This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

30 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 4:27 PM by nonnaleo RSS

All Time Worst Blunder in Business-MVC Destination Points

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Due to it's implementation, the Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points program has sparked a knee-jerk reaction from timeshare owners.  This particular comment, extracted from Marriott on the Move, Marriott's blog is as respectful and relevant as it is direct:

"Dear Mr. Marriott,
I have been a 20 plus year Marriott Timeshare owner. I have 5 weeks of ownership all bought through Marriott (including 3 separate properties in Hawaii). I have referred many, many friends to Marriott and at last count 16 have purchased Marriott Timeshares (all through Marriott). Through the years, my wife and I have been very pleased with our experience and with the integrity of Marriott in an other wise somewhat unscrupulous timeshare world.

However, I am totally upset with Marriott's new points system and I will never recommend Marriott again, unless the you and the company realize and rescind this massive error.

Like every points oriented program of competitor companies, the new Marriott program is totally flawed, and full of inequities. The arbitrary nature of assigning point values never works and virtually always results in otherwise loyal customers becoming disenchanted. If I had wanted to buy into a points oriented program, I would have purchased from one of the many other companies I considered (i.e., Hyatt, Hilton, Disney, Westin, etc.).

I have spent my entire professional career advising companies against huge business mistakes, such as this. My company conduct regular customer satisfaction surveys to assess such decisions. I seriously wonder who advised you and what research you conducted to arrive at this decision. Mark my words: IN THE NEAR FUTURE, THIS DECISION WILL BE WRITTEN UP AS ONE OF THE ALL-TIME WORST BLUNDERS IN BUSINESS. You have offended, betrayed and exploited one of your most loyal customer bases.

Even the implementation process has been flawed. First of all, I personally have not even been notified as of yet about this new program, even though many of my friends have received email and US mail notifications. Secondly, when I called the Marriott representative to have some rather basic questions answered about the new points program, he knew very little, and on multiple occasions asked for me to hold while he tried to find out the answer. For many of the questions, he said the kinks of the program still had to be worked out.

To reiterate, this program is hugely unpopular with Marriott Timeshare owners. It may or may not be too late for you to rectify the mistake. The long-term ramifications will be dramatically negative for Marriott, unless you act now." (Posted Marriott on the Move 06/30/2010 at 7:18 AM)

This MVC owner is not alone.  The scale of negative sentiment from once loyal and highly credible Marriott Vacation Club owners is absolutely staggering.   Among them are many Gold and Platinum Elite business travelers.   Major themes include disappointment, lack of transparency, dishonest and unethical business practices, misleading and deceptive sales people, fear, uncertainty, inequitable trading value, owner exploitation, loss of trust and complete breakdown of confidence in Marriott.

When will Marriott International step in and reorganize this rogue division?

For more relevant owner feedback and comments posted at Marriott on the Move, see Re: MVC Owners Not Happy with New Program.  There's a PDF of all 151  156 196 comments posted through 8/2/2010 worth sharing.  Send a 'private message' w/an e-mail address for a copy.

• Re: All Time Worst Blunder in Business-MVC Destination Points
    superchief1 Platinum

I completely agree with these comments. Marriott is alienating its most loyal customers to appease a few non-customers who have not bought into the original MVC vacation concept. This reminds me of Coke trying to appeal to Pepsi users, rather than to its most loyal consumers. Recent postings on TUG have also been discussing the fact that 'legacy' week owners will not even have access to redeem points for 'trust' weeks, but trust owners will have access to legacy weeks.

Marriott's lack of response to us (Insiders and TUG) is even more disappointing.  TJC, I fully support your efforts to try to get MVC management to come to their senses. If nothing is done soon, I will start to boycott Marriott properties after 30 years of loyalty.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

One of the major themes emerging in M-o-t-M blog is a sense of 'betrayal'.  Betrayal creates a very poor environment for referrals which helped to create and sustain a highly satisfied owner base of 400,000 in the same way that Marriott Rewards created a loyal following of guests of 32 million.  Let's hope the patriarch does respond.

