27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2014 3:16 PM by seifertak RSS

US Marriott with best kids pool???

b_koutsky Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Looking to use points, stay in the US, and travel over Spring Break, but don't want the whole college Spring Break feel.

Our biggest criteria are:

*Awesome kid friendly pool- indoor or out, we don't care: Slides, etc would be great.

*Kid Friendly hotel restaurants

*Counter Service of some sort

*Cool kids activities on-site would be a plus

We just want a low-key, relaxing, vacation to hang out, swim, and not have to get all dressed up for over-priced, fancy dinners that our 7 year old won't sit through or enjoy anyway.

Please reply if you have suggestions.

THANKS!

Message was edited by: communitymanager

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: US Marriott with best kids pool???
    mharvey Platinum 1 Reviews

Check out the JW Marriott in San Antonio. Great pool with slides and lazy river.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I wholeheartedly second that! The JW San Antonio has an awesome pool complex...a huge lazy river that weaves around the beautiful main pool . Ten there is a water ride that ends up in the lazy river, and 2 super big waterslides for kids and adults. There is also a little kid area with shallow pool, spray areas, little slides, ect. And somewhere is an adults only pool(never made it there...we were all shaving too much fun ith the kids).

and for meals, i cannot remember the name, but it opens to the outdoors, and there is a large expanse of grass that the children had fun letting off steam once they finished their mealstand the adults sat back and enjoyed a glass of wine. They have s'mores at the fire pit at night, a pool table, kids club(we never used it), and a beautiful golf course. There is a Starbucks on site, for an inexpensive breakfast. We also had sushi one night.

IT is a gorgeous property, and out of all the Marriotts we have stayed at, only the JW in Egypt Mirage City beats it(in our opinion) with its wave pool!

b_koutsky Platinum

Did you happen to go over Spring Break?  We've never been to TX and I just assumed the temp would be hot.  Then I checked it out and April 1st high is around 69-70.  I called the hotel and they said the pool is heated, but I'm worried that is still too cold for hanging out swimming all day.  Any thoughts?

b_koutsky Platinum

Did you happen to go over Spring Break?  We've never been to TX and I just assumed the temp would be hot.  Then I checked it out and April 1st high is around 69-70.  I called the hotel and they said the pool is heated, but I'm worried that is still too cold for hanging out swimming all day.  Any thoughts?

WE went to the JW San Antonio couple of years ago, the first week of April, and it was 75-80 degrees, and perfect.  The pool is heated, so it was all good(Unlike many indoor pools in TX  and, really, alot of the US Marriotts we have encountered, sadly). I would keep your eye on the weather forecast. But usually the first week of April is pretty nice.

Otherwise I would recommend the JW Desert Ridge or the timeshare there. It is in Phoenix, and the timeshare has  as their own pool, plus they have full use of the JW, which is an older, but similar version of the JW San Antonio in regards to the awesome pool/slide/lazy river. I would think the weather would be good there. I have always wanted to go there, but now the JW San Antonio is closer to us....maybe someday.

THere is a JW in Orlando that has a big lazy river, and shares with the Ritz...also, I think(but am not certain) there might be a timeshare there, too.

WIth the timeshares, it is always nice to have the extra room when with family, they have inroom laundry machines, and you can make some meals on your own. They all have grills, so hit a nearby Costco or grocery, get some hot dogs, brats, steaks, drinks, etc, and have  laid back or gourmet meals...whatever you choose! And, they all have kids clubs, lots of activities, ping pong, pool, board games, movies, etc. with a family, they are great.

Good luck!

albonneau Silver

I live in Austin, TX (1.5 hrs from the San Antonio JW) and I've taken my kids there for several years.  DO NOT GO OVER SPRING BREAK.  It is a total disaster.  I'm am not one to embellish and I hate that this is my initial post to this forum.  It is so incredibly overpriced, overcrowded and poorly managed during that time it just isn't worth it.  I took neighbors with me for my first spring break experience there (after many amazing non-spring break ones) and it suuuuuucked.  My neighbors think it is the worst place ever and refuse to go back with saddens me.  I love the property, but this Marriott can't handle the influx they get at spring break (March).  We had 8 kids with us (3 families) and both restaurants were always full at dinner time with long waits...we ordered Dominos one night and ate by the lovely (unoccupied) fireplaces outside and had a "lovely" manager in high heels tell us this was not allowed.  We had to eat pizza in our small cramped room.  Both restaurants had 2+ hrs wait (no joke).  I avoid confrontation like the plague but I could not let this go and I had a nice long conversation trying to reason with her and I got deer in headlights "you can't eat outside food on our grounds".  RI-DIC-U-LOUS.  I am a Marriott kid - multiple timeshares with my parents, have my own, sold out on Marriott!, and this was the first time I ever felt like Whhhaaaaaaat?????  Where are your reasoning skills????  My experiences here non-spring break have been phenomenal, and the property is great, but avoid here in March at all costs.  Saddens me to say it.

b_koutsky Platinum

That resort looks AWESOME, but long rage weather forecast for there is only 67 degrees and possibly rainy the week of April 1st.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.  I actually called THIS resort and made a reservation and booked flights because it looks so AWESOME, but I'm worried it will be too cold to swim all day.

albonneau Silver

In March it can be very breezy which makes it feel a bit chilly by the pool - prairie land and nothing to block the wind.  Personal experience shows the kids aren't phased, but adults feel chilly.  Late afternoon feels great.  It is a crap shoot - you can get great weather or marginal weather, but I promise it won't be "bad".  You are protected from wind while in the lazy river. 

mharvey Platinum 1 Reviews

Have not stayed there for spring break. We went in June and it was pretty hot. It is the best place we have taken the kids. Everything Lakeshore said is right on the money. Also, if anyone with you plays golf, the TPC is connected to the resort. The TPC is the home of the Texas Open golf tournament.

