48 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2014 7:42 PM by yellowbird RSS

Rewards Account Hacked

killercat66 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone else had their Rewards Account hacked in the last few months?  I had my account hacked and they stole over 1,100,000 points.  I actually check my account almost every other day and checked when I got an e-mail that my address had changed and I didn't do it so contacted Marriott within a few hours of this happening.  They were able to stop the transfer but its been over 9 weeks and i still have not gotten my points back into my account, which caused me not to be able to book a trip for my daughters college graduation present to Hawaii.  I am Marriott Platinum for life and I travel every week for business and so upset over how i have been treated that i have stopped staying at marriott and until this issue is fixed i will continue to stay at other hotel chains.

Has anyone else had this issue and how long did it take for them to fix this and give you back your points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards Account Hacked
    lakersfan Platinum 17 Reviews

I had a reward charged to my account two or three years ago what was not mine for the SpringHill Suites in Seattle.  One call to Marriott Rewards and they took care of it while I held on the line (took about 10 minutes).  The agent called the hotel that I had not stayed at while I held and cleared up the problems.  My points were back the same day, I thought it was great service, but it does pay to monitor accounts - hotel, airlines banks, credit cards!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

richard37075 Platinum

I had my address also changed about 3 weeks ago.  I immediately changed it when I got the notification from Marriott email and changed my password.  Luckily I didn't lose any points.  After reading another post about this, and them confirming that Marriott has known about a "small" number of hacking issues that have occurred I contacted Marriott customer support.  They blamed me and my computer security.  I couldn't believe that they were blaming me when I have the highest security and malware software on my computer.  My network is totally secure.  They only place that my network might not be secure was at the Marriott properties that I visited in the past few months.

When I asked who I could contact to ask about this, she again blamed me and that it was absolutely not Marriott's fault but if I wanted to question further I could write an email and complain.

If Marriott knows this is an issue they should at a minimum send out an email blast to communicate with its members to let them know to change their passwords.

bwaytrek Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for posting this. Last week, 500,000 points were deducted from my account and a laptop was ordered from Skymall. At the same time, over 4000 emails were sent to my email account.Luckily I caught the Skymall order. I called Marriott right away and they were very helpful. 

missgee Gold 40 Reviews

Oh my goodness.  These stories are horrible!

Killercat66, did you ever get your points back?

nertes Platinum 4 Reviews

can a PIN be added via the website, or only by calling?

Thx.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I did it by calling.

Cheers.

keepitmoving Platinum 1 Reviews

I also added a pin.  BTW, Marriott needs to strengthen password rules on the site.  It does not allow symbols in your password, only alpha - numerical passwords.

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

The funny thing, keepitmoving, is that my old password before I changed it today had a comma in it -- but I could not add any non-alphanumeric symbols to the new one. Really funny.

Wow, I just had this happen last night.  Discovered the hack today when I received an email stating a purchase had been made and points deducted from my account.  When I called Marriott they said the email and mailing address on my account had been changed and a 285000 point purchase was made on Sky Mall. I live in GA and the address was changed to Seattle, Washington.   I also began getting thousands of emails from an unknown source in my email account last night.  It's a miracle I saw the 1 email indicating a purchase was made, it came the next day.  I likely missed the email stating my info had been changed due to the number of emails I received when the account was hacked.  I have to complete a theft affidavit tomorrow and have it notarized.  Watch your accounts and email.  The next time I get flooded with emails I'll know to carefully review all messages no matter how tedious it may be.  It may prevent me from having a bigger headache later trying to get my points back.

ekearns Silver

My account was hacked yesterday and over 300,000 points were redeemed.  I received an e mail from Marriott rewards saying my e mail and mailing address were successfully changed.  This tipped me off and I immediately went into my account and found my balance diminished.  I called right away and was told that someone hacked into Marriott rewards accounts.  The auditing department is investigating but for right now...until the audit is done they cannot put the points back.  I better get my points back.  Cannot understand how it is so easy for a hacker to change e mail and addresses.  Marriott better tighten things up and replace all points which were stolen.

ekearns Silver

This is criminal on Marriott's part...a fraudulent purchase totally the fault of Marriott occurs and it takes weeks or months to put the points back.  No this has to be fixed!

fatbully Platinum

Yup, someone just stole 1.2 millions off my account today as well.  I have reported to Customer Care/Marriott Rewards and they sent me an affadavit for me to fill in to get my points back.  What a pain!!!

