41 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 2:50 PM by iahflyr RSS

Courtesy Lifetime Elite Level To Companion?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Marriott not offer a spouse, significant other or companion of which you name to have the same Lifetime Elite level you have reached as some airlines allow? 

After traveling over a million miles on Continental Airlines OnePass program my wife was able to be given the same level of Elite status that I held, never falling below a Gold Elite regardless of how many miles/segments I or her flew in a calendar year.  The new United Airlines MileagePlus program offers the same status and it's nice for her to be able to use that level of Premier when she travels alone.  I believe Marriott should also provide this same benefit to who ever it is the Lifetime Elite member designates for times when they may travel without the actual Lifetime member. 

I'd love to hear from the communitymanager on this or if it has been previously put on the table.

Come on Marriott bring us some level of value for our loyalty since you have devalued our points this year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Courtesy Lifetime Elite Level To Companion?
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Do any hotels offer that?  Not sure you should single out Marriott.

BTW - not everyone is supportive of spouses getting same level as the elite on United

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I'm not very supportive of anything on United, but was on Continental for sure.  My issue is I'm sort of vested for lack of better terms within their FF program so have to use all the junk up and was thinking why not at hotels!

Only picked on Marriott because that is my loyalty program just as United is mine for flying.  Any reason why not single them out skiadcock?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Great suggestion, IAH...I'm all in on your idea.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

This sounds reasonable to me.

It seems pretty simple to do without much cost to the hotel system, or am I missing something here?  Maybe our communitymanager has some thoughts on this idea?

Marriott never leads the way on things, so don't hold your breath. All the other hotel chains would have to do it first and so far none have.

Spouses geting same status is a sore point w/ some United elites vis a vis  taking away upgrades from other elites, so it could potentially be the same here.

Can't speak for others, but much higher on my priority list w/ Marriott is getting points for incidental spends on brands that don't currently have it, such as Ritz, Edition, CY, SHS. No excuse for that. If one can charge to the room, one should get points.

Cheers.

uclalum Gold 2 Reviews

i understand the opposition against spouse matching on an airline with limited first class seats. But have you ever been to a club lounge that was overflowing?  My experience is that they tend to be deserted more than crowded. Sometimes so deserted it is depressing. Just you sittinthey're alone drinking alone. With two or three attendants hovering, waiting for you to set down your glass so that the catrace it away and ask if you want another.I wouldn't mind seeing a few more spouses traveling alone in the lounge

We must go to different JW, Rens & Marriotts!  All the ones I stay at the lounge is always busy/packed (at least in the evening; I rarely make breakfast) with sometimes people standing w/ a drink or plate in hand trying to find a spot to sit.

Cheers.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAH,

Like NU, I agree, so I will just say, "Me too"!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'll take freebie too!  Not sure how practical the idea really is, but I'm all for freebies.....

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Freebies are always nice - although I doubt anything labeled "courtesy" would be turn key , but the Rewards program and Elite benefits are structured for individual recognition.

Only individuals are eligible for Rewards Program membership, and each individual may maintain only one Membership Account. Corporations, groups and/or associated entities cannot enroll as Rewards Program Members.

Rewards Terms and Conditions

Benefits of Elite Membership are reserved for Members only. As proof of eligibility, a Rewards Program Membership Number is required when making reservations.

Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions

Freebies also reward those loyal to the program and show something for long term loyalty above and beyond the lifetime elite which would be nice, but hey we get breakfast so who am I to complain!

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

I always thought that my Marriott rewards points are transerrable to my wife on my death.  It is not the same question which was asked(rewards level) but in my opinion a more important one.  Is my assumption correct?

AFAIK your assumption is correct.  I think there's some paperwork involved.  I know the topic has come up on Flyertalk before.  You might want to do a search in the Marriott forum (or on Insiders in case it's come up before).

