43 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2009 11:35 PM by nuhusker RSS

Marriott Vacation Clubs resorts to move to hotel categories

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings, Marriott Rewards Insiders!

On July 16, Marriott Vacation Club resorts will move to hotel categories. This means that the number of points required to stay at a Marriott Vacation Club will change: the points required will be increasing.

As your Marriott Rewards liaison, my number one priority is to give all Marriott Rewards members and Insiders the straight facts.

A complete list of the Marriott Vacation Club resorts and the new category levels will be published on Marriott.com later tonight. Watch the program news section of Marriott Rewards (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi) for more information.

This move does not change Marriott Vacation Club's participation in No Blackout Dates. If you own a Marriott Vacation Club timeshare, this change does not impact the number of points you receive in trade for your week. 

Please note, the changes don't take effect until July 16th. We will honor any reservations booked before July 16th at the current point amount.

Thanks all,

Andrew

• Re: Marriot Vacation Clubs resorts to move to hotel categories
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Oh my Lord, the bloodletting just keeps getting worse.

I love the heading to the news, Greetings, Marriott Rewards Insiders!

The exclamation point makes it sound like another exciting "enhancement" when the news is actually quite dismal.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Vacation Clubs resorts to move to hotel categories
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Andrew,

Thanks for posting this announcement, it's very clear to me that Marriott Rewards and MVCI are working to tighten up brand integration.  Moving MVCI resorts into hotel categories is one more step in that direction. For convenience:

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

"Oh my Lord, the bloodletting just keeps getting worse.
    I love the heading to the news, Greetings, Marriott Rewards Insiders!  The exclamation point makes it sound like another exciting "enhancement" when the news is actually quite dismal."

Bloodletting?  Aren't we jumping to conclusions?  My membership with Interval International is paid through 2012 and I still have weeks on deposit.  Rather than accumulate points, I use Interval to accumulate time which reaps the max from vacation ownership. (When you deposit a week with Interval, it extends usage of that week for up to 2 years - preserving the value.)

About 90% of the time, II works for me, the Marriott Desk folks are very knowledgeable and true customer advocates - I enjoy working with them. That said, there are instances where I prefer to stay 2 or 3 nights in the luxury of a villa and renting at the MVCI owner rate.  That works extremely well and Platinum Elite helps make it work.  The added flexibility of redeeming points provides another option. I LIKE THAT.

There are many owners, however, that feel like they are jumping through hoops whenever they deal with II.  For them,  II is a problem, not a solution.   When MVCI resorts move into categories, the process of Trade for Points will greatly streamiline the process.  I'm hoping those owners will have the option to enjoy vacation ownership without II hassles including II member dues and II exchange fees. 

The question is, in which category will villas land?  This has got to be the most slippery slope of all.

mickeypops Platinum

This is a terrible devaluation of the MRW system.  I stay in Marriott hotels on business most weeks and have tended to use the points to book vacations at MVCI resorts, so that my family can get some benefit as part recompense the time I spend away.

This year, I have two weeks in a 2BR villa booked at the Grande Vista, Orlando.  It cost me 300,000 points.  Next year the same trip will cost me 480,000 points (OK, I can take a fifteenth night free, but Marriott don't seem to realise that people take vacations in blocks of a week, not 5 days.)

To add insult to injury, I own a gold week, 2BR at the Marbella Beach resort.  I can trade my week for 100,000 points.  If I want to use points to buy that week, it will now cost me 240,000. 

Mr Marriott, you've just lost a loyal customer.

My experience with II and the Marriott desk is very much different than yours, and I think pretty representative of what most owners experience based upon what I read. Unlike your 90% success rate, mine is probably 10%. Getting into a resort of my choice, when I need to get it (usually during school breaks) has historically been very poor. In 2007 I deposited my week and requested 17 Caribbean properties of which not a single one ever came my way and in the end I had to settle for something less, and in the US.

I can only assume the reason my primary choices are not fulfilled is due to the trading value of my home resort, which is Desert Springs I and the restricted travel periods that I can take advantage of.

Also like most people, I've never been terribly impressed with Interval. If they aren't nickel and dimming me, they are saying "no no no".

mnnice Platinum

The table showing the redemption rates for a 7-day stay at each resort is very revealing about the value each represents. If it takes that many points to stay at one of those resorts, doesn't it make sense that the owners should receive the exact same number of points when trading our units/weeks for points?

Come on Marriott - let's be fair about this!!!!!

vpplayer Platinum

>TJCNewYork wrote: 

Certain that this news will be of interest to the MVCI community, I took the initiative to cross-post your message on the Timeshare Users Group.  Extremely active, there are already 33 messages posted.  TUG is public domain, here is the URL:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=719038#post719038http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=719038#post719038

This is a great opportunity to engage MVCI owners so an open invite was extended highlighting the current discussion:  MVC Plea for Help.

