3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2009 8:48 AM by impulsivepuppy RSS

Silver to Gold and Room Upgrade question

trees0912 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am two stays away from Gold status, have only been Silver in the past.  Our family will be staying 12 nights in Hawaii (Oahu, Maui & Kauai) in February, booked with points and some paying cash.  They are all booked as Garden view, will Gold get me Ocean front even if they are booked with Points?  Does it work the same at the Maui Ocean Club (vacation club resort)?  I want to know if I should try and book another night this year to achieve Gold status.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Silver to Gold and Room Upgrade question
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Congratulations in advance on hitting the Gold milestone.  Upgrades at Marriott Vacation Club are a slippery slope.  As covered in prior discussion on Insiders, the MVC brand targets vacation ownership. Irrespective of Elite status, MVC owners with multiple weeks staying at their home resort have first dibs on oceanfront. About a week prior to arrival, MVC Owner Services calls owners to arrange villa assignments.

Last July, the MVC brand was integrated into Marriott's Hotel Categoy designation so that unreserved inventory could be made available for paid rentals or redeemed using points.  The February timing might work in your favor.  By then you will have been upgraded to Gold.  When status is confirmed, I suggest calling the Gold Reservations desk and request they call the property on your behalf.  It can't hurt.

In the meantime, familiarize yourself with the terms & conditions that apply when redeeming points for MVC stays:  Marriott Vacation Club Rewards.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eyes_of_texas Platinum

Trees,

The added perks for gold v. silver are significant.  I would definately recommend taking advantage of a weekend deal to earn that higher status.  That said, even platinum status doesn't guarantee an upgraded room.  They are always provided "based on availability upon checkin."  So, don't count on any upgrade.  Instead - stack the deck in your favor.  Call the property directly once your reservation is in the system.  Speak with the General Manager.  Let him/her know that this is a special vacation for you and your family.  Add that you sure would be appreciative if a special room might be blocked for you.  Again - no guarantees.  But the call can only help.  Good luck!

impulsivepuppy Platinum

I agree with the post below.  In the past I have personally emailed the GM of the property I was heading to, and almost always got the upgrade.  However, I am careful not to expect anything more than what I am paying for.  When it does come through, it is very nice.  Have a great vacation!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...