Of course if it isn't correct, just make sure your spouse has your MR # & your account password so she can make award reservations after you're gone

Cheers.

erc Platinum

Yes, spouse (or domestic partner) only, not kids

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/41582#41582

communitymanager

I'm pretty sure that IAH and most of us on Insiders know what the T&C for elite membership are regarding for member only.  But I think he was asking if his suggestion was something that might be considered as a possible change.  To simply quote the T&C and scratch that valid suggestion off your list as not worthy of consideration is somewhat rude and dismissive.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 3 Reviews

Interesting about the airline award, having made it to the million miler status on American, I can tell ya they don't offer that same feature.  I do get the option of giving that status to someone for a year when I reached a certain level of points/miles annually though.  I have other choices, like system upgrades, free admirals club, etc but its only good for the coming year.  Did that perk remain after the merger with Continental for new folks or was that a "grandfathered" bit that doesnt exist anymore?

With the hotels it would be nice for sure but I have found that if I make the reservation under my account, even with a different name (my wife, parents, etc) they are given the same "status" perks as if I checked into the property, including upgrades.  Maybe that's the oddity and I don't do 100s of them a year by any means but so far its been pretty much 100% success on having my status apply to reservations made by me online in their name.

I can see challenges to it, especially from point earning/use across multiple accounts.  If they could expand lifetime member accounts to include a spouse/partner line, like a credit card company issuing the same card with two names it would likely side step all their challenges.  But with point valuation constantly on the decline and the bonus points being issued based on status level, I cannot see any one allowing folks to double dip status points.  I think the ugprades/freebies/etc at the properties are less the concern as they really don't cost that much.  Just my 2c worth.  Maybe it's something they could add to the lifetime profiles ONLY to have cards with two names, same address listed (just like a credit card) and allow paid stays to credit the account accordingly.

zukracer, I think you've got some good ideas here.

Yes those are great ideas, and zukracer the status for spouse or significant other was a perk with CO not sure about UA, but it carried over so my wife will keep the same status as I have never below gold for either of us.  Just makes it nice to have since I can book separate itineraries for us without having to fool around with mileage transfers from one account to the other and we both get the same level of Premier regardless.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Another perspective, but along the same lines,

My parents didn't join Marriott Rewards until (and as a result of) they purchased their MVCI time share.  Being old fashioned and not knowing any better, they created the rewards account in my (step) dad's name.  It turns out, other than staying at the time share every year, my step dad doesn't travel.  It's my mom doing the traveling, the reserving, staying, paying with the MR credit card, etc.  Whenever I have to do something unusual, like splitting up a previously made reservation into two reservations on points, or transferring points (because my mom and I travel together quite a bit, and split the cost in terms of points between "their" account and mine), Marriott requires my stepdad's approval, which means he either has to get involved with the paperwork or talk to someone on the phone, etc. and believe me - he doesn't want the hassle.  In terms of hassle, it would be nice to have two names (for marrieds) on account, or at least an "authorized user." I'm not sure what will happen when/if my stepdad preceeds my mom to the big Marriott in the sky.  I assume that then, the account will be transferred to my mom's name (same reward number, lifetime history, etc.)

walnutbaron Platinum 3 Reviews

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I fail to see why Marriott should consider offering lifetime elite status to a spouse just because a Marriott Rewards member has achieved that status. It is not an insignificant achievement--nor is it an insignificant giveaway by Marriott when it occurs. For the business and/or leisure traveler who has earned that status through years and even decades of loyalty, it's appropriate. But what if the spouse has been placing his/her loyalty with another hotel chain when traveling separately, on business, for example? Why should Marriott simply grant lifetime elite status to someone like that?

I'm with Marriott on this one, and I am grateful that Marriott recently streamlined its lifetime elite requirements. I'm within about fifteen nights of achieving lifetime Platinum status and looking forward to it!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Congratulations, walnutbaron.

I notice you're pretty new here as far as posting goes.

Are you signed up for the MegaBonus for this period? 

Hi eb,

Yes, I'm signed up for the MegaBonus--and with the reservations I have planned over the next couple of months, I will max it out   Congratulations to you for achieving Platinum status...how long have you been a Marriott Rewards member?

Actually, I'm not sure how long my husband has been a member.  He made LP last year or the year before last before the 12 year requirement was done away with.

I only signed up last year and I think I have a stay on it.  It's hard to give up the bonus points that my husband gets.  I don't know whether newbies can sign up for MegaBonus or not.  If so, I'm going to have to try to remember to make some reservations under my number.

