9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2009 10:51 AM by frisco06 RSS

Marriott Reward Level

lazjewels Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a Silver Elite member and I just had a thought. Why is there such a gap between Silver and Gold levels? I will always only maintain silver status because gold is 50 nights per year. Gold status is really for business travelers. I'd have to stay at a Marriott at least once a week to get 50 nights to earn gold status. Tiers should be set differently for business travelers and leisure travelers. To me that's only fair.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Reward Level
    anadyr Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

If you get the Premier Visa you'll get 15 nights immediately every year, nearly one third of the way to Gold Status.  Those other 35 are doable, but as you say you have to work at it. 

Silver was at one time a level that required 15 nights a year, not ten as it is now. 

Gold and Platinum levels are hard to tell apart in my view, having been both.  Platinum adds a very few extra perks, nice ones at that, but is similar in that you gain access to the Concierge Lounge, and are sometimes upgraded to the Floor, based on availability.

So, get the Visa card, and work hard to earn those 35 other nights--really it's not that hard.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Sorry, lazjewels, but as someone who travels over 150 nights per year... I have to disagree with you. 

rcrodgersjr Platinum 3 Reviews

If you go away for long weekends consider staying in a Marriot property. combine that with a couple of trade show or company offsites a year and you'll get there. One other thing, the old saying "be careful what you wish for" comes to mind. It gets tough being away so many nights each year. Be well!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Congratulations on acheiving Silver Elite status.  It's a great starting point where you can experience the benefits of being loyal to Marriott. 

My wife and I developed a travel bug and travel at every opportunity for leisure. Weekend road trips add up!  Coupled with the weeks spent with Marriott Vacation Club, Gold was achievable. With nights from the Visa card, it's even easier. 

It's not the Marriott Rewards level that motivates us.  What we love and enjoy the most, is the treatment and world-class hospitaility we experience with Marriott.

iefbr14 Platinum 4 Reviews
    How would a business/leisure differentiation be enforced? That would be industry-first, and probably not workable. Next would be traffic lanes for people going to work versus driving for pleasure; restaurant sections for casual eaters versus those on a work lunch hour. In order for a business membership to have different rules than leisure customers, one category will be more favorable than the other. Then you'll see everyone migrate to that one, and you're now back where you started.

wrowdy Silver 4 Reviews

I feel the same way that you do... If you do not travel for business, it is very difficult to move up in status.  I was able to achieve my first status change because my husband and I went on our honeymoon for 7 days and we stayed at our timeshare for a week that same year.  And we applied for the credit card....

It will be hard for us to keep up with 50 stays (we won't be on a honeymoon trip for 7 days each year)

Each time you make a reservation, they ask you if you are traveling for business or leisure... Could they not make some type of arrangements for those who are not traveling for business?

impulsivepuppy Platinum

Merry Christmas Lajewels!  Well, I understand your frustration but from a business perspective and my personal perspective I'm not so sure your idea would work that great.  Firstly, I think there would be quite a backlash against Marriott from business travelers who feel they have 'paid their dues' so-to-speak.  Marriott would lose business.  Also, as someone stated below, how would they know? I stay approx 80 nights per year.  What would stop a traveler from telling Marriott those 80 nights are 'leisure' travel in order to achieve status quicker?  Though business travel is the bread and butter for a large core of Marriott's income, in the end, Marriott as a business shouldn't care why the guests stay there, just so long as Marriott gets the guests to stay there. Have a wonderful New Year and I hope you get to travel for pleasure a lot!  :)

jmat6687 Silver

I agree with you, but also agree that anyone could lie. My suggestion would be a level at, say 20 or 25 nights, and just change some names

10 nights-Bronze

20/25-Silver

50-Gold....and so on

That way that new level would be easier for some folks to attain

frisco06 Platinum

That would never work.

Marriott knows which side their bread is buttered on.

Which customer do you honestly believe that Marriott, or any other hotel chain, is going target the 10-night-a-year leisure traveler or the 200+ night-per-year business traveler? 

While they value everyone's business, I am banking on the business traveler...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...