We plan to go back this summer. I payed with points and they treated us like royalty. Can't say enough good things about this place.

Also, if you go, the Alamo, Riverwalk, Seaworld, Six Flags, etc are minutes away.

richard37075 Platinum

Not far from San Antonio, but the new Marriott property, Gaylord Texan has several pools, some indoor and some outdoor.  And one of the outdoor pools also has a water slide and lazy river.  The pool area was just remodeled in the last year or so.  I have not personally stayed here, but my wife worked for the previous Gaylord Entertainment in the Nashville area, and was always talking about how "cool" the new pool remodel would be.  It obviously wouldn't be much warmer though than San Antonio so this suggestion might not help all that much.

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center: Vacation Resorts in Grapevine

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Being in north Texas this time of year that will most likely have the coolest weather not the warm they are desiring.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

b_koutsky,

You might consider one of the Marriott Vacation Club properties.  I would recommend the Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando.  They have multiple pools, several restaurants onsite, and multiple activities for the kids.  They have 1, 2, and 3 bedroom villas available with kitchens and the rates are usually very good at this property for what you get.

Orlando FL Golf Villas | Orlando Golf Villas | Orlando Resort with Golf Villas

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

When is your Spring Break time?  A wonderful spot but most likely already full is the Marco Island Beach and Resort on the southwest Gulf Coast of Florida.  The weather most likely will be the warmest you'll find as often in the late winter month/early spring the Ft. Myers, Naples and Marco Island area is some of the warmest temps in the country.  The resort has two pools and a huge wide white beach, but not sure about the activities for a pre-teen child.  Worth a look for future travel if it doesn't work this time.

Florida Resorts | Southwest Florida Resorts | Marco Island Florida Resorts

ciruelos Gold 2 Reviews

Take a look at the Marco Island Marriott & Spa.  Amazing pool, memorable oceanfront restaurant (Quinn's), warm hospitality.  My 6 year old daughter always asks when she can return to the Tiki Pool to "be a mermaid again."

joev Platinum 2 Reviews

I suggest the Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix Arizona.  They have a great lazy river, pools, spa and great restaurants.  I have been there with my faimily three times already and going back again this year.  Great restaurants inside and around the property.  Also lots to do in the area but if you only want to relax then this is the place.

ohmark Platinum

Probably too late for this year, but the Renaissance Vinoy in St Petersburg FL is a wonderful property.  Great pool and tennis courts.  Four restaurants with everything from formal dining to a sports bar/restaurant.  Hotel on Tampa Bay in downtown St Pete, with various activities in walking distance.  Five major league teams spring training games within greater Tampa Bay area.  Busch Gardens in Tampa.  Legoland in Winter Haven.

gizafish Platinum 13 Reviews

In Florida, the JW Marriott at Grande Lakes has one of the best pool/relaxation areas I have experienced at a Marriott, and the spa is wonderful.  The Marriott World Center is close to the them parks and also has a lot of activities for the kids.  We stayed at the World Center last summer, and were upgraded to one of the bigger suites, with a connecting door for the kids in a standard room.  They really take care of the Rewards memebers at that property.  The guy checking me in even remembered be from my previous stay (on business that time).

Where did you end up going?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Have you seen the pool at the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes?  We really enjoyed it! (So, I agree with GIZAFISH wholeheartedly....)
    Discussion, reviews, and comparisons here:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/3434

spencerfamilyfun Silver 1 Reviews

Just wanted to let you know my favorite location is the Ritz Carlton in Marana, Arizona. Take a look at the site. The summer rates are very well priced from May- Sept. The pool area is fab. and is open 24hrs. The hotel is amazing. The flights are well priced too, at this time of year. Happy and safe travels, everyone.

jbassil Platinum

Hands down the Orlando World Center Marriott is THE best hotel for kids ages 3-14 .

phillyflyer30 Platinum 1 Reviews

I am surprised nobody mentioned Marriott Harbour Lake in Orlando.  Great pools for kids 2-8(Pirate Pool , another pool with nice waterslide(have to be 42 inches), great activities, mini golf, playground, fishing etc.     THe resort is compact which is nice when having to shuttle kids back and forth to the room.  In my mind this is a great resort for smaller children.  Older children(10+) may prefer a different resort.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I Second phillyfler30's recommendation.  We had 3 grand kids under 6 there and they absolutely loved it.  It was also low stress for the adults in keeping an eye on them.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Good luck.  I don't have much experience with Marriott pools, but the JW Marriott resorts in Phoenix, San Antonio and Las  Vegas seem to have nice pools (I just saw them though.  I didn't use them).  It does not have a slide, but the Santa Clara Marriott looks like it has a nice and big pool and the property seems to be very family friendly (the San Mateo Marriott seems to have a nice pool too; no slide though).

lakersfan Platinum 17 Reviews

One of the best that I have stayed at is JW Desert Ridge.  The pool complex is awesome and the Lazy River for tubing is just great for kids and adults too:

JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort Lazy River tubing.jpgJW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort middle pool.jpg

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Great pics. I should probably start taking hotel pics. I do take food pics. I haven't been at a pool like that since Jamaica (at a non-Marriott property).

seifertak Platinum

We stayed at the Renaissance Orlando Hotel at SeaWorld.  It had a wonderful water park  with 3 distinct areas on the property to include a "sprinkle, squirty, splashy" kid area, an area with 2 water slides as well as a pool area.  It was fantastic for my 5 year old who had us moving between all 3 area.  It was directly accorss the street from Sea World.  You could literally walk with 15 minutes from the hotel entrance to Sea World's entrance.  Loved it!  Highly recommend.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...