41 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 2:37 PM by iahflyr RSS

Platinum elite lifetime status

203elec Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

How do I find out where I stand with respect to reaching lifetime status?  I knw I have enough points and probably enough years, just not sure about the total number of nights.  Is there a place when I log into my account where I could find this?  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum elite lifetime status
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You can find the number of nights you've stayed since you join MR in your online account under review account activity.  In order to be certainly of the total number of points earned you have to call customer service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

203elec Platinum

Thanks.  I am guessing that I will need to talk to Customer Service as well to find out how close I am to the 12 years.  Your reply is appreciated!

There is no requirement for 12 years.  https://www.marriott.com/marriott/rewards/elite-benefits.mi

203elec Platinum

Interesting.  I think a call to Marriott is in order since my account shows 1,100+ nights and right now I have 1.5M points (and I've used plenty over the years, so I know I've earned 2M or more).  Most points were earned as "meeting planner rewards", but I wouldn't think that should make a difference.  I'll report back once I get an answer from Marriott on this.

ansaa Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for jumping in here so quickly, IAHFLYR! You are absolutely correct - 203elec, just as it was previously mentioned, you have to call the Rewards service desk and they'll be able to help you out.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

marybr,

You have to get up very early in the morning to beat IAHFLYR to the table!!!

painedplatinum - Ha! I'll be sure to keep that in mind!  I will say this though - since I'm still a newbie in the community,  sometimes having someone beat me to the punch with a response is a great opportunity for me to learn something new.

painedplatinum,

The only way to get up before me is to have me drink all night long, even then watch out!

ravnwyng Platinum 2 Reviews

Call Marriott Rewards. They will total up ALL of your points and let you know where you stand.  I just found out that I need 136,000 points to achieve my PFL; which, I guess, now also gets you United Airlines Silver Elite status for as long as you are Platinum.  YES!!!

erc Platinum

That brings up a good question.

Does lifetime platinum status at Marriott mean that we earn, in effect, lifetime silver status at United as long as the reciprocal program exists?

I know what I think the answer should be, but common sense isn't so common anymore when dealing with rewards and points programs.

give that one a go ansaa  , thank you.

madmax Gold 6 Reviews

there is no such thing as lifetime silver with UA as that is the lowest elite status

erc Platinum

That's ok by me whatever they call it, what I really meant was - under the terms of the deal that Marriott and United cut, would Marriott lifetime platinums be granted United silver status until the death of the participant or the program , whichever came first.

madmax Gold 6 Reviews

oh THAT's what you meant . In other words, statement made no sense?? you must have just wanted to chime in erc...like me!

erc Platinum

I'm puzzled by your response. I wrote a question - we Insiders do not know definitively the answer (or at least I couldn't find one). I want to hear from Marriott   that lifetime platinums earn United silver status whether or not the Marriott individual earns gold/platinum status (which is different than lifetime) annually.

I used the term, 'in effect' because I didn't know the various levels of United, because like yourself, I would certainly grab silver if it's there for the asking (especially given the cost of the trade). I am both a platinum and lifetime platinum, but won't be for long, thus the relevancy of the question for me.

I would like to think Lifetime Platinum would be the same as Platinum with regards to this trade, but as I wrote, common sense isn't so common, as demonstrated by the explanation that the gift cheques were ended because the maker of the cheques went out of business along with other non sequiturs issued.  That's why I requested (and continue to request) ansaa to check with the decision makers and provide a formal response.

madmax Gold 6 Reviews

well I can certainly see where you would be puzzled since it was my bad in the first place, thinking you were talking to the board in general and not asking a legitimate question but more of a flippant one. If I had known you were directing the question to marybr I certainly wouldn't have made fun...apology accepted?

erc Platinum

It's all good madmax, we need as many 'villagers' as possible and you're one of the better ones. Keep on keepin on, my pal.

madmax Gold 6 Reviews

villagers as in YMCA......YMCAA?? Thanks

Hi erc - I appreciate your patience while I looked into this. It is to my understanding that there isn't an ability for a Lifetime Platinum from Marriott to get an equal lifetime status on United.  Does that answer your question?

erc Platinum

Thank you.

ravnwyng  take note, I was hoping like you above that lifetime would get us silver each year - but apparently not.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

From what I read on the T&Cs you will get Silver (and Gold the other way) each year assuming you're still the same status w/ the program you signed up w/ (as long as the mutual program continues, that is).