Yes, 'newbies' can sign up for the Megabonus.  Log into your account, click on Promotion Central & the Megabonus offer will be there.  Register for it & you're good to go (depending on what the Megabonus offer is, of course).  Make sure you register by the deadline; you can't do it retroactively.

Cheers.

walnutbaron,

I grasp your point, but what if they haven't placed their loyalty with another chain and have had a MR account for years for booking meeting rooms/ballrooms and have been Platinum and Gold for a large percentage of them, might it make more sense then?

And yes welcome to the gang of MRI, I look forward to more of your insights and experiences. 

You might be in the minority on this thread, but I'm pretty much in agreement with you.  Status & staus bennies should go to the ones that earned it.

I certainly think it's valid for IAHFLYR to bring up the topic for discussion for Marriott to consider.  I don't see it really happening - primarily because the other hotel chains don't do it & Marriott is rarely the leader in implementing new things (Lifetime status being one of the few occasions).

The other thing is that, just as there was mixed reaction to UA's offering 'spouse equivalency' when CO took over UA, I think if it went into broad discussion on this thread & on FT & MP, there would be mixed reaction as well by Marriott elites.   As someone w/ close to 2 million 'butt in seat' miles on UA w/ no mileage runs & no credit card status earn (UA only ever counted BIS, unlike CO), I lost out  when the new UA decided to drop some I already had (CR1/RPU) for a benefit that can't be used by everyone - aka, those who were married.  There are 30-100 page threads on FT re: the change in the program & pros/cons, including the 'spouse' bennie (btw - the spouse bennie didn't offer anything to a spouse that might have already earned status on his/her own).

To me a benefit is only a benefit when it's available to ALL those of that tier.  For example, if an elite is single the spouse equivalency bennie doesn't apply but it could adversely impact the elite who earned his/her status.  No offense to those who are married, but I don't think it's fair that I as an elite might lose out on an upgrade because your spouse gets it due to your status (airline) or your status & checks in before I do (hotel).

FWIW  & speaking of airline only - I would have rather UA followed the AA method - choose United Club or RPU or spouse equivalency each year, because that would have been fair to all of that status & elites could choose which mattered most to them.

I wish IAHFlyer luck, although I think given the response by the communitymanager he might have already gotten his answer.

I'm on to my own windmills of getting the platinum arrival gift restored to what it used to be (which probably won't happen) & also getting points for incidental spend at RC, CY, SHS, Editions (which hopefully will happen).

Cheers.

Hey skiadcock,

I will completely support your windmill of getting the platinum arrival gift restored, so let's start banging that drum since the answer we already saw from the communitymanager is probably final even though I don't agree with it in the least.

As for UA, I only wish it was CO that took over UA rather than what the slimy guy running it called it, "a merger of equals".  Initially some UA folk may have thought it was all CO management however; all the flight ops guys are now UA people which helps explain in one word the performance of the two subsidiaries, pathetic! 

As for the benefit issue with them, it seems the UA benefits are given away from the silly credit card or some who decide now to buy Premier Access rather than have their butt in the seats as you and I did in order to achieve the lifetime status.  However; you won't worry about my wife taking your seat by checking in before you as we are still booking the right fare for the upgrade at time of purchase.   Get that 2nd million as I won't be hitting that mark so I'll make the walk to the back and wave to ya one day!   LOL

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

IAHFLYER

Nice discussion, cannot understand the premise of the 'fairness' of the concept, but can fully support and understand why it would be a very nice 'benefit'.  I have never once had a problem booking my wife's room using my MR # and having her receive all the benefits of my status.  As far as I am concerned, that's good enough for me.  I also thugh skiadcock just made a very important point about the lack of fairness in allowing a spouse (on their own acct) take an upgrade away from me.  Actually, that would be the epitome of a watered down program......  Terms like 'status' or 'elite' would be meaningless.  just my opinion.  

Now, about that breakfast issue...............

As a wife, I've never had a problem with upgrades using my husband's number, either.  Sometimes in the past, they did ask me whether or not he would be with me and then transfer the points to my name.  They haven't done that in a while.