TJC, thanks for posting these links.  I was aware of the MR discussions on Flyertalk but didn't know about these. I hope that these forums help create enough discussion that will influence Marriott to remember their MVCI customer base and treat us equitably.     

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mickeypops:

"I own a gold week, 2BR at the Marbella Beach resort.  This year, I have two weeks in a 2BR villa booked at the Grande Vista, Orlando.  It cost me 300,000 points." 

Owner to owner, consider rethinking how to leverage your Marbella week to maximize the benefit of vacation ownership.

1. For week 1, deposit the Marbella week with Interval International and request an exchange at Grande Vista.
    2. For week 2, book your reservation at the MVCI OWNER RATE which is a discount from the published rate.
    3. Register for the Elite Rollover plus Double Nights promotion.  Assuming that week 2 falls w/in the promotional period, you will earn 10 points per dollar and receive 2x credit for each night.

"To add insult to injury, I can trade my week for 100,000 points."

On average, annual maintenance fees hover around $1,000 plus/minus.  At 10 points per $/US that equals 10,000 Marriott Rewards points.  When Trading for Points, the Marbella week delivers a return at a factor of 10.  MVCI weeks in Hawaii and Aruba have higher maintenance and deliver less points.  Can you elaborate why there is insult added to injury?

• Pay 90,000 sell for 240,000
    ruddskii Member

I always felt like I was getting taken advantage of when I traded my 2 bedroom timeshare at Grande Vista for 90,000 points, but this confirms it. The reason I purchased my timeshare was the ability to switch from timeshare to points. I like to stay in the condos but the reality is most are away from the action if you are staying in a city, so alternating with points allows me to stay in a hotel I want.

last year when they raised the points actually affects me much more than this because I would not trade my points for a timeshare, as I own one, but it sure does give me an idea of how I am being taken advantage of. MARRIOTT- DO THE MATH

P.S.  They get 240,000 points if someone stays long enough to get the free night. If they can split the week they get 280,000 points, and I have to pay them to trade in my points!

TJCNewYork:

You stated "When MVCI resorts move into categories, the process of Trade for Points will greatly streamline the process..."

I fail to see how you think this is a positive move on the part of Marriott. Once this new MVCI "Enhancement" starts, it will cost me either 30k or 35k per night for a "guest room", not even 1 or 2 bedroom unit. Compare that to the schedule we have been living with (see below) up to now in which the average points needed for a guest room is a mere 25k. Right now I can stay in a 1 bedroom unit in Aruba for 7 nights (not 6 nights, 7 days) for 125k points, or 18k points per night. This will change to 210k, nearly a 75% increase.

Here is the page containing the current valuations needed for redemption at MVCI. Read it and weep.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/mvciPart.mi <</a>/p>

If I'm just missing something, please explain.

tjcnewyork Platinum

VPPlayer

"I was aware of the MR discussions on Flyertalk but didn't know about these. I hope that these forums help create enough discussion that will influence Marriott to remember their MVCI customer base and treat us equitably."

MVCI OWNERS ARE THE MOST UNDERSERVED yet fiercely loyal customers that Marriott has.  The Marriott Vacation Club brand is the least integrated brand in Marriott Rewards, so even the Marriott Rewards folks - with all the Freddie Awards - don't even have anyone in their business unit representing the vacation ownership customer base.  MVCI is the least integrated brand in terms of Customer Care, the reps send us to MVCI Owner Services - who know zip about Rewards.  The Marriott Desk at Interval International knows even less.

TIGHTER BRAND INTEGRATION between Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards is needed.  There are gaps and MVCI owners are left to fall into them as the responses to this discusssion make very evident.  Since there is no one in Marriott Rewards that understands the MVCI business model, how can we possibly expect Fair Value Exchange when it comes to Rewards?  Few MVCI owners are even aware they can rent a villa at the Owner Discount Rate, so they are being taken advantage of.

MVCI OWNERS MUST BE PROACTIVE. Cross-posting between the online communities builds awareness, IMHO. I too, hope that the loyal customers who signed contracts for lifetime vacation ownership with Marriott are treated more equitably.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Is it possible that since you've already bought your timeshare, Marriott knows you're locked in?  The only way out is pennies on the dollar.  Doesn't seem that Marriott has a lot of incentive to give in to the demands/requests for more program integration for timeshare owners.  On the other hand, they know I'm not locked into any brand (even though I haven't stayed at anything other than a Marriott property in over 10 years--by choice, not by pre-purchase), so they occasionally throw a bone, i.e., bonus points, to keep us on the hook. 

mickeypops Platinum 2 Reviews

TJCNewYoork:

You wrote:

"On average, annual maintenance fees hover around $1,000 plus/minus.  At 10 points per $/US that equals 10,000 Marriott Rewards points.  When Trading for Points, the Marbella week delivers a return at a factor of 10. "

With respect, this is nonsense.  You can buy 1000 points direct from Marriott for $12.50, i.e. 1.25 cents per point.  Where on earth do you get "10 points per dollar" from?  At your rate, the value of the 240,000 points now needed to book a week is $24,000 !!!

