13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2014 6:50 PM by llr44116 RSS

New Vacation Club point system

stevenlfreeman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a vacation club owner in Park City, Utah - I have had nothing but a terriable time using Interval Int. Has anyone used the new vacation club point system, if so how is it?

• Re: New Vacation Club point system
    klaus29 Platinum

for me the  best way  is to take a gateway with interval.

not expensive in all. have a look on the website from

www.intervalworld.com

dont make a exchange.

and give to rent your residence in utah your self.

and  vergette  the pointsystem.

exuse  my poor  englisch

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

I suggest reviewing comments regarding the new program on Timeshare Users Groups. The reviews for the new program have been overwhelmingly negative. Most have found Interval to be better for exchanging. Those who tried to reserve resorts using points for the first week usually had to be put on a waitlist for their requested resorts, but they still had to convert and commit to points prior knowing whether they would get the resort they wanted. I do not plan to join at this time unless major changes are made, and I own 5 MVC weeks that I bought from Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ecivdhc Platinum

I just got off the phone with the vacation planners trying to get additional information on the program.  There are several major problems.

First, AND A BIG NEGATIVE, is that the points you get for the resort are less that what the same resort "costs".  For example, I own a silver season week at Grande Ocean.  If I "deposit" my week I get 1925 points.  If I want to trade for a week in the same season, same resort, it costs 2050 points.  In other words, I lose 150 points of value in the transaction.  The vacation planner indicated this was correct, but that it really doesn't matter because I wouldn't do that.  I indicated that was not the point.  If I wanted to reserve a week it should "cost" the same as what I get from a deposit of that week.  I would be paying a fee to join, an annual fee, and lose value.  The Marriott person said, "Oh, but you gain flexibility!".  Maybe, but that is not how Marriott should treat owners.  Also, Marriott has total control over changing that to an even worse ratio of deposit to cost in the future.  Again, Marriott vacation planner says, "then you don't have to exchange that way".  But I paid big bucks up front (in my case $1,995) to be able to gain that flexibility and lose trade value with no guarantee that the spread won't increase.

Also, not all resorts can be converted.  I own at 2 U.S. resorts (convertible) and Phuket and Spain (not convertible).  I asked about that and was referred to the webset which says that "may be an option in the future", but at another fee I am sure.

I just find it appalling that Marriott would "stick it" to owners like that.  I have recommended the Vacation Club to a lot of people, but am unlikely to do so in the future with these kinds of issues.  I certainly would not sign up for this program.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I have recommended the Vacation Club to a lot of people, but am unlikely to do so in the future with these kinds of issues.  I certainly would not sign up for this program."

Thank you for taking the time to post your expectations about Marriott's treatment of their timeshare owners and share the information about increased flexibility at the expense of real value.

Are you aware that the points program rolled out about a year ago with the Asia Pacific Club?  This included Phuket, by the way.  But the offering was only available to residents of countries ~outside of the United States~ bordering Asia and the Pacific Rim.  In the US, only Grand Chateau in Las Vegas was included, but owners in Las Vegas (like one of my family members living in NY state) were excluded from the offering.  In fact, we could not even inquire.

Unlike Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Disney Vacation Club which rolled out deeded points-based programs from the start,  Marriott Vacation Club was the only weeks-based resort program aligned with a major world-class loyalty rewards program, Marriott Rewards.   Aligning the two (lodging and timeshare) with Marriott Rewards ~was~ the strength of the Marriott brand.

Now that Marriott has discontinued selling weeks-based home resort ownership, our legacy product becomes scarce. By statute, Marriott cannot change the terms of the legacy weeks unless the laws in various states where Marriott registered change.  In a supply and demand economy, my hunch is that scarcity increases the value of the legacy product.

Along those lines, next time you speak with sales or owner services, ask about the resale value of your units.  Find out how many units are 'registered' for resale at your home resort(s) and how many are actually 'listed' for resale.  There is a distinction between 'registered' and 'listed'.   If I had the $$, I would purchase additional legacy weeks.

