43 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2014 1:17 PM by jakeal RSS

Renaissance Discovery Doors Contest - Uh, gee, I don't get it....

ssindc Platinum 34 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, folks, have you seen the new (?) Renaissance Discovery Door ContestRenaissance:Discovery Doors

Does it work for you?  Does it make you want to stay at (or avoid) a Renaissance Property?

Supplemental question: has anybody won anything yet?  If so, what? (And, sure, if you explain how, so much the better!!!)

Ladies & gentlemen - apparently, we have a (or at least) one winner!!!!   click here for more info: Discovery Doors, created by Renaissance Hotels

I hate to admit I just wasted the better part of 10 minutes on it.  Some quick observations:

• The target audience is younger, hipper, and more socially-media-obsessed than me.  My sense was that participation is all about sharing (your friends' email addresses or Facebook contacts) or tweeting - that's how you score more points (or in this case, accumulate keys).
  • It's stunningly, well, weird - and I'm guessing that's the intent.  Weird music, weird people, weird nouveau-arty themes.  Think Cirque de Soleil, but out of context and without cohesion.
  • Somebody spent a lot of time (and money) designing the complex door-and-key regime, and a fair number of actor/performers were employed (however) briefly in the campaign.  It sure seemed like a waste to me.
  • But my most visceral reaction was that nothing in the videos made it seem like I'd be welcome, let alone comfortable in any of those properties.
    • I guess I get it - I've seen a number of the Renaissance R-Life bars, which are younger, hipper, and trendier than I am - the last few I saw were in Times Square (killer view - really good/fun food), the 57 in New York (a gem in the city), Baltimore Inner Harbor, and Chicago (on the river - alas, we went in for a late night snack, but the menu didn't push our buttons so we left) - but I did not sense that they reflected the core clientele in the hotel.  Alas....

What I found most disorienting is that - and it shouldn't come as any surprise to my geezer colleagues - we are decidedly not the target demographic, audience, customer base.  I guess I find it a little depressing, since Renaissance is my first-choice, go-to Marriott brand - both in the U.S. and outside the country.  Alas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Baltimore, Maryland, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
  • Re: Renaissance Discovery Doors Contest - Uh, gee, I don't get it....
    erc Platinum 1 Reviews

Hey, how'd you get video of my birthday party?

Wow, you're selected Insider of the Month (congrats - well deserved) and shown the door all within the same hour. How's that for a kick in the pants?  This forum will be renamed in November (must use a Commodore to log in) The Outsiders . Having some fun now, ain't we?!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Color me stupid, but I went back and tried the contest again today.  Granted, I only wasted 5 minutes (rather than 10 yesterday).

• I've now collected (and tried, unsuccessfully) seven (7) keys - alas, the three key presentations were all repeats from yesterday - as a result of trying the keys, I've seen seven uniquely bizarre short videos - I'll admit that, today, two were at least marginally interesting - I liked the William Tell (apple & arrow) and the Astronaut (weightlessness) shorts - but, alas, no cigar (or, more importantly, no progress.
      • Also, just curious, how do others feel about a hotel contest where the consistent theme is having doors being closed in your face?  Granted, they're sometimes closed gently, but the symbolism is clear - GET OUT OF MY ROOM!!!!
    • I'm still unwilling to impose the contest on my Facebook friends, nor am I willing to tweet it, so it's pretty obvious I'm not making any progress that way.
    • Today, however, the "game" asked for a 5-digit code, and I have no idea how or where I'm supposed to get it.
    • I liked the reaction on FlyerTalk - "This is the most annoying contest ever."  Yup, that was my reaction too!
    • All of which begs the question - and I concede that (1) I'm not in advertising, and (2) no one will ever accuse me of being uniquely creative - but I'm at a total loss to see how this contest is intended to generate business for Renaissance.
      • I understand that Marriott wanted to populate the Insiders site with gazillions of hotel reviews - the last contest was effective at accomplishing that goal.  Also, as the winners list demonstrated - it awarded new or inconsistent (rather than regular or devoted) site members, thus increasing site traffic.  So I get that.
      • But the Renaissance contest - if you understand it, please explain it to me!!!!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I read on FT that others are equally as confused & irritated by the game, so are giving up.  Not quite sure that was the intent of the sweeps.  Since I'm not on FB & I only tweet for biz purposes, guess I'll be taking a pass on this one.

