54 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 1:19 AM by eb5147 RSS

Mega Bonus 2012 - So there are really other options...

taxman415 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I do not mind if I can not switch bonus programs (and have be able to many times in the past... Thank you Marriott!!!) but I have an issue when I am told that there are no other Mega Bonus programs running... I called last week to see if I could switich from the 20 nights (35k points) to something else and was told that there were no other programs being offfered...

The screen shots below are from my account and a friend's account... So this does not apppear to be the case...

Mega Stays.jpgMega Points.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mega Bonus 2012 - So there are really other options...
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

taxman, I also called last week and got mine switched from the multi-night, mega points to the 3 free nights bonus you referenced.  Call back and you'll speak to a different associate who can probably change it for you. If not, ask to speak with a supervisor.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Taxman, thanks for posting this.

First let me tell you how it went for me with the summer promotion, and then let me tell you my take on the latest (Sept. - Jan.) promotion.

During the Summer, I had two promotions (see below) that I was registered for:

my bonuses.gif

1.  The "Summer Bonus" where I could stay up to 25 nights and earn up to 40K bonus points, ends Aug. 31st.

2.  The "Escape the Everyday" promotion where I could earn 5K bonus points after 2 SpringHill Suites 'stays,' ends Jul. 31st.

I called Customer Service and asked to be switched from one of the promotions to the 'Stay twice anywhere, and earn one free night, up to two (I think) free nights.'  They told me I could not switch from the "Escape the Everyday" promotion because it was fixed, but that I could switch the "Summer Bonus" from the 25 nights/40K to the stay twice anywhere, and earn one free night, which I did.

I do not know if the new promotion, "Marriott Rewards Mega Bonus 2012," (shown in the screen shot above) which runs from Sept. - Jan. is switchable.  If anyone has received a different "Marriott Rewards Mega Bonus 2012" promotion and has been successfully switched, I would like to hear from them.  Taxman, I think maybe the associate might have meant that there is no other program that you are allowed to switch to.  The "Mega Bonus" thing might be individually tailored.  I think that not all Marriott folks are always careful with their words or perhaps don't always have a full understanding of each promotion and it's specific rules, etc.

"I do not know if the new promotion, "Marriott Rewards Mega Bonus 2012," (shown in the screen shot above) which runs from Sept. - Jan. is switchable.  If anyone has received a different "Marriott Rewards Mega Bonus 2012" promotion and has been successfully switched, I would like to hear from them."

pluto:  this is definitely the one that I switched.

erc Platinum

Yes, I really think this is the issue: has anyone been able to switch from the upcoming Mega Bonus 2012, specifically the 20 nites/35k points - 25 nites/50k points. I'm starting to think that once you reach a certain momentum, Marriott doesn't think there is any incentive to allow you to switch from the promo they have assigned you. So far I'm in the group with taxman and pluto - not allowed to switch.

erc -- that's exactly the one I switched from/to.  I didn't have any problem when I called.

erc Platinum

I misread your response - you were quoting Pluto, I get it now. That's very encouraging,  what the heck, I'll give 'em a few more calls. Thanks for the heads up.

Good luck.

erc Platinum

NEWS FLASH !!!  I just got off the phone with platinum rewards and they very kindly switched me over to a free night per two stay plan. At the risk of changing the direction of this thread: This reminds me of the Marriott of old, where they actually listened to and valued the loyalty of customers (without giving away the store and still with a focus on the net/net bottom line). I am going to go out of my way to stay an additional five or six nights in the four month period to make it a win-win for both Marriott and myself. My only concern is, that hopefully in the new era of platinum austerity, the cordial, caring, thoughtful customer service professional that I dealt with doesn't get scolded or reprimanded for their (don't want to tip off the gender to the benefits police) very effective (both customer loyalty and financially) interaction.

Like taxman, if I wasn't able to switch, that would have been the end of my focus, I'm not going to live my life solely on a Marriott points target; I would have just chalked it up to bad timing (I have seven nights between last week of August and the 9/15 megabonus starting point and several last week Jan-first week Feb) and moved on - but I'm certainly juiced now - not so much about the potential 1-4 certs that can be earned, but by the sliver of light of the old Marriott customer oriented days, hopefully not to be squelched by an overzealous financial analyst.

Hi Husker,

That's what I wanted to know (I didn't read your post above before I posted my response.)