Secondly, the value of the week I own at Marbella is more than the MF.  The value is the MF plus  the opportunity to stay at the resort for a week, for which I paid a lot of money up front, and for which Marriott themselves value at around $2000+ or 240,000 points.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mickeypops

"Where on earth do you get "10 points per dollar" from?" 

Here's the reference to Hotel Stays and Earning 10 Points/$US

"At your rate, the value of the 240,000 points now needed to book a week is $24,000"

That is correct.  A Marriott Rewards member (non-Elite) would have to spend $24,000 worth of qualifying revenue at a Marriott property in order to earn 240,000 points in order to redeem in the scenario we're discussing.  Depending upon Elite status, there is a 20%, 25% or 50% bonus on Base Points which effectively reduces the revenue amount needed to earn 240,000 points.  For example, Platinum Elite receive a 50% Bonus on Base Points.  So, Platinum Elite spends $16,000 in revenue at Marriott hotels to get 160,000 points and gets an 80,000 points bonus.    

"the value of the week I own at Marbella is more than the MF.  The value is the MF plus  the opportunity to stay at the resort for a week, for which I paid a lot of money up front, and for which Marriott themselves value at around $2000+ or 240,000 points."

To my point. Why should non-owners at Marbella be able to stay at your resort for 100,000 points? Non-owners should pay premium rates whether paid$ or points to redeem a week at Marbella or any other MVCI resort.  As an owner paying a mortgage upfront plus MF, you/we have wisely purchased vacation ownership.

Now, what MVCI gives you/us (I am an owner, too) when we trade our week for points merits scrutiny. Like Superchief, LesliePamel and many others who have posted at Insiders, there is unanimity that MVCI needs to make an adjustment ~somewhere~ to achieve a Fair Value Exchange for MVCI owners. 

Thanks for posting your message and coming back to challenge my reply.  Too often, replies go unanswered and unread.  Let me know if you have any additional comments/questions.     

tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Mikieg

"I fail to see how you think this is a positive move on the part of Marriott. please explain"

Tighter brand integration is a very positive step for Marriott. Lodging offerings for business and leisure can be delivered with a consistent level of quality and service faster, better and cheaper.  More options, greater flexibility and less process improves customer experience and heightens guest expectations. 

Redeem 4 get the 5th night free excluded villas. Now, villas are integrated into the offering.  That's a milestone and a harbinger of PointSavers, Bonus offers and Double Nights to come.  It will be easier to include MVCI as a participating brand because behind the scenes, the Marriott and MVCI business units are collaborating to improve the business as well as the guest/owner experience. 

I'm on a time crunch and unable to cover all your points.  Overall, there's definitely MORE ground to cover, and I am confident that Marriott is NOT done yet, Feel free to challenge my views, I look forward to the discussion.

mickeypops Platinum

"Why should non-owners at Marbella be able to stay at your resort for 100,000 points?"

If  Ican go back to the start, my two complaints about this change of points redemption for MVCI booking resorts are:

1.  As a frequent Marriott hotel user, I collect points mostly in order to use them to buy weeks at MVCI resorts for family vacations.  The cost of this has just increased by 53%, sharply devaluing the value of the MRW program to me.  Let me give you an example.  I have two weeks booked at the Grande Vista later this summer at the old 150K per week rate for a 2BR villa.  I can purchase the same for around $1225 per week.  At the new rate of 240K, that's equates to around 0.5 cent per point, which is a very poor return.

2. I think it's pretty shoddy that - if Marriott determines that the value of weeks at resorts in points has increased sharply - there is no corresponding increase in the number of points on offer in exchange for giving up your ownership week.  This doesn't really affect me personally as I have never swapped my ownership week for points and don't intend to - but it reflects badly on Marriott's attitude to its owners, I think.

Anyway TJCNY, we're not going to agree, but it's been intersting exchanging views. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mickeypops

"Let me give you an example.  I have two weeks booked at the Grande Vista later this summer at the old 150K per week rate for a 2BR villa.  I can purchase the same for around $1225 per week." 

Not sure how you get to $1225/wk to purchase, please explain.

"At the new rate of 240K, that's equates to around 0.5 cent per point, which is a very poor return."

Agreed. Marriott never claimed that points are inflation proof.  MVCI vacation ownership is about purchasing deeded property.  Even so, under prevailing economic conditions, deeded property will depreciate.

