79 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2013 9:53 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Marriott Points - just how much are they worth - an analysis

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Ever wonder how much your points are worth? Is it a better choice to take gift points or an actual market item? Here is my analysis:

Assumption: You want a hotel room in Illinois for 5 nights on the following dates: 2011-01-23 through 2011-01-27. Your choice is to:

* use points (category X points/night X 4 nights = total points needed as fifth night is free) -or-
* pay cash (rate/night X 5 nights)
* Taxes are not included in the calculations (potentially 10-15% more cash value for the points)

I created a spreadsheet for all 104 hotels in Illinois:

Cat   #      Points    5 nights    Ave$ Night  Total $     Cents/point
1    15         7500      30000     $91.53    $457.66    1.526
2    38       10000      40000    $109.70    $548.52    1.371
3    30       15000      60000    $137.59    $687.95    1.147
4    10       20000      80000    $172.00    $860.00    1.075
5     7        25000    100000    $133.42    $667.12    0.667
6     4        30000    120000    $191.50    $957.50    0.798
7     0        35000    140000    n/a           n/a           n/a
8     0        40000    160000    n/a           n/a           n/a
All    104    22812.5    91250    $139.29    $696.45   1.097

Members earning Points can receive 200 bonus points at Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Springhill Suites by Marriott and TownePlace Suites by Marriott as their arrival gift option. This is worth low/high of $1.33 to $3.05 if Cat5 or Cat1, respectively. On average, $2.19.

The Platinum Arrival Gift 500 bonus points option is available only to Points earning Rewards Program Platinum Members staying at participating JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, and Marriott Vacation Club worldwide. This is worth low/high of $3.34 to $7.63 if Cat5 or Cat1, respectively. On average, $5.49.

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/6200

My son is getting married in November and since I have PP status, I am hoping to get a great deal negotiating a group rate at a nearby JW for out of town guests. I logged in as myself to have the PP status recognized and tested a single room rate for the 2-day weekend (in November) and got a $99 rate; I then used the meeting planner for 15 & 25 rooms and got a $90 rate, or roughly 10% discount. Frankly, I thought I would see better savings with the number of rooms requested.

Anyone out there in MRI-land who has some good tips on negotiating a great rate for a block of rooms? How much of a discount off the rack rate is considered a "great deal" assuming 15-25 rooms?

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/6207

Per the post, 2011 Annual Hotel Category Changes ~100 hotels will decrease a category and ~350 hotels will increase by a category. Less than 10% of the changes have been made to the Category 5-8 hotels.

If you can overlook some asumptions, then according to my calculations*, this is an equivalent reduction in points value of 2.39% accross the board. Here is what I think will be the new property categories (those in bold are for the 5-8 category changes spelled out in the article) - (see spreadsheet photo attached):

Estimated Loss in Points Value = 2.39%

Lastly, the statement, "Less than 10% of the changes have been made to the Category 5-8 hotels." is true as the number of properties starting out as a cat 5-8 was 508; only 50 changes to these categories were cited, hence <10% were affected. However, 16.19% of all cat 5-8 were affected post-recategorization.

For math enthusiasts: assuming all the cat 5-8 changes were cited, then 450 (100 down + 350 up) changes will happen to the "uncited" cats 1-4. Since cat 1 cannot decrease but only increase, the "going down" is zero. This leaves 100 decreases to spread over cat 2-4. Cat 2 was calculated using a weighted average as follows: 100 X 887/(887 + 1197 + 586) = 33 going down. Similarly, 350 increases to spread over cat 1-4 as follows: 350 X 887/(288 + 887 + 1197 + 586) = 105 going up.

To determine the "New #" value for cat 2 was to take the starting number less the change up and less the change down of Cat 2 plus the Cat 1s moving up plus the Cat 3s moving down or mathematically: 887 - 33 - 105 + 34 + 45 = 828.

To calculate affect on points value lost (assumes every hotel has a one-night stay to generate a statistical "population of means"): take each category's new # of properties X points/night (Tot Pts New in thousands) and starting number of properties X points/night (Tot Pts Old in thousands); tally New and divide by tally Old to yield 2.39% or mathematically: 55198 / 54610 = 102.39.

Pingreeman's "pain" - since I have 1,879,623 points banked, I've seen a loss of approximately 43,962 points, or easily a Cat 8 night or a 5 days' stay at a Cat 2.

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/6244

According to T&C for Platinum members under the 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, "Traveling on short notice? We’ll guarantee you’ll always have a room for any paid stay. Just make your reservations 48 hours before arrival at over 3,200 participating Marriott hotels.