Cheers.

bejacob Gold 22 Reviews

Weird doesn't begin to describe this game. I won't be sharing it with anyone in hopes of getting more keys to unlock more chances to win. Some design team clearly spent a great deal of time creating the interactive web site, but I'm not sure it will do much from a marketing standpoint. Marriott would be better off getting younger travelers (clearly the demographic) engaged with MR through value properties like FFI with the goal of gaining a loyal traveler who will upgrade to Renaissance or J W Marriott when financially viable.

I love staying a Renaissance when I can, but this contest is just bizarre and will probably do little to increase traffic to the brand.

Day 3 report or A Glutton for Punishment Gets His Just Desserts

• I log in
    • I collect three keys - being forced to watch the same 3 videos of 3 unusual characters (nay, weirdo's) disclosing a key in the same manner as the day before.  In all fairness, only the young woman in the pink wig (hair) really creeps me out - the two guys are just, well, weird.  But are we expected to watch this same weird sequence daily?
      • Just to taunt me, it actually tells me I have four (4) keys - go figure.
      • Then I go to unlock the door.
      • Then the game locks up.
      • I go back to the main page - and my keys are gone. I do not get to unlock any doors.
    • I repeat the process - I know, I know, I'm a moron - my own worst enemy!
      • I log in
      • I collect three keys
      • This time I get to see more weird videos
        • The adult nerd prom is uncomfortable
        • The spa wedding is as creepy as it is goofy
        • The marionette is painful to watch
        • Now I've seen 10 weird, pointless videos - all of which end with a door being closed in my face.
        • How is this supposed to enhance my brand loyalty to Renaissance (or win new customers)?  I don't get it.
    • Drawn like a moth to a flame, do I have the strength - or the morbid curiosity - to return tomorrow?
    • Just another day banging my head against the wall and failing, utterly, to understand - in any way, shape or form - this contest.
    • Granted - as I conceded at the beginning - I realize that, because I'm unwilling to tweet or share personal information on my friends (or enemies), they don't want me to win.
    • But - seriously - the whole thing makes no sense to me...
    • Have YOU got it figured out?

foxglove Silver 2 Reviews

ssindc,

Since they're going for that younger, hipper market, the young tech wizards who came up with this thing obviously installed an interactive geezer sensor in the coding. It won't even let me enter. "No keys for you!"

Once more unto the breach...

• Today - armed with prior experience - I found the game play less painful with the sound muted.
      • Three more keys, but now (finally - for better or worse) the in-room videos are repeating....
      • Still have no clue whatsoever how to find a 5-digit code (or a key code).  Not finding anything in the game rules or the play that explains it...
      • Hoping someone (young and hip and, apparently, profane) is winning all the prizes!!!!

Most importantly - given the almost complete lack of response and chatter about the game on the Marriott Insiders (as opposed, say, to the explosion of interest and commentary on the recent Review Your Stay Sweepstakes), it appears that this one is passing the Marriott Insiders by...  Although a review of the winners' list from the Review Your Stay Sweepstakes - Help us congratulate the Review your Stay Sweepstakes Winners - reminds us that we didn't do so well in that contest either....

Aha - here's some more information:  No Need For “Do Not Disturb Sign”—Renaissance Hotels Launches “Discovery Doors” — New Interactive Film-Based Digital Gaming Experience - Marriott News Center    Here's an excerpt:

Renaissance Hotels (renhotels.com), the hotel brand designed to help guests Live Life to DiscoverSM, is making discovery easier and more fun with the hotel brand’s first interactive film based gaming experience, Discovery Doors (renhotels.com/discovery). The unique online film experience, created by New York communications agency Anomaly and directed by award winning director Jason Zada, enables users to explore a real life Renaissance hotel online while unlocking unexpected elements of surprise behind every door.

To officially kick-off the online experience, Renaissance Hotels partnered with CeeLo Green, Chief Creative Officer for Primary Wave Music, to surprise an unsuspecting family at the Renaissance New York Hotel 57 with an intimate serenade as they opened their guest room door.  The inspiring discovery is one of many surprises players can expect to find when they open one of dozens of doors in the film based digital game. To see exclusive footage of CeeLo Green surprising unsuspecting guests in New York City, visit http://youtu.be/qDXXmw0qr_I.