"I think it's pretty shoddy that - if Marriott determines that the value of weeks at resorts in points has increased sharply - there is no corresponding increase in the number of points on offer in exchange for giving up your ownership week. This doesn't really affect me personally as I have never swapped my ownership week for points and don't intend to - but it reflects badly on Marriott's attitude to its owners, I think."

With regards to fair value exchange and reciprocity, we are in agreement.  While I have traded for points in the past, I will seriously consider alternatives before doing so in the future. 

lesliepamel Platinum

ROYAL PALMs Cat 6 . Marriott gives the MVCI owner 110,000 Reward Points, and then sells it an MR member for 240,000.

That has to be the largest rip-off that any company does for its loyal members

I am looking for the best way to get out of Marriott and place my loyalty with a company that has respect for its guests. 

lesliepamel Platinum

ROYAL PALMs Cat 6 . Marriott gives the MVCI owner 110,000 Reward Points, and then sells it an MR member for 240,000.

That has to be the largest rip-off that any company does for its loyal members

I am looking for the best way to get out of Marriott and place my loyalty with a company that has respect for its guests. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel and fellow MVCI owners:

Since day 1, Marriott Rewards points obtained by Trade-for-Points are actually ineligible for redemption at MVCI resorts (home or otherwise).  Prompted by several posts, I called Owner Services 1-800-845-4226 to re-confirm.   Points earned through paid Marriott hotel stays including paid villa rentals, travel services, Marriott Visa purchases, airline programs and retail programs among other ways may be redeemed for nights at Marriott Vacation Clubs.  However, points from an MVCI trade may be redeemed for hotel stays at all Marriott brands (except MVCI), airline mileage rewards and/or merchandise offerings among other options.  

"ROYAL PALMs Cat 6 . Marriott gives the MVCI owner 110,000 Reward Points, and then sells it an MR member for 240,000.  That has to be the largest rip-off that any company does for its loyal members"

While I understand how you might feel that way, strong language does litte to offer a constructive solution.  As a multiple-week loyal owner, I agree with the expectation to  redeem 7 nights at a hotel category that is on-par with the hotel category being traded for points.  That said, this desired outcome may be obtained in several ways.

• MVCI Owner PointSavers rates would allow owners to redeem nights using points at non-MVCI properties at a deep discount.  So, a MVC2 rate might be 10,000 point discount/night off Category 5 and higher; or a MVC3 rate might be 15,000 point discount/night off Category 6 and higher.    
    • MVCI Owner Rollover Rates.  Currently, owners may rent at other MVCI resorts at owner rates which is 25% off.  Why not rollover this rate as a corporate discount rate at ALL Marriott properties comparable to rates for AAA, Senior and Government? 

These alternatives among others offer constructive solutions that Marriott can build upon and enhance. I am very confident that Marriott worked very hard to earn the loyalty of 400,000 + owners and wants to retain our loyalty.  Unlike competing brands many of which have allowed resorts to fall into disrepair and substantially depreciate, Marriott strives to raise the bar on brand standards so that the value increases and high expectations are exceeded wherever you choose to stay an an MVCI resort worldwide.

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

I have an additional suggestion regarding better integration of MVC and Marriott Rewards, and this would alleviate the point devaluation issue. Platinum, gold, and silver bonuses should be applied to MVC point exchanges. Since the MVC nights count toward elite membership, multiple week owners and loyal Marriott customers would be rewarded for their loyalty and investment.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Superchief

"Platinum, gold, and silver bonuses should be applied to MVC point exchanges. Since the MVC nights count toward elite membership, multiple week owners and loyal Marriott customers would be rewarded for their loyalty and investment."

While applying Platinum, Gold and Silver bonuses of 50%, 25% and 20% respectively when trading a week for points would certainly close the gap, the approach is may be out-of-sync with current Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions.  I believe we are eye-to-eye on the objective. The desired outcome is to achieve a fair value exchange when trading for points. 

I believe there are different ways that this can be achieved within the Terms & Conditions and with a bit of creativity and innovation. Here's a few scenarios. 

• Currently, MVCI owners can rent a villa at an owner rate which is a 25% discount.  Similarly, Marriott has discounted rates for AAA, Senior and Government employees. Periodically, Marriott offers Corporate Rates like F5X.
    • What if Marriott EXPANDED the discounted rates to include MVCI Owner Rates?  For example, if you own a 1 bedroom villa, the rate, MVC1 might be a 20% discount.  An MVC2 rate for 2 bedroom owners might be a 25% discount.  And, an MVC3 rate for 3 bedroom owners would be 30%. 
    • MVC1, MVC2 and MVC3 rates may apply to Category 5, 6 and 7 resorts comparable to the assigned resort Hotel Categories.  Taking this concept a step further, Marriott could EXPAND PointSavers to include MVC PointSavers that would be incremented in a way that offsets the devaluation.
    • Another way to close the gap is to create a new Marriott Vacation Club VISA Ownership Card with a range of benefits including 100,000 points deposited into your account for every $1,000 paid in Maintenance Fees annually.  

