11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 11:13 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Key West Marriott

redwood Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone got experiences at the Key west Marriott resort - looking at a stay there next Easter?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Key West, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel
  • Re: Key West Marriott
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 59 Reviews

Redwood,

Go to previous Insiders comments!

I know the Courtyard and the FF are really good, I have stayed at both of them.  All I read about is how wonderful the Marriott is in Key West.

Am planning on staying there.  If you go give us a report.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

I stayed here last March and had a great vacation experience. I had done a review in the Marriott Forum upon my return, but it probably got lost in the web relaunch.

This is a former timeshare property and there is a big difference between the std. rooms (similar to lockoff bedroom in timeshare) and the one bedroom units with a full kitchen and living room. I was fortunate to receive a platinum upgrade and the facilities were nicer than most Marriott Vacationclub villas. Most rooms overlook the pool and bay. The pool is very nice and has plenty of chairs, but there isn't a real beach onsite (but there is a nice public beach nearbye). My only disappointment was the fitness facility which had very limitted weight equipment.

Although the resort is about a 10 minute drive to Duval St., but the hotel provides a free shuttle. I actually prefer being away from the crowds and noise. As a platinum member, I received breakfast vouchers every day for an outstanding buffet. The onsite restaurant is actually very good and attracts a local crowd. They have happy hours (2 for 1) a couple nights per week and had excellent wines by the glass and snacks.

Overall, this is one of the nicer hotels on Key West. The upgrade is key. Easter week may have more limited upgrade opportunities, so I suggest checking out the cost of an upgrade. Recent reviews on Trip Advisor are still pretty good, but it appears that upgrades aren't always available to platinums due to high occupancy rates. The hotel is very close to the Key West airport and complimentary shuttle service is provided. I only rented a car for two days and used the shuttle for the rest of the week. Have a great trip.  

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Great information for planning a trip.

Every trip I have had to Key West has been as a cruise ship stop, so I would like to spend more time there, than just 1 day as a cruise stop.

I did check all properties in Key West, and they are all Cat 6 or higher, including the CY & FI, so it will not be possible to use my 3 Summer Promotion Cat 1-4 certificates in Key West.

A real shame!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

SuperChief said it all. It's a great property and the "full" rooms are huge. I was able to get a one bedroom and was extremely impressed.

While it's not downtown, the drive is quick and I can't imagine a taxi fare being too much.

Key West is one of my favorite relaxing spots on the planet - and I've been around.

redwood Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks folks - good feedback.

jimmyt Platinum 4 Reviews

My family and I checked in last night.  The hotel is clean and has nice views.  I'll can let you know how it turns out after my trip.

dblplatinum Platinum 4 Reviews

I did not find this resort staff to be as friendly or helpful as most other Marriott resorts. The front desk was average, with a couple of them being outstanding and a couple were not very helpful and not aware of appeared not engaged with me as the customer. The restaurant staff, hostesses and servers, we less than expected. The hotel is very nice, they did upgrade us as a Platinum Elite for 3 days, and it was appreciated. However, the overall enthusiasm and friendliness that I have come to welcome from Marriott is not reflected overall by this staff. With that said, the drivers we outstanding, they provided a wealth of knowledge and friendliness that were outstanding. The location is nice, but you will need to take the shuttle most places, rent a scooter or bike. The pool is average at best, but you have access to a very nice beach. The hotel overall is very clean and quiet, great for relaxing. I always like Marriott as I have come to expect helpful and friendly staff overall and consistency! This facility was inconsistent, having several members as outstanding but an equal number far less than that, even to the point where I felt like they were doing me a favor. Key West is a great place, irrespective!

aztravelr Silver 4 Reviews

Stayed @Key West Marriott a couple years ago.  Nice laid-back place, good restaurant and transportation to downtown for exploring.... very small beach, nice pool.  We had a great time!

rt Platinum 4 Reviews

Here is my experience - reproduced from Trip Advisor...venting...but, the bottom-line is, based on our experience, you are better off at the Courtyard in Key West...

Should mention at the outset that we chose this Marriott for a points stay because it was the highest (Marriott) rated hotel in Key West. And that, it is the first time we found that the Marriott category rating wasn't on the money - in fact it was way off !! We stayed 2 nights around July 4th and to say we were disappointed would be as mild as we can get. Not sure how this hotel is rated as a Category 7 by Marriott, but it was the smallest, dysfunctional Marriott room I have ever stayed at - and that includes a random, Fairfield category 3 airport property that I have had to bunker down when a flight got cancelled at 11 p.m. in the mid-west!