Off-topic to Marriott:

Before the CO/UA 'merger' I was going for 2million mile status because it gave me Red Carpet Club, er, United Club for Life.  They took that away w/ the merger.  The only thing I'll get now w/ it is Plat Premier for Life, which I basically had before the merger & with a higher bonus than the current Plat Premier.  I'll eventually get to 2MM, but now it's a big 'eh'.  My upgrades have gone from 90% to 10% post-merger, btw, so maybe you, your wife & I can sit in the same row in the back.

On-topic to Marriott:

Since this thread has 'this question has been answered' at the top, I think Marriott's decided not to go w/ your suggestion IAHFlyer.

Once the dust settles on the breakfast/platinum change starting 6/22, my first windmill will be to get incidental spend to count on RC, CY, SHS, Edition.  To me it's absolutely ridiculous that you can spend $$ at those brands & get points for room only.  That impacts all Marriott Rewards members, not just elites.  I want to see what other hotel chains do w/ their myriad of brands & points earnings, given Marriott tends to follow the crowd.

My second windmill will be to get the food/beverage Plat amenity restored, although I'm doubtful that it will occur since Marriott is using the $10FB credit as a way to drive revenue to the hotel.  What I'm going to do short-term & property specific is let each property I stay at know my disappointment that they're not offering the food/beverage amenity.  If they say Marriott says to only offer the $10FB, I'm going to quote Michelle of Insiders that that is the minimum the hotel has to offer, but they can offer more if they so choose - ie, a) 500 points; b), $10FB credit, c) food/beverage amenity.

Cheers.

I was just wondering how the MR is handled with the Marriott vacation clubs since a wife has to sign the contract, also?

ssindc Platinum 41 Reviews

I just saw this discussion (wish I'd seen it before I posted), but it's tangentially related to the latest from United's latest announcement.

See: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/83778#83778

But, for the record, personally, I'd love to see my spouse enjoy my status privileges based upon my "lifetime" allegiance to Marriott...

uclalum Gold 2 Reviews

THis MR insider we pages is turning into just what I need....  Another forum a la flyer talk to distract me from work

2bzee4u Silver

Nice thought, but I would feel guilty by getting benefits I have not earned.  If my husband travels more than I do, he should rightfully get the quirks.  I know that Marriott is in business to make money.  I respect that, too.  Therefore, it is a nice thought to have a spouse get benefits, but I don't think it should be done.  These extra quirks will cost somebody some extra money somewhere down the line.  That's just my opinion.

That said, it is absolutely true (as has been mentioned above by eb on this thread) that--with a little extra planning and communication--I've been able to make reservations for my wife and prepay the room using my Marriott VISA card and allow her to enjoy my elite benefits when she's traveling on her own.

I guess the point is that the benefits of elite membership can be enjoyed by a spouse--just not granted outright to them.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the nice welcome to the community!

I just make all the reservations on my own and pay for them with our cards, e-cheques, or gift cards that were bought when extra points were offered when buying them.  You can buy those with your Marriott Visa and just let her use those if you wanted, especially when they have the specials, usually at the EOY.  I forget how many points were offered last year, but I think it was about 10 per dollar up to $2000.  Those who purchased them with there Marr. Visa really got a good deal.

uclalum Gold 2 Reviews

I Really thought you were onto something, eb, but then I read the t&cs, if we are looking at the ones (travel card):

1. Card cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate or other discounted/non-commissionable rates.
          2. Card cannot be used when reservation is booked by a travel agent or other third-party.
          3. ...Marriott Rewards® points cannot be earned with the use of this card.

I don't know.  I've never had any problems getting the points using the gift card.  That's after having used $400 of the card.

Not me.  I've spent the last 3 years living in the RI with my husband.  He had had back surgery a couple of months before he was asked by the customer to come here and needed me to drive in case his back started hurting too much.

It's also my "job" to drive back home to check on our home.  The other time that he was here for 5 years, I started driving here to see him on weekends so he wouldn't have to drive home so much.  At that time, he had a 2 BR suite at TPS, which is where we started out staying in Jul, 2010 before switching to RI at the EOM of that month.

Even when he was driving back and forth for those years, it was hard not knowing what to do with some of the problems / challenges that arose.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...