All of these scenarios build upon the Marriott foundation and when combined can not only offset the devaluation, but potentially create a new engine for revenue growth on both the timeshare side and hotel side of the business. 

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Superchief; they prompted the scenarios above so any all feedback is welcome.

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Afternoon, MR Insiders

Given recently expressed concerns regarding Marriott Vacation Club (MVCI), MVCI Ownership, and MR point scales, we worked with the MVCI team to figure out the best way to let you know how one can learn tips to maximize vacation ownership.

Marriott Vacation Club Owners are invited to participate in complimentary, live Webinars featuring subjects pertinent to vacation ownership – several topics are offered, including “Earning and Redeeming Marriott Rewards Points.”

If you are a Marriott Vacation Club Owner, and would like to learn more about participating in a Webinar, we encourage you to visit MVCI by clicking here.

I hope you can find the time to check out these resources!

Regards,

Andrew

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://marriottlearningcenter.conferencing.com/header2.gif

Andrew,

"Given recently expressed concerns regarding Marriott Vacation Club (MVCI), MVCI Ownership, and MR point scales, we worked with the MVCI team to figure out the best way to let you know how one can learn tips to maximize vacation ownership.

Marriott Vacation Club Owners are invited to participate in complimentary, live Webinars featuring subjects pertinent to vacation ownership – several topics are offered, including “Earning and Redeeming Marriott Rewards Points.”

If you are a Marriott Vacation Club Owner, and would like to learn more about participating in a Webinar, we encourage you to visit MVCI by clicking here.

I hope you can find the time to check out these resources!"

Great note!  I am impressed that Marriott Rewards and Marriott Vacation Club are listening to MVCI owner concerns and collaborating.  The complimentary LIVE webinars look promising and will prompt animated discussion about the value of vacation ownership and Marriott Rewards. 

I participated in one of these online gathering the last time they had one, which was February 12th.

It was going well until the open question and answer part of the presentation. I was expecting the host to really know her stuff but when I posed a question about the Blackout Date policy, her response was not correct. I have a transcript of the session and here is how it reads:

Me: "There is great confusion about the new Blackout Date policy that was recently implemented. Some think that if there is a room available for sale, that it's available for points. From what I have seen, that's not the case as I have attempted to reserve using points and am still being shut out. Please explain the policy"

Host: "If a general room is available at a Marriott Hotel, it is available using Marriott Reward points. The point rate increase was implemented in order to allow all hotels to offer any general room on points"

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

"Host: "If a general room is available at a Marriott Hotel, it is available using Marriott Reward points. The point rate increase was implemented in order to allow all hotels to offer any general room on points""

Agreed, the answer is incorrect but also incomplete.  No Blackout Dates is likely the most confusing of the 2009 changes. 

1. The Marriott Vacation Club brand is not participating in the No Blackout Dates policy.* 
    2. MVCI Owners cannot use points obtained by Trading for Points at MVCI resorts. 
    3. There are several Marriott hotels not participating** 
    4. Many hotels that are participating still have capacity controls that even supercede Platinum overide; so for a non-Elite member it might be miraculous to get the desired reservation using points.

The people who give these webinars do need a bit more training to handle a Mikieg question.  You know too much to be dangerous :-)

Marriott Vacation Club incurs legal risk if the brand participates in the No Blackout Dates policy.  For example, under Florida statute (721.56) Marriott Vacation Club is required to manage a 'reservation system' including 'demand balancing.'  By statute, timeshare is deeded property and owner usage is protected.  Marriott Rewards points are a benefit and not protected by statute (in Florida)

** The list is buried under paragraph 13, see Hotel Rewards.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

"Is it possible that since you've already bought your timeshare, Marriott knows you're locked in?  Doesn't seem that Marriott has a lot of incentive to give in to the demands/requests for more program integration for timeshare owners."

Marriott Vacation Club (timeshare) is a distinct corporate entity from Host Marriott International (hotels & franchises).  I'm not 100% sure of the organizational structure, but I believe Host Marriott owns and operates Marriott Rewards.  By default then, Marriott Vacation Club owners are out-of-scope.  Membership in Marriott Rewards is completely voluntary, it's a benefit.

By statute, Marriott Vacation Club is obligated to observe federal and state laws that protect deeded property.  The state of Florida, for example, has very specific provisions that MVC must observe. The benefits of Marriott Rewards are completely separate and NOT subject to statute. 

The incentive for Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards to strive for tighter brand integration is to deliver a more satisfying customer experience that will retain customer loyalty and generate revenue whether it's business or leisure travel.

