8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 8:10 PM by vivsnee RSS

Marriott Credit Card E-Certificates

wichitarocks Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, Sorry if this has been answered or posted in the forum already. But I was just wondering how you go about redeeming your free nights stay(s) that you receive when you sign up for the Chase/Marriott credit card? I have received the card and I have two e-certificates in my Marriott rewards account, but not sure how I use them for the free nights stay. Do I have to call in a reservation or is there a way to use them online as well?

Thanks for the help!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Credit Card E-Certificates
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You will need to call for this. Online (though it shows on your account) will not let you redeem them.  They are for a certain category of hotel (1-4 or 5 depending on the promotion) and there are blackout dates (high demand times) when they cannot be used.

Call Marriott Reservations for help on these and havea greattime using them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

teacherman Gold 8 Reviews

It's not that hard. Just call and tell them you want to redeem your certificate and it will be done. I have never had blackout dates affect anything for me, even on holidays. I know that this will not always be the case everywhere, but it was in my case. I think it is rare to get blacked out. Best of luck.

mrgal8669 Platinum 8 Reviews

For mine, I called into the reservation number and indicated I was intending to utilize my certificate.

singerdave Platinum 8 Reviews

Occasionally, the certificates can complicate things.  However, you can count on the reservation center to work it out.

The last time I used such a certificate, it was for a two-night stay in which the certificate would cover one night and I would pay for the other.

Surprise, surprise; the system can't handle that combination, or at least it couldn't this last March, which is when I did it.

What the reservation center did was to treat my two nights as two separate stays, and then informed the hotel that these "two" stays were in fact one stay, and to plan accordingly to treat it as such.

vivsnee Gold 2 Reviews

When I go tmy e certificate I said to my husband let's see if I can book New Years Eve at the Cambridge Courtyard.  He agreed Try it and see.  When I called the girl said probably not but lo and behold it was allowed.  I copied the email with the response from the reservations to bring in case of a problem/   But like I said before I agree with al lof you why not  combine a 4 and 5 certificat and get a better hotel where you want it.

Doesn't Marriott hear us?.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

the e-certs can be redeemed on-line. You can view what certs you have by looking at upcoming reservations then clicking on 'unused certificates'. It shows the date credited and the expiration date - which is otherwise hard to keep track of.

To use a cert, indicate tou are using points when reserving. then when you select the hotel choice, the system will remind you that you have unused certs and would you like to use one (or more). If you indicate yes, then all is set. To the hotel when you check in, they always refer to the reservation as being from your points - the hotel does not distinguish points from certs.

If you have trouble working through this process (which I did the first time or 2), just call the support center to have them walk you through it.  Of course, you can always use the center to make the reservation. 

artstraveler Platinum 17 Reviews

Yes you can reserve with e-certificates online. I just made such an online reservation a few hours ago. You have to trust that when you click on the "use reward points" the system will automatically bring up the notice that "you have an unused e-certificate." Check the "yes" button then confirm you want the reservation.

While you cannot make a change online to an e-certificate reservation (you have to call), you can always cancel it online and start all over. In fact, I'd decided to make today's reservation for another date. So, I canceled it online and within seconds the e-certificate was restored to the unused category. Took me a minute to rebook it online with the e-certificate to the new date.

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Hi Artstraveler,

I wish I felt so confident (about online redemption).  A couple of years ago when I tried to redeem it subtracted from my points and got rid of my certificate and  I had to call again.

Also, once I got a letter a week or so ago that said I had earned my anniversary 1-5 certificate, I tried to use it for today in Athens, calling MR from Detroit before I left.  He assured me it was done -- but it wasn't.  Apparently it has to appear on the screen before you can use it, which I frankly don't understand at all.  If you can redeposit miles immediately, why can't this be automated?  So I still have (or will have) my Cat 5 certificate but am out the 25,000 pts for the night, which for most places I go to can only be used for airport stays. The Ledra one night stay would have been perfect.

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...