8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 3:17 PM by jack613 RSS

Reward Certificate

d_cugia Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any other possible use for a reward certificate for a free night to a category 1-4 hotel if the Marriotts that I am staying at in Monterey or San Francisco do not have category 1-4 hotels? In other words can I use the certificate to get a discount for a room in a category higher than 1-4?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reward Certificate
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

The category specific certificates are pretty rigid. Cannot be upgraded with points. Cannot be extended. (The Chase Marriott certs have been extended.) Your frustrations are not isolated. I believe folks in the Boston area have the same challenge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakersfan Platinum 17 Reviews

I have not figured out any way to do what you want to do.  HOWEVER, I have been surprised by what some Marriott Rewards agents have done for me in the past!  It is worth calling and asking.  I would approach it like "could I pay the difference in points between a Category 4 certificat and a Category 6 certificate?"  If they say no, just ask if there is anything else they can do to help you?  I would give it a try.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Nothing wrong with trying-i have had plenty of help from MR. However, according to the folks at Flyertalk, this is one thing that Marriott has held fast. Its been a challenge because of how many properties have moved up from a Category 4 to 5. (Likely due to these certificates because categories are assigned based on location and reward redemptions. When the world has a bunch of Cat 4 certs-theres going to be a lot of cat 4 award stays.)

ip241au Platinum 1 Reviews

The category 4 rewards certificates usually get you a Fairfield  Inn someplace, not a full service Marriott or Renaissance.

jack613 Silver

there are full service marriotts which are cat 4.   for example 7 in virginia 6 in texas 4 in ohio  4 in california etc. just not in all states. same goes for renaissance.  it really depends on where you live and where you are traveling due to them not being widespread throughout the states.

jakeal Platinum 11 Reviews

jack613,

Thanks for pointing that out.  While the increase in the number of properties moving from cat 4 to 5 or cat 5 to 6 is not great, there are definitely still some good properties out there in which to make use of certs.

jack613 Silver

we would probably all love to see some really nice,solid cat 6 properties come down to cat 5 so that the certs can be used for those hotels.

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry, but I category 4 is the highest level on the certificates. The best value I usually find for certificates is usually a Residence Inn.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...