I get the part of a platinum member upgrade being subject to availability, but the room itself was a shocker! It was a King room that faced the basement wall of the parking garage and the (real) living dimensions would be perhaps 16X11 (think real small - also, the reason, why you can't have a rollaway - there simply isn't place to put one in!). There is a chest of drawers right by the main entrance (and I mean right by - just below the first switch that you hit as you enter the room - talk about convenience) atop which resides a coffee machine. A little work table (which might accommodate a laptop that you might want to hard-wire to connect to the internet router - because guess what, this category 7 hotel can guarantee a wireless connection only in the lobby, meeting rooms, and the pool - not in the rooms!!) - but, if you do sit at the table, you would block the view to the TV that is mounted 8 inches above the desk and facing the king bed (why would you have the TV mounted so low??). To complete the picture, the only mirror in the room was in the bathroom! Can't quite recollect when the last time was that I found myself in a room like this!

And lest I forget, it was a struggle to get our suitcases in the closet and once in there, almost impossible to access them! Which was perhaps the motto at this hotel - you will read other reviewers talking about the numbering schema of the rooms, no one mentioned that the hotel overlooked the need for basic signage - we got in late, drove into the dimly lit parking garage right at the end of building 5, got out of our cars and found no signs to the elevators or to the building entrance - I kid you not - the family disperses in different directions to figure where the entrance to the building is - one ends up at the side entrance of the pool, another feet away from the elevators without realizing they were just around the corner, and I explored the little pathway and came up to a little (hidden) entrance gate (of course, no mention of what building number this is). The key works at the gate and that is my only clue that I'm perhaps in the right building - category 7, you say?? Anyways, the following day, we were convinced that we had all missed the obvious signage the previous night, and we scoured the garage in daylight hours - it only confirmed that we were right the previous night!

Now, there are a few reviewers who pointed to the inadequacies of the beach - hope this description helps - the 'beach' firstly, is on the gulf of Mexico side (I met a couple of guests at the bar who were unaware of that fact when they reserved rooms here, so, I thought I would mention that obvious fact); secondly there are like a couple of buildings that have balconies and face the water. Alongside these buildings is a path and some shrubs. That is the beach - enough to place a beach chair at the concrete edge ( you will have people using the pathway walking just behind you). There is a little more sand at one end, which is also the launching pad for a few wave runners...and, that is the beach! Saw no one venture for a swim at the beach!!

The pool is a small pool with a bar and few cabanas around it (with some fans). Adequate, not pretty, and connects to the path leading to the 'beach'.

Free shuttles run on the hour (thru 11 p.m.) into Duval Street and the return trip is at 20 past the hour (thru 11:20 p.m.). We found the drivers to range from the courteous, entertaining, and enthusiastic (Manny) to the sultry, indifferent, students with a summer job (everybody else).

The location is almost at the entrance of Key West right off of Rt1 (we did pass the other 2 Marriott properties on the way to Duval, so, if you desire to be closer, you have one more reason to not stay here!).

And the last straw - housekeeping - extra pillows on the night of the check-in took them 45 minutes to deliver. Discovered the next morning that we have no bath soap and called house-keeping. After explaining that we did not find any bath soap in the bathroom, she goes, would you like it now?? We get A bar in a few minutes, and then, guess what, they clean the room later in the day and leave us nothing for the next day! To err is human, but twice in 2 days...by the end of day 2, we just wanted to get out and head off to our south beach marriott (review follows).

Bottom-line - if you are in a King room that has no balcony and doesn't face the water, you should decline - and for all you Marriott reward folks, do consider the alternative options in Key West - 35K a night for this room? - surely, you can find better places to spend those points! I know this did establish a new low in our marriott experience - crampy interior, iffy wireless, thoughtless design, no balcony, no view, sketchy service - and at 35K points a night - priceless (a fool i was). I read all these reviews of those other rooms (presidential suites, et al) - if you can't be guaranteed one, don't bother wasting your points here!

Catch 22

Unable to use the Summer Promotion Cat 1-4 certificate here as this CY is listed as a Cat 6....but even if I could....would I want to????

Sounds like not!

p.s. all my really sketchy Marriott stays have been in FL [one in Tampa, one in FLL]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...