rule" approach.  The problem, of course, is people's standards differ.  My (teenage) kids behave in the lounge the way they would in a restaurant.  But we've been to enough restaurants to know that all families don't impose the same standards.... That's a tough one for Marriott to police....  And, yes, post workout visits to the lounge are grab-and-go, not sit and stink up the joint...

Finally, I agree with the folks who suggest that limited lounge access, late nights and weekends - for water bottles, soda, packaged snacks, etc. - is a nice touch and lot better than nothing.  I've seen that at a handful of properties.

My sense is that the CL is an artifact of a gentler, simpler time, much like  when we dressed to fly, ate real meals onboard, and stretched out to relax. 

Now with the way in which we travel, glued to our electronic devices, the notion of a quiet lounge that is exclusive may seem alien to many, and for many, it is just a stop en route to something else,  I wish Marriott would either eliminate the CLs, or keep them and allow those of us who do not want them to have a reduced room rate for NOT using them if they are in a hotel, or better yet, institute a two guest policy and then charge ten dollars per additional guest who is not a family member policy.

Comments, criticisms?

ssindc Platinum 34 Reviews

SS - what struck me most about your comment was your perception of the concierge lounge as a quiet place.

To the extent that the lion's share of my travel is alone, and I most frequently find myself in the concierge lounge with a book (or newspaper or my laptop computer), my most frequent frustration - even when the lounges are empty - has been the proliferation of televisions (most frequently on CNN, BBC, Fox News or whatever) and the absence of a quiet spot where you can hide from the TV.  And, of course, loud TV's require patrons in the lounge to speak more loudly, and so it goes.  But I understand that my television aversion places me squarely in the minority, so....

Myintent was to say that it used to be a quiet place, not that it is--far from it.  TV loudness and cell phone loudness seem to be the norm these days

SSSS ... I'm completely with you on this one, but there does seem to be a huge variance on how lounges are managed.  The one in County Hall in London is always well controlled and the canapés etc are excellent.  However, there aren't many UK Marriotts with CLs.  We have noticed more variation in our US travels.  Those CLs where there is only a token Marriott presence seem to be the problem ones.  Where there is a sound check-in system, they seem to be to be far less crowded ... I wonder why!?!  I too have seen the 'door hovering groups'.

Thanks Chrisf

I wish Marriott would poll us (as frequent guests) to tell them what we'd like to see in a Lounge and why.  Seems that they take it for granted that in many places it is only an alternate place to eat and drink, with one less than enthusiastic concierge, and a loud TV blaring in the background.  Why can't it be a place were members (emphasis on that word) gather to have some quiet time, an adult beverage or two and crudities (spelled that way I hope) at appropriate times?  Is that so hard.  If they want a place where folks can congregate en masse then make it another location.  United Airlines has done this with the creation of the United Lounge, which I understand is separate from the Red Carpet Clubs.

Yes, SS, some of the airlines are doing much better than the hotels.  British Airways have a good way of handling things at Heathrow T5, but it doesn't quite work for me anymore.  They have a fairly nice lounge for Business Class travellers (which we used last year) but an even better one if you achieve Gold status on their loyalty programme.  Unfortunately, I don't make the 'best' lounge anymore as I don't fly enough but it was great when I did have access ... you really did feel like you were getting true VIP service.  The Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Lounge at T3 is better than the BA Business Class lounge and we'll be using that tomorrow ... excellent!  As we are flying to LA, there may even be a few celebs on the plane ... Eddie Izzard and Mel B were on the plane the last time we went to LA.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 51 Reviews

Could not agree with you more!

That's why I get my things and go back to my room!

Recently at County Hall Marriott, there were people who must have spent the day in the CL, and I just cannot understand that.

year2member Silver

I definitely think access should be controlled.  My wife and I were in Europe last summer and stayed at a property in Cologne and two in Brussels.  I remember in Brussels being asked for our room key and in Cologne the attendant kept her eye on things so there were no problems.  Each hotel did have a limit of two guests allowed per member which worked well for us as we met our son and girlfriend there one evening. 

year2,

Great comments and so true!

Hope you had the chance to go to the Cathedral in Cologne.  A great place, the names of American soldiers is in the entrance, very special.

Oh that it were true everywhere!

I am just sitting in the CL in the LAX Airport Marriott.  Very pleasant atmosphere, we'll behaved guests, not too crowded and no door hanging groups! We were not expecting much and were pleasantly surprised.  The canapés were ok, (not great though) but my wife likes the dessert.  The hotel arrival welcome was excellent ... Made us feel really valued Elite Members ... They have a separate set of well-manned desks for gold/platinum guests and we were checked-in immediately. This was extremely helpful after just getting off a nearly 12 hour flight ... There was a strong headwind all the way over.  Only two celebs on the flight ... Alan Carr and Max Beesley.  Alan Carr was a really nice guy ... as funny in real life as he is on stage.

Chris,

Glad you are enjoying yourself at LAX!

Are you going to get out in LA?  If so, let us know so we can point out some places to enjoy.

I am sorry, I hate to date myself but I do not know who these celebs are.  If you were mentioning Jasper or SS or The Professor, I would congratulate you!

We are only passing through LA today.  We fly onto Hawaii tomorrow. We will be back for 5 days at the end of Jan and staying in Newport Beach.  The two celebs are Brits ... that's probably why you've not heard much of them.  Carr is a stand-up comedian and Beesley has been in Hotel Babylon (which I've never seen) ... I expect you are still 'none the wiser'.

Chris,

Thanks for the update!

Glad you told us who they are, and now it makes sense, I would never have know them.  If you said Benny Hill, I would have known, but I think he is gone!

This is my pet peeve too and I for one would rather they not have a lounge than a free for all location

lainiek Silver 2 Reviews

how does someone get access to a Concierge Lounge?  I have reservations thru work at a hotel that has one, but can't figure out how to make sure my room has access included.

allyson Platinum 4 Reviews

Check room reservation details. No mention, no access.  Likely you booked a standard room that does not have CL access.

CL level rooms are more expensive to compensate for CL access.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...