Update 7/20/10:  The number of MVC owner comments posted to Marriott on the Move approaches 175.   W/o surprise there are many negative comments which would likely be censored at Insiders, but to Bill Marriott's credit, are not censored at Marriott on the Move. Among the most recent batch of MVC owner comments, this one about 'broken promises' and MVC Sales deceiving a couple w/a handicap when they purchased a timeshare at MVC Grand Chateau Las Vegas was quite disturbing, IMO:

"Dear Mr. Marriott,

I know this will prpbably not get posted, but I am compelled to write it anyway.  Several years ago we were invited to Las Vegas Marriott to go thru the presentation on your time share. Since our daughter was accepted to UNLV we thought it a good idea to purchase since we would probably spend our vacations in Vegas at the same time visiting our daughter. The presentation given to us was filled with how it would be the best way finacially to do this.

The presentation was filled with promises but very vague on other things whic h we would have to pay. The biggest disappointment was the reward points and what they could be used for.

Mr. Marriott, we sat there with the salesman, My wife in a wheelchair,being handicapped and totally disabled because of MS, and told how we could use points for a vehicle when we visit. Turned out handicap vans are not availble with points. And after a number of discussions with your people, who lacked the understanding and compassion of my wifes situation we were told "it ain't gonna happen" and it probably never will. They did offer to pay for a portion of the cost but in the future we would not receive any more help,

We also discovered after our first visit, and dicussed this with your people, that the handicap accessable rooms were all on the upper floors. This too was discussed at the presentation. My wife voiced her concernes about emergencies, a lower floor is best since she wouldn't be able to walk down stairs. A small detail for most but a big deal for a disabled person.

Now because of all our frustrations with the Marriott com. we decided to put our time share up for sale and probably lose our investment all togeather.

Please tell your sales people that the next time a handicapped person in a wheelchair comes to one of your presentation, explain what you can't do for them before all the promises." (Posted Marriott on the Move, 07/17/2010 at 10:10 AM)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mnnice Platinum

One more key point to emphasize the impact this debacle may have on Marriott is there are 2 posts from senior managers who have already canceled meetings at Marriotts!

I wonder how many more have been and will be canceled?

Maybe this will finall make Mr Marriott personally look into this and have some changes made to treat the long time loyal customers fairly!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"One more key point to emphasize the impact this debacle may have on Marriott is there are 2 posts from senior managers who have already canceled meetings at Marriotts!"

It's likely the tip of the iceberg, MNNice.

State and Legal Disclosure* list only 39 of 50 states suggesting that many owners are probably unaware.  Many if not all states require that Marriott be registered to solicit their residents.

This is peak time for vacations. Owners who opted to occupy their home resort or exchange to another Marriott resort did so a year ago and are planning/reserving for next year.  Very shortly many more owners will discover Marriott's decision to discontinue weeks-based ownership.

For years, MVCI prospected hotel guests particularly Elite business travelers staying on points.  The economy took care of that.

MVCI also relied very heavily upon owner referrals.  Many including myself referred friends and family who now own.

As in the posts referred to, pretty soon, MVC owners are likely to consider other brands as venues for business and leisure travel, events, weddings, graduations and reunions.

As one of the posters to Marriott on the Move repeatedly stated, "This is how angry I am." (Posted Marriott on the Move 07/09/2010 at 10:24 AM)

* State and Legal Disclosures

tjcnewyork Platinum

"If nothing is done soon, I will start to boycott Marriott properties after 30 years of loyalty."

Superchief,

As a new crop of comments at Marriott on the Move* make evident, you are not alone.  After patronizing Marriott hotels for business and pleasure for years, this owner is "done with Marriott":

"Mr. Marriott,
    I am writing this to express my extreme displeasure and disappointment with the new Marriott points system. I was recently at Ocean Pointe and decided, with eager anticipation, to attend the presentation to learn how Marriott was fixing the old broken system we all bought into. After hearing the details, I could not believe what I was told.

