19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 12:41 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Promotion Free Night Certificate (Cat. 1-4) expiration date extended

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings,

I want to report that I had an upcoming free night certificate whos expiration date was approaching (expiration date was 6 months from the date of issue).  I was unable to use the certificate due to obligations on our calendar, but didn't want to waste the award.  I contacted Marriott Rewards Customer Support at 1 801 468 4000 (8:15am - 9:00pm, Monday - Friday, US Eastern time) and asked it would be possible to receive an extension on the expiration date.  Marriott graciously re-issued the certificate with an expiration date of 6 months from the date of re-issue.

Thank you, Marriott!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Promotion Free Night Certificate (Cat. 1-4) expiration date extended
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto,

And you thought being a Steward was all work, no fun, just headaches.... How about getting that 6 month extension!!!!

PS...I think they give it to everyone

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?  Being a Steward has been joyfest!

Speakin' oove which, ool good things must come to an end, and sadly 'tis no different for meself... a new peliod of Stewaldship apploaches... wondelin' if me good friend PP might considere the honorle of servin' his felloo mates and maties with 'is fine talents 'ere on Insidahs ...

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Pluto,

I have had them do that for the Annual Category 5 that I get on the anniversary of our credit card, but I have never tried that with one of the free Category 1-4 that was expiring.  i will try that next time.  Thanks!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Pluto,

I took your suggestion & it didn't work.  I was told the Spring bonus 1-4 certificate cannot be changed So. I have to use it by 9/30 or I lose it once again.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I would try again closer to the expiration dat if you don't lose it. If that doesn't work, would suggest calling the Platinum line for further help! Good luck!

Rinny,

I am baffled.  I believe that the one that you want to extend is the same one that I was able to extend (Spring Megabonus 2012).  My customer service person did put me on hold while she consulted with her supervisor.  I do not understand the inconsistency between your outcome and mine.  If there are other factors involved, I can't imagine what they would be.  Is the decision purely descretionary?    If I were you, I would try again, exactly as Tef suggested.  Perhaps mention that an agent just did it for one of your fellow MR members.

This was one of the reasons that I created this discussion, to definitively let everyone know what Marriott will do for us where these certificates are concerned.  But after reading your post, it would appear that the answer to this question of whether or not Marriott will extend these certificates for us (with consistency across the board) still remains unclear.  Just curious, is this the first time you've requested a certificate extension?  Just trying to figure out the inconsistency.  If you call again, please let us know how it goes.

I would just be nice to know the rules and policies, wouldn't it?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Nice of them to do that! Enjoy the extension and the stay...wherever that may be....

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

I also called to try and get my certificate extended since we are taking a fall trip for my birthday in October and I was told that they didn't have a way to extend the date beyong 9/30.  I am a gold member.

Here were the circumstances of my request.  Called on Sept. 6th.  Cert to expire Sept. 30th.  The cert was actually already attached to a reservation for Sept. 28th.  I called and explained that while the cert was already attached to the reservation, I am requesting to have the cert. extended if possible, as items on our calendar would not permit using the cert. by the expiration date.  She asked to put me on hold so she could consult with her supervisor.  When she returned, she explained that they would be cancelling the cert. (not extending the deadline on that specific cert., but cancelling the entire cert.) and reissuing a new cert.  And that's exactly what I saw on my account activity:  the old cert (2012 SPRN MB FN CAT 1-4 THRU 9/30/12) was gone, and a new cert. (Promotion Certificate, Cat 1-4 hotel) was issued on Sept. 6th, with an expiration date of 3/6/2012 (6 months from date of issue.)  She reminded me to cancel my reservation on Sept. 28th (as the old cert. was removed from it.)  So I wonder if some of the representatives/agents just do not understand the process, and perhaps it's a training issue.  So again, they didn't extend my date; they cancelled the cert. and reissued a new cert.  Hope this helps.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

That must be the difference, Pluto.  I may try your way & make a reservation before 9/30.

wlewis612 Gold

i was able to do the same thing earlier this year. i found out i had a 1-4 expiring sometime in january, had nothing to use it for so i called to see if i could extend it 2 weeks, they gave me 6 months.

missgee Gold 40 Reviews

I have just this minute got off the phone with them and here is what I was told.  I called the number Pluto listed in the first post.  Don't do that. lol.  I got the dreaded voice recognition software which transferred me to Platinum reservations who transferred me to the Rewards line.  He told me that Marriott would not extend or reissue an expiring certificate, but if I make a reservation using it they could extend it.  So.... I was instructed to make my reservation.... call the Rewards line back (oh ****. forgot to ask him for the direct number. grr)..... then ask them to extend the expiry.  Rewards will then call the hotel directly, ask them to authorize the extension, then Rewards will do so.

Okay.  Whatever it takes.  Here goes.  Wish me luck. 

missgee Gold 40 Reviews

Just one question, Pluto.  Is your re-issued Rewards certificate only good for that one property now?  The one you made your original reservation at.

The number that I posted is the correct number for the US/Canada.  If you do not call that number during the hours listed, I would imagine you would be redirected to the 24/7 automated system. (You're not in the UK, are you?)  I have never been redirected to the automated system when I call that customer support number during the times listed.  You do have to validate your Marriott Rewards account information to the 'computer,' and the 'computer' does attempt to address your questions in an automated fashion, however if you keep repeating 'representative' when asked a question (about twice I believe), the 'computer' will 'give up,' validate your Marriott Rewards account, and send you to a live agent.  The whole process takes less than 60 seconds.

1 801 468 4000 (8:15am - 9:00pm, Monday - Friday, US Eastern time)

To be clear, my certificate was not reissued.  As I stated above, the old certificate was cancelled and disassociated from the reservation.  A new certificate was issued with an expiration date of 6 months from the date that the new certificate was issued, but not attached to the reservation, as I told the agent that could not keep the reservation due to calendaring conflicts.  She reminded me not to forget to cancel the reservation.  The new certificate is good at any cat. 1-4 property.

Missgee, I believe the problem is that when we (elite customers) call customer support, we don't always get the same response/result, perhaps depending on the agent.  Why?  Perhaps because a) the agent is not fully trained, b) trained but still not competent in the specific area of concern, c) improperly trained, d) it may be a case where an agent or an agent's supervisor is allowed to make a descretionary decision (the rule/policy pertaining to the specific issue, in this case certificate expiration dates, may not necessarily be black and white, but rather can be applied on a case by case basis), or else e) some other unknown reason (it's only a quarter moon).  Why else does this work for some and not others?  Who can say?

Keep trying.  I hope you will get your extension.

missgee Gold 40 Reviews

Yay for stating "representative" twice to get out of automation jail!!

Free night certificate cancelled and reissued.  Shortest amount of time spent with Customer Service ever.  Now if she'd only asked if there was anything else she could help me with I would have remembered to ask for a status update on the missing stays they said they would look into.  lol

Thanks for posting this Pluto.