Interestingly enough, this YouTube video makes more sense than the gameDiscovery Doors Surprise Featuring CeeLo Green - YouTube

So here's my question: what does this video - or what happened to this family - have to do with game?  I opened a door with that guy (whoever CeeLo Green is - yes, yes, I'm sure I should know - but trust me, I didn't recognize him then, and I don't recognize him now), but, in the game, he ignored me - it looked like he was waiting for someone younger and more attractive, I'm sure - and then - magically - closed the door in my face....

Hey, I'm a big fan of the Renaissance 57 in NYC (as is my spouse), but I still don't get the game (at all)....

Hey, merb or communitymanager - any idea who these people are??? catherine.leitner@marriott.com and laurenb@alisonbrodpr.com - apparently they're the contact folks on this (or so says the Marriott News Center)....  Maybe they understand the contest!!!!  If they could explain it, that would be awesome!!!!

I'm assuming they'll explain that the game is targeted for the kind of social media Gen X and Gen Y's who Tweet and serve up their friends' personal information for personal gain.  (At least that makes sense.)  And, look, if they tell you that clueless geezers - uncool frequent Marriott and Renaissance customers like us - you know the type - over 50, travel a lot - simply wouldn't get it and, as a result, we're not the target audience, that would be helpful information as well!  At least then I'll know to stop visiting the site and banging my head against the wall.

Also, if you chat with them, ask 'em if the same three performers give out the same keys every day?   There's at least 10 behind-the-door scenes, so it seems strange to have to navigate the same lobby loungers each day...

Ah, more insight from the web at: Renaissance Hotels Dares You to Unlock Digital Doors

This “Discovery Doors” experience is reminiscent of the digital experience from Perrier, “Secret Place,” which unlocking clues at a secret Parisian party.  [stet - gibberish in origial]

Note: here is some more on that Perrier ad campaign:                 Perrier: The ‘Secret Place’ Digital Experience | Digital Buzz Blog                   

Well, there is clarity on one point:

... Renaissance, with the help of agency Anomaly and director Jason Zada, decided to create a cool online experience called “Discovery Doors,” which it hopes will attract a larger and younger audience.

Take that geezers! (Hey, wait a minute, I'm a geezer!!!!)

But wait, I think this is even more specific and clear: CeeLo Green May Be Hiding in Your Renaissance Hotel Room  -  Carry On | Travel + Leisure

What do you do if you're a hotel chain that wants to grab the interest of potential Gen X and Y guests? It's obvious, isn't it? You entice young women into a hotel room where a pajama-clad CeeLo Green, the singer-songwriter behind the danceable hit, "F*** You," lies in wait, smiling seductively. And that, in fact, was the kick-off P.R. stunt for one seriously odd (and oddly cool) promotional campaign: Discovery Doors,

Note: well, at least I know who CeeLo Green is now.... What a perfect pitch person for my favorite hotel chain.  I can't wait to tell my spouse!!!!

Wait - I just can't walk away from that - the signature song of the front man for the Renaissance ad campaign is "F*** You," ....

Speechless.....

OK, here are the lyrics to the signature song of the featured pitchman for the Renaissance campaign.  Forewarned - it is laced with profanity, but I've ***-ed it out......

I see you drivin' 'round town with the girl I love

And I'm like, "F*** you!"

I guess the change in my pocket wasn't enough

I'm like, "F*** you and f*** her, too!"

Said if I was richer, I'd still be with you

Hah, now ain't that some sh*t?

(Ain't that some sh*t?)

And although there's pain in my chest, I still wish you the best

With a f*** you

Now look here, I'm sorry I can't afford a Ferrari

But that don't mean I can't get you there

I guess she's an Xbox and I'm more Atari

But the way you play your game ain't fair

I pity the fool that falls in love with you

Oops, she's a gold digger, just thought you should know, ni*** [editor's note - this is a classy addition to the more mundane profanity throughout!]

Well, I've got some news for you

Yeah, go on and run tell your little boyfriend

(Ain't that some sh*t?)

With a f*** you

Now I know that I had to borrow

Beg and steal and lie and cheat

Tryin' to keep ya, tryin' to please ya

'Cause bein' in love with your a** ain't cheap, no

I pity the fool that falls in love with you

Oops, she's a gold digger, just thought you should know, ni*** [editor's note - more classy vocabulary!]

Well, I've got some news for you

Ooh, I really hate your a** right now

(Ain't that some sh*t?)

With a f*** you

Now baby, baby, baby

Why you wanna, wanna hurt me so bad?