I just sent it back.  Got my bank to notarize it so it wasn't too bad.  I'm hoping to get my points back soon.

Killercat66 did you get your points back?

fatbully Platinum

I called MR on Sat and sent in my affadavit right away.  I called today and asked for status and they said they will credit my points back but there is no time estimate how long it will take them to do so.  The MR representative was very helpful though and told me he will follow up with me again on next Monday to see if my points are credited back.  Will see. 

twsaving Silver

I called Marriott today after sending in the affidavit last week. I was told the points may not be back for weeks but I was assured the points will be back. We will see...I am surprised there has been no formal news coverage (cnn, fox, cbs, and etc.) on this problem. If Marriott still insists it is the account holders' fault, we will have to do something to make Marriott to change its mindset!

fatbully Platinum

This has been in the IT security news for more than 2 weeks already but have not been caught up in the major media yet.  http://www.securityweek.com/marriott...-hack-attempts

If people are providing affidavits, it's ridiculous that Marriott will take weeks to redeposit the points after they've received the affidavits.

Cheers.

carol925 Platinum

My account was hacked today - email address changed, physical address changed from CA to Louisiana and 450,000 points redeemed on SkyMall.  As with others, Marriott first indicated that someone had hacked my account, but later in the conversation admitted that there have been multiple instances of this occurring in the past 60 days.  I was told that the points will be returned to my account within 2 days, assuming that Marriott was successful in contacting SkyMall to stop the transaction.  We'll see!

fatbully Platinum

Just got the following email from customerservice@skymall.com today (I filed my affidavit last Saturday).  Let's hope that we can get our points back soon!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for shopping with the Marriott Rewards Redemption Store hosted by SkyMall. We regret to inform you that your order for the item mentioned below will not be fulfilled. This may be due to a request from you to cancel the order or may be due to a Merchant discontinuation of the item.

Any points deducted from your membership account for this purchase will be credited back to that account. Please allow 24-48 hours for the point credit to be applied.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you would like to order another item, or if we can assist you in any way, please visit us at www.skymall.com/marriottrewards, e-mail us at customerservice@skymall.com, or call us at 1-800-493-3278.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Hopefully, yours is the only e-mail that would have been sent to and not the new one to which they tried to change your e-mail address.  With the rudeness of the CS to killercat and with some of my past experiences on other issues, who knows?  But it's obvious with all that's going on that it wasn't killercat's computer security that was at fault.

Reminds me of that info that was stolen by someone who took the info home for the government workers whose identities were stolen.  Marriott needs to be looking at someone inside.   

fatbully Platinum

Well, 48 hours has long passed since I got the cancellation email from SkyMall last Tuesday, yet I still haven't got my million points back.  I called MR today and they said somehow the ball dropped and they've never got a notification from SkyMall to process the credits.  I doubt if they've ever proactively inquired Skymall to help me retrieve my points back.  I'm getting extremely annoyed and frustrated with MR now .

The same is the case for me.  Got an email on August 6th from SkyMall stating the order was cancelled and I would get my points back within 24-48 hours.  Guess what, no points yet.  I sent Marriott an email, guess what, no reply yet.  Hilton Honors is looking really attractive right now!

twilliams10 Gold 4 Reviews

Reading these comments is very disturbing. I will now monitor my account and change my passwords. I wish all of you luck in recovering your points and hopefully this hacking is very isolated- check your other online accounts. it's also concerning to think MR would blame the members...

ansaa Marriott Associate Member

All -

Thank you for continuing to bring this to our attention.  If you feel that your account had somehow been compromised, we recommend letting our Marriott Rewards customer support know.  Again, we appreciate you keeping us informed on this issue.

fatbully Platinum

What we would like to have is to get a progress update on how Marriott is addressing these recent hacked events.  What has Marriott been doing to help affected members like me whose accounts got hacked?   What is the status of the investigation?  Has Marriott been activating any incident response plan and contacting the appropriate authorities for these criminal activities (or should individual members contact the authorities themselves)?  Has Marriott implemented stronger security controls on their IT systems to prevent future occurrence?  We need to be informed as well but yet we haven't got any update on how Marriott is handling this matter. 