So the bottom line is that the 2012 Mega Bonus Promotion has multiple options, and is switchable.  (Because this is going to come up again.

And again... )

jfgunner Platinum 25 Reviews

Congratulations on getting your promotions switched. 

I have called twice and been told that I can't switch my promotion.   I have the 35K points for 20 nights + 15K points if I get to 25 nights.  This will never happen for me so this promotion is useless for me. 

Any suggestions on who to call or e-mail to get a different result???

I have always been happy with Marriott and finally hit Platinum lasyt year so I suppose this won't change my loyalty.  It is just upsetting that some poeple can get their switched and others can't.

californian Platinum 35 Reviews

I got my summer bonus switched and called today to get it taken care of.  For the fall MegaBonus, they told me that I can't switch it.  Maybe if I called back I would get someone who would switch it but I am fine with what was offered.

jfgunner Platinum 35 Reviews

Update:

I made my 3rd call to customer service today.  The agent put me on hold for a minute or two then came back and switched me to the 1free night every second stay promotion for the Fall 2012 Megabonus....Sort of. 

She said she made a note in my account that they would add the free nights when the promotion ends in January.  That is fine with me as I can then use those free nights in 2013. 

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

Are you calling the platinum phone line?  Keep trying, eventually you will get a nice Marriott person.  I was told a few months ago that they have a lot of new people there because they have had so many calls.  The newbies are probably afraid to make a decision.  If the Marriott let us take care of things online, they would not have to hire so many people to answer the phone.  DUH!

If you are told that you cannot switch promotions, just hang up and call back and get a different person.  Keep doing it till you get someone that is really a "customer service" person and not someone sitting at a desk being annoyed that you are interrupting their daydreams.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Taxman:

Still more different offers: I got one to stay 15 nights and get 25,000 points and 20 nights for 15,000 more..total of 40,000 points.

taxman415 Platinum

I took you advice and called them back and got it switched with no problem... Guess it all depends if the associate feels like doing the work... I am very happy right now...

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

I'd be happy just to have a promotion offered to me for Sept-Jan. As of now, I have "No New Promotions" message for my account.

I had the problem with the Summer promotion of being offered something I didn't want (stay at 4 different brands for 15000 points) and called and switched to staying 25 nights for 40000 points. But my account still has the old promotion and I was told they would give me the points after the promotion ended. I'm already well over 25 nights since the promotion started -- but nothing yet. Guess I have to wait until the end of August for that promotion to expire.

When did your newest promotion show up in your accounts?

Keglerbill, Sounds like some kind of mistake to me.  Can't imagine you not being offered something for the fall/winter.  Perhaps another phone call will fix this.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Have you called about getting the additional points yet.  I got my husband's added today.  California got her certificates today.

sg1974 Gold

I was also offered the 25,000 points for 15 nights + 15,000 points after 20 nights MegaBonus option. After reading this helpful thread I rang customer service and they happily changed my rewards to the 1 free night after every second paid stay, up to 3 free nights.

Customer service did say though that on my account it would add the points for the MegaBonus and that I would have to call them back once I have completed my stays to get the points deducted and the certificates added. I can do this after 2 stays or wait until I have completed the 6 stays depending on how soon I would like the certificates.

This is a much better option for me personally.

tampabobby Gold

I think the 1 free night for every 2nd paid stay would be a great deal except that it is only good for category 1 - 4 hotels. I can hardly find a category 5 hotel anywhere I want to go (like the beach, NYC, etc...) let alone category 4 .Category 4 may work for work travel but if I am going for free nights I want something I can use for a fun weekend. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

sg1974 Gold

Yes if it were up to category 5 hotels that would obviously be a better deal. As most of my stays are for leisure I'm unlikely to stay the number of days over that period.

Therefore the free night certificates would suite me better personally.

Maybe some of the members could collectively raise the issue that the free night certificates should include category 5?

