22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 8:32 PM by 808allday Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Marriott Vacation Club points and exchanging my home resort

bobbisam Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Yesterday I bought into the Club Point program.  I am a MCVI owner. Except for using the Marriott Reward Points; I have not been very happy with exchanging my home resort thru Interval.  I have tried to vacation in Hawaii for over 5 years; I am always (yes always) told there is nothing available.  KO Olina was where I wanted to go to be specific.  I have even asked Interval to find me ANY timeshare in the state of Florida that is on the water and was still told that nothing is available.  Looking at places in Europe looked too scarey to visit (not Marriott quality).  After reading the various tiime share owners and their vision of the Vac Club points, and things I never thought of I am ready to take back my deposit and forget about this club stuff.  It seemed like what I had wanted; which was to stay at Marriott Hotels and Marriott's Resorts.  I am not crazy about only being able to use 1 of 4 possibilites; three of which I can use right now and the 4th being the vac club pts.(all of which I have paid for.  Now I am paying MORE and can't use the value I originally bought into; now there is 1 option I can use and paying a fortune  to do it.  WHERE IS THE SENSE TO THIS????????????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Vacation Club points and exchanging my home resort
    californian Platinum 27 Reviews

I followed timeshare for a long time.  It had become considered something good when the Marriott's and other known names got into it.

The thing that financial people say is not to buy into those point type programs where you buy points and then use those points like money to pay for resorts.  They say that you should save your money and use it to stay where you choose and look for the best prices available.  Once they have your money, you are limited to what they offer you.  When Marriott started pushing Destinations is when it became less desirable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stevent Gold

This depends on perspective.  If you were able to enroll your existing weeks, you gained more.  Many people I know enrolled their weeks and how have access to lots of points per year.  Myself, I have the equivalent of 9225 points per year.  I don't always want to go to Vegas and I don't always want to go to Ko Olina.  I've been able to use my points to book other places.

Most recently, I've used my points to book into Maui, Kauai, Aruba.  I don't necessarily like to go to my home resorts every year, but now book 10 -14 day vacations at a time.  For the extra points that I have left over, I rent them out to others for about .55 - .65 per point.

For 2014, I'm not planning any big vacations as I'm doing them all in 2013.  So, for 2014, I'm renting out my points.  My maintenance fees are around $3500 a year, I've rented out 4000 of my points for $2600.  That almost pays for my maintenance fees for the year and I still have over 5000 points left.  I can likely get another $3000 for renting out the remainder of my points and then now I'm ahead by $2000 after paying my maintenance fees.

The Points program has been great.

Now, if you didn't own any timeshare to begin with and are just experiencing points, I'd likely say stay away or buy the minimum points possible.  Why buy more points and pay the up front cost when you can rent points from others and then avoid the maintenance fees each year?  There are so many strategies that one can use.  Just depends on what you really want to do.

a1912a@yahoo.com Silver

I agree with you Stevent.  We get very few points (2775) for the Grande Vista, and when Marriott implemented this program, it really de-valued our unit, as we are now not able to use the unit like we could before.   I know that when we purchased in 2001, they probably had no idea that Marriott would do this, so the allure of purchasing was really a good deal for us.  Now, it's practically worthless, as we don't stay at our home unit (on top of it, we now live near Orlando, and I work in Orlando - just down the road from Grande Vista, so I sure as heck don't want to go there for vacation!)  and we are almost unable to use the points for any other Marriott resort on a beach (unless we go in off season, and who does that?) and we are STILL stuck with paying the maintenance fees every year.   In our opinion, Marriott has really screwed over the owners with this new program - unless, of course, you own multiple resorts and can easily trade into resorts using all the points you get.

stevent Gold

I still think you can make good use of your timeshare.  While you only get 2775 points for the resort, you could also exchange your 2014 and 2015 weeks for points and you should be able to book at any of the other resorts right now with those points.  However, this does mean you give up use of your home resort for those weeks.  But like i've mentioned in other posts, rent the additional points you need for where you want to go from other owners.

Let's make your situation better by learning of the different ways you could leverage the new program.

prappa Silver 1 Reviews

This is so true - we own at Grande Vista and have a PREMIUM week.  We cannot even get into Grande Vista with the low value they gave us.  We just returned and they wanted us to buy more points for another $23,000. They are so untrustowthy that it is scarey - lacking scruples and honesty.

stevent Gold

If you want to go to Ko Olina, you need to plan at least 8 - 10 mouths out.  12 months would be even better.  Before I owned in Ko Olina, I used my Grand Chateau to exchange into a 2 Bedroom Island View at Ko Olina.  It is possible.  When I did this, I believe I only did it about 7 mounts out.  This was done through Interval.

Now, all of my exchanges are done through the Points program.  One thing you need to know about the points program is that you have to have the points before you can see if it is available.

