3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2010 1:51 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

How to upgrade the room??

domokun Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Gold members are supposed to have the privilege of upgrading the room upon arrival when available. Even if the hotel looks quite quiet, we hesitate to ask to upgrade, because the regular room key is already prepared for us. We put in a comment when we booked online, the other day and the result was a bill with a higher rate and I had to negotiate with the hotel clerk. Does everybody get the membership benefit with no problem?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How to upgrade the room??
    tjcnewyork Platinum

domokun

Regrettably, the experience you describe is becoming more common.  Marriott Rewards Membership Benefits do include a complimentary upgrade for Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members*.  The benefit varies by participating brand, which Marriott is involved? 

Regards, how to upgrade. I prefer to call Elite reservations, book the lowest rate and request a 'complimentary upgrade' be added to my preferences.  Several days prior to arrival, I call the hotel to confirm the reservation and complimentary upgrade.  I make a note of who I spoke with and when.  If the hotel cannot honor my upgrade request, I escalate to the Front Desk Manager.  Rather than lose business, they will honor my request.  If not, I cancel the reservation and rebook with one who can.  Although I have experienced other issues related to a Marriott's failure to deliver on Elite membership benefits, so far complimentary upgrade is not one of them. 

As unnerving as higher than expected charges can be especially at check-out,  do consider the alternative of writing to Customer.Care@marriott.com  Recently, I encountered a hotel clerk who utterly failed to resolve an issue to the extent of being condescending so as to compel my wife and I to check-out in advance of our check-out date.  Customer.Care@marriott.com escalated to the Executive Office resulting in a full refund plus additional compensation for the inconvenience.

* Membership Benefits 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

domokun Silver

We usually stay either at Fairfield Inn or Courtyard.

It seems service varies depend on the individual hotel rather than on brand.  One courtyard, we repeatedly use, seems care less about the repeaters. we have never had upgrade at all there. The problem this time was at Fairfield Inn, but some Fairfield always provide us suite with no problem at all.

We always book online and have never tried elite reservation center.  Probably we should try.  And we will more emphasis on "complimentary" when we request for upgrade! 

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Recently, a Courtyard Front Desk Manager advised that Marriott hard-coded system changes that prevent complimentary upgrades for reservations booked using points - even if there is availability irrespective of Elite status.  Platinum Elite reservations passed the buck saying that the hotel can decide what to honor or not.  The Courtyard reservation was promptly cancelled in favor of a better deal at Residence Inn close by which has a 1 bedroom suite with free wireless internet plus breakfast included.  Strange way to conduct business, but a sure way to lose it.    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...