Very valid questions fatbully.  No offense to marybr, but the onus should be on Marriott to keep its members informed & let us know what action(s) they're taking to address the problem  - not the other way around.

Cheers.

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Sure, good questions. Here's also a link to our earlier information on the subject: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/87728#87728

There have been attempts to hack into Marriott Rewards accounts using emails & passwords stolen elsewhere, so we've contacted the proper authorities and the vast majority of attempts were stopped - and our member’s accounts are secure. Our data protection and privacy teams are actively implementing a series of protocols to provide further security and will continue to be vigilant as technology and threats evolve.

If anyone is not clear on how to change your password, see these screenshots and instructions or call Marriott Rewards Guest Services at 855-501-6802 for assistance.

Hi Andy,

Could I ask that you pass on to the IT team two things:

1) Please don't send emails that really look like phishing -- the part about me not being one of the compromised accounts immediately sent up red flags for me and I closed my browser; and

2) Let us keep or create complex passwords with other than alphanumeric numbers plus sometimes capital letters.  I suspect one of the reasons I was not hacked was my password was very long and complex, with a punctuation mark. But when I had to change it today it would not accept the same punctuation mark.

I have not been staying often at Marriotts anymore, so my points balance is low though I'm still Gold.  But for all the others out there, especially people with hundreds of thousands or millions of points, please allow them (or force them) to make long passwords with either punctuation or at least one capital letter.

Ironically I find that when I'm joining some totally useless and innocuous site they make me go through the weird business of copying the letters, numbers and punctuation I see in a box (which is often completely indecipherable and takes several tries).  Yet here I have to dumb down my password in order to change it.

PS I read just yesterday that QWERTY is still the most common 6 letter password as is 1234.  Duh!

ProfChiara

thanks profchiara, will do.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 3 Reviews

I have not had mine hacked that I can tell, my points have not been deducted from my account except as I had used.  I think part of this should be pointed at the MR security team as a "root cause" for not allowing complex passwords for the site.  They do not allow special characters and do not seem to point folks to longer passwords.  A basic 6 character alphanumeric password can be cracked using password generators pretty easily   Maybe making the passwords for the site stronger would help with these issues. 

Exactly, Zukracer!  My old password, before I had to change it was five letters a comma and 4 numbers (historians can do good passwords).  When I changed it today I couldn't use the comma.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

My account - thankfully - has not been hacked so far as I can tell either.  I was forced to change my password by Marriott however, and what a royal pain in the you know what.  I have literally hundreds of passwords for hundreds of websites.  With all of the different rules for password creation from site to site, it can be frustrating (and in particular, I'm speaking to Marriott's not allowing special chars).

In the end and after some frustration, I did successfully change my Marriott password, and let me tell you, it's not one I'm likely to forget, if you catch my drift.

I truly hope everyone who was hacked gets their points and certs back as soon as possible.  It should be a very high priority for Marriott in terms of customer service, but guess what?  Well, if you knew my new password, you'd understand. 

twsaving Silver

my points were refunded today. hopefully those of you that were affected will get your points soon.

yellowbird Silver

We just discovered someone use over 900,000 of our reward points to stay in Marriott properties located Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando.  The Marriott representative had no idea who requested the transactions.  There was nothing recorded on our records.  Really?  There were no address changes involved and we had a pin number.  We filled out a form at their request and are expecting our points to be restored.  From my experience with Direct TV passwords and PIN numbers mean nothing if it is an inside job.

bpelican Platinum 45 Reviews

That's unbelievable yellowbird.  Hope you get them back.  Thanks for your post.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That's terrible, yellowbird !!

I imagine you'll get your points back, but Marriott has a problem, as do we all with this going on.

misterchk Platinum 23 Reviews

Here one that's stranger than fiction - BUT TRUE!