Sg and Tampabobby,

Your preference to have the free night certs. include category 5 has been discussed at length numerous times here on Insiders.  You are not alone, and Marriott is certainly aware of our collective wish to have the free night certs. include Cat. 1-5.   (The annual Premier credit card free nigt certificate is a cat. 1-5, but I think it is the only cat. 1-5 free night cert that is issued.)  Another common wish that has been expressed often on Insiders is to have the certs. expire in one year vs. 6 months.  Most certs. expire in 6 months, but a number of members have expressed that they have contacted customer support and successfully had the expiration date extended.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto,

I'm not sure if this is news or not, but.....My summer promo was the 3 max 1 night cat 4 certificates. All 3 are now in my account and all 3 have one year expirations. Maybe the 6 month expiration is now a thing of the past or only applies to the credit card night.

lenae Platinum 25 Reviews

I would prefer to earn the 20,000 points it would take to stay at a catagory 4 and use them either at a cat 4 or combine them with my points that have been earned.  There really aren't any cat 4's worth it unless its for business or overnight at an airport.  I did use my cat 4 during a week long power outage due to a hurricane.  Do you think Marriott would ever offer the points for a future promo?

zuma Platinum 7 Reviews

Hi Guys,

I'm new to these forums, and have only been traveling heavily since February (new job).  I will have at least 180 nights by the end of the calendar year.  I participated in the 40k bonus Summer reward plan and the 40k has already been credited to my account. 

Just wondering why you've all chosen the bonus plan that you have described here over the 40k plan?  I'm still learning the ropes, and feedback is appreciated.

As a side note, I need to better understand the options available for conversion to miles.  Although I spend tons of time in hotels, they tend to be long stays (2-4 weeks) so I don't actually fly all that much, compared to some of you (although I do get tons of car rental days).  The array of options between Marriott, Delta, and National (I've been able to stick with them for the most part) seem substantial, and I guess it might take some time before I translate those options into the right choices based on my needs.

Thanks for your help.

Zuma,

There are many reasons a person may prefer one type of promo versus the other. Here's a couple examples:

If you know that  25 nights in the 3 or 4 month period is doable, then the 35,000 plus 15,000 is a good deal. People that know they will never stay that many nights in the same period would prefer the stay 2 get 1 night certificate. 

The actual max points that are earned for most of these promos is either 40,000 or 50,000.  A category 4 hotel free night stay costs 20,000 points. If a person opts for the points (40K or 50K), the max free nights at category 4 hotels is 2 or 2.5.  If a person took the 2 stays earns one free night (cat 1-4)..with a maximum of three free nights, that would be the equivalent point value of 60,000 points. This could be achieved in as little as 6 nights.

I'm like you, I typically will knock out 25 nights in a quarter without a problem. My preference is the 50,000 points promo so I can have the greatest flexibility when I choose to cash-in. My daughter, on the other hand, may stay 10 nights per year. Two stays for one free certificate is right up her alley. 

zuma Platinum 2 Reviews

Great explanation, many thanks.  And I see what you mean about flexibility, guess you can't exchange free nights for miles.

Message was edited by: zuma

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi zuma:

Welcome to the forum!

If you want to know about earning airline miles instead of points, here is the link:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/miles.mi

If you want to see what it costs to turn points into airline miles, here's the link:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi

It takes some time to understand the guidelines, but it's worth the effort.

zuma Platinum 8 Reviews

Many thanks for the links, I will dig into the information.

For a period of about 4 years beginning in 2004, I traveled quite a bit, but paid little/no attention to any rewards programs, probably because I knew that the job would be temporary.  Now, with my new job, which might take me to retirement, I am very interested in squeezing the most benefit out of being a road-warrior.  Thanks for the leg up.

erc Platinum

Zuma

Your intuitive feel about points vs. free 1-4 cat. nights is understandable. At first glance it would seem a no brainer, but speaking for myself, a long in the tooth, former road warrior (Lifetime Plat) who travels the similar amount as before, but less business and more leisure, therefore less Marriott and more friends homes, timeshares, cruises etc, this particular promo fell in a period where it would be a stretch for me to hit the 25 nites. I had seven nights around Labor Day (beach), a week on points, two weeks Christmas vacation at friends, and a seven night cruise, to go along with my 15-18 Marriott nights. So the free nights (which I like to use locally after dinner or a play, or at airports pre-post travel) is better than nothing. The beauty of this forum is getting years of experience from folks like you, Pain, tef, et al. as we together tackle "the system". Welcome aboard, it's good to have you and your insights.

zuma Platinum

Holy cow, lifetime plat, very nice!

