11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 11:28 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Reward points for airline miles-bad idea?

lightshine Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I'm new to the world of timeshares, exchanging time for points, etc.  Recently, we decided to deposit our week in exchange for points, with the intention of then using the points for airline miles to get tickets to a destination.  We discovered that for 90,000 points, we can only get ONE airline ticket to the Carribean!! I can't believe this!!! I thought those points were worth more than that! I need suggestions...can you exchange the points for gift cards? THANKS!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reward points for airline miles-bad idea?
    retired Platinum

Never exchange points for air fare miles. Do exchange points for the travel packages. For 250,000 points you can get 120,000 air miles, a five night hotel stay (cat 6 hotel) and a rental car discount coupon. For 300,000 points you can get the travel package for seven nights hotel stay, 120,000 air miles, plus car rental discount. This is the best way to pick up air miles when using points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lesliepamel Platinum

Yeh! Gift cards, that's about all they are worth. Sorry to be the guy that advises you too late, but if I may explain Rewards for timeshare - the way I  see it.

You can use 90,000 points for 3 nights in a cat 6 hotel.( If you could get 30,000 more points then you could get 4nights in that hotel, plus a bonus night. So if you use your points for 3 nights - that's not necessarily good value, however you are losing out on the opportunity to get - not good - but  better value, by staying 5 nights for 120K. You get no bonus credit carried-over towards a bonus night to be taken at a later date!

3 nights in say the Grand Lakes at MCO are worth  $960. The rental on your timeshare could be about $2200. So you lose $1240!

I reside in the UK. If I choose to fly transatlantic using points (Which I no longer ever do) I need 120,000 points. The administration charge for me to get these points from Marriott is $139. So if my flight sells for circa $ 812, then the cost to me is 812 - 139 = $673. Flying from the UK I have to pay cash for taxes and security charges etc. these amount to circa $330, so the value remaining in my Rewards award is 673 -330 = $343. So I would lose $1857 on that deal.

I believe that you have to examine the rental value of your timeshare for comparisons as this represents the capital invested plus the annual maintenance. You can get this figure from either Marriott.com or Vacation club.com, and entering the dates of your proposed week. 

I remember way back circa 1986 when points were excellent value. Marriott always pushed the 'hook'of points to sell timeshare, in fact that was the reason that I made my purchase. I now feel that Marriott has gouged me out! They should not now be selling timeshare with the points connection. That is a straight fraudulent transaction. Travel the world with points...don't make me laugh!!

I can only say to timeshare owners reading this message  THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE TRADING YOUR APARTMENT FOR POINTS - CHECK THE VALUE OF YOUR DEAL against timeshare rental value and the costs involved.

Finally, MVCI states that they have to pay to Marriott Rewards $12.50 for 1000 points, so in theory your 90,000 cost MVCI $1125.00. Yet Marriott hotels would give-away 90,000 points to a guest spending $9,000, or $4,500 if the customer was a platinum Rewards member. there is something seriously out of balance there. Perhaps Marriott International is not a fully integrated company.

I would like to know how much credit card companies pay Marriott for Rewards that they give to their cardholders as a reward for their business. Also one must consider that MVCI offers timeshare sales prospects between 10,000 and  20,000 points for attending a timeshare presentation. Lets say 15,000...On MVCI's own figures that would cost them $187.50 ...I don't think they would really consider that! So there are cheap points and there are expensive points. It's the 400,000 MVCI owners that get the expensive ones.

So please MVCI get the company sorted out and return value to those 400,000 people who invested shed loads of money with you, trusting you to return to them years of wonderful vacations. In my opinion the 110K points for timeshare must be raised to a figure between 330K - 440 K or you will risk the timeshare section of your company becoming very troublesome, and ruining your previously good, and well respected family name.

"Timeshare as good as our name" Do you remember that promo?   

Please Marriott, have an accountant look at my figures, and tell me if I am right or wrong?

lesliepamel Platinum

Retired, ( I hope you are enjoying it !) Yes the TP's are good if you are a regular customer collecting points. However if you are a timeshare owner trading for points, it adds up to a lousy deal.

300k points means  3 weeks of timeshare to be traded.

timeshare rents at $2222 x 3 =                   $6666

admin costs to obtain points from MVCI          $417

7 nights at a cat 6                                       $2200 

airflights(after paying cash for tax and security1656

points underspend - loss of  value  2393     

retired Platinum

I agree that trading a timeshare for points isn't the best value. I would never buy a timeshare  just to trade for points. As I see it staying at your timeshare or trading it into II is the best value. Trading for points is a option that a owner can use if they feel they will not use, trade or rent out thier property for the following year.