If you're in the points program, and you want to stay at Ko Olina, let me know when you want to stay, the number of bedrooms, the view, how many days you want to stay, and I'll take a look for you and tell you what I see..

If you want to learn more about the points program, come to vacationpointexchange.com

If you happen to own other weeks and marriott allowed you to enroll those when you bought points, even better

bobbisam Silver

I appreciate your replys to my questions.  This gets confusing when you talk about renting points and buying pts  for 0.11-0.15 cent/pt.  I have a Marriott time share @ The Grand Vista in Orlando, Fl.  They wouldn't put the week of that timeshare on the club points.  I bought 2,500 pts thinking that would get me most of the places I wanted to go without taking  pts from the year after or before.  Now I understand that the points are in  250pt increments and I will lose 235pts if I only have to borrow 15pts from the next year.  Now if you want to donate your MVC into interval you have to pay $2300.  Who would do this anymore!  The whole thing is disturbing to me.  I rarely went to my home resort buy won't pay an insane price to dump my resort to exchange for another.  Am I missing something here?

californian Platinum 27 Reviews

Reading your post, you don't seem comfortable with Destinations.  Maybe, it is time to cancel and sell your Grand Vista and just get out from under.  If you exchange for another, you will probably have to pay more for it.  Why would you do that if you are doubting?

stevent Gold

Are you saying they wouldn't let you enroll your week into the program?  The only reason I know where they wouldn't let you enroll is if you bought the timeshare through a resale and that the resale occurred after June 2010.  If it did not, you should be able to enroll.  In fact, when you bought your 2500 points, they should have offered to enroll your existing weeks in the DC program for free.

The points are sold in 250 increments because that is how they designed the trust.  If you have to borrow points from 2014 for use in 2013, the remainder of the points stay with 2014.  I'm not sure where you're getting this idea of losing your points.  That's completely false.

What are you talking about with regard to MVC and Interval and $2300?  That sounds more like the enrollment fee for the weeks into the Destination Club program.  You can always sign up your own week through Internval without Marriott.

a1912a@yahoo.com Silver

Hey, my husband and I went to the same presentation in Orlando on May 4, and initially were convinced to buy more "destination points."   Our home unit at Grande Vista only gives us 2775 points right now, and it just isn't enough to go to destinations like Hawaii, etc.   Well, after doing ALOT of research and considering the added payment for the loan, added maintenance fees (in addition to the fees we pay for our home unit), we realized what a mistake we'd made.   I called today and talked to the sales rep, and then cancelled.   It is a HUGE ripoff, in our opinion.  If you buy into this program, there are so many negatives, it's hard to state them all here, but here are a few of them.   You are paying a premium price for the points if you buy extra points over what you get for your home unit.   We did pay the initial $595 to get into the program a couple of years ago. Anyways, if you EVER want to sell your points, good luck.  First of all, people that buy resale points do not get all the same benefits that the points program offers through Marriott's Land Trust - and don't forget that Marriott has the right of first refusal.  So, the points that you try to sell are not worth a whole lot - people that buy them can't participate in any of the extra programs (like the cruises, Marriott hotels, Explorer program, or any of the other special programs, etc) - the only thing they can use them for are for the resorts.  This was told to me today by the sales rep that sold us the points on Saturday May 4th.  SO, IF you ever decide to sell (which is your right as an owner), you are subject to Marriott offering you pennies for what you paid a premium price for.  Look it up - do some research.  And if you still can - cancel the transaction!!!    They have really de-valued our unit at Grande Vista with this program.   We decided to just save points and use it every other year, or, better yet, just use Interval.  We never had a problem using Interval.   Marriott no longer deposits their unsold units into Interval's inventory anymore, so it would be better just to rent a unit in Hawaii rather than pay for the points and maintenance fee every year.   Check out Redweek.com and you can find many rentals.

pilgrim37 Gold

Interesting.  We own one week at Aruba Surf Club and then about another 3500 points thru Destinations which we purchased during a stay in HHI.  We have never attempted an interval trade, but I had no problem swapping out my destination points (which also included roll-over bonus points for signing up) to get a 2-bedroom villa at Ko Olina in August.  I couldn't get Maui or Kaui during the dates I wanted, but Ko Olina was no problem.  I did book it 1 year out, which is what I always do.  I think it fills up 12-13 months out, so that could be the problem.  Because we book far ahead, so far owning has worked out very well for us as far as flexibility of property goes

stevent Gold

I love Ko Olina.  You bought 3500 points?  All I can say is wow.  If you ever need to rent out your points or if you are looking to rent points, shoot me an email.  But with 3500 points, you shouldn't need to.  Did you also enroll your Aruba week?  If so, how many points does that week exchange for?

