8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2011 3:32 PM by nuhusker RSS

Hotel Security

tef6178 Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Of course, we all expect that we will be safe when staying at a Marriott property and we expect the same will be so for our property. There have been posts on the Insiders pages regarding lapses in security at certain times, but never have I seen this:

My close neighbors and good friends, after many discussions we had regarding Marriott properties and the excellence they give on so many occasions, decided to stay at the Renaissance Hotel in Boca Raton. The pictures I have attached speak volumes about security at this location.

What is more troubling is that when they reported the incident,  the General Manager sent the HOUSEKEEPING manager talk to these folks about their car being stripped of wheels and tires in the hotel parking lot. Not willing to have that discussion with housekeeping, they went to the front desk and demanded a meeting with the GM. In discussion with him, they were told that no security cameras are on property because they are a 'liability'. There is no security because it is 'too costly'.

THEY had to arrange for someone to come and get the car, find a dealer to have it taken to and arrange for the dealer to get the replacement set of tires and repair the damage.

Absolutely incredible! My neighbors now have a $4100 bill for the damage/replacement, no real concern they felt on the part of Marriott for the incident, an offer of a free night for the trouble and a 'sorry there is nothing else we can do' on departure.

If there was a 'Do Not Stay' list, this place would be at the top of my list for sure. Insiders beware if you stay at the Renaissance in Boca Raton!! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
  • Re: Hotel Security
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TEF -- This is the kind of stuff most people only hear about, but you have provided the best evidence...your personal friend's account coupled with photos of the actual damage!  South Florida is rampant with crime, anything from gangs to common thugs.  All the more reason for Marriott to take some responsibility in the prevention arena, and some ownership when crap like this happens on their property.  I'm sure there'll be some lawyer out there who'll defend Marriott because they probably have a sign in the parking lot disclaiming any responsibility.  A couple of years ago, we actually considered staying at this Renaissance.  Glad we didn't, and you can bet we never will.  I'm saving your post and the photos and sending it out to everyone on my email list.  Marriott should strip this hotel of its good name!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with NUHUSKER,  In fact, the pics almost look as if the scene was staged.  Additionally, while I understand then liability issues that cause a hotel to post signs disavowing any responsibility, It's one thing to warn against leaving valuables in your car, it's another thing when they steal your tires!  Would they own up to any liability if you were robbed or assaulted in your room?  Ridiculous.....

Shoeman, I agree with you on the photo.  It could pass for something out of National Lampoon Vacation.  But honestly, what happened to TEF's friend is a dang shame!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I knew I had to comment but wasn't sure what to say?!? This is appalling and I would contact Marriott Corp directly.

From a legal perspective, as long as the property has the "Not responsible for . . ." sign conspicuously posted for all guests to see, they are in the clear.

From a practical perspective, to not have video surveillance when guests are "on their own" to protect their valuables is outright negligence.

Here's hoping the comprehensive insurance covers the majority of the loss.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

agreed

From a legal perspective, as long as the property has the "Not responsible for . . ." sign conspicuously posted for all guests to see, they are in the clear.

Well, I expected that to logic to come from a lawyer, not an accountant.  But I contend that a reasonable judge is likely to rule that such a sign only protects the owner from occurrances you might reasonably expect when in a public place.  Having your wheels ripped out from underneath you is not reasonable!  Where's Paul Kersey when you need him?!!

tef6178 Platinum 5 Reviews

A written complaint is being filed directly to Marriott Corporate and I hope Marriott follows through with a proper response that will right this wrong.

They were there with kids and grandkids for college interviews and meetings. They lost an entire day of meetings along with the car losses. You would think Boca was a good place, but will their grandkids want to attend college in this area with a table such as this being set for them?

This car they drove 800 miles to attend these meetings was brand new. I was always under the impression that the Marriott family of hotels was a safe and secure place to park my family and their belongings, including my auto. This scenario tells me I now have to inquire about safety standards and practices.

It is apalling to me that this could be done because there was absolutely no security in place. This event didn't happen like a racing pit stop. It took considerable time for whoever did this to jack each wheel, remove the tires, set it down and move to the next....and the car was parked next to one of the hotel's side doors. Someone knew there was no security in place at this location......and they took full advantage of it.

A written complaint is being filed directly to Marriott Corporate and I hope Marriott follows through with a proper response that will right this wrong.

They were there with kids and grandkids for college interviews and meetings. They lost an entire day of meetings along with the car losses. You would think Boca was a good place, but will their grandkids want to attend college in this area with a table such as this being set for them?

This car they drove 800 miles to attend these meetings was brand new. I was always under the impression that the Marriott family of hotels was a safe and secure place to park my family and their belongings, including my auto. This scenario tells me I now have to inquire about safety standards and practices.

It is apalling to me that this could be done because there was absolutely no security in place. This event didn't happen like a racing pit stop. It took considerable time for whoever did this to jack each wheel, remove the tires, set it down and move to the next....and the car was parked next to one of the hotel's side doors. Someone knew there was no security in place at this location......and they took full advantage of it.

TEF -- AMEN to all that! I think we can still, for the most part, count on Marriott properties being safe and secure for our families and property.  Exceptions do apply, however.  And you're right, the creeps who did this knew exactly what they were doing, inlcuding knowing about the complete lack of, and non-interest in, security at this hotel.  These thugs do operate a lot like pit crews...they are lightening fast when doing these dirty deeds.  If your friend's kids want to go to school in Florida, have them consider Rollins.  Our son went there and it was a great school and college experience. And he hasn't ask for money since he graduated. My definition of a success story.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...