Two months ago, I reserved a points-paid 2BR suite at the RI-Fort Myers Sanibel for the week 03/27-04/03. Today, I was curious what the cash-price would be, so  - I logged into reservations using my PP number and password, performed an Advanced Search using the EXACT street address for the property for the same days. Interestingly, this property did NOT appear among the available hotels (it's sold out), the nearest at 4.4 miles from the address.

Here's what bothers me - if I need a hotel close to an address (such as a client of mine) and there is a property literally within or on the same block AND if I am supposed to be guaranteed 48-hour guaranteed availability as a PP, then why does this property NOT show up in the results? What good does a 48-hour guarantee provide if I can't get the "most convenient" hotel?

I'm sure some MRI replies will be to call the PP reservations desk - sure, glad to do so, but how would I know the property even exists if it does not appear in a list? There is a solution - don't start with arrival/departure dates - then all show up in the list!

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/6543

Being a self-employed consultant and a PP member (7 years now), I can only plan vacations when I am between clients (usually a 2-3 week window, max). My current gig completed on June 17 and I have until July 11 before my next gig.

My 19th anniversary is on July 4 (Independence Day, can you believe it?) and I wanted a very nice stay in Las Vegas (we eloped there). I tried booking the Cosmopoliton using points for 6/26 - 7/05, but only the 3rd-5th allow reward points.

Once again, I cannot use points despite "No Blackout dates" or having over 967 PAID nights from 2005 through 2010 (90 PAID in 2011). Here's my points:

Balance: 2,026,754 points

Marriott - are you listening? Is a PLUTONIUM status the only way to provide real value to uber-Platinums?

• Re: Marriott Points - just how much are they worth - an analysis
    lesliepamel Platinum

What shocked me with your table was that the Cat 6 hotel cost $191.5 pn, then add 12% tax = $214.48PN. So 3 nights would cost 90,000 points or $643.

My vacation ownership at Marriott Royal Palms - which I purchased 24 years ago- trades for 100,000 points.

My maintenance for that timeshare costs $1054.64.

SO IF I TRADE MY TIMESHARE FOR 100,000  POINTS I GET 3 NIGHTS IN AN HOTEL, WHICH IF I USED CASH INSTEAD OF POINTS WOULD ONLY COST ME $643

AND NON OF THAT EQUATION TAKES INTO ACCOUNT THAT I MADE A CAPITAL PAYMENT OF $13,000.

BILL MARRIOTT HAS TRULY WRECKED THE DREAMS OF MANY MVCI MEMBERS, AND SHOWN THAT MARRIOTT ASSOCIATES WHO SELL TIMESHARE SPEAK WITH A FORKED TONGUE! WHICH TO ME SIMPLY MEANS THAT MARRIOTT IS NOT A COMPANY TO BE TRUSTED.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This is nice work!

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

thommac Gold

Well, don’t trade for points then. Do as before. The points system may actually be a way of saving the industry.

More options exist if you go points, so the trade off has to be covered somehow and hotel costs will become more expensive later and this will again be a savings for any vacation. Just hang in there and enjoy your resort. If you bought some where you don’t visit, I also think trading or selling is what you should consider.

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Hi all,

I would agree in general that using points in North America is usually not worth it unless you are in a very high cost area like NYC.

However, using points in Europe (especially when you get the 5th night free) at anywhere from a Cat 5-8 is most definitely worth it, especially when you include the exchange rate.

The same is true of FF miles.  I did not use them to Cairo, but did so at the last minute to Istanbul.  For 100,000 Skymiles I got a business class ticket, which when I checked online would have cost me $6500.

An example: The Grand Flora Rome.  The basic cost of the simplest room is 269 euros, which works out currently (and currently is good for the dollar) to $356 when converted from euros or $1780 for five nights.  If you used points (and contrary to statements about Cat 8 hotels, you can if you contact the hotel directly), you'd first of all get the fifth night free and it would cost you 140,000 points.  I'll let the mathematicians in the group figure it out, but it is a good deal.  A really good deal!

I would add that at the Flora not only did I use points on one 5-day stay but was upgraded to the Presidential Suite.  But the same is true of many other Cat 7 and 8 (and even lesser) hotels in Europe.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Hey there, points mavens:

One other thing.