With a whopping 87% of business travelers extending stays for leisure, there's a HUGE incentive for Marriott Vacation Club to capture revenue. By the same token, redeeming Marriott Rewards for travel packages and hotel stays is very popular among MVC owners. Host Marriott stands to benefit from more revenue if Marriott Rewards were more tightly integrated to respond to Marriott Vacation Club owner interests. 

As stated repeatedly by many owners, 'Fair Value Exchange' when Trading for Points  merits increased scrutiny by Marriott Rewards.

TJC -- all valid points, I'm sure.  I just don't see the same incentive for marriott to meet the demands of timeshare owners as for catering to the business (or leisure) traveller staying in their hotel brands.  Seems I have a lot more options for lodging choices in hotels, whereas a timeshare owner is somewhat locked in to whatever brand they bought into.  By the way, what's the date they are increasing the points required to stay in MVC properties?  I notice that the points required for Ko Olina are still fairly reasonable.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

"I just don't see the same incentive for marriott to meet the demands of timeshare owners"

Thanks for challenging.   I think it's interesting that you see positive ideas and constructive suggestions as 'demands'.  Wherever there is a service gap, there's also a solution. Marriott is a very solutions-oriented company - that's why I trust Marriott with vacation ownership.  I'm not alone, there are 400,000+ owners, the ones that post here represent less than one-thousandth of one percent.

Just in case you missed it, brand integration between MVCI and Marriott Rewards is already underway.  As 400,000 owners grows to a half million, Marriott Vacation Club will reach critical mass and pull greater weight with Marriott Rewards.  The value proposition for both sides is established.  The writing is on the wall.  The move of Marriott Vacation Club resorts to hotel categories, the inclusion of Vacation Clubs in the Redeem 4 get the 5th Night Free, and the counting of Vacation Club owner nights towards qualifying for Elite status sets the direction for ongoing integration. 

As a solutions-oriented, award-winning company, Marriott has much more to come!  Among the next steps is the inclusion of MVCI resorts in the No Blackout Dates policy.  IMO, this is a very slippery slope and will be costly for Marriott to implement. Vacation ownership involves "deeded" property.  By statute, owner usage is protected. Marriott cannot just rent your villa for 240,000 points without you voluntarily exchanging.  So, "locked in" is a positive: Owners retain the highest priority at their home resort or other MVCI resorts.  Rather than Platinum Overide, let's call it Owner Overide :-) 

"By the way, what's the date they are increasing the points required to stay in MVC properties?  I notice that the points required for Ko Olina are still fairly reasonable."

The changes (increased point redemption) take effect July 16: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi#mvci.  Based upon multiple sources, MVCI is now giving 300,000 points as an incentive to purchase timeshare (developer weeks).  There are units for resale, too.   It's a great time to get 'locked in' with vacation ownership.  

Thanks TJC -- Just giving my take from a non MVCI participant perspective as to why Marriott seems to be balking at blending the two programs.  Although, I do agree with you that if they're going to include some promo's, why not go all the way and simply apply all to the MVCI and make no distinction.  And thanks for the civil give and take and after following your posts nearly daily, I am looking forward to visiting NH and NYC, as I've never been to either.  thanks.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

"Just giving my take from a non MVCI participant perspective."

Your perspective is welcome and appreciated.  As an owner, it's easy to get too close to one's own interests.

"Although, I do agree with you that if they're going to include some promo's, why not go all the way and simply apply all to the MVCI and make no distinction." 

As said earlier, it's a slippery slope.  Deeded property is protected by statute and Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards need to be in lock-step to protect the interests of the owners as well as the corporations'.  

"And thanks for the civil give and take"

I enjoy your posts among others also.  There are occasions when some Insiders can over-react and become vitriolic making civil discussion quite challenging.   Being passionate about one's expectations from a brand name like Marriott is important.  Expressing disappointment when Marriott fails to deliver is imperative.  How else can Marriott get it right?

"After following your posts nearly daily, I am looking forward to visiting NH and NYC, as I've never been to either."

Stay tuned for more postcards!   We found another little gem that's great for a one night stopover in NH and hope to spend more time there soon.

vix737 Gold

I'm really disappointed, as a non-owner, with this change to the Marriott Vacation Club Resorts move to hotel categories.

We have not been able to reserve a trip for next year yet with all of our business travel points because we are unable to plan so far ahead calendar-wise. However, once this change in necessary points takes place, the Marriott Rewards program and the points we receive from all the business travel, aiming to specifically stay at only Marriott hotels, becomes far less valuable to us. The major increase in points needed to book a trip is very frustrating. It feels as though the loyalty we show to Marriott isn't being shown in return, and it is very disapointing.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Vix:

Thank you for participating in the discussion.

"I'm really disappointed, as a non-owner, with this change to the Marriott Vacation Club Resorts move to hotel categories.  The major increase in points needed to book a trip is very frustrating."

