9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2013 8:40 PM by techie RSS

Gaylord Hotels - Elite Benefits?

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know if the new Marriott addition - the Gaylord Hotels -- is honoring elite member benefits?    For instance Concierge Lounges, Upgrades, Welcome Gifts, etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gaylord Hotels - Elite Benefits?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

kroywen,

Good Question.  Here is a link to a FAQ page regarding Marriott Reward Benefits at Gaylord Hotels:

Marriott Rewards Gaylord FAQs   

Elite members will earn the standard points, nights earned credits, and room upgrades if available like at any other Marriott property.  I do not think Gaylord properties have a concierge lounge.  If there are any Insiders out there who have stayed at a Gaylord property since the Marriott Rewards transition took place on 10/29 please share your experience.  I have plans to stay at the Gaylord National Harbor on Thanksgiving Weekend.  I'll be sure to provide a review here following my stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I stayed there last year before it was associated with Marriott.   It's a wow of a hotel -- fantastic for children when it's fixed up for a holiday.    Unbelievable conference/convention space too.   Was hoping they would add a concierge lounge now

Have also stayed at the Orlando Gaylord.    They have an actual alligator farm in the lobby with a white alligator!

Definitely not a quiet retreat type of place, but certainly a must-see.     Much prefer the JW or Ritz Carlton in Orlando...they have one of the best spa facilities.

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks vaboywnder, Gaylord Hotels are participating in Marriott Rewards so members can earn points, miles and Elite nights, enjoy Elite benefits and redeem points for free nights at the Gaylord National, Gaylord Palms and the Gaylord Texan. Due to necessary system upgrades, Gaylord Opryland will join Marriott Rewards in early 2013.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Since one Elite benefit is free internet (which is a significant benefit in hotels that charge over $20 a day for internet), I would like to know how this is being handled at Gaylord hotels.  They charge a resort fee.  I don't agree with resort fees in general and theirs in particular since it includes benefits that an elite would get for no charge.

Any word on this?  As an asidie, I will not be staying in any of their properties until this matter is resolved satisfactorily. 

communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi techie – that’s right, Gold and Platinum Elite members will receive free internet at Gaylord Hotels along with a $5 discount on the resort fee for specific services or amenities.

Thank you for your response.  However, I'm still not clear on it.  For example, the resort fee in Orlando is $15 per night and includes as described below.

Gaylord Palms is committed to providing our guests with a robust array of amenities to ensure the best possible experience. A resort fee of $15 (plus tax) will be charged daily and includes: daily newspaper; wireless Internet access in your guest room and in public spaces throughout the hotel in the three atriums (St. Augustine, Everglades & Key West); in-room high-speed Internet access; two bottles of Dasani® water delivered daily to your guest room refrigerator; complimentary local and toll free telephone calls (up to 20 minutes); use of the Relâche Spa fitness center; complimentary scheduled shuttle bus service to Walt Disney World theme parks.

My wife hates Dasani water, so that's a non-starter.  Not going to use the phone calls.  I have a rental car so don't want to wait on the shuttle bus, and what if I were at the conference and not using the shuttle bus?

Seems like internet is the only viable benefit here.

Since they do not sell internet separately and I do not know of any hotel selling internet that that sells it for $5 a day (t is more like $10 or $15), I think Marriott needs to rework this formula.

I'm not really interested in this stupid game where they pretend to give you something for free and really don't.

Either give me the benefit or take it away but don't charge me $10 a day and tell me I"m getting "free internet".

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

many resort hotels now charge a resort fee- since i am almost always on business i ask them to waive the fee and most will do that for me.

its too bad that free internet would keep you from discovering wonderful hotels!  if you travel frequently you may want to get an aircard or enable mobile hot spot on your smartphone.  i find that is much more convenient, more secure, and i get service any place, any time.  i rarely use the hotel internet- even when free.

The Gaylord Hotels have fabulous Holiday events- if you get the chance you should check them out. 

Thank you for your response.

First of all, it is the resort fee that I have an issue with.  I don't care if they have free internet or not.  I don't want to be forced to pay for it because I won't, I have a SIM card..so free internet I will use...pay for, I will not.  Resort fees are cash grabs.

I'm glad you are able to get them to waive resort fees.  I asked them and they said absolutely not, that they even charge it to their employees who stay there.

As you can imagine, at  a technical conference, the internet gets pretty bogged down, so that would be a situation where they would be charging for a product they likely would not likely be able to deliver.

Not much movement on this.

Gaylord hotels remains on the blacklist as far as I am concerned.

The reason to be loyal at a brand is consistency - and although "Gaylord" is a separate "Brand", they are now, unfortunately, in the Marriott family.

When I was at the Orlando one, the service and food were certainly nothing spectacular.

The addition of a basically "zero benefit" resort fee is an extra kick in the teeth.

I've had colleagues stay at this and the one in Washington DC, they are on their blacklist too.

At least take away the resort fee, it is not honest to force guests to pay money for things they don't want or need. 

Imagine charging everyone for parking when everyone didn't need it.