The points have no value (monetary, that is) so they are essentially valueless unless they are used.  When I use them it is almost always at a category 8 hotel like the Marriott Marquis in NY.  At their rack rate (recently) of $699 a night that was a good use of 240,000 points! For me at least.  Thus I spent the equivalent of 24,000 dollars to save nearly 5K dollars, but I would have spent the 24,000 in hotel charges anyway.

Call me {Polyanna} but that's my  take on it.

nicerinperson Platinum

My take as well. I stay for work to accumulate the points and stay for pleasure/vacation to spend them. I probably average $100 for every 2000 points when you add in the bonuses along the way. So the hypothetical 240,000pts really cost about $12K ;)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Marriott sells points at $12.50 per 1000 points.*  That's only $3,000 for that Category 8 dream.  Planning is involved, points may be purchased up to a maximum of 50,000 per calendar year.

* Buy Marriott Rewards Points

Great point TJ--something I forgot (among lots of other things)!

nycedp Gold

Good discussion, but New York Marquis is not close to $699/night (maybe a couple years ago before the crash?).  For dates in IL example, it comes up at 269/night so Cat 8 points aren't saving as much $.

obsidian Gold

Don't use the points for free nights.  Use the points for gift cards at retailers.  You get the best value using that option.  Pick gift cards from retailers who don't have an expiration date within reason and stack the cards.  You can purchase some very nice items with them.  I usually build in one or two days for free exploration on most of my business trips, so I use the points for other things.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Read your analysis just now -- your Category 4 average per night is higher than Category 5 (Category 4=$172 vs Category 5=$133).

This means it's cheaper to stay in Category 5 than Cat 4 based on average per night?

hahaha48 Platinum 2 Reviews

The best value for points is to use them for 5 or 7 day stays in an area where there are no good rates for any other hotels.

Another idea is use them for saver point deals.

The next time I'll be using 40,000 points for 5 nights at the JW Marriott in ShenZhen China (3/12/2011). I have stay there once before and it is a great 5 star hotel. You have to pay at least us$100 a night in Hong Kong for a 4 star hotel and at least US$100 a night here for a 5 star hotel.

The other time I spend 175000 points for 7 nights in a resort in Hawii and that is a room you have to pay $400 a night and no other hotel there you can get for a low price

tjcnewyork Platinum

Excellent topic.  Last week, Reuters published an article about the value of Marriott Gift Cheques and strategies when to use them.  The article also sheds light on the value of Marriott Rewards points that seems germane to the focus here.

Worth a look:  Marriott Elites Tip: Real Value of $1,000 Marriott Cheques

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

PGM.... Excellent work!!!  Understanding it's always better to get something for "free", is there a generally accepted breakeven point for MR point redemption versus cash?  When does the bang for the buck become a diminishing return? Can we fill in the blanks below?

Lets say a person has saved up 300,000 points

IF the room rate is $600 THEN use points up to 240,000

IF the room rate is $400 THEN use points up to 200,000

IF the room rate is $___ THEN use ___

IF the room rate is $100 THEN save your points and pay cash???

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

We remain skeptical of calculations monetizing the points. (Although it was that type of analysis that convinced us to focus on Marriott points rather than airplane miles on our charge cards.)

But, more importantly, as at least one Insider (SteppingStones?) noted, the points aren't "worth" anything unless they're used.   Folks use them very differently, and usage determines value. And there's no question that using them strategically dramatically increases their value.

While at least one Insider has suggested this, above, our family has concluded, based on experience, that the best value use of points entails:

• 5 night stays (or multiples of 5 nights) - the fifth night, in effect, adding a 25 percent bonus value to the first four nights;
      • using points only at hotels that we could not otherwise afford - that includes the category 7 and 8 properties, the Ritz Carlton, etc.

Of course, that approach doesn't make sense for everyone. 

Heck, I'm plenty of people use their points to buy fancy toys out of the Marriott merchandise catalog.  (If they didn't, Marriott wouldn't keep sending it to us.)  I'd love to have so many points that I didn't have to hoard them and use them so judiciously....

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow.thanks for all the analysis Pingreeman...I am a little slow and it will take me awhile to grasp all the conclusions!!!

OK - so here's the quasi-official latest (public) points valuation by Marriott (based on their sweepstakes disclosure).

• 1,000,000 Marriott Rewards® Points - Approximate Retail Values (“ARV”) is USD $12,500
    • 100,000 Marriott Rewards® Points - ARV is USD $1,250
    • 10,000 Marriott Rewards® Points - ARV is USD $125
    • 1,000 Marriott Rewards® Points - ARV is USD $12.50

So .... (as noted above) Marriott believes that points are worth 1.25 cents each.... [assuming my math is correct]

http://scg-marriott-sweepstakes-app.heroku.com/rewards_rules

Using that metric, my family's blowout (two-room) stay at the Barcelona Ritz Carlton Hotel Arts last summer was "worth" $6,000.   That sounds about right, if not a little low (based on posted room prices).