The move of Marriott Vacation Club resorts to hotel categories and the increase in points to redeem does trigger "sticker shock."  To offset the increase, let's hope Marriott expands Pointsavers 

"It feels as though the loyalty we show to Marriott isn't being shown in return, and it is very disapointing."

I do applaud Marriott for Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights, Redeem 4 Get the 5th Night Free, 3 for 2 Resort Specials and tighter brand integration between Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards.  Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights really helped to remove some of the sting and reactivate the urge to explore and rediscover places visited before.

Having said that, there is more ground to cover to make redeeming Rewards truly award-winning.  I know we're not alone in feeling disappointed.  Although Marriott walked away from the Freddie Awards with nine 1st Place awards including Best Customer Service and Best Web Site*, echoing the disappointment are more than 43,000 Marriott Rewards members who voted Marriott 3rd when it comes to award redemption.**

Marriott made it right with Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights, let's hope they get it right when expanding Pointsavers for non-owners and owners.

*   1st AGAIN-Best Program, Best Web Site, Best Customer Service

**  Hilton Honors 1st in Awards

tjcnewyork Platinum

Andrew

The URL in the original post of this discussion thread triggers an error message: (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi)

For convenience:

tjcnewyork Platinum

MikegFLA

"I can only assume the reason my primary choices are not fulfilled is due to the trading value of my home resort, which is Desert Springs I and the restricted travel periods that I can take advantage of."

Although reserving our second week in a two-bedroom at DSVII was easy, doing so for our first week at DSVI was extremely difficult. There was slim pickins through II, we had to "settle" for a studio (with accomodation certificate).  About a month before arrival, a one-bedroom became available*.  We needed to move from DSVI to II because we had family joining us the second week. 

Desert Springs Villas I are huge, well-maintained and enjoy complimentary access privileges at the JW Marriott Desert Springs on campus.  Prior to arrival I learned that there are at least 7 buckets that villas are assigned.

1. DSVI owners staying at their home resort
    2. DSVI owners exchanging seasons at their home resort
    3. MVCI owners exchanging through II
    4. MVCI owners exchanging a split week through II
    5. Non-owners renting through Marriott.com
    6. Non-owners on a getaway package through II 
    7. Non-owners renting using Marriott Rewards points

My interpretation of what I was told was that there is % of units assigned to each bucket or 'capacity controls.'  This is to ensure that owners have first priority for the choice villas.

Demand for DSVI across all seasons is extremely high.  It is a mystery why you are experiencing difficulty trading to another resort.  When we went on the sales tour for the Enclaves at Shadow Ridge, we enquired about the availability of units at DSVI for resale. 

Comparing the numbers and the space, DSVI is a better value.  Since DSVI is the most mature of the resorts, the MF is now above $1,300.  We thought this was high, but reasonable given the location and amenities.  It is evident that the villas have undergone refurbishments and another is scheduled.  I understand that property taxes, insurance premiums and electricity is over the top in California and Desert Springs is no exception. 

In fact we were surprised that sales tax in Riverside County is 8.75%, higher than New York City!  At least in NY there is no tax on apparel less than $110.  Although we went to El Paseo several times, our primary enjoyment was window shopping.

* Postcards from Palm Desert California

Since I have "white" season, which covers week 22 through the week before Christmas, I don't have availability of the real peak season. This year I'm going to try for Thanksgiving week and see how that affects my exchange priority - if I get it.

tjcnewyork Platinum

MikiegFLA

Consider contacting MVCI owner services to request the best timing for your request since we are already in White season.  Requests can be filled a year in advance so it's to your advantage to lock-in plans early.   

TJCNewYork

While at the St. Kitts Marriott a few weeks ago (sensational property BTW) I signed up for the sales presentation (heck, for $100 in resort credit, why not?). When the salesperson got to the point where she said I could "simply" exchange for another resort anywhere in the world, I stopped her in her tracks and informed her of my experience.  She had a connected PC on her desk and I asked if I could sign onto my II account, where I had a week on deposit. Even before signing on I told her that when we look at availability over the next year, there will be slim pickins. Sure enough the selection was scant. She was in disbelief herself. She then started to look at my exchange and found a few problems, mostly the week which was assigned to me (middle of summer in Palm Springs) by Marriott and how that influenced my exchange priority. She gave me several suggestions, one which included getting the exchange back from II as well as pointers on getting a high demand week, which I'll be attempting.

If her methods work and I get a better selection of exchange opportunities, I'll be the happiest guy on this board.

tjcnewyork Platinum

MikiegFLA

"She was in disbelief"

Congratulations!   Sounds like things are looking up. As stated repeatedly in earlier posts, MVCI owners are the most underserved segment within Marriott.  Hopefully, the individual you met at St Kitts will be a good champion and coach for you and not only provide tips, but also point you in the direction of other contacts who can help facilitate your exchange objectives.