pilgrim37 Gold

I bought 3500 points while staying at a Hilton Head MVC property in 2011 (had rented in a MVC property earlier that year near Disney and loved it).  When I bought those points, it wasn't an option to buy a week because they had rolled out the destinations program.  We used those points to stay at Aruba Ocean Club in summer 2012 -- that summer they were still selling weeks at Aruba Surf Club rather than points due to the vagaries of Dutch law -- at that time they had to do it that way.  So we went for it.  I can either go every summer to Aruba, using my week, and then use my 3500 destination points in addition where I want, or I can trade my Aruba week in for 3075 points and use the total of 6,575 points every year.  Not worried about renting them -- we use them! I am a cancer survivor (great prognosis, thank God), but it woke me up, so my family and I travel a lot now, working through the bucket list.  No more putting anything off!

stevent Gold

Awesome story.  I only bought 1000 points when the program first started as that was all I could afford.  But if I exchange my Ko Olina and my Grand Chateau, I end up with 9225 points every year.  I've been renting my points as it offsets a lot of my maintenance fees and yet still allows me to take a pretty nice vacation.  This year, with the 35-40% off deal for Kauai Lagoons that was offered last year, I booked 10 nights, Ocean view for my in-laws, and then booked another 10 nights for my family.

Without the discount, i probably would not have done it.

I'd say that as far as Timeshares goes, you get what you pay for.  But it's not 100% true if you can find the same timeshare in the resale market.  I'm looking to add a 3rd Marriott week but it has to be priced just right and it has to be at the right location.

bobbisam Silver

When I bought the points they did not say I could exchange my timeshare for points.  I MAY have changed how I feel if they had.  I went to deposit my tiimeshare for points and I now have to pay $124.00 just to get the reward points instead of using my timeshare.  The fees for everything keep going up.  It feels like Marriott is trying to change out the timeshares for the point system

a1912a@yahoo.com Silver

Hi BobbiSam - if you paid to get into the Destination Club, you can exchange your timeshare for points.   However, I note that in a prior post you have a Grande vista timeshare.  This is only worth 2775 destination club points.   We have the same circumstances.  We own a Platinum 2-bedroom with lockout.  We now have the option of getting the destination club points for our week (2775), exchanging it for Marriott Rewards points (110,000), using our week, or using Interval to try and exchange our week for a week somewhere else.  Nearly all the destinations at Marriott Vacation Clubs that are waterfront and require well over 3500 points (depending on the time of year, it can go in excess of 5000 points or more).   Essentially, if we want to stay at a waterfront property, or somewhere like a MVC in Hawaii, we either have to try to exchange it through Interval (fat chance of that since most Hawaii owners would no doubt take the points since they receive so many points for their unit) or bank our points for one year and hopefully have enough points to travel the following year.  As I stated in an earlier post, Marriott has greatly de-valued our Grande Vista timeshare with this new program.   Here we purchased a PLATINUM week at a premium price, with all the promises that we could travel every year anywhere we want to go - FOREVER - , and then they pull the rug out and virtually make it practically worthless unless you choose to stay at the Grande Vista.   So, you're paying maintenance fees for 2 years (~$2000) when you could no doubt rent a place cheaper than paying every year on the maintenance.   If you decide to sell the timeshare, the new owner doesn't get the points with it.   If you try to buy resale points from someone, you are taking your chances that the points may not belong to them; that the deed doesn't transfer properly, etc.; nor do resale points apply towards any programs with Marriott's Destination Club except for vacation club resorts.   Even if you buy extra points from Marriott (as we nearly did), you are STUCK with them forever, paying maintenance fees, etc. until you or your heirs don't want to pay maintenance on them anymore (which continue to increase year after year), and will have a heck of time if you try to sell them  -due to the facts I stated earlier.

bobbisam Silver

Have you seen how much you pay once you deposit your timeshare into interval---to use that to change for another place they want something like $3200 !!!  Marriott said that would happen but I thought they must have made a mistake to make it that unaffordable.  If it is ridiculous to pay for changing your home resort for somewhere else to go then what is the sense of having our timeshare at all,  I canceled the mistake I made of purchasing the  points; now I have the original salesman wanting to sell me less points; what is it about "cancel" that is unclear?!

lizbeth Platinum

I feel sad whenever I learn that one of my fellow MVC owners is having a negative experience when trying to get good value from their purchase.  We first became owners back in the 90's when Sam Lord's Castle in Barbados was a Marriott timeshare property as well as a hotel.  We bought a week, exchanged it through Interval a couple of times, and then received notice from Marriott that they were severing their ties with the property and giving us a choice of exchanging the week we owned there for a red week at Desert Springs (Palm Desert) or a week in Orlando.  We chose the former, and have loved owning it for many, many years. I often deposit the main unit and the lockoff separately with Interval, and can frequently exchange each section for a 2-bedroom unit in October.  That is not a red time period, but the weather is glorious and we love it.  We spend a couple of weeks at Desert Springs every year, and sometimes make an extra trip on a getaway.