The word that comes to my mind is extortion. As a LOYAL Marriott customer, one who owns a timeshare week, uses Marriott hotels for business and pleasure for many years and has used a Marriott credit card, I am done with your company. When I purchased my timeshare and dropped a large chunk of cash, I was promised by your sales associate that I was purchasing a "lifetime of vacations" and that I was "entitled to be a guest at any of Marriott Vacation Club locations worldwide." I was told it was easy to exchange and all I had to do was "dream it and I could do it". That is why I put my hard earned cash into your system. It was a one time purchase that would lead to great vacations for the rest of my life and my kids lives and so on. After trying to "work the system" for many years, I found that some of the promises were not true, and that trying to get what we wanted, when we wanted it through Interval International was virtually impossible. So when I heard you were rolling out a fix to the system, I was eagerly anticipating finally being able to experience the fulfillment of your original promises, which I paid for.

Now, you are requiring me to pay another 10 grand, not just to avail myself to the new points system, but to keep the value of my existing timeshare week. I was told by the sales associate at Ocean Pointe that I needed to pay the money to buy the points because if I did not, I would be sitting at the "back of the bus." By purchasing points, I "would not be a second class citizen, and would now be at the front of the bus." I was speechless.
    This post does not adequately express the venom that I have, but I can assure you that you will never get more of my money and I will sell my timeshare week as soon as possible. Treating your valued existing customers like this, and not "grandfathering" us in like you should have, is just a way for your company to extort a large amount of cash from a captive audience. I sincerely hope that the vast majority of owners opt out of this new program and that it fails. Thanks for creating another convoluted, hard to use system that benefits 5% of owners. As I see it, the only owners who would purchase more points are either those who have deep pockets and don't mind lining yours and those who are just too stupid to know that they are.

From the back of the bus,"

Heads up, Andrew.  As a multiple-week MVC owner, I have attended about 45 to 50 sales preview tours and know several Marriott Vacation Club Sales associates on a first name basis.  Thoughout my experience, Sales have been most cordial.  Never did I feel bullied into making a purchase and certainly would never describe the experience as "extortion".   It's my hunch that there is a potentially a training gap at Ocean Pointe that merits scrutiny.

* Providing Our Timeshare Owners with More Flexibility, Marriott on the Move

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Despite the circumstances, it's good to see you back, TJC!

ProfChiara

• Re: All Time Worst Blunder in Business-MVC Destination Point
    lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

THank you for this post.  We too, are owners and were not notified.  I wholeheartedly agree with this post and the letter quoted.  If we would have wanted a points system, we would have gone elsewhere. VERY disappointing.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"If we would have wanted a points system, we would have gone elsewhere. VERY disappointing."

Exactly!   The number of comments at Marriott on the Move, Bill Marriott's blog recently crossed the 200 milestone.  As the innuendo grows, here are a few of the comments that speak volumes:

" the program seems a bit "Ponzi-esque" in nature and we believe this will create difficulties in reserving time at premium resorts - much like the hassle experienced when attempting to use frequent flyer miles."

Posted 08/14/2010 at 08:53 PM, Marriott on the Move

"we are not interested in paying $695 for nothing, do not want our platinum ocean front unit to not be available to us and feel like you are selling "points" in already sold units.  Was Bernie Madoff a part of your managment team?"

Posted  08/14/2010 at 05:54 PM, Marriott on the Move

"As loyal Marriott customers, we are left with a less than favorable feeling about Marriott - and are now considering selling ALL our weeks. so much for stress-free vacations!"

Posted 08/12/2010 at 07:34 AM, Marriott on the Move

We were going to sign up for the points program. I found a significant error in the Exchange Procedures paperwork, requiring our signature. NO ONE at Marriott cares to pay attention to what could be a problem for Marriott. All I got was "It's not my job". Very disappointing to get that attitude from a Marriott employee. We will not sign legal paperwork containing errors.