About 2 weeks ago, I learned that the American Resort Development Association (ARDA) championed new legislation in Florida that would enable timeshare owners to rent timeshare on a transient basis w/o incurring liability to pay tax on that revenue or on the exchange fees.  The Florida legislature passed House Bill 61 in July 2009 and it became law in August of that year when Govenor Crist signed it.

As a developer, Marriott is among the largest if not the largest owner of timeshare resorts in the United States.  It is no coincidence that Florida is the timeshare capital of the world and that both Marriott Vacation Club and Interval International are headquartered there.  The Destination Club program is simply a glorified timeshare rental program in sheep's clothing.

With that in mind, it is in Marriott's interests to develop timeshare products for sale and then accelerate the ways that sold units can be converted to rental inventory.   It is also in Marriott's interests to drive legacy owners to sell their timeshares so that there is additional resale inventory that can be acquired by MVC at distressed prices and placed into service as rental inventory.

Check here for hundreds of messages related to the subject of Marriott Vacation Club.  I look forward to reading more of your and other owners posts.  Vote if you want to see more of this type of content.

bazzap Platinum

Hi tjc

I am really interested in your comment

Now that Marriott has discontinued selling weeks-based home resort ownership, our legacy product becomes scarce. By statute, Marriott cannot change the terms of the legacy weeks unless the laws in various states where Marriott registered change.  In a supply and demand economy, my hunch is that scarcity increases the value of the legacy product.

Most comments I have read previously have suggested that as more and more inventory becomes Points based, weeks owners will find it increasingly difficult to secure exchanges.

If you believe differently, can I ask please what leads you to this conclusion?

Many thanks.

PS

when I try to

Check here for hundreds of messages related to the subject of Marriott Vacation Club

I get

An unexpected error has occurred

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Steven,

Am coming to Park City in the Spring.  It's been a while since I was in PC, where would you recommend a couple to stay?  We do not ski, just shop and dine.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I echo what's been said here. I have owned Desert Springs I for a number of years and decided not to convert to DC based upon myriads of responses from owners who feel they have been slighted. The mere fact that I would receive less points for my week than it would cost to get into the same week speaks volumes. My research has shown that I would need to save up or "bank" two years worth of points in order to reserve at a property that I used to exchange for through Interval.

Don't even get me started about the new points sales presentations. I attended one over the summer and was put-off when Marriott was trying to extract another $20k for the new program on the premise that the old one was flawed to the point where it didn't supply enough exchange opportunities (wasn't that the selling point all along?).

The good news is that there are a ton of resales out there on eBay for the taking for those that want to occupy their weeks instead of attempting to exchange. I recently purchased a deeded week at Frenchman's Cove in St Thomas for $2,500 (not a misprint). The previous owner took an 82% bath on the deal.

Marriott has always been a class act, but I sure hope they know what they are doing.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We went to the shadow ridge presentation recently in Palm Desert.  The guy, a nice guy, suggested we could  charge the amount on our Marriott visa (assuming we had a $125,000 credit limit which we don't) for more points. I think I convinced him, rather than the other way around, that the system would never work for me and a bunch of others.

What, may I ask, were they trying to sell you for $125k?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

A timeshsare, or 125,000 points to acquire time in one

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I was reluctant to reply to this thread because I'm not sure how many timeshare members are involved in MRI. But, mikiegfla is right about us being 'putoff' by Marriott with this new Marriott Vacation Club points system.

Let me put it like this: I bought timeshare in MVC because I was told that owning a timeshare 'the Marriott Way' opened up a new horizon that would allow me to travel to worldwide destinations by trading my time at my home resort to another Marriott property in Europe, Thailand, the Caribbean, etc., etc. I bought a second week just prior to this 'new' system being rolled out. Now, I can't transfer into a Marriott anywhere and can't find any in Interval other than my home resorts (Desert Springs Villas II and Shadow Ridge) or Orlando. There are sporadic exchanges available, but I better be online when they come up. Why....read on....