(So bad, so bad, so bad)

I tried to tell my mama

But she told me, "This is one for your dad"

(Your dad, your dad, your dad)

(Yes, she did)

And I was like, uh

Why?

Why?

Why, baby?

I love you

I still love you, oh

F*** you!

Said if I was richer I'd still be with you

(Ain't that some sh*t?)

With a f*** you

Source: Cee Lo Green - F*** You Lyrics | MetroLyrics  - Cee Lo Green - F*** You Lyrics | MetroLyrics

77paris Platinum 12 Reviews

Very, very curious and seriously odd promo attempt. I am not sure whether to scoot over to the Atari camp or the X-Box camp (lyrics from the signature song). A lounging CeeLo is not what I was hoping to find behind my door of choice either!!

Also Speechless.....

abane@pvi.com Platinum 2 Reviews

This is the only sweepstakes game I've ever played where I'm actually relieved when the game freezes.  The whole experience is just creepy.  I feel like I'm watching a remake of Twin Peaks...midgets and apple pies made more since than this game!

missgee Gold 35 Reviews

Wow.  Just.... wow.

I received my email invite 30 minutes ago.  Color me stupid for clicking.  That was the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed.  Not to mention aggravating and annoying for chewing up 100% of my CPU space!!!!!  !!!!!

Gah!

I won't be clicking on that link anymore.

I see the word "uncomfortable" was mentioned a number of times.  That's exactly how it made me feel.  Super creepy.

Now I'm going to be weirded out whenever I have to stay at a Renaissance. 

wardini Silver 13 Reviews

I don't really care how weird it is.     Just give me more keys and let me win something.

nycuws10025 Platinum

What exactly is Marriott trying to sell here?  My first exposure was an absolutely bizarre experience! 

Somehow I can't say I have a lot in common with break-dancing hipsters, twinks with purple hair or overweight black guys in dressing gowns crooning "hey! stay!"   And that was just the first three doors.  I didn't even end up playing all my keys - I had seen enough.

My take?  If that's the clientele that hangs out in Renaissance Hotels, then it's not the place for me to stay.

Boy did Marriott marketing mess it up with THIS promotion.  Oh wait!  Marriott marketing always seems to mess everything up, so I guess this is completely in character.   I begin to wonder if Marriott marketing has been infiltrated by someone who actually works for Hilton or Starwood and "the plant" is working diligently to destroy Marriott from the inside?

I would be damned before I would tweet anything about this contest to anyone I know - they'd all think my account had been hacked!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 19 Reviews

Wow...I must be getting old!!

Definitely the strangest Marriott contest I've seen.  Which Renaissance Hotel is this suppose to be?   I think I want to avoid staying at that one.   I do like free Marriott perks...so i'll play...it gives me something to laugh at each day.  =)

ks77 Gold 20 Reviews

Hey All,

I am not a geezer, I am in their target audience and I think this whole thing is stupid. I am not going to barrage my friends and familys' facebook accounts to do Marriott's marketing work for them. I don't use twitter because honestly I find it totally useless. It is always fun to try to win a prize but honestly the odds of winning are so small and the amount of effort put forth to play is so great that I am not going to waste another second on it. I really like Renaissance hotels and will continue to stay at them but I just had to add my two cents and agree with most that this is confusing, time consuming, and in the end kinda dumb.

77paris Platinum 12 Reviews

I have to agree...I am very open to new experiences, caught somewhere between geezer & target audience. I truly tried to play the game and enjoy but it is creepy, weird, absurd, odd, unsettling.  The room where the person is blowing the brown dead leafs off of the Marriott bed is probably the creepiest to me, but there are many that are just too weird.

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

It is a totally weird and confusing ad/contest...but like ssindc, "I'm a moth drawn to the flame".

almightytora Silver

FYI: You can use 15 keys per day (by collecting and not opening doors).

Just played today, and when I saw the same losing video twice, I decided to stop.

Also, it wasn't the usual three people who had keys (pink hair, cowboy with fake mustache, magician), it was only the nervous looking guy in the gray suit on the far left.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
      merb Marriott Associate Member

Nice catch, ssindc! Also love the use of your emoticons. Haha. You make me laugh. I am going to share the typo though. Thanks!

