18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 1:01 PM by pingreeman RSS

Missing Stay Request Annoyance

chazdawg Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Is it just me...or does the process in which we have to request missing stays be creditted to our accounts annoy you?

I recently checked out of a Courtyard hotel, that I've stayed in multiple times mind you, and decided to stay an extra night in that location.  I created a new reservation and checked in later that day.  Recently the points and credit for the second night posted, but not the first.  How does this happen, exactly?  My number was on both reservations...so it seems quite odd.  So now I have to fax in my request to get my first night credited.  Why?  Seriously...in the age of the internet why can't I just email it in?  Even better...why do I have to do anything but call the number (I'll accept that it's not a toll free number...that's another rant) and they manually credit it immedietly. Why don't they have access to previous reservations and have the ability to credit my points while I'm on the phone with them?

I'm finding more and more lately that I'm having missing stays and having to fax in these requests.  On two seperate occassions they've gone ignored.  I've called back weeks later asking why the delay and I've been asked "Did you put it to someone's attention?"  Why would I do that?  Now I need to call the number...talk to a person who can't help me without a reciept...then fax in the reciept to their attention?  After my last experience I spoke to a nice gentlemen that said to fax it to his attention and he'd take care of it and as a bonus for my inconvenience he'd credit my account 2000 points.  Well, neither the credit nor the bonus ever posted.  I had to call again...get another rep to give me their name...and fax it in again.  I did get my stay credit, but that magical 2000 points have been lost to the God of empty promises.

It's surprising to me that Platinum Premier (as I am)...Platinum...and even Gold...have to jump through such hoops to get credit for stays that should post.  I've NEVER not had my number in my reservation...but they do seem to lose a lot of my stays.

ChazDawg

• Re: Missing Stay Request Annoyance
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Perhaps it's an oversight, are you signed up for efolio?  When my efolio fails to arrive, follow-up is on the horizon.  Happened twice in December 2009 at the same property. 

Both times the balance was paid using a combination of Visa and Marriott Cheques.  Chalk it up to miscoding by the FD prompting a call to the new GM who promised bonus points for the inconvenience.  (Because of the Marriott cheques, the FD entered a Marriott Associate code negating points).  Since the GM was undergoing system training, there was a week delay w/the bonus points but the stay reflected correctly w/in 24 hours of reporting.

Since the incident was repeated at the same property, the suspicion is that staff turnover combined with training gaps are among the major culprits.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had that problem at a courtyard outside of Chicago a number of times.  Stays on either side of the missing week post from the same property and my efolio shows up so I know my # is part of the reservation.  I've had to speak with the front desk on several occassions to get my stays credited to my account.  I finally had to speak with the hotel manager, point out the 5stays (0f 12) that I had issues with.  She was appolgetic but I said I appreciate it but the next time it happens I will be staying at another property as it is a waste of my time to have to constatnly remind her staff of their jobs.   It hasnt happend to me since :)

The process for us to get credits is rediculous.  I now have to find a fax machine to get my credit?  I mean I guess I can stop by Kinkos or something but tracking down a fax machine is so 1980s, why can't they just use a scanned copy of the receipt or simply the efolio sent via email?  Anywho, you are not alone, the process stinks and man hotels seem to have issues with getting credits assigned in a timely manner.  This does impact promotions so its fairly important that things post on time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

james30 Platinum

I had this happen recently and the Marriott Rewards line was able to take care of it.  I just called my usual 800 number; they transferred me to MR and MR was able to find record of the stay.  The nights were posted on my account within 24 hours.  This was the first time I had to ask for the credit and I was expecting, like you, to search for a fax machine.  But, again, I was pleasantly surprised when they found the record.  I do have e-portfolio so could have emailed it to them as well if necessary.  I don't know if e-portfolio makes a difference in their ability to find the record; I plan to ask next time I speak to them.

chazdawg Platinum

There doesn't seem to be a reasonable explaination for this one.  I got an efolio for both the first night and second.  The second posted and the first didn't.  Same method of payment for both...one of my Marriott Visa cards...no coupons, certs or cheques...

No rhyme or reason as to why day 1 wouldn't post, but day 2 does.  I honestly can handle having to deal with a missing stay here and there...it's the fact I have to fax.  I've never had luck with a M.R. rep telling me I can email them my folio or them looking it up in the system.  In fact, when I asked to email the bill I was told they don't have individual email accounts they can utilize (which I really thought was odd).

ChazDawg

james30 Platinum

Very strange.  If it happens again, I'd just ask MR why they are able to access the stays while on the phone for some Platinums but not all.  It is absurd in this day and age to be faxing.  It was just last week that I called and had two stays added. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TJC -- you wrote:  Perhaps it's an oversight, are you signed up for efolio?