As I read the "fine print" in the document I began to realize that Marriott can do anything they want to the perceived value of our timeshare units. We would basically be giving up what we know we have for a "hope" of getting an equally good accomodation. WHY WOULD WE DO THAT...and pay Marriott $695 to do it?

it seems that to sign up for the points system will erode our vacation options not enhance them.

You say the points system is a result of customer input - what input? We were never surveyed.

As of now, we would not be inclined to recommend Marriott to anyone! (A huge change for us as we have always recommended Marriott to others).

Posted  08/12/2010 at 07:28 AM, Marriott on the Move

Added 8/21: "I no longer trust Marriott or the company's assurances that my investment will be protected in the future. I fear that this new system will not enhance the Marriott experience for me or for thousands of owners."

Posted  08/08/2010 at 10:51 AM, Marriott on the Move

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Despite the circumstances, it's good to see you back"

Thanks Professor Chiara and congratulations again on being named ambassador.   As in the White House, the President's Administration and in any kind of business, the first 100 days involve a transition. It's quite evident that you are on your way; and great to see that you're making a rapid and smooth transition.

Since you raised the point about decline of activity in the Business Forum, it made sense to do a refresh on a topic that many are passionate about.  'Business' is less about a transaction, than it is about engaging in relationship.

To a very large extent, Marriott is in the business of creating the environment where business relationships can be established and flourish.  That's the business of hosting travelers for conventions, trade shows, meetings and events.  Marriott focused on delivering upon expectations and thereby engaged millions of travelers who became loyal to the brand.

Building upon a sense of confidence, integrity and trust in the Marriott brand, about 400,000 of these took the relationship further and became Marriott Vacation Club owners.  I am one of them and in very good company.

Marriott launched the Vacation Club Destination Points program on June 20th, Fathers Day. In the blink of an eye, Marriott seemingly alienated scores of owners and their families. Sadly, more than 100+ days has elapsed and owners are still waiting for news of a positive transition. While some have opted to sell at distressed prices, others remain uncertain and discuss options.

As Insiders ponder the question, "What is business?" let's hope there are steps to restore the confidence and trust that is so essential to relationship?

cruiser292 Gold

Have you tried the point system yet?  It works for those of us who find 7 days too much.  You can continue to reserve your week or weeks as you normally do now but if you enroll in the destination point system you have more flexiility.  It is a flexible tools for people that would like to cruise or visit other destinations beside the MVCI resorts and you have the option to stay  for 1 day, 2 days etc up to 7 days.  You are not losing what you already have, you are gaining additional choices.

I see that many people have looked at your remarks.....how many comments?   Marriott will survive, this is another great enhancement to their program. 

You've got nothing to lose but more choices to gain with Marriott Destination Program.

jdubroller Platinum

Are you serious?  I own a week that I can reserve EVERY year without question.  A 'points' owner would need 3500 points to reserve the week I own, HOWEVER, if I convert to points I am only given 3150, therefore, I cannot reserve an otherwise EQUAL week and an equivalent resort unless I purchase additional, ridiculously expensive points, or decide to only vacation on odd years.  I am in complete agreement with anyone who feels fans of this system can already afford any vacation they wanted anyway, and didn't need timeshare ownership in the first place.  MVCI has collapsed in all of the areas that convinced me to purchase in the first place.

superchief1 Platinum

Although I was very angry with the implementation of the Destination points program and experienced several major problems during the first year, I think it has improved after MVC's spinoff from Marriott. There have been recent modification to the program that make it easier to use legacy points. As a multiple week owner, I qualify for Premier Plus status and appreciate the flexibility for shorter stays in smaller units. Although I prefered the old ownership and will never recommend or buy more trust points, we have used the new system to our benefit. Since our daughters are now adults and often don't travel with us, we have the flexibility to travel in off season and benefit from reserving 1BR vs 2BR (for fewer points). Therefore, we are less impacted by the 'skim'. We really haven't experienced any problem in using our traditional weeks, but have heard that others have had problems in some popular resorts.