Thanks for your explanation, it makes perfect sense.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

ERC,

Would the $1000 in gift certificates be an option for you to use instead of free nights since you're probably platinum or gold and can get them for 135,000 points?  By the time you get the points back (assuming you get 10 points for $1 and then the 50% bonus), you'd get 15,000 points minimum back and credit for the nights towards Mega Bonus or whatever. 

katlss Silver 2 Reviews

Guys, I am a newbie back to Marriott (I have just been inactive for a few years, but still have my account and Marriott Rewards Points) from Hilton/Hyatt due to some deals I am finding in California, along with this upcoming Mega Bonus that begins in a month.

My question has to do with stays between now and then.  I am staying perhaps 6 nights, was there a program I missed that I can no longer sign up for - the Summer Bonus?  I read above something about that, and a stay 2 get 1 program for the next month would be perfect for me.

Can I still sign up for something or just straight points between now and 9/15?

Thanks for your help.

I was also a little confused about "switching " comments from above, was that to mean instead of trying for some point threshold, to switch to a stay 2 get 1 deal for those stays, or vice-versa?

Katl,

I believe there was a "sign up by this date" type of deadline for the SummerBonus. I would call the help desk and verify. I know the SummerBonus ends on 8/31. I'm not aware of any other promos running between now and 9/15.

The "switching" discussion has to do with these quarterly bonus programs. Marriott targets members with a particular bonus each time. There may be 4 or 5 different versions in the same time period. You will be offered one. If it's one that you don't like or can't see yourself achieving, you may want to call Marriott and ask them to switch you to a different version.

katlss Silver 2 Reviews

Sorry guys, I have another question, mostly about etiquette.  Is it generally acceptable to change hotels just to classify as another "stay".  In many of the current programs, a single stay is defined as 1 to 4 nights at the same hotel regardless of check in check out at that hotel, or something like that.  So, do any of you change hotels, night 1 at Marriott, night 2 at qualifying Marriott hotel like Courtyard or whatever qualifies, night 3 back to Marriott, etc..

Does everyone do this, or is it seen as taboo/playing the system?

Thanks for your insight in advance.

Katl,

I'm not one that checks in one hotel, out the next day and in another. That doesn't mean I would frown on someone doing that if they were close to achieving a goal that they had set. To each there own, I say.  We had a funny conversation on here that included the famous "mattress run" at the end of the year where some folks were a few nights short of qualifying as Gold or Platinum and they hit the road to ensure compliance with the needed nights.

katiss -- I don't know about etiquette, but I have on many occasions switched from hotel to hotel for a variety of reasons including just to get another stay towards a promotion.  I remember one trip to Miami a few years ago, my wife and I stayed at Eden Rock 1 night, South Beach Marriott 1 night, JW downtown 1 night, and then Doral Resort 1 night.  For us, that was living on the edge!

Katiss,

They make the rules about "stays", I just try to follow their rules.  If it means switching hotels to get a free night, and it is not too inconvenient, I switch.  I dont worry about etiquette.  Frequently the Marriott does not worry about etiquette with me, as I have had everything happen from an elevator that fell with me in it to a thousand ants in the bathtub.  They also usually lie about whether they have upgrades available.  So all is fair in Marriott War. If they treated loyal guests as they should, we would not have to take these measures.

Thank you for your post as I could not see any promotions at all on the website.   I called to see about switching promotions and was told that I could not switch.  I told "Dan" that I had always switched in the past and he told me I could not do it this time.  So I hung up and called right back and talked to "Mary" and she graciously allowed me to switch promotions.  It just all depends on what Marriott person you get when you call.  "Dan", if that was his real name should be fired.  If Marriott treated everyone alike and offered a choice of promotions, we would not have to call them.  We could just choose which suited our travel needs on the website.  But that probably makes way too much sense for the Marriott.  I do so get tired of fighting with them for everything I earn thru my loyalty to their program. 

theseeker888 Platinum

Thank you all for this useful tip. I just phoned and got changed too !

erc Platinum

As it gets tougher and tougher to gain benefits (see some of the other recent posts on various perks) this forum really serves as a valuable tool in teaching each other tricks of the trade. Whew, reading the Marriott Rewards on Facebook wears me out, this forum is more focused on helping each other out with travel ideas, superb property reviews, and great tips. Thanks to all, let's keep the mojo going, it's only going to get tougher. As Norm of Cheers used to say, "it's a dog eat dog world",  let's make sure us Insiders aren't wearing Milkbone shorts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...