Right again about ponts for a travel packages, you need to supplement your points earned with hotel stays etc. I know that air miles is always a issue for me and I like to trade points for the Cat. 5 travel package for five nights. It comes out to 235,000 points and gives me 120,000 air miles. With my free cat 5 hotel stay from my credit card (black card) then I have six nights available. It works out great for trips to Chicago, D.C. etc.

I enjoy my timeshare but again its not cost effective to trade for points.

I'm heading to London 3/9/10 and will travel to Paris the following week. I'm planning on taking the train from London to Paris any idea how soon I should purchase train tickets and where can I get them? First time to Europe.

Thanks Retired

tjcnewyork Platinum

Lightshine:

Following up on Retired's excellent comments, these schedules may assist.  For more discussion, see: Vacation Ownership & Travel Package Rewards Needs A Home

5-NIGHT TRAVEL PACKAGES for Marriott Vacation Club Owners

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-assets/d491fa4dc38644bb8a5419593c20f26e

7-NIGHT TRAVEL PACKAGES for Marriott Vacation Club Owners

http://www.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/LRA%20Images/LRA_FAQ_TravelPackages.gif

lesliepamel Platinum

Retired, I recommend that you take alook at www.Eurostar.com This train frequently departs Londons St Pancras rail station to Gar du Nord station in Paris. have a great time!

lesliepamel Platinum

Retired, you said "Trading for points is a option that a owner can use if they feel they will not use, trade or rent out thier property for the following year."

Whilst you are correct in what you say, I still believe that such action will give poor value - but then if it's the only option...I guess it's 'Hobson's Choice.'

The shame that I am piling onto Marriott's shoulders at this moment in their timeshare history, is that from 1986 for many years the primary attraction for owners was to exchange for Marriott Reward points. An owner could trade their 7 nights in a well appointed timeshare apartment, for 7 nights in a standard hotel room. This might not initiately seem a good deal, but there was added to the award for that trade some seriously good add-ons that made the trade worthwhile.

Over the years I was tempted to increase my stock in MVCI just to use the added ownership for points collection. I now have 10 weeks, and all that I can use them for is to vacation in the home resort, or exchange to a MVCI resort - which only exist in a few locations, as they have placed many timeshares at ONE location - That is not what I was promised when the sales staff were recommending me to buy time, originally, or later on.

They now recommend that I exchange to other hotel companies's timeshare - but not many of these exist in Europe. I have traded to an Interval 'Gold Palm' resort in England's Lake District, I would not say it was awful, but it was far below the standards that Marriott has. I was particulary annoyed when I found out that the rental for this timeshare was less than the maintenance fee that I had paid for my Marriott timeshare!  

The difficulty with exchanging to other hotel companies is that they are in high demand, and therefore difficult to get a successful exchanges. The exchange is also at greater cost than exchanging Marriott to Marriott.

Happy days Leslie P

retired Platinum

Lesliepamel

Thanks for the train info, I just booked it.

I can see where you would have a problem with the sales people that sold you on trading your timeshares for points. Your maintenance fees keep going up and Marriott keeps raising the points to trade into other properties. I'm not sure Marriott will ever do anything to correct the embalance but it sure seems like the right thing for them to do.

Retired

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Your maintenance fees keep going up and Marriott keeps raising the points to trade into other properties.

Following Hurricane Katrina, insurance premiums rose 28% and the deductible per named storm from $5K to $100K. To protect vacation ownership, many associations in FL raised $100K contingency funds. Coupled with energy costs and statutory tax increases, MFs at Florida timeshares rose by double-digit percent every year since 2004.  For those who value vacation ownership because they occupy at the home resort or exchange to another Marriott Vacation Club, the primary interest is in maintaining and enhancing MVC resorts.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I'm not sure Marriott will ever do anything to correct the imbalance but it sure seems like the right thing for them to do."

Straight-up, correcting the imbalance is most definitely a course of action looking for a solution.  My hunch is that the likely solution resides in a plan that balances the cost to maintain, refurbish and enhance home resorts with the cost to deliver additional value in the form of Marriott Rewards points. 

To deliver such a solution, Marriott Vacation Club may need to team up more closely with Marriott Rewards. 

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...