For those interested in getting the most value from the new program, I suggest visiting the Timeshare User Group forum. I learned about several benefits that I was unaware of, and they aren't clearly communicated by MVC.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Tjc ... it is interesting to see this post resurrected and to read your updated view.  We also joined the points program last year and have found it to be a bonus. OK, I agree about the 'skim' but previously we often found ourselves having to trade a Platinum week for a Silver week through Interval and pay a fee for the lower cost week!  This year we have been able to use VC points to gain a much better deal.  It seems to be working for us ... but I would still like to see it operating for a couple of years before giving the thumbs up.  The only issue that I have is that we don't seem to be able to use VC points for European or Asian MVC properties ... but perhaps that has changed ... I need to check.

superchief1 Platinum

I noticed that the European resorts have been added to the DC program, but have not yet checked the details. We still have plenty of places to visit in the US, and I prefer to avoid the hastles (and high FF miles) of international travel except for my business trips.

Thanks for that info.  I'll have to check if the Asia resorts have now been included too.  We are planning a round the world trip for next year and would like to spend some time in Phuket ... if we could do it for a part week stay using DPs, that will be better than swapping a week directly.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Can you elaborate on what those benefits are that you learned about?

superchief1 Platinum

These benefits are available to Marriott Vacationclub owners who enroll in the Destination Points program. The MVC timeshare weeks can be converted to DC points, which can then be used for reservations at other MVC resorts or to purchase other travel packages (not very attractive deals).

j-wiese Platinum

We join our fellow travellers who find the new MVCI DESTINATION POINTS PROGRAM to be a mixed bag....We own a 2 Bedroom  lock-out unit @ Grande Vista in Orlando ---- which we exchange every year for 2 weeks somewhere (some times at Grande Vista ---- our point value was only about 2200 points which would get us about 5 days using the point system -- but we joined to see what would happen and received 800 points for joining....for 1 year we tried to use the 800 point incentive to add days or get a 3-5 day stay only to find that (1) space was never available when we needed it in spite of promises of priority....PLEASE NOTE RESORT HAD SPACE AVAILABLE FOR AN EXCHANGE OR FOR NIGHTLY PURCHASE THRU MARRIOTT, but NOT FOR POINT USAGE....

So we asked for a refund of our joining fee and first years membership ($760.00 total) and after a drawn out exchange of emails, we received a check and have returned to our practice of booking full weeks thru exchanges......which works great for 2 old gassers who like to stretch out and enjoy our vacations.......just got back from week in Breckinridge, Co at a NEW non-Marriott timeshare that was fantastic as were 16 days of touring Colorado...

We think the DESTINATIONS PROGRAM is for the select group who want a lot of flexibility.....the points given per unit is ridiculous and made the program wrong for us.....and after seeing it work from the inside, and trying to work it ......would not join now....

GOD BLESS               JIM

nzg0610 Gold

In response to this blog comment, I totally agree

I have been a 20 plus year Marriott Timeshare owner. I have 5 weeks of ownership all bought through Marriott (including 3 separate properties in Hawaii). I have referred many, many friends to Marriott and at last count 16 have purchased Marriott Timeshares (all through Marriott). Through the years, my wife and I have been very pleased with our experience and with the integrity of Marriott in an other wise somewhat unscrupulous timeshare world.

However, I am totally upset with Marriott's new points system and I will never recommend Marriott again, unless the you and the company realize and rescind this massive error.

Like every points oriented program of competitor companies, the new Marriott program is totally flawed, and full of inequities. The arbitrary nature of assigning point values never works and virtually always results in otherwise loyal customers becoming disenchanted. If I had wanted to buy into a points oriented program, I would have purchased from one of the many other companies I considered (i.e., Hyatt, Hilton, Disney, Westin, etc.).