I went to a sales presentation this past August at Shadow Ridge. I went to this meeting extrememly well versed (I studied it inside and out) in how the 'new' system works. After the rep was unable to refute my claims that Marriott has taken 'control' over the timeshare trading possibilities by holding them for in house use...(Marriott takes the weeks given for the 'points' and holds them in house for other 'points' users before they open them up to the hotel system...NOT the Interval trading system)...he told me that the complaints by MVC timeshare owners that their home units were showing up as Getaways on Interval for LESS money than the owner was paying in maintenance fees was a catalyst in Marriott taking control over these weeks....he told me that, in the future, Marriott intends to 'move' owners to enroll in the new 'points' system because the only way a 'non-points' owner will be able to get into a Marriott exchange will be through the points system exchange. How's them apples?

Now, in addition, the discussion was that if not enrolled in the 'points' system, then the ONLY future possibilities for MVC owners will become to use your week at your home resort; trade it for points; or bank it with Interval....but with the Marriott presence at Interval drying up, don't bet on that option remaining forever.

Then...the caviat....I could BUY 3000+ more points (for $35,000), put my two 'inferior' home weeks in the points system with the new purchased points and become a....now get this... an ELITE member in the new MVC points system. When I told him I wasn't aware that the system had gone from a promise to exchange at any Marriott to a point system that values my points at far less than any other exchange inside the Marriott system (so I CAN"T exchange into another marriott without buying more than I trade) to a system that now tells me I have to spend another $35,000 to get a shot at marriott exchanges. All I can say is.....what happened to the original promise???? The original owners have been taken to the cleaners.

Oh, and don't get me started on the maintenance fees....they were about $460/yr. when I first bought. This year...$1016. Worst thing...the last four years have increased approximately 30% over that span....that's not a misprint....30%.... an average of 8% a year. This year is 7%. We got a break! I REALLY think that ANY budget should be ratified by the timeshare owners before it is implemented. Increases of this type show me that my money (and others) is being thrown away. Especially when I was at Shadow Ridge this year and the unit I occupied was impeccable!!!!!....and slated for full renovation this year...where is the management?

I'm done.....for now. Sorry for the monologue....but I'm really aggravated by what MVC has done.

TEF6187, I've been to many presentations and each one had a different story and perspective. I also come armed with information and the sales people try to convince me that I'm always wrong - when I know I'm not. Sometimes I know more than them. My new strategy is to tell them that paying out of pocket for a week through central reservations (assuming the property is available) is more economical. Even if a villa rents for $350 a night, when you subtract the maintenance fee of (average) $1100 that brings the weeks stay down to an amount which is manageable and I would have no headaches. Of course the sales people play this down and tell me I couldn't get into Aruba in December, but I don't typically vacation during the holidays season anyway.

You hit the nail on the head with maintenance fees. When I bought Desert Springs 1 I was paying $350 a year. My latest bill is 4x that now. At the time of the sale in the mid 90's I was very concerned about the fees and the sales person did say that while they do go up, it was their experience that was by $10-20 a year.

llr44116 Platinum 16 Reviews

My wife and I have been able to trade fairly easily week for week. In fact we are on a seven weeks that starts At Timber lodge in South Lake Tahoe, then on to Summit Watch in Park City Utah, Then to Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge Breckinridge, C0. These are all back to back. We then have a overnight stop in Kansas and on to Willow Ridge in Branson, Mo. From their we go visit relative in Ohio for a week. Then on to Ocean Watch, Mrytle beach, SC we leave their and check into Barony Beach, Hilton head. SC. when we leave their its onto Legends Edge in Panama City, Fl. These are also back to back weeks . except for Ocean Watch which is our home resort the rest were all through the Marriott desk at Interval International.

We have not bought any of the new destination points, but did pay the $750 to become enrolled owners who could exchange to destination points as an option.

Today 8/14/2014 we went to a presentation on the new point system. We mentioned to the rep that many legacy owners are not happy the way the destination system seems to stick deeded owners in a separate bucket. She became very defensive stating "I do not understand why when we as owners voted to go to the new destination system"  What the heck is she talking about? We own 5 weeks at three different Marriott resorts. We never received anything about voting. What we did receive was a letter talking about the exciting new destination program.

Does any Marriott legacy owners remember receiving a proxy to vote on the new destination program???. please comment

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...