Yes and nicely done

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Well that explains why they sell 1000 points for $12.50.  Also a good way to value reward deals, like the SHS offer of 5,000 points for 2 nites, or you could buy the points for $62.50.   When I went to use the category 1-4 award, the only hotel I could find to use it in was selling for $60-70 with the AAA rate, so I figure that is about what that award is worth!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Not so fast!  I adden extra stays for the present promotion.  Marriott is making money that I was not going to spend.  But I am going to DC next year and instead of staying at the Marriott at Reagan, I will stay at the RI, a cat 4, for 3 nights using my certificates.  The nights there would have cost me over $250 with tax (best that I could get, undiscounted over $400)  The RI is nest to the Ren and one can use all that they have.

Thanx for the tip.

I need to find some Cat 1-4 properties to spend my points in as most of my favorite places are cat 5 and above

That is the case for most of us.  The reason for asking people to vote on upgrading.

I lucked out.  That does not happen often. 

I put a question up for discussion to see what others recommend in the way of Cat 1-4 properties. Trying to come up with some ideas of how to use these.  Thus far, every award I have had has expired as I have found no use for them, but I keep trying :=)

Is Marriott counting on that!  I think that we should be able to upgrade them by paying the pt difference or cash.  I think they give us access to properties that people don`t use points to get.  Most of go after higher cat hotels.

I tried this when booking a property.  I offered to pay to upgrade. Even the platinum line couldn't help me.  I don't think they are planning on this, but I do think they haven't thought this through.  Alot of vendors don't travel as guests, so they don't see how it lookd from the customer side of things.  One restaurant I use to frequent, use to once a month send a group of employees out to dinner to another restaurant, so they could see how it was being a customer, and what the service was like. Many of them had never really been to a restaurant as a customer, if they couldn't afford it, or grew up in homes where there was limited resources.

That's a shame....  I've stayed in a fair number of lower-tier properties (Residence Inns, Courtyards (although I really don't like their new breakfast model), Fairfield Inns, and, increasingly, I've become a fan of Spring Hill Suites) particularly in rural areas, University towns, etc....  For example, I've spent dozens of nights in Charlottesville at the Residence Inn (nice room, great staff, good food, etc.) - Charlottesville VA Hotels | Residence Inn Downtown Charlottesville Hotel ... I like it much better than the two Courtyards in town (although the location of the Courtyard downtown, near the hospital, is superior)....

But, the bottom line is that, if you only travel to the tourist-magnet high-cost urban centers, you won't find many lower tier options....

For me, its not so much the brand but the location.  I spend alot of my nites I large urban areas, and they just don't have properties in the cat 1-4 level.  I have stayed at very nice Fairfield Inns, Courtyards, Residence Inns, but its been away from the urban areas, usually on busniess travel, and often they didn't have a cat 5 or higher property.

This is why I think they may need to rethink the strategy.  We earn our points all over the place, but when we want to use them, often there is no qualifying property where we are going.  It would be nice to either combine them, e.g. 2 certificates for a Cat 5-8 property, or add some money to it. Either would be a nice perk.  Or maybe even offer both options. This time I have 2 rewards, last year was one reward.

I will be in the Charlotsville area next year and tried to pull it up.  It shows no rooms.  My plat override should be able to get a room so maybe it will no longer be a Marriott.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

When I was Platinum (oh, the pain of being downgraded!) I hit a similar problem when trying to book a hotel in Manchester in the UK.  My Plat override didn't seem to work.  I phoned the Plat service line and they fixed it.  It seemed to be due to a big wedding blocking out a lot of rooms.  Needless to say, when I head the words 'big wedding' I decided to find another hotel!

I hope we're not getting too far afield here, but I'm pretty sure that the Charlottesville Residence Inn is NOT leaving the system.  My experience is that the hotel fills up - way in advance - frequently.  The hotel is just below the University of Virginia's "North Grounds" (yeah, they call it the grounds, rather than the campus - whatever).  The North Grounds houses both the law school and the business school - but - more importantly for these purposes - also houses the Darden School of Business (which has limited executive education short-term housing) and the Army Judge Advocate General's School (or JAG School), which hosts a steady stream of resident short courses.  If the JAG School is hosting multiple short-courses (particularly in the big classrooms - which seat 100+ and 200+ students), their students easily fill up the Residence Inn, and then spill over to other, less convenient hotels (many of which don't offer a free breakfast, evening cookouts, etc.)....  It's an easy walk from the Residence Inn to Darden and/or the JAG School - all of the other hotels, at a minimum, are on the other side of the Barracks Road shopping center and require a car (which is a hassle, because there's limited parking) or shuttle service....

