23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 10:55 AM by Sledchick RSS

What do you think of Marriott coffee?

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone-

At the risk of starting a riot, I need to ask this question.  I'm relatively new to MRI (joined about two weeks ago) but have been a Marriott customer for quite a while.  We are East coast people (mostly drink Dunkin' Donuts or Green Mountain Coffee) and don't particularly care for the coffee being served at the Fairfield Inns, Residence Inns, TownePlace Suites and Courtyards.  Those are the brands we mostly can afford to stay at, and I'm sure the coffee might be better at Marriott properties "higher up in the food chain."  My husband is an avid coffee drinker and this past weekend at a TownePlace Suites he refused to have the coffee at all.  Of course I was horrified and thought he might be coming down with something because he never refuses a cup of joe!  I have to say that personally I find the coffee slightly bitter and it's just not enjoyable anymore.  What does everyone else think?   Thanks ahead of time for your feedback!

-Sledchick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What do you think of Marriott coffee?
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Hi Sledchick,

Sorry to be of no help in answering this question as I can not even remember having Marriott coffee.

But they just about always have my green tea

Also, I have noticed alot of them have starbucks on the premises.

Off the top of my head I can only remember seeing them in the Tampa Waterfront, Downtown Philadelphia, so I decided to do an advanced query requesting properties with starbucks, and received a list of 207 properties.

You might to try this, if he likes Starbucks coffee.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

Hi back GemPrincess-

I have tried Starbucks before and find them to be more robust than I prefer.  They have just come out with a Blonde bean and I think I should give it a shot.  There have been some Starbucks on Marriott properties we stayed at (Orlando) but I guess because I'm a frugal traveler I'd rather have the free coffee with my breakfast.  I'm with you though -- I drink tea in the afternoon and evening, and can always find some to my liking on premises.  Thanks so much for replying!

-Sledchick

madmax Gold 6 Reviews

Sledchick,

If I don't have my coffee (two to three cups) in the morning, I cannot function so I know exactly what you are saying. However, I enjoy the coffee because I make it and then pour part of it out and add plain hot water when making it in the room. It is very good if it is diluted a bit. In the restaurant, I usually ask if they will add 1/3 hot water and it usually is no problem when they do not have the continental where you fix your own cup. In that case, there is a hot water dispenser so no problem. I do not like Starbucks or any other "strong" coffee because of the bitter taste, so that is usually my solution. When I cannot get any hot water, I usually add a touch of cream to take the bitter out but not exactly fond of that as I like my coffee black.

Another trick I have done especially when overseas because they don't do coffee well at all is take individual Folgers packets which are real coffee grounds in a teabag. I can leave in the hot water as long as I like and they make great coffee.

I hope this helps next time you stay at the Marriott and want/need that cup of joel.

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

Madmax-

Thank you for responding.  I had never thought about diluting the coffee!  What an outstanding solution.  I think you may have just saved my marriage, as well as my Marriott status.  My husband is a Hilton member and he had taunted me with the phrase, "Hilton properties don't have such bad coffee."  As I'm in charge of leisure travel arrangements we ALWAYS stay at Marriott but he was wanting to sway me to the dark side (Hilton).   No!  Never!  Well, almost never.  And that's a great tip about the Folgers for overseas.  Your answer was informative as well as helpful.  Thank you SO much!!!

-Sledchick

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Sledchick,

I'm a huge fan of the morning java ritual in general (perhaps addicted), but not necessarily a connoisseur of "good" coffee, I'm afraid.  Therefore, it doesn't take much to please me.  I like the coffee served in the hotel brands you've mentioned just fine.  I'm a black coffee drinker, but on occasion I will add milk at restaurants if the coffee is too strong or bitter (can't stand non-dairy creamers of any kind).  I find Starbucks not to my taste - too strong, too bitter.  One thing I love about the Marriott brands that offer free breakfasts, is that I can grab one of those tiny non-fat milk cartons out of the counter top fridge and pour some in my coffee.  Just love that.

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

I agree with your too strong, too bitter comment about Starbucks, pluto77.  And I too need coffee in the a.m.  Sometimes just the aroma itself perks me up!  -Sledchick

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Hotel coffee in general is nothing to write home about, and the in-room stuff is uniformly horrid (unless they've sprung for the baby Keurig machines).

Remember, boys and girls, if you can read a newspaper through it, it's not coffee. Trust me, I'm an expert.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Sledchick:

I prefer a slug of a Brandy nip early in the AM!.....JUST KIDDING!!!

I don't have any issue with the coffee served at the hotels but I must say I'm a happier camper when I stay at a Marriott with the Starbucks! I don't think any have a Dunkin relationship.

Being a transplanted New Englander after retirement, we don't have the Dunkin Donuts all over down here in sunny Florida (closest DD is 45 miles ) like they have them everywhere up north.....so my taste buds have adjusted to 'whatever' the coffee is that we get at breakfast when on the road.......

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

Well tef6178, isn't Bailey's just another form of cream?  I guess that's one way to make Marriott coffee tolerable.  -Sledchick

mi97tbird Platinum 28 Reviews

NOt the best coffee, but have had worse.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

SledC ... this is a difficult question to answer. 

I have found the coffee just so variable across the Marriott hotels that I have to do the 'taste test' at every location and, even then, it can vary significantly from batch to batch.  If it's not good, I go elsewhere for my coffee ... one major bonus about the USA is that you will be able to get good coffee somewhere close ... I never use the in-room stuff ... yuk!