Cheers.

erc Platinum

Yes that's how I interpreted it also, but it's only a hopeful opinion, (the info I've seen all say Platinum and Platinum Premier - which begs the question; is Lifetime Platinum considered Platinum - for this program). I'm lifetime platinum who is a 75+ night platinum this year, so I'm covered. But next year due to reduction of Marriott nights courtesy of the erosion of loyalty benefits, I'm dropping to gold or less.  I would love a definitive Marriott answer, but of course can live with just waiting and seeing until next year. It is relevant to me, because like IAHFLYR mentions, I fly to a lot of Bodunk type places (many which has several econ plus seats always available) watching college and minor league baseball games and econ plus is better than nothing. Oh well

ERC.  I don't think it is optimistic. But you raise a salient point as to whether or not there is a difference between earned status and emeritus status. 

I am still about 100K points away from my lifetime Platinum status.

Do you know if, when you log in to your account, it shows a different status for lifetime Platinum, as opposed to "earned" Platinum?

Thanks.

Just spoke to Katherine at the Marriott Rewards desk and she said, in no uncertain terms, that Lifetime Platinum is, indeed,  Platinum, and as long as you are at that Platinum level, you will receive the Silver Elite status from United.  Therefore, lifetime Platinum will, perpetually, get you Silver Elite status on United, on a year to year basis, as long as you are alive and the partnership is in effect.

Yipeee Kay Yay......!!!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ravnwyng,

Great news!

I love your comment, "As long as you are alive"!  That really does help!

Again, thanks for your post!

erc Platinum

Hey, that is good news. The answer of course makes my concern moot, but as an fyi; in prior years when I dropped below 75 nights my account still labelled me a platinum (my concern was over some recent discussion in Insiders about the issuance of elite cards which treated lifetime plats with current actual annual plat status, like I am this year, differently from those lifetime plats who didn't accrue 75+ nights for the year, which I will be next year, given this year's stays).

Confusing as heck, oh yeah, so I appreciate that you took the effort to track down the answer - due to my inartful phrasing, I had been 0 for 5; speaking of which, communitymanager and ansaa , I've gotten the answer, so no need to respond back to my request.

From what I've read of this horrid partnership, if you are Platinum of any sort with Marriott all you get from UA is a kick in the shorts called Silver Premier which means NOTHING!  Okay, a free checked bag and the CHANCE to get Econ+ at check-in and on day of departure maybe a comp upgrade to FC.  As one who has flown this new UA often and has been a high end FF in MileagePlus, Silver is not going to get a thing other than the bag checked for free unless you fly from PO-Dunk to PO-Dunk as there are so many high end Premier folks.  My trips from IAH-PHL used to have 70-75 Premier Access folks most of which where 1K, Platinum and Gold, most of my IAH-DFW flights the entire plane was Premier and you had ZERO chance of any upgrades on either flight.

erc, just sign up and enjoy more UA folks in the CL who have never stayed in a Marriott during their entire life.  Say hi to them and thank them for taking your upgraded room on the CL level as well as your free breakfast seats in the dining room over a weekend.

erc Platinum

ansaa   Ok, once more with feelings. Let's not use or even think the word lifetime as it relates to United silver.

Here's the question;

Do Lifetime Platinums (who do not meet the 75 night threshhold) get United Silver?

Thank you.

IAHFLYR - trust me I hear you, I view econo seat at check in, however low a shot, better than nothing (if it was a great deal, then the incremental value probably wouldn't be worth the effort - but in a terrible deal, you always try to walk away with at least something).

erc,

God bless her, she has walked into a hornets nest with this partnership nonsense......my guess is yes, bet UA says NO!

Ya know what, I'm on a few UA planes this coming week and I may just take a poll at the gate, HOW MANY OF YOU ARE SILVER AND GOT INTO ECON + OR UPGRADE TO FC?  That's a sure way to head off to airport prison.

erc Platinum

Whew boy, you keep it up and we're going to have to call an exorcist, I think my dark side doppelganger dejamo has taken over your body.

Enjoy your weekend and stay off of CNN next week on your United flights.

I'll stay off CNN for sure, I get to go through Pre-Check so no issues with the TSA, at least not yet.  Then, first flight is SkyWest as UA Express so it will be great....got 1A, the rest are all CO planes/crews booked on purpose so all is well at least I hope. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I could not agree with you more. I love when I am at O'Hare and when they make the boarding announcement there are 30+ elites on a flight. When there are 8-16 FC seats, assuming its not a RJ with fewer or none, a silver will NEVER get a FC upgrade.

