11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2014 8:08 AM by debbiebrown RSS

Bermuda

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know if there is a Marriott hotel of any category in Bermuda or will there be one?  I love this island & would like to stay at a Marriott, if possible.  Any suggestions for good hotels there if no Marriott? Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bermuda
  • Re: Bermuda
    erc Platinum

rinny

I think you're out of luck regarding Marriott. Aah, the old Marriott Castle Harbour, very nice property. It was torn down a few years back and made into Tucker's Point. I can't speak for the property, which is well regarded (a friend stayed there and had an excellent time) but the location worked fine for me. I'll defer to others for your suggestions for other good properties.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, erc.  I hope I can get back to Bermuda soon.  I look forward to others' suggestions or insight if Marriott is planning anything there.

psudad Alumni Steward Platinum 3 Reviews

I am not aware of any plans.  I, too, stayed at Castle Harbour and played golf there, when my wife was pregnant with our first (25 yrs ago).  It was a beautiful hotel and grounds and the breakfast buffett was ridiculous.  Over the last half dozen years, I have been traveling to Bermuda on business and it has really changed from what it was a few decades back.  Most of the hotels I have stayed in are looking pretty tired.  The economy has shifted from tourism to international business, so there are more long term visitors.

Elbow Beach is a pretty nice property on the south shore.  Royal Palms is a small boutique hotel near Hamilton and over the hill from the Hamilton Princess.  Rosedon is also a nice small hotel, right across from the Princess.  They serve you breakfast wherever you like it - in your room, on the front porch, by the pool.

Or you can choose a location, like South Beach, with the beautiful Marriott, right on the beach!!!

Thanks, psudad.  I stayed @ Elbow Beach twice....many years ago.  It is a very nice property right on the beach.  What category & name is the Marriott Hotel? 

three3jss Gold

As far a Marriott property in Bernuda there is none. There used to be a Club Med resort on the St., Georges's side but that was gone a long time ago as well and just three years ago they blasted out whatever remained there as the haunted hotel. The area is very damgerous now since the whole town of St. George's has shut down and crime is everywhere. We stayed at the St. George's timeshare many times but with their economy sliding down and no cruise trattic now coming into the little town we were sad to see how many stores and restaurants had closed. We were told to stay away from donwtown at night, keep our windows and doors locked at all times and valuables keep out of sight or put in the office safe. Security was beefed up but who would want to stay there now? There are so many safe places to stay on the island on the otherside for instance Warwick, very safe and plenty of places to stay. We love the South Hamilton Princess, they do everything right there. Rooms are large, great restaurant just around the bend., beach, tennis, ferry to downtown Hamiltonian.

Message was edited by: three3jss

psudad Alumni Steward Platinum 3 Reviews

Fairmont owns both the Southampton and the Hamilton Princess.  I have been going to the island on business over the last six years.  Granted, it certainly is not what it was several decades ago.  25 years ago, there was virtually no crime, no unemployment and no homeless.  All three now exists.  That being said, it is still a beautiful place, two hours away from the Eastern US, where you can have a wonderful time - you just need to take precautions as you would anywhere else.  If you are staying along the south shore, in Hamilton or out Somerset way, there should be no issues.  Elbow Beach, Southampton Princess, Hamilton Princess, wonderful smaller hotels like Rosedon or Royal Palms in Hamilton are great.  Royal Palms has a wonderful breakfast in a very nice room and Rosedon, since they don't really have a main dining area, provides breakfast wherever you like - in your room, on the front porch, by the pool.  Pretty cool.  The Royal Palms also has a wonderful restaurant on premise.  Elbow Beach has a top notch restaurant, Lido, right on the beach and they have a wonderful small lounge up in the hotel, with great scotch and cuban cigars - and the beach is beautiful.  Stay off the mopeds.  I have lifelong scars from my honeymoon in '86.  And I used to race motorcycles in my youth.  The equipment is not great, the traffic is plentiful and a bit aggressive and there is sand on all the roundabouts.  Take the buses around the island or the ferries.  If it is late after dinner in Hamilton and the buses are no longer running, then take a cab.  Just expect to drop $25 each trip.

It is a beautiful place with warm, hospitable people - it's just not quite what it was.  But what is.  If you are still thinking about going and need restaurant suggestions, let me know.

goestoeleven Gold

Drat the luck! I need a 7-night stay and was counting on a Marriott. 
        I'm surprised (and disappointed), especially for business travelers, if not a beach resort.

debbiebrown Platinum 4 Reviews

I learned at our presentation last week, that with Premier status and the option to use Ritz Carlton properties....the Ritz is putting up a place on Bermuda! International Projects :: The Americas :: The Ritz-Carlton, Bermuda :: Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart

Thanks, debbiebrown. That sounds promising. I am a premier plus member of MVCI. So hopefully, they will include it in the Explorer Collection. If not, there are always lots of Marriott Reward points. Do you know when it will open?

debbiebrown Platinum 4 Reviews

No, I did not get a handle on that and have not found any other info. I did write to my presenter on if he had any other info. We honeymooned there and cruised there once. Have soooo wanted to get back...but...always wanting to do the Marriott of some sort. Fingers crossed!

Premier Plus, too....grin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...