I am very much a coffee fanatic and always grind the beans fresh at home ... I generally prefer one of the African peaberry varieties ... and I always drink my coffee black and fairly strong.  Grinding the beans fresh optimises the flavour.  One big mistake that hotels make when brewing coffee is that they pour boiling water onto the grounds in a cafetiere ... this scalds the beans and can make the coffee bitter.  However, using the pressure systems in the Gaggia style machines doesn't seem to scald the beans in the same way ... I don't understand how this works but it seems to.

Like tef, if there is a Starbucks in the hotel in the USA, I'll use it ... with an extra shot of course!  However, in the UK, Starbucks is 'taboo' as they have been avoiding paying their taxes via some off-shore manipulation ... so it's Costa for us here.

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

Hi chrisf-  I enjoy the freshness of grinding beans as well.  I'll have to try your African peaberry when I can find some in this rural place I live.  Thanks.  -Sledchick

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Chris,

Have you ever styaed at the Hilton Metropole, London? It is in the "Turkish" district, and has thousands of rooms. May be one of the biggest hotels in Europe. I have stayed there twice, and man do they take breakfast seriously. Have never seen anything like it in the Marriott brands within the U.S.

MASSIVE buffet, with scones, 5 types of sausages, blood pudding, and simply all kinds of stuff that many americans have never even heard of. Now that is one serious coffee (and of course tea!) emporium, which when it comes to fine breakfasts and coffee, always first comes to my mind!

I wish Marriott properties anywhere could come up with something like that!

-Al Be Craving London Breakfasts

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

you are making me hungry just thinking about it, and its not even breakfast time yet!!!

That breakfast is the BOMB!

I think the kind folks in Great Britain (at least England, or more specifically London) take a great deal of importance on Breakfast. That thing would be open from 5 am till around noon! That is 1/3 of the day!

No more "rushing" to make breakfast when you are there. More my style!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Here's the bigger problem.  No coffee.  Yup, the Courtyard brand has moved from the in-room 4 cup brew pot to the in-room single cup brew modules.  Additionally, they've abandoned the free coffee in the lobby.  So now, I get one cup.  My husband gets one cup.  Period.

First the Bistro Concept, now no free coffee.  I'm so done with Courtyard.  Too bad (both ways) too, because I used to like Courtyard.  I hate to be gnarly, but that's how I get when I am denied my coffee.  I was considering the CY for a possible upcoming maiden trip to Chicago.  Not any more!

iefpro01 Platinum 25 Reviews

I agree I no longer like courtyards. It is overpriced for the offering - and
      I hated the whole Bistro idea from the beginning. Free coffee and breakfast is
      a must in all business hotels - just saying... I no longer will stay at a
      Courtyard, even if that means staying at a Hilton brand.

Honestly, Marriott is really getting to where they no longer really pay
      attention to the elite member goodies either. Like when I stay at a hotel with
      a lounge, it is barely acceptable. I am slowly switching to the Hilton brands, because
      they take breakfast seriously, like fresh omelets and eggs to order!

madmax Gold 6 Reviews

I am with you Pluto but since I know how they are now I make sure when I check in that I ask for 4 extra packs. Then the next morning I leave a note for the room attendant for 4 more. Maybe one day they will get the hint and go back to the coffeemaker, but most always when I ask once the attendant leaves extra the rest of my stay.

HaHa!

Hi Sledchick!  I actually like the Marriott coffee. I always ask for more when available, and will leave a note for housekeeping to please leave a bunch extra with a few bucks under the note. The money factor usually resulits in leaving me a dozen packets or so.  Well, I am a big coffee drinker to begin with, and have always found the coffee (as well as the bath and body works shampoo and stuff) to be pretty good.

-Al Be Caffienated

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

Hey Al-

Thank you for your caffeine input.  I have to say I really like the Marriott toiletries no matter what brand hotel I choose.  And whenever I've asked for more (such as when we have several smelly hockey boys in the room and need more shampoo) they are happy to oblige.  Have a great day!

-Sledchick

toobusytraveln Platinum

Sledchick,

I know this is late, but realize that the TownePlace Suites may have GREAT coffee, but it was made incorrectly OR made into unclean containers.  A company like Marriott selects products that would quality and appeal to the majority.  In addition, as you see by the answers in the post, many people like different things.  There are dark roast coffees, light roast coffees, earthy coffees, acidic coffees, and more.  If the coffee was made correctly and made in clean containers, your husband may simply not like that blend. 

Sledchick Gold 9 Reviews

Hi there toobusytraveln,
      I, too have been busy (stayed at the Stamford, CT Marriott this weekend and really enjoyed a trip to NYC) so I haven't been able to respond to you in a timely manner.  Thanks for your comments -- I always think about how the coffee may have been made but kind of forgot that others may not clean their pots regularly.  One of my various jobs in high school was at a pie shop (there is your Sledchick trivia for today) and they had a very strict policy for cleaning the machines and pots.  To this day I maintain a regular schedule for cleaning my coffee maker and it does make a difference in the beverage taste.  The coffee at the Stamford Marriott this past weekend was great (I had more coffee that I should have) -- maybe that CL brewed it correctly and used clean equipment.  At the Toronoto Marriott Eaton Centre this summer I found the coffee bitter but I realized that "international" tastes differ from mine.  As for my picky husband, if he doesn't care for that particular property's coffee then he can run out to a local coffee shop and spend his own cash.  This seems to have helped our situation.  I appreciate your taking the time to respond to this thread -- safe travels!  -Sledchick

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...