All depends on the city pairs, but take IAH-PHL for example on the first flight out on Monday morning.  The upgrade list would often have 75-80 names on it and many Global Services, 1K or Platinum folks made the walk of shame to coach. Even had it been a 20 seat FC in the 800's with the mid lavs or the 900's that would not have made much difference.  Silvers, enjoy the free bag that you check and pray it ends up where you are to meet it.  Remember the famous saying, "an airlines last chance to disappoint the passenger is baggage claim".

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Wow, that is too funny!

The last chance...........!  Never heard that one before!

Maybe now it could be, "When you pay your bill for all the luggage, drinks, pillows, etc"!

Some people are never satisfied.

You are so wrong, it is not funny.  It is so ridiculously hard to earn any sort of status on airlines, with their requirements being raised all the time, that being given Silver Elite status on United, equates to Star Alliance Silver, which, in turn, gives you 25% more miles earned on your flights, with a minimum of 500 miles per segment, and the free bag check ($25), which are hard, fast and great benefits, to those of us who do a lot of regional flying, but not enough to get 25,000 actual miles flown, or get to 30 segments and $2,500 spend on the tickets.  If you think that these benefits are an insult to you, then just don't enroll in the offer; after all, it is beneath you.

You seem to be complaining because you can't get upgraded to First Class on every flight you take.  Well, here is a news-flash, "YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD".

Your stance is arrogant, self-centered, and utterly egotistical.  Your reference to  PO dunk to PO dunk is insulting, as well.  Are you just unaware of how you come off?

Truth be told, this is the best deal and benefit that the Marriott Rewards program has yet to give to its members.  It shows genuine appreciation to its top tier members. I, for one, am very grateful and say KUDOS to Marriott and United.

This, coming from a Platinum Premier.

ravnwyng,

WOW, did I ruffle some feathers or what?  Actually, I don't think the benefits are an insult at all they are worse.  I completely believe they are simply providing UA Plats and higher the ability to swoon in on Marriott at Gold level which is a huge slap in the face to those who have been loyal to Marriott Rewards and strive each year to be Gold.

We are all entitled to our opinions however; it would appear you don't like mine which is fine.  I will only tell you that I'm not complaining a bit about upgrades on UA, truth be known I am one of the lucky Premier folks who has been upgraded on just about every flight over the last 15 years of flying on CO and now UA.

I certainly don't wish to come across a you refer, but again we all are entitled to our opinion and I'm sorry to have offended you.  Enjoy the rest of your day, and no I won't be posting my status with UA on this post.

Sorry, if I misinterpreted your post.   I don't think that granting people Gold status is them "swooping" in on something that others have to earn, any more so than the Platinums  and Plat Premiers  swooping in on the Silver Elite status with United.

BTW, once you have status with United, you can call other Airline programs, in case you don't fly on Star Alliance and ask for your status to be matched.  Now, this is usually done only once every few years, but still, it gets you status on the airline you want to have.

This is not a small perq  to be poo pooed.  That was my point.  Sorry if I may have overreacted and read into your comments more than necessary.

Worry not, and accepted.

Status matching usually comes with some restrictions such as you have to fly a certain number of flights/miles and now possibly spend at a dollar level to maintain that status with another operator.  My point is Silver with UA is okay if you don't fly from HUB cities like ORD, IAH, EWR, SFO....etc., but hey you may find yourself in FC when you least expect it. 

Yes.  I spoke with the Marriott Rewards desk and they confirmed that Lifetime Platinum status is the same as Platinum status, for the partnership.

dejamo Platinum

What a croc

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Apologies for the delayed response to this thread, but I was surprised - when I arrived home last evening - to open my mail and find a new PLATINUM ELITE LIFETIME card (apparently to replace my annual lifetime Platinum Elite card).  (It's a little strange, because it came with the 2103 Platinum Elite Member Benefits brochure - I think it's basically the same one I've seen in the past - but it had a different letter/greeting on the inside cover.)

To the extent that - as I understood it - most of us assumed/understood that - so long as we maintained our current platinum status (or the highly controversial, and thus, not-so-coveted platinum premier status), there was no reason to know or care about lifetime platinum status - I guess I was surprised to receive the card.  But, who knows, maybe everyone else has already received one....

ssindc,

I've had my card since maybe March or early April I believe.  We have to have the card to show to the front desk associate to see if they'll offer us a "thank you for being Lifetime Platinum" lol  At times I wonder if they have any idea what that actually is as far as loyalty goes?