We were so pleased with owning that week, that we purchased two weeks at Newport Coast about 10 years ago.  We have also added some Destination Points to our portfolio, so now have the equivalent of over 13,000 points a year to use--and, I might add--to pay maintenance fees on.  No small sum, it is true, but I have made a hobby out of managing our points as wisely as possible, and so far so good.  We have had some wonderful vacations, and are leaving for a Mediterranean cruise next week using Destination Points, then staying an extra four nights in Rome using Marriott Rewards Points.  The additional flexibility of the point system has worked very well for us, and the recent addition of the right to pay in part or in full for air transportation in an extra benefit.  I am still working, so we can't travel as much as we would like, but in a couple of years, I will certainly find ways to use our points even more effectively.  Flexibility is a key, of course, and for people with kids in school or with fixed schedules or very specific ideas as to where they want to go, the system will not work--maybe even most of the time.  And I feel bad about that for those who feel they were duped.

I just wanted to add my two cents worth to the discussion.  We are very happy owners, and have vacationed more often and more comfortably than we ever would have had we not become MVC owners.  As with anything, there are varying experiences and varying opinions, and I respect them all.  But not all of us are unhappy with our purchases, and are able to put them to good use.

bpelican Platinum 24 Reviews

Thanks for your post and positive attitude towards the points system.  We have had similar experiences with it.

spoonplugger Gold

I too want to thank you for your positive post. I'm also a premier plus owner and am very flexible with vacationing since being semi-retired. Being frugal with the DP's by staying in studios when possible or staying in a low season I've been able to travel for months instead of weeks. I absolutely love the flexibility that the "points system" allows. Thank you Marriott for the "Vacation Points System".

Jerry

tomd68 Gold 5 Reviews

Hi folks.  I'm late to the conversation, but I might be able to add something to it.  My wife and I were one of the first folks to buy into the Destinations program back in 2010 as they had just rolled it out the day prior.  Because of that I can't commiserate with the Weeks Owners, but something a co-worker said puts it all into perspective for me- Timeshares are not a financially sound investment, but they force you to go on vacation and invest in time for yourself and your family, and that's what it's all about.

For a weeks owner, buying into the destinations program may not give you a dollar-for-dollar comparative product, but it I tend to think part of the value is in the flexibility the program gives us. I've been to several MVC Resorts in the US, done the Ocean Explorer trips twice, heading to Kauai this summer, have plans to visit Marriott resorts overseas, and all done with a simple phone call, and no fees.  I haven't yet tried to trade into Interval, which I guess can be disappointing for some, but like my original sales person told us, planning early can relieve you of some heartache.  I've gotten used to looking well ahead to plan our vacations- reserving at the maximum time possible, in order to get what we want, and have yet to be disappointed.  We should be premier owners this fall, which allow us more flexibility, and more advance time to reserve.

Some have stated that other properties outside of MVC can be less than what Marriott offers, but that's because MVC spoils us- their resorts are the finest in the industry in my opinion.  A friend invited us to their Wyndham timeshare and when we walked in, both my wife and I thought the same thing- it's not as nice as MVC!

Maintenance fees?  Yeah, that part hurts, but we minimize that through a monthly allotment to a separate savings account- 1/12th of the fee every month that we never see.  When I write that annual check, I just remind myself that all the great memories I've had and will have, are worth much more than the dollar amount.

808allday Gold

I have to agree with all the MVC owners who have a positive view on the realities of MVC Destinations.  I own a 3bdrm at Ko Olina and a 2bdrm ski season in Park City and have only found headache and frustration with Interval if I ever wanted to go somewhere else (that I wanted to go to - not what Interval can put me in instead).  I always believed the best way to recoup my initial investment was to use my home resorts because I would lose value the moment I deposit my week with Interval (and I know there are some owners who feel Interval is great, but truth be told, it requires a great deal of flexibility that I don't have to get something I can use out of their exchange system).  In the beginning of Destinations being introduced, I was very leary of the whole thing and felt similar sentiments expressed by some bloggers in this and previous posts.  Marriott has never come across to me as a shady company and I own stock (that has done very well over the years) in both companies (MAR & VAC) and believe in their business strategies.  Let's face it, Marriot has pioneered many things that other companies in the industry try to implement.  Once I decide to give it a try, I never looked back!  I love the fact that I can still use my home resorts the older way but the Destinations points has also provided me the flexibility to get on vacations that I thought were previously impossible through Interval.  I gotta say I am a happy and satisfied owner and now feel like I belong to a country club of MVC resorts and vacations and confidently know that I'm no longer going to use interval anymore.  It's not nearly as convenient as Destinations affords me.  Thanks MVC!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...