I've asked this before, but must've missed the answer -- what's the advantage to the efolio?  I keep my paper receipt until I know my points are posted (and use it as required if they're not), and my credit bill is correct.  Other than being compared to the 80's, which I personally thought were great, what am I missing about the efolio? Thanks for your response.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"what's the advantage to the efolio?  I keep my paper receipt until I know my points are posted (and use it as required if they're not), and my credit bill is correct."

NUHusker

For me there are 2 key advantages:

• Audit trail
    • Electronic record keeping

The 3rd is really preference, which is instant notification via BlackBerry reminding me to check my Account balance.    

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/carousel_mobile.gif

vermonter Platinum 4 Reviews

You can email your efolio or scanned copy of your receipt to:

stay.add@marriott.com

Be sure to include your Marriott Rewards number in the body of your email message.

Cheers!

John

istaytoomuch Platinum

As another Platinum Premier, I agree. The "did you send it to someone's attention" thing is rather bizarre. How would we know a name without calling, and then why can't they fix it on the call?

I have had better luck emailing the receipt to

stay.add@marriott.com

I just sent one this morning and we will see how that goes.

Update: No response to email. I had to call this morning to get it done. Once again, the "PLatinum Premier" desk had to transfer me to the regular queue at Rewards. They say they have fixed it, I will see tomorrow.

-- Edited by istaytoomuch at 03/08/2010 10:09 AM CST

kahunapremier Platinum

Never had an issue like this in all my years staying at Marriott. Pretty confident that "one call does it all" and that call would be to the Platinum Premier line.

Sorry to hear this experience, but you are right, "management" of this issue needs to be cleaned up and automated. I do like Hilton's solution of past stays-you can get it in a PDF format directly from Hilton portal after you authenticate.

Marriott needs to streamline that process-which is very doable, depends how "high" on the IT list this feature sits. It took a good while to bring Rollover and Instant redemption features to marriott.com, but this shouldn't be that difficult.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks, TJC.  Can you still get a paper copy too, or is it one or the other?  I like the idea of getting a blackberry notification also.  Is your points balance pretty well updated at the time you receive the efolio?

captjim Platinum 2 Reviews

Understand the frustration. Now I get an eddress from sales, the front desk or the lounge. I deal direct if there's a problem. The Marriott managed properties are the worst; the company stores usually get it right the first time. Cheers, jP

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Is your points balance pretty well updated at the time you receive the efolio?"

NuHusker - Never fails.  Regards hardcopy - I usually swing by the FD to transfer the balance to a different CC and request a receipt.

jndcoff Platinum

there is a way to handle these electronically, rather than faxing copies of paperwork.  If you go through the contact us link on the main site, there is a reason code for missing stay request.  I've always used this and gotten credits very expediently.

On the bigger subject of why this happends, it's the manager of the site that processes the folios and pushes them to Marriott Rewards.  If you notice, there is a higher chance of missing stays when the folio is not a standard on-line reservation and published rate.  If the rates are group oriented with a master reservation/ block the folios typically get handled by the manager and they can take quite a while.  I've had instances where the manager lets their work slide for a week then went on vacation without wrapping up the folios.  They eventually show up or have errors such as what you experienced. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"there is a higher chance of missing stays when the folio is not a standard on-line reservation and published rate"

Thanks, that explains it.  Throughout last year, e-folios arrived w/in 48 hours.  Then, in December e-folio missed a beat 2x.  Both were negotiated rates directly with the hotel.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This is as annoying as those soap packages at Springhill Suites, the ones that defy all strength to open!

But seriously I imagine that the answer is that it is impossible to be 100% perfect given the magnitude of the stays recorded worldwide.

I too find that some types of hotels will "forget" to post the nights and consider it my need to be diligent on these things.

The Platinum Premier Marriott Rewards folks are always willing to help, and it gives me a chance to chat with them while they fix the problem of a missing stay.

fitzit Platinum

This is a constant hassle for me. I often stay under a Friends and Family rate. The value of which should negate my even worring about credit. But last year I missed platinum by 6 nights, and I know I had them and just didn't get credit. So I have become somewhat obsessed this year.

A paid night, is a paid night, and should always be credited. Only if the night is at an associate rate is there no credit/no points. Yet it seems that a location manager can just decide not to give credit for the stay. I have called repeatedly and always recieve credit for the nights from MR.

It really is a policy training issue. Twice this year I have had FD tell me that because I was checking in on F&F they would not extend me my Gold Benefits. Not cool when snow bound in Indi @$15 a day for internet. Both times a call to MR set the FD straight.

And forget it if its Ritz Carlton, I didn't even get a reply when I both faxed and emailed the missing stay request. I will not stay @RC again.

In the last 7 days I stayed 1 night Altanta Marque, 3 nights NOLA Convention Center, and 1 night Jackson Marriot. All three hotels FD had a different idea of what I had coming.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I sent a missing stay request to stay.add@marriott.com and the credit was received in three days. Fortunately, I had the folios, so I scanned and attached them to the e-mail along with a scanned image of the missing stay request printout. Never did receive the e-folios via e-mail. Must be related.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...