Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2010 8:47 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott Rewards MegaBonus Promotion

maxxedman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am more than a little upset with the new Mega Bonus promotion.   This is the third promotion of this type this year.    The names of the three promotions:

Marriott Rewards® MegaBonus® Promotion

So I assumed the third was the same as the first two.  But to make sure I check out the promotion page and I read it.  What do I have to do?  Three things.

1) Register by selecting the "Register" button or by calling 1-888-MARRIOTT (888-627-7468) by October 31, 2010.

Okay, I did that.

2) Stay at any of the more than 3,200 participating hotels between September 15, 2010 and January 15, 2011.

Okay, I did that.

3) Earn 35,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights, plus an additional 15,000 bonus points after 25 paid nights, up to 50,000 bonus points, using your Visa® card.

Okay, so now I get my points like the last two promotions.  But wait, now there is a mention of a Visa card.   The promotion doesn't say anything about Visa card anywhere else.  So I check the FAQ to see if I have to use my Visa card for it to qualify as a stay for the promotion.

"What is a qualified stay?
Qualified stays are those made between September 15, 2010 – January 15, 2011, at a participating Marriott property. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit. A stay is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity."

Okay, well it looks like I don't have to use a Visa card for the stay to qualify for the promotion.

So when the rest of my project moved to the Westin to sleep in the Heavenly beds, and showers with two shower heads, a hotel that matched their platimum status and was giving them triple points, I stayed loyal to the Marriott for the Mega Bonus.   A mega bonus that after having spend the required number of nights, I find out, I do not in fact qualify for.  So I guess the $2000+ I spend a month isn't loyal enough, because I used an Amex Card to pay for my room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards MegaBonus Promotion
    tjcnewyork Platinum

MaxxedMan

For several years now, the Megabonus promo switches from Amex to Visa and back again.  The Terms & Conditions for the current promo are very clear, it is very understandable that ineligibility triggers disappointment.

Consider writing customer.care@marriott.com forwarding the communication you're quoting where the T&C is not clear.  The objective is to obtain additional points, perhaps bonus points outside of the promo may be feasible given you can demonstrate the extent of your loyalty to the brand.

Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

maxxedman Platinum

I read the terms and conditions last night, and I realize it's something I should have done before.  I realize that I don't qualify and shold have known that.  What wasn't clear was the promotion page and the FAQ, neither of which is official, but how often does any one read terms and conditions instead of just clicking the checkbox saying you have and moving on.

Frustrated more that after the $20,000 Marriott makes each year because I choose to stay here instead of another hotel chain, a qualifying condition such as method of payment even exists at all.

Has a strong feel of "Sure you are loyal, but you aren't loyal enough" to it.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/MegaBonus2010-b.jpg

Above:  Fall 2010 Megabonus landing page as viewed with Firefox 3.6 with all toolbars turned off.

With so many Insider posts about this topic, perhaps rethinking  Megabonus merits consideration?  Venturing a solution, what if Marriott offered a Build-Your-Own-Megabonus?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

TJC  - EXCELLENT Idea!  A build-your-own Mega Bonus, keeping the "nights stayed" requirements at a level that makes sense for Mariiott, sound like a winner.  Now, how do we get someone to consider this idea?  Or, are there other ideas out there that should also be considered????

tjcnewyork Platinum

"A build-your-own Mega Bonus, keeping the "nights stayed" requirements at a level that makes sense for Mariiott, sound like a winner."

Shoeman

Thanks for the kind words.  Because of it's popularity among Elite, Marriott's Megabonus promotion consistently placed in the Best Promotion category of the Freddie Awards.  In fact, in 2009, Megabonus claimed the Freddie for Best Promotion in Europe, Middle East, Africa.  That year, surprisingly Megabonus was 2nd to IHG's Double Points in the Americas.

Marriott Megabonus is well established and evolving the promotion into a Build-your-own or DIY Megabonus intuitively makes sense, IMO.

Now, how do we get someone to consider this idea?

One way is to vote (for the Insider posts that contain the ideas).  Another way is to write Marriott Rewards; Megabonus is their domain.  See the News Release for contact information.

seagrey Platinum

Is there a joint venture with Marriott and Visa?  What is the benefit to either company?  It appears Marriott would, has and could continue to lose business as people are "shopping" for points programs.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://www.comparecards.com/images/v2/compare/visa.gifhttp://www.comparecards.com/images/v2/compare/american-express.gif

"Is there a joint venture with Marriott and Visa?"

Where are various credit cards accepted? and How do the number of credit cards ~issued~ compare? may be more relevant.

Visa has over 1.3 billion cards in circulation with acceptance in 150 countries.  American Express is accepted in 130 countries, but finding published figures with the number of cards can present a challenge.

To sum up, Marriott's Megabonus offers a great incentive to the largest possible number of potential guests who carry Visa.

smoothone Platinum

I recieved the email about MegaBonus, but I have not been able to register for this promotion. The only one in promo central in "get two free night..." I am unable to get this promotion? 

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/PromoTracker/PromotionImagery/MegaBonus/Spring%2011/MegaBonus_us_920x276.jpg

" TJC  - EXCELLENT Idea!  A build-your-own Mega Bonus, keeping the "nights stayed" requirements at a level that makes sense for Mariiott, sound like a winner.  Now, how do we get someone to consider this idea? "

Shoeman - As Marissa Tomei's character, Ms. Vito says in My Cousin Vinny"You have to say 'Thank You'.  OMG, what a friggin' nightmare!" No ranting about the upcoming Megabonus here.

'Thank you', Marriott for listening!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...