I have spent my entire professional career advising companies against huge business mistakes, such as this. My company conduct regular customer satisfaction surveys to assess such decisions. I seriously wonder who advised you and what research you conducted to arrive at this decision. Mark my words: IN THE NEAR FUTURE, THIS DECISION WILL BE WRITTEN UP AS ONE OF THE ALL-TIME WORST BLUNDERS IN BUSINESS. You have offended, betrayed and exploited one of your most loyal customer bases.

I have been a Marriott Timeshare owner for 12 years.  I own two platinum Marriott weeks, and I own two other weeks with other companies. I love my Marriott weeks and Interval and really dread switching my other two weeks through RCI.

Imagine my surprise when I exchanged my Platinum week for a week at the Grande Vista Orlando (I am very happy with the room), and was invited to a presentation where I was told:

- I have two great weeks and deserve to get a better room than I got here through Interval

- In the future I will not be able to trade my weeks for any decent hotels through interval if I don't give up my two platinum weeks. Marriott will "give" me 8,750 points and I need to purchase an additional 5,000 points at $11+ per point to upgrade to Platinum Plus so I can get good weeks anywhere around the world (I later found out a good week in points = 6 days). So basically give my two platinum weeks back to Marriott, pay ~$48,000+, increase my maintenance fees to $2,500 per year and pay an additional $2,300 entry fee (??) to get into this "Much better Program".

I was also told Interval will only be getting worthless Marriott inventory going forward, for example (the sales ladys example, not mine) a Missouri property in off season worth 600 points, as all the timeshare owners with the good weeks are doing the points program now.

When I said no to all this, the sales lady basically told me I was insane and that someone from Encore would come over to get a $100 deposit and then I need to pay $100 per month for two years so I can get 1,500 points in two years time. Again I said no. 

So here is the best part.... I was promised $125 in Marriott $$$ and $10 discount off each Theme Park ticket I purchased through them if I went to the presentation.  They refused to give me the $10 off each Theme Park ticket I wanted to purchase after the presentation.

I also have one last question..... I pay $1,900 maintenance fees per year for my two Platinum weeks.  Why are the unit's not maintained??? I was told that I could get housekeeping to come and make the beds and clean the room for $108 PER DAY for this stay.

I have been so loyal to Marriott and always stay at Marriott's on business, usually not through timeshare but through simply paying for the room. In 2009 I paid for 212 nights at Marriott's nationwide.  Why do I suddenly not feel like a valued customer???

Hi nzg ... it is interesting to see this post being resurrected again. 

Previously, there seemed to be a bit of a mixed bag of views.  Unlike yourself, we seem to have done quite well out of it.  We have been MVCI owners for only 5 years and own 3 weeks across two USA resorts.  Despite some spectacular increases in maintenance fees (18% in one year!) we have been very happy with our purchases.  We joined the Destination Points programme at an early stage and the fees were quite low.  (I'd have to check back for exact figs.)  As I stated in my earlier posting, it used to annoy me having to give up a Platinum week for a Silver week just because we chose to travel outside of our allocated period. 

Since joining the DPs, we have done much better.  Last year, we were able to exchange our 3 weeks (2 bed units) for DPs and use the DPs to obtain two and a half weeks in Hawaii and a week in California in peak season with some points left over for a week in Williamsburg later in the year.  We could only achieve this due to the fact that we only needed a one bed unit in some of the locations.  We never achieved this through our dealings with Interval.  (We were occasionally given a bonus week but it was hard to get a decent exchange.)  I don't understand why you would need to upgrade to Platinum Plus ... we've never had problems in getting the weeks that we want and we are only Platinum.  I think that that sale lady needs a good talking to by the MVCI management!

wasmarriottfan Member

only platinum is not a fair presentation- you are already on a higher tier. you also point out the fees increased, a LOT!

I am also surprised you managed to trade those, I am assuming your weeks, being platinum are worth a lot.