Oh, my, this is just simply too rich!!!  It just dawned on me that, just before midnight, our helpful and cheerful colleague, merbthanked me for my posting, and then the Marriott censors blocked the same post!  Obviously, the censors were in rare form, since we've now established that they deleted a number of my late evening posts, including an innocuous poll that I created about carry-on luggage!!!!  Conversely, all references to Renaissance pitchman CeeLo Green and his song, F*** You, remain unscathed - see above...  Go figure!!!!  [Let's just hope they don't start censoring MERB!!!!)

I'm tempted to sign this post Jasper....

I received a response from the moderator! You were right. It was our mistake. There was a lot of spam happening on the site, and the moderator got a little loosey goosey with the delete button. Your post was not intentionally deleted, and the moderator has promised to be more careful in the future. Sorry, ssindc!!! Our bad, this time...

yuck, yuck...  merb, apology accepted (particularly since you THANKED me for the post before they deleted it - how can I be angry with you???), but I refuse to try the game again, even with codes offered by eggerbovet, below...  it's just too weird for me...

eggerbovet Platinum 1 Reviews

ssindc I just won the Have a movie marathon prize. I don't think its based on any level of marriott status (even though I'm a platinum member) b/c I won on my email address that isn't linked to Marriott at all. Also, here are 5 codes I was able to find on FlyerTalk

AH962

KB824

QW956

HB344

ZX787

Good luck everyone!

freqlink Member

Just created an account to let people on this thread know that my wife won the First Prize National trip!  She got the confirmation letter today and we'll be headed to Palm Springs in the spring!

From what everyone is saying, and what she told me, it's definitely a strange game.  Mannequins and CeeLo and rap battles and clowns on the walls.  She also won the notepad and pen during another play.  It's cheesy but the quality of the pad is nice in that it's leather-bound. 

So from this Hilton Honors guy, thanks to Marriott and Renaissance Discovery Doors for an awkwardly interesting game that will send my wife and me to the desert in a few months!

ps, the game did not require any association with Marriott or Rewards Insiders to play.

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Congratulations freqlink on your free Palm Springs trip and thanks for joining the Insiders community. How exciting!!

Let me know if I can help with anything as you find your way around the community. And please share your photos and experience with your prize.

erc Platinum 1 Reviews

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, freqlink. Perhaps now, an United Silver who became a Marriott Gold thru the infamous Reciprocal Perks Trade can win the Lifetime Free Marriott Lodging Contest !

Oh well, so that you don't think poorly of your fellow travelers - here's hoping you guys have a terrific time .

Congratulations

Wahoo! Congratulations, freqlink! That is SO exciting. I hope you'll share photos from your trip here on the Insiders community. We would love to see them!

freqlink Member

Thanks everyone!  I'm sure we'll have a great time in the desert, and I'll be sure to post pics of the Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa in Palm Springs/Indian Wells.

It's been 7 years since I've been southwest and my wife has never been west of Arkansas so I hope she'll appreciate the brown landscape in the Coachella Valley.  I personally can't wait to visit Joshua Tree and make the drive over the mountain to San Diego   7 days to explore!

As a thank you to this community and Renaissance, I'll be sure to stay at Marriott properties on my next stretch of work travel...and hopefully learn some more about the Lifetime Free Marriott Lodging Contest.  That sounds like a great opportunity!

texasvoyager Platinum 21 Reviews

Wow, and I thought it was just me that didn't 'get it'.

freqlink Member

I hope spring is treating everyone from this thread well! 

My wife was contacted last week by Discovery Doors and we have our itinerary set for June 11-17.  Unfortunately we requested a couple different weeks each month from March through May and the resort was full.  It's definitely going to be a hot one with an average temp of 107 in June in Palm Springs.  eeeek!!

I just wanted to come back and update everyone about the progress of game and the rewards.  The agent said she was also going to see if she could get the parking fees waved since this was a sponsored prize.  So i'll only be out the valet tips.   What is great is that my wife also recently won a luggage set and a $500 gift card to Macy's.  So she'll have free new clothes to put in her free new luggage to go on her free trip.  And I have enough rental car points to get a free car for the week.   Should be nothing but relaxation and fun.

I have not been to Palm Springs in a few years and that was only for one day for work, and another few times just driving from Phoenix to LA.  Does anyone have recommendations for things to do in and around town?  I know I want to go to Joshua Tree and drive the curvy road through the mountains toward San Diego.  Other than that I'm still on the hunt for fun.

I'll be sure post a couple pics in the summer.

Safe travels all!!