9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 8:04 PM by lone6star RSS

Platinum arrival gift

mike929 Gold 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings,

Please let me know if this sounds correct.  Yesterday I had an overnight stay with Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta - Vinings for check out today 12pm.  I was not greeted as platinum member nor offered a choice of points or market items.  I thought about it later that night and called the customer line as it's not stated exactly what to do on the Marriott site.  I spoke to Yolanda and  I explained the situation to her.  She placed me on hold on three different occasions so that she could call the hotel.  No one ever answered.  At that point she said she would make an "issue" email to the GM of that hotel.

This morning I went to the front desk and again explained the situation.  The first person I spoke to did not know anything about the platinum arrival gift so i had to wait on another employee to get to work.  Once she arrived she looked in the system and said the guy applied points ( to which i do not know how much, but can find out how much from the Marriott site for this particular brand hotel).  So I stated i did not know that nor was I asked or acknowledged.  The employee said I they might have to check the security tapes to verify but she is unsure and to call the GM when he gets in later. 

So, I call the customer line again and speak to Shalice and she explained to me that you have to "wait and see if they can make it right for you" or give the hotel a chance to.  I mention it's called an arrival gift and that I showed the clerk and mention to Shalice about the compensation and read from this very rewards-insiders others accounts about getting money.  Shalice said that if points are not posted to my account customer care can do it for me.  But again I asked about the compensation or if it applied and how do people get it.  I was told if after 2 weeks you don't see points then you might be able to get it.

Does this sound accurate to anyone??

Thanks,

Michael

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Vinings
Atlanta, Georgia,
  • Re: Platinum arrival gift
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Mike,

It's a sticky issue I believe. On the surface, Marriott is stating that they would like all Elite member guests to be greeted at the front desk and recognized as Silver/Gold/Platinum. Also, they would like all Platinum members to be offered the arrival gift. As you point out, it is an ARRIVAL gift.  Whether it's 200 points, 500 points, or an item from the market, a gift should be verbally offered and accepted. That is the intent, as I see it,  from Marriott Rewards Corporate. It's a great idea.

Now, let's talk execution. As we all know, this recognition and gift "ceremony" does not always occur as planned. Quite often we check in at a Marriott brand and nothing is said. If you, as the customer, bring up the points vs gift idea, the front desk associate will normally say something like "Oh, most people just take the points, so I put them in for you." Sometimes we don't bother reminding the front desk and typically the points will show up in your account when the stay posts.

By the "letter of the law" Marriott has stated that if you do not receive the Platinum arrival gift, you will be compensated. I have read on here, that more than one person has asked for and received this compensation. In your instance, it sounds like there was poor training at the front desk. The second person you spoke with verified that the points were applied to your stay. Most likely, they will show up in your account. So, you ask, is this the right way it should go down? I think that answer is "no". Should you give Marriott time to "make it right"? That's your call. Normally stays will post within 48 hrs after checkout. If your stay does not have the points attached, I think you should call and receive the compensation. If the points are there, then the ball goes back to your court. Do you want to escalate the issue? Were you interested in the market item vs the points and feel that by not given the choice, Marriott should live up to their pledge and extend additional compensation?

Overall, the challenge to live up to the stated benefits of the MR program have been hit or miss. We all feel good when a cheery front desk associate recognizes our loyalty and executes the check in process to the letter. Marriott has set up this expectation. When it doesn't go off as planned, we all (mostly), feel the difference and drop the organization down a peg on the perfection scale. I think most of the time we shrug it off and move on. BUT, every once in a while, we decide to escalate the issue and seek satisfaction.  I've been faced with that decision, others have been faced with it, now you're faced with it. Just like you, we all choose our battles. This may be one you choose to fight or not.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.  Below are the 'terms and conditions' as stated on the Marriott Rewards website.  As listed, your compensation, should you choose to pursue it, would be $25 for FFI.  Pained really said it best, and well done, Pained.  Mike, I concur with your disappointment in the execution of this benefit, and wish you better in the future.

Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott Hotel brands. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies (see below):

Brand Guest Compensation*
    JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott
    Hotels & Resorts
    $100 USD
    Courtyard (U.S. & Canada),
    SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn
    $50 USD
    AC Hotels, Courtyard (outside U.S. &
    Canada)
    $50 USD
    Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace
    Suites
    $25 USD
    Marriott Vacation Club$100 USD
    EDITIONn/a

*Hotels outside the U.S. and Canada will pay the equivalent in their local currency.

mike929 Gold 5 Reviews

This is exactly what i showed the first person I spoke to this morning on my tablet.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

In a perfect world, everything goes according to what OUR wishes are. But, we don't live in a perfect world. I think pained has put together a very good and logical approach to your issue.....along with a dose of real world reality. Pluto has given you the compensation levels as well that can be paid based on the situation. The T+C's also include the caveat that request must be made while at the property. That rule is here:

• If an Elite Member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation.

Now, back to that perfect world as I have seen it through the eyes of my stays with Marriott:

I can't even begin to count the number of times I have not been recognized/acknowledged/thanked for my loyalty as a Platinum member. Some of those issues I report here (when they miff me enough to the degree I think others should know about it), most go to the forget about it file. When they get reported by me, I usually have had some overbearing situation (beyond the greeting/gift game) that moves me to report it. Since you are a platinum elite, I can't believe that this issue hasn't happened in the past with all your stays at marriott. Did something happen here that elevated the issue this time to the point of going after the compensation? If there is more to the story, please let us know.

Good luck with the resolution process and let us know how it turns out!

californian Platinum 36 Reviews

I have had many times that I did not get the gift.  Most os the time, I was greeted and and accepted points and later found that I did not get the points.  I called CS and they were given to me without question.  However, I did have some times when I was not given anything.  Once at the Copenhagan Marriott, I spoke to a manager while there and was given $100, the last time was at the Denver Marriott West.  I was there on a weekend and they put your name on a list for a free breakfast.  I realized that I was not greeted, offered a gift and told that my name was on the list for breakfast and my keys were not elite.  I spoke to the manager, she gave me the $100 and put my name on the breakfast list.  In both cases, it was offered but in both cases, I noticed it while I was there.

I did check after the first time if the person who made the mistake had to pay it and was told that Marriott paid it.

californian Platinum 36 Reviews

My experience is that many employees at CYs, FFIs and SHSs don't seem to know what platinums should get and am treated like any else off the street there.

mike929 Gold 5 Reviews

thank your for the insightful and diligently written replies.

Firstly I would like everyone to know that may read this post.  I am not being disgruntled or irate and I hope not to convey that to anyone reading this.

Secondly - Jedd McConnell ( the GM) called me and was great about the whole situation.   He was very apologetic and told me that he would send me a 25 dollar gift card.  He also explained to me that what they do is offer points and a market item because the want to give more than 250 points and that I should have been offered that.

All in all I am very happy.  Also note that I never once had an issue with any of the staff. They in fact were all great, especially the gentlemen that checked me in ( I wish I had his name ).  I had to have gone out of the hotel about four times and he greeted me each and every time.  I would definitely stay at this hotel in the future and I just wanted that to be known.  This was the only issue I had at this hotel.

tef6178 - coming from recent stays (last 30 days) - I've stayed at the Marriott on 555 Canal, New Orleans, SpringHill Suites Cincinnati, Atlanta Marriot Century Center and never had an "issue".  All of my experiences have been great.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Glad to hear the resolution was a winner! Also glad to know that the hotel had the follow through to make it right and there weren't other issues. Sounds like this really was a 'bump' in the road for them if they do gift and points on a regular basis.

Happy Travels!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Glad everything worked out for you in the end!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...