If you look at the points conversion, you will notice that after giving up your week, your points are not even enough to buy the same weeks back, by a lot! So you can only, and always trade down, never up. Not even "sideways". And if you trade down every year, you still don't get to trade up later. It went from a beautiful system to a very lousy one.

sales people and other customer service also seem to know very little of what is happening - you simply cannot trade week for week anymore, which I was previously told it would remain working. Add your deeded membership costs, the points fee, your losses for trading down, and the headaches, plus the ever increasing fees - you would be better off purchasing vacations. It is just not worth it anymore.

elavid Silver

We have owned weeks at two Florida Marriott timeshares and have been perfectly happy with them for the many years we've been owners.

Except for the always rising Maintenance Fees (now nearly double what they were when we first bought),  we have gotten the units we've requested 98% of the time.

What we don't like is the move from deeded weeks to points.  And even worse, we don't like the demand (latest "sales" attempt) that we spend ANOTHER $12,000 to buy points to go exactly where we are going at present, since we have no desire any longer to do exchanges outside Florida, where we live.

It didn't take us long to figure out that the points system was purely a money maker for Marriott and of questionable value to owners.

Marriott will not have to build any more resorts and can simply sell an endless number of $$$ points to owners who don't realize that the demand for time at a resort of their choosing will grow exponentially and their chances of getting what they want will grow smaller as more people try to stay at favorite resorts, checking in and out at odd times within a week.  Paying an additional $175 fee to Marriott yearly also makes no sense to those of us who simply want to visit our deeded timeshares during our season.  We feel that 5 years of Interval International, even with additional fees when we want to lock-off, is still cheaper than the aggregate of $12,000 plus $175 per year to be part of the point system.  And, if Marriott were to go broke, only those of us with actual deeded ownership in properties would ever have a chance at recouping any of our investment. Trying to recoup what one has spent for  "points" during bankruptcy is like trying to recoup "air" rights, since there is nothing substantive to attach.

We are very disappointed that Marriott has betrayed longtime deeded owners with this new plan of theirs to make more money.  We probably wouldn't see it as much of an advantage even if the conversion was free.  To have to pay for something worse adds insult to injury!

When we bought years ago, we were told we could trade into any Marriott property.  Now we are told that without paying a minimum of $12,000 and giving up our deeded ownership, we won't be able to go anywhere except current, deeded owned properties.

Shame on Marriott for trying to pull one over on owners and mostly succeeding.

wasmarriottfan Member

I will not bother you with details, but I agree with all of the above. I quickly went from a big fan and happy customer to a very unhappy customer. I can no longer make proper trades, I am largely stuck with my property, and nobody, by phone or email can provide decent answers. Every time I try, I spend hours on the phone and email, and nobody knows anything, nobody can help.

Right now, the company is collecting huge benefits from this change. They will likely pay for it in the long run. The growing number of unhappy customers will only spread, and with it, the once untouchable Marriott name will keep going downhill. At some point in the not so distant future they will look back on this decision and regret the many customers and millions of dollars lost in the process, despite initial gains.

It is very sad that our dream vacations turned into a horrible nightmare and only headaches, and they simply do not seem to care.

Just like everybody else on this thread,and multiple others being seen and read by multiple people across the internet, we went from happy customers and frequently referring other people to Marriott ventures to someone suggesting other hotel chains.

nothappy Gold

I also agree. We have an timeshare in Aruba. We are extremely disappointed with this new approach and the high pressure sales attempt to change and pay big $$$ to do so. Our timeshare in Aruba was not cheap and at our sales presentation we were told we would have to pay over $30,000 for the Destination Points Program. The DP does sound like a great plan, but why do we have to pay that kind of money? Current owners should not be forced to DP to use their weeks outside of their home resort.

Shame on Marriott!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

My perspective on the program has somewhat changed recently. Now that my wife and I are finally empty nester's and don't have to travel during the school winter break or summer school vacation, we are seeing a lot of exchange opportunities and availability in the Destination's Club that we never noticed before because we were so highly restrictive on when we could travel.