After staying at Desert Springs Villas 1 and thoroughly enjoying the villa, the staff, the JW resort/spa and sightseeing in the area, I was really stumped as to why you were experiencing such disappointment when trying to exchange. 

Desert Springs Villas 1 is HOT!  The location is a convenient drive from San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Vegas, and Palm Desert is the most upscale of the desert communities.  By the way, Interstate 10 which is 5 minutes from Desert Springs at the Cook Street exit is among a handful of transcontinental interstate highways. 

I-10 starts in Los Angeles and ends in Jacksonville, FL.  This explains why there were so many out-of-state plates visible in the parking cresents in front of the villas.  Instead of flying, vacationers are driving.   I discovered that I-10 was transcontinental while trying to find out where the Service Areas are located. 

In California, I-10 only has Rest Areas west of Indio.  That means you have to get on the freeway in LA with a full tank or waste time exiting trying to find a service station for gas.  Even the AAA folks were surprised. Prices at the pump in Palm Desert are lower than LA, I was able to find $2.79 per gallon on San Ramon near Hwy 111.

On a typical summer weekend, the DSVI enjoys 98% to 100% occupancy as does the JW.  This drops to about 85% at the villas and much lower at the hotel (40%) during the week.  The fact of the matter is that the timeshare resort is outpacing the hotel and in many ways driving business at the restaurants, golf and spa. 

The Renaissance Esmeralda just down the street is struggling in comparison.  In fact, the restaurant there was closed. What's up with that?   Without question, once the new redemption levels take effect in a few days, there will be an impact on occupancy.  I suspect that lockout units at DSVI and DSVII will be in very hot demand @ 30,000 points/night for a king with queen size sofabed.

http://www.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/LRA%20Images/Hotel_Category_Grid.gif

Bottom line, with ownership at DSVI and proper coaching, you should be the happiest guy on the board!

Cheers!

I can only hope.

Never stayed at an MVCI property, but since the required points will increase in a day or two, I just booked a few days at Marriott Canyon Villas for Sept.  I've stayed at the adjoining JW right after it opened a few years ago and really enjoyed the two golf courses. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

"Never stayed at an MVCI property, but since the required points will increase in a day or two, I just booked a few days at Marriott Canyon Villas for Sept.  I've stayed at the adjoining JW right after it opened a few years ago and really enjoyed the two golf courses."

Good for you!  An inspired decision for sure! Marriott's Canyon Villas feature 2 bedroom 2 bath with a lock-off.  Consider contacting Platinum Elite to place a request to stay in the main villa, not the lock-off unit. As shown below, the main unit has the living/dining area with a full kitchen (left) plus the larger master bedroom suite with the jacuzzi tub, double vanity and stall shower. The main unit also has in-villa laundry with a stacked washer/dryer. This is a real plus which my wife and I love.  We are able to pack very light knowing that we can launder everyday if we want.

The lock-off unit is like a standard room in a hotel with a king bed and queen sofabed.  There is a compact kitchenette with a sink, small refrigerator and coffee maker.  At Desert Springs the lock-off unit also has a small dining table for two, but Canyon Villa lock-offs are much smaller.  

If reservations says that the confirmed upgrade to the one bedroom main unit will cost 5,000 points additional per night - confirm it - it's worth it and you will not be disappointed.

https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/respages/images/resorts/cv/floorplans/floorplan_2br_2ba.jpg

Canyon Villas are 3-story structures.  The ground floor villas have patios that allow you to walk right out onto the golf course.  Definitely request a ground floor unit with a view of the golfcourse.  Based upon the resort layout, consider asking to stay in Palo Verde overlooking the golf course and on the corner nearest the main pool and whirlpool spas! 

http://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/respages/images/resorts/cv/photogallery/cvp083_big.jpg

In addition to contacting Platinum Elite, call the resort directly 480-629-3200 and request to speak with Pre-Arrival Services.  Usually they will start assigning villas two weeks to a month before hand.  But it won't hurt to develop a rapport. 

In advance, have fun planning and most of all have a memorable vacation.

Thanks TJC. Lots of good info. So I reserved a standard room, with balcony, etc., on line for 50k and then called and asked about an upgrade for 5k per night. Was told that wasn't possible, but could reserve 1 bedroom for 75k so after some thought I did that on line also and cancelled the standard room. Tonight while viewing that reservation I noticed that it lists 90k required for 3 nights in cat 6 hotel and additional 15k for standard upgrade reward for a total of 105000 points. My account still shows only the original 75k deducted. So I called platinum res. and was told I needed to call Marriott rewards on Monday to confirm that they would be adding the additional points to my account which would then be deducted to coincide with the increased points required for the reservation under the new requirements for MVCI properties. Does this make any sense to you? This is aggravating having to make the first call, much less additional calls especially since I now have the impression that although I made this reservation under the old point values, the new point values will now be required to keep and use the reservation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...