6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 5:57 PM by thetimmer RSS

New Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (black) card promo

thetimmer Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I received in the mail today a promotion for a Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (black card) promo. The spending bonus was upgraded from 50,000points to 70,000 and the anniversary night stay was expanded from Cat 1-4 to Cat 1-5 hotels. My problem: I applied and was approved on January 8th (today is Feb 14th) for the card under the old 50,000 / Cat 1-4 anniversary stay credit. I tried talking to a Chase person and they said if the offer was within 30 days of the approval they could've been able to do something. But 36 days has passed. No dice. Don't know if she was blowing smoke up my a$$ or not.

I will try and call Marriott Rewards on Feb 15th to see what they can do. Should I bother? Anyone here with luck getting upgraded to better offers shortly (or not so shortly) after they received a new card?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (black) card promo
    tef6178 Platinum 5 Reviews

As I recalll, in order to get the bonus you have purchase requirements that must be met before they issue the points. If you haven't made any purchases yet on your 'new' card, or haven't met the requirement for the points to be issued, I would call them and give them 2 choices:

Honor the card I have and extend the bonus points to the 70,000...or, I'll cancel the card and I'll re-apply under the new rules and get the 70,000 anyway.

By the way, if you call Marriott Rewards they will refer you to Chase with the usual....'we have nothing to do with the credit card' discussion.

In today's business model, everyone is trained to 'pass the buck' in hopes you will accept the diminished reward and go away. I'd hold their feet to the fire.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thks. I've gone past that $1,000 spent in 3 months condition so I'll be getting my 50,000 points soon but want them to go a step further and right semi-wrong. Plus, I would think that cancelling a card and applying for a new one doesn't really reflect too well on one's credit score.

tef6178 Platinum 5 Reviews

Well, the application for credit is an issue if a pattern emerges that you apply for credit a multitude of times over an extended period of time. That type of action will lower your score. A couple of credit apps don't mean diddly.

But, in your situation, it appears you have already reached the goal for the points. I would still call Chase and let them know of your displeasure (speak to a supervisor) and I would definitely push the button of the fact that in a month you have already met the requirement for the points. You can continue that pattern of spending or discontinue it depending on their resolution of the issue to YOUR satisfaction. The CUSTOMER has choices in what card to use and, in this case, I would most definitely let them know that the criteria has dis-advantaged you by 6 days and if they are THAT insensitive a company to their customers other card companies will be your choice for use.

I learned over the years that these 'banking' companies that issue these cards have to be dealt with in a manner that says 'get with the program or lose my business' attitude....as long as it is done with respect AND with a certainty that I mean what I say. I don't know how long your history of credit is, since I don't know your age, but I have found that my credit standing has almost always 'made my day'. But, I speak from a history of never having had a late payment on my credit file.

Good luck! Hope you get the points!

richard37075 Platinum

You could also just bank your 50,000 points and take out a new card with the 70,000 point bonus in your spouses name.  Then, once you get those points, you can have Marriott Customer service roll them over to your account since you can transfer points over to a spouse in order to make a rewards reservation.

proelite Platinum

i like that the card has no foreign transaction fees but does anyone know what the global chip is?

Update: I called Marriott and of course they told me to call Chase since they post up the points. So, I call Chase back and talked to a very helpful guy named Josh who said that they sent up the request to the marketing department and they should take care of it for me. No hint that won't happen but at the same time didn't openly say (other than marketing should take of it for me) that I'll get the extra 20K points. He did ask for the invitation number and offer code. There's hope yet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...