Thanx for the data!

It pretty confirms my use of points.

I pay for the cheaper properties to earn points, and I spend points either at expensive properties, or when I want to stay somewhere in high season and prices are therefore high.

I enjoyed the analysis.  I do as GemPrincess.  At one time I had millions of points and then realized how periodically Marriott devalued them by increasing the points required or increasing the cat of hotels.  I have use almost all of mine.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

A very good point ... like you, I use my points fairly quickly but always try to use the Travel Packages  as they seem the nest value.

I am constantly using mine up.  For business travel, our corporate travel agent books us at the properties with company rates, which are usually more mid-range properties.  For my personal travel, I either return to my favorite properties or try out new ones. Have also used them to book cruises. So I use up a lot of points doing this.  I also share them with family members for special occassions.  I pretty much use them up as soon as I earn enough for the next trip

king563 Platinum

Thanks for sharing your analysis. I'm a Premier Platinum member for life with over a million rewards points and own two weeks with Marriott Vacation club (Newport Coast and Desert Springs II).

I have realized that you get your best bang for your points with the travel packages and utilize my weekday stays with vacation club points (less points needed).

I just purchased the category 6 package which includes 7 nights hotel and 120,000 miles with United Airlines and rental car certificate discount with Hertz for 300,000 points. With my Marriott vacation club points I purchased the 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise balcony ocean view on the Oasis of the Seas for October and utilized the United points to fly to and from Los Angeles for $40.00 for my wife and myself.  In addition, I also utilized my leftover vacation club points to spend 3 nights before our cruise at the Fort Lauderdale vacation club.

The hotel certificate is good for 1 year so we plan on staying in New Orleans at the Saint Hotel a Autograph Collection Hotel next March.

In my opinion, even with all the recent changes. The Marriott Rewards program is the best program out there!

rmenschel Platinum 6 Reviews

We recently stayed four nights at Town Place Suites Anaheim Angles Stadium totally free. We received a managers complimentary upgrade to a two bedroom suite, with no extra charge. This included free wifi and free breakfast for our entire group, four adults and two children. We receive points with every purchase and all our household bills are paid through our Marriott Credit card, for several thousand points a month. Our stay was worth far more than this chart indicates.

king563 Platinum

Marriott has discontinued American Airlines as a partner on the  rewards program, was your exchange several years ago?

When we were notified that AA would not be a part of the program, I redemed a lot of rewards pts.  At that time I had over 500,000 AA miles.  Now I have around 80k.  Flying first class on international flights burns miles fast.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

King,

You're most likely correct. Pingreeman was a valuable poster that left the site a few months ago. Hope to see him back in the future.

king563 Platinum

Californian,

That was a great move on your part. I now have moved on to United after using AA for years. I just burned my last 25k points and moved over to United. So far so good, I just booked round trip tickets to New Orleans next April for two for a total of 50k miles flying coach. I had many great experiences utilizing AA partners in the past. My wife and I flew several times to Asia on business class. it's a shame Marriott and AA  severed their relationship.

When it first happened, we thought it would be temparory but it looks like it is permanent.  Marriott had all the mjor airlines which made it more appealing.

Marriott has gone through cycles with the airlines.  At first they only had a few. I remember my first big award. They sent the coupons to me in the mail, one for the hotel, one for the airline tickets, and one for a car.  I booked the Athens Ledra as I was on my way to Istanbul but there was no Marriott there in those days.  I then booked one of the last TWA flites that existed as that was the only airline I could use the tickets with, even though it was not an airline that I had never used.  And since I didn't get a car as I had a private guide in Athens, and used the buses in Turkey, the car certificate expired and I never got to use it.

We have lost many MI who I miss.  Makes me wonder why they just fade away.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

good question.  It seems to me, the ones we miss are the ones that contribute often (of course) and are passionate their efforts to improve the quality of travel experiences for Insiders.  These folks seem to get frustrated by their inability to affect any real change and burn out trying to get anything done.  Others just get tired of this pastime and go on to other way to pass their time.  any other opinions on this?