The reason I would not buy points now is because looking at the list of Marriott properties, there aren't many that appeal to us. We don't ski, so winter trips to the mountains don't pique our interest, and we don't  have a desire to go to Branson, Williamsburg, Orlando and a half dozen other properties. That doesn't leave much, just Hawaii which costs a fortune to fly to from the east coast, and the Caribbean, where we already own a week in St. Thomas.

Just my two cents.

nyer Silver

We have been multple week owners for over 10 years and have always deposited and requested through Interval.  It has always worked wonderfully for us as we have been flexible with dates and Marriott properties. We have been to 12 different properties, several multiple times.   My family has loved the vacations and Marriott properties.  I joined the Destinations Points program begrudgingly 2 years ago and was concerned from the beginnning.  My worst fears are now being realized.  Inventory availability seems to be non-existent.  My requests are not being filled, even with a 6 month advance notice.  Even my owned weeks point value will not get me a full week where I have been in the past.  EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTING.  I have recommended friends to Marriott who have bought in.  I can no longer recommend it.  I agree with the previous posts about betrayal and extortion and greed.  I just am not sure if Marriott vacations will work for us in the future.  AND on top of that, I pay extremely high maintenance fees.   

tipeknu Silver

Ok, I need some clarity here from some of you.  I've been a MVC owner since 2007 via the Aruba Surf Club property, and loyal Marriott guest.  Last couple of years, I've been on auto-pilot with the MVC ownership, either using it in Aruba personally, letting my kids use it, or simply trading it in blindly for good old fashion Marriott reward points.  For the spring of '14, my wife and thought it would be a nice to change things up and head to a different MVC property, and doing so under the promise that we had a purchased a life-time of ownership, and could use the "enhanced" value associated with Aruba, to trade for virtually any other MVC property, save perhaps MVC in Hawaii or Thailand.   In part because I was becoming increasing pissed off at the escalating maintenance fees (it's getting to the point where it would be cheaper to just rent a place, than have ownership), I ignored the constant drum-beating from Marriott trying to sell me something incremental ala the Destination Clubs pitch.  Now I'm finding, I think, that Marriott has completely betrayed the trust, and I can't just swap my Aruba timeshare for another MVC property?  Am I'm loosing my mind, wasn't that the terms of the original sale?  And now, I have to spend thousands of dollars extra for the right to do that (plus yet another annual fee for THAT!?).  WTF!?  Do I have this correct?  Can someone enlighten me?

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

As long as you maintained your Interval membership, you can deposit your week in Interval & trade for another week somewhere else.  That has not changed.  You need to book a week @ Surf Club as you normally do, then deposit into Interval, then make your request, then be patient while you wait for something to open up.  In your request, it is best to be flexible & ask for 2-3 weeks span as well as 2-3 resorts.  Good luck!

taurusuk Platinum

I joined this programme yesterday after a long deliberation, i own a whole season within marriott which is basically 6 months of the year. i think in all honesty it could work pretty well for me but reading about all the problems above im having second thoughts. it does look to me though that it seems easier to get to a marriott property which is where i want to be i found it very very hard to get a marriott property on ii. I do also think that the points given to you in exchange for your unit is debateable i have elected most of my weeks next year apart from 10 and i only got 27k of points.

nonnaleo Platinum

My husband and I have been loyal Marriott owners for years. Believing in Marriott as we have, we bought into the Destinations Program a year ago last March. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE! Here's how it's working for us so far: we accumulate 2000 points per year so we now have 4000 points. We can borrow the points from next year, giving us 6000 points total. We were planning to use them for the Costa Rica trip - oh, but whoops! The points needed for this trip (one of the lowest point trips offered) just went up to 7500 points - again out of reach. Since our points will begin to EXPIRE next year, there is no way we can possibly accumulate enough to actually travel! I've always appreciated Marriott's integrity and value for the dollar, but I have to say, this feels a lot like a scam. We've invested $24,000 in this program plus $2000 so far in maintenance fees and have absolutely nothing to show for it, except for the prospect of continuing to pay maintenance fees. We want out of this program.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...