6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2011 4:21 PM by dbquilt RSS

FRENCHMAN'S COVE STT USVI

lesliepamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

IN EARLY MARCH I WILL BE TRAVELLING TO THE ABOVE RESORT. HAS ANYONE GOT ANY USEFUL INFORMATION CONCERNING THE RESORT AND/OR THE LOCALE.

• Re: FRENCHMAN'S COVE STT USVI
    stumpy Platinum

The hotel is a bit run down. I would try to stay on the Morningstar beach side. It's a bit of a hike back to the hotel but the rooms are far better and you are right on the beach. Havana Blue is located there and it is one of the best restaurants on the island. Use the water ferry as much as possible since the cabs are very expensive. If you plan on going into town more than a few times, I'd look into renting a car. The activity desk at the hotel is great and I found all of the vendors they hooked us with to be outstanding. Take the tour to St John, it's a must see.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

littlemommy Platinum

Hi - I hAVE NOT HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS PROPERTY.  i HEAR IT IS RUNDOWN, SERVICE IS TERRIBLE, INSECTS ARE A PROBLEM .  iF YOU HAVE YOUR HEART SET ON sT. tHOMAS, i WOULD RECCOMMEND STAYING AT THE rITZ YOU CAN CHECK AND SEE IF THEY ARE LISTED ON POINTSAVERS IF YOU ARE USING CERTIFICATES!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

texamc78 Platinum

I go to this property every 3 rd week in May.  My girlfriend and I enjoy sailing and usually book 2 private day trips with:

http://sailhighpockets.com/

The Owners are Kathleen and Jim, they are really great and know the area well!  We take a day trip and then a sunset cruise.  I like to book it private since they can take up to 6 people and we are only 2, we like our privacy.  Kathleen and Jim are both Captains and she will take you out, stop at a bay, where you can swim or snorkel if you wish.  She then prepares snacks and a hot lunch, she is a fantastic cook too!  They will serve you your favorite beverage and play music to your request, if you have an i-Pod, they can hook that up too.  We always enjoy some champagne and a rum drink or two.  The trip usually last 5-6 hours, leaving at 9 am and back by 3-4.  They will also give you a private lesson in sailing, I believe the ship is 56 ft long.  It was designed by the same people who built the Intrepid, which won the Americas Cup several times.  They are a fun couple and very friendly, catering to your desires.  It will be an experience of a lifetime, take your cameras.  Youwill see all sorts of fish and turtles, multi-million dollar villias and the sea.  If you like sailing, this is the best outfit to book and you can tell them that Steve McGown said so.  I usually pay cash upon getting on the ship, but they will take a credit card too.  Try and get a roomm that overlooks the bay and you can warch all the cruise ships come and go from your window, a higer floor is better for this.  If you take the time share tour, it will take most of your day, but you do get a lot of points for this, but I prefer not to waste my vacation with a hard sell situation.  There are neighboring islands to go visit, so take a passport.  Don't bother renting a car, they drive on the wrong side of the road there and the roads are crowded, I just take a taxi, water taxi's are available to take you to town to shop, this is better than a car!!  There is a lot to see and do, but take some time to relax too, by the pool, in it, you can swim up to the bar.  They have a very stong rum drink there, voodoo punch, and it is very strong, so be careful.  I prefer a light wine or champagne.   You can buy a bottle in the gift shop, but they chage a lot for it, so you can buy it in town cheaper and just ice it down for yourself.  The staff are all very professional and helpful.  Don't be afraid to ask for anything, check the roomo out and if you don't like it, ask for a different room, they usually will accommodate your wishes.  They can also help you plan a trip to the other islands.  Enjoy!!

Steven

jimf41 Platinum

What type of useful info do you want? Restaurants, beaches, shopping, day sails, inter island travel, resort amenities?

jimf41 Platinum

Disregard the negative posts. They are talking about the Reef Hotel not the Cove. The Cove is a 3 year old TS and about 30% of the units just opened last week. It's in wonderful condition.

dbquilt Platinum

We go there every year (Early March this year too).  Fablous place. We have had our daughters and families as well as inlaws.  The Cove has something for all ages.  If you are going to be "self catering" Plaza Extra next to K mart will be worth the cab fare.  http://www.plazaextra.com/stthomasad.htm  Also a good place to shop for rum etc.

Be sure to get around to the rest of the island. Get over to St John...You can book a tour or if you are driving a rental, be sure that you can take your car.  Last I heard Hertz did not allow it.  Avis still does and has an Airport desk.  The Lonely Planet & Fodors guides have excellent information.  Herman Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carnival" is a good read about life in the USVI too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...