A few months ago I'm sitting in front of my TV and at my desk (in my home office) checking my email.

Lo and behold there is an email from Marriott confirming my reservation that night (using points) at the Woodland Hills, CA Marriott (about 5 miles from my home) - Now it didn't take me long to realize I didn't make the reservation (LOL) and had no idea who the person was who was listed as the  guest.  But, it was made under my account and by the time I saw the email the fraudulent guest was safely (for the time being) occupying the room.

I telephoned the hotel and advised them of the fraudulent booking (and usage of my points) and they conferenced me into an office back east that, after a few security questions, verified that I was who I claimed.

To make a long story short, the fraudulent guest was told to leave the hotel (with the police in presence to arrest her) and it appears that she was a member of a prostitution ring that had this number to call to get a discounted room.

ALL TRUE - The Rewards office said this was not an isolated hacking and place a special layer of security on my account. 

Today I have no problem going on line and booking a hotel of dollars or points as long as it is in my name.  If I desire to put the reservation in the name of a friend or relative I must call Marriott and give them a password that will allow the change.

I GUESS MY ANSWER IS, YES I GOT HACKED!!!!

bpelican Platinum 45 Reviews

What a story misterchk.  I guess I'd better get more vigilant about this problem.  It's a good thing you were on top of it from the beginning.  Thanks for your post and I hope this never happens to you again.

Indeed -

It's a good thing you were on top of it from the beginning

While on the subject of account security, or maybe for a good chuckle, here's a list of the worst passwords of 2013 - Yep, The Most Common Passwords Of 2013 Are Kind Of Idiotic.

Clearly anything other than these passwords is a good start and then varying passwords by site is a good practice. But the good news is that more and more sites are now requiring longer and alphanumeric passwords which will hopefully soon make this list obsolete.

iahflyr Platinum 25 Reviews

What a great list, I was told to use many of them when it was time to change the password back in the early days of the government giving me a laptop.   Now that was a mistake, but you gotta love those government techies.

Two of my favorites are "password" and "111111"

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

That was a good article, and in fact at our last department quarterly meeting at work, we reviewed password security, and the tips were pretty much the same.  The problem with not using the same passwords on various devices, platforms and websites is obvious.  Even with using differing variations of the same basic or root password, I have to maintain a spreadsheet of userid's and passwords (yes, it is password protected) for all of the various password protected wesites and services that I utilize because I have literally hundreds now.  At least when I first started using passwords and came up with my "base" or "root" it wasn't a dictionary word.  What a pain it would have to be to go back and change all of them (which aren't even 100% identified in my spreadsheet, though I try to keep up on it.)  I can't imagine having to retrieve, utilize and maintain hundreds of passwords, all of which are randomly generated, upper, lower, numeric, spec char (in the interest of the best possible security) and between 12-14 chars long.  Then again, maybe if I did, I'd have a better brain.  Maybe.  Or not.  Though I'd be better protected.  For now, knock on wood, crossed fingers, say a little prayer for me.

So if passwords should never be the same from one site to another for the best security, what does that say about utilizing fingerprinting or retina scanning?  Hmmm.  Not a security expert for sure.

This is where it is really great to be a historian.  I can conjure up some year in the ancient or medieval past and think of an event or person (who usually has a foreign name), add a punctuation mark and I have a memorable (to me) yet hard to hack password.  Most of mine are also about 14 characters long.

yellowbird Silver

As a followup, it turns out the theft was of far less, just under 300,000 points.  The email associated with the account was an old one I do not use anymore.  I went back and looked through that email account and there were no confirmation emails whatsoever from Marriott.  I reviewed my account activity for the past year and found two Marriott's booked consecutively just miles from my home.  I called and was able to confirm that a woman had checked in at one of the two using my last name.  She paid with a prepaid credit card and cash.  MisterCHK's experience makes me wonder if I too was the victim of a prostitution ring.  Interestingly, the rewards point withdrawals were made the day before check-in.  If I don't get an email confirmation, how am I supposed to stop the transaction in time?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...