13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 12:19 PM by tryt53 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Marriott Rewards Offers and special rates

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Michellel

The team at Intergalactic is really making you earn those lifetime free nights, aren't they? But since I've got you, I have an unrelated question (a bogo break would be refreshing any way, correct?);

I am always pleased when looking up rates (using the red View Rates box which takes you to Special Rates-Standard-Room Packages-Marriott Rewards Offer) on the Marriott web site to find a Marriott Rewards Offer (like Wardman Park New Year's Eve), my question; is there anywhere these Marriott Rewards Offer prices are all gathered up on one listing similar to the 25 or more pages of Member Exclusives (you know the one; Member Exclusives-Points/Miles Offers-Partner Offers-NonMarriott Reward Deals - which by the way when this link is clicked, it comes up titled Marriott Rewards Offers, but these are not the hotel specific Marriott Rewards Offer)?

Highly confident the answer is no, but thrilled if it's yes (and I will aggressively use it); thanks for your attention. Have a great morning, daydreaming about those upcoming stays you've so rightly earned !

PS - I didn't know if this should have gone to Andy, but knowing that you do battle with the Facebook hordes, I thought you might have already come across the issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: BOGO offers
    Marriott Associate Member

Good morning erc!  Glad to hear from you again.  Regarding your question: andy or heather will be back in touch -- this is more in their world than mine.  (thanks for not yelling)..  michellel

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Offers and special rates
    communitymanager Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings erc, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We currently have a project in the works to update the deals page in the next several months and we'll be sure to pass along these points for further clarification. But to help answer your question specifically, the Marriott Rewards Offers that appear on an individual hotel websites are the same offers that appear on the deals page - we just aren't doing a good job of using the same headlines or surfacing the corresponding promotional rate. But again, we'll make sure this gets relayed to the appropriate teams. Below are two examples of how the same offers appear between the hotel website and the deals listings.

Atlanta Marriott MarquisCourtyard Miami Coral Gables

Option1:

Marriott Rewards Offers tab from search results

HWS-ATL-MEO.jpgHWS-MIA-MEO.jpg

Option 2 - Step 1:

List of deals in corresponding cities found in Exclusive Offers section on Marriott.com

ATL-MEO-list.jpgMIA-MEO-list.jpg

Option 2 - Step 2:

Individual offer page

ATL-MEO.jpgMIA-MEO.jpg

Option 2 - Step 3:

Offer availability at participating property

HWS-ATL-MEO-Rate.jpg
    HWS-MIA-MEO-Rate.jpg

erc Platinum

Since we're in a celebratory mood about the anniversary nogo bogo and I'm in a 'stir it up' mode, I decided to revisit (and close) this issue. Whereas all Marriott Deals page offers may appear on the hotel web site - not all Marriott Rewards Offers (from the hotel web site rate chart) appear on the Deals Page (or anywhere else for that matter - that was my point). There are numerous examples out there, (the Wardman Park Marriott 12/31/12 is the one I used) that in looking for travel I occasionally stumble upon, but there's no central location to help find these offers, some which are significant values. Ok, thanks for everyone's patience, and yes Pluto, I put it in the survey ,(ha ha, keep up the good work, thanks for the efforts).

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

erc,

So funny and witty.

I really didn't realize this, so thanks for the heads up.  I guess you do just have to stumble on them.

You aren't going to believe this one.

I did a search for AL hotels and found a really pretty place at Point Clear, AL called Grand Hotel Marriott Resort.

For 4 nights in the middle of Feb. 16 - 20, the results were as follows:

Trying to book it for points at 5 nights in the middle of Feb, the results were as follows:

Can you believe they're charging 575,000 points for one more day?!!!!!!!!

Is this really a programming or keying error instead?

Other rates:

AAA

Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Resort view

Rate rules   Room details  

The rate for this room changes on 2/17/13 to 179.10 (USD) per night

Sr. citizen over 62

Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Resort view

Rate rules   Room details  

The rate for this room changes on 2/17/13 to 169.00 (USD) per night

californian Platinum 36 Reviews

5 nights should be the same amount of points as 4 nights.

That's what I thought, too, Californian.

I think they need to do some work on their rate finders.   

erc Platinum

eb

Your session of course times out, so it can't be verified any longer - but I'm pretty confident you didn't print the blue links yourself, so what you saw no doubt existed. When I typed in 4 days Feb. 16-20 and five days Feb.16-21 they did both come up 100,000 points, which like you and Cal said, they should. However, type in those dates, using points and it comes up "100,000 points or from 199 (USD) per night". When you click View Rates  all you can find is the $209 Standard Rate. I've been observing more and more of these events (I used to call them anomalies, but they happen too often lately for that to be an accurate term). Ever since they hooked up with Room Key, whether related or not, I don't know, but this stuff (showing rates that can't be found) is occurring too frequently for a corporation that has as it's top revenue manager a rocket scientist who worked on the Strategic Defense Initiative !  Come on Mr. Roberts, "Tear down this wall".

You're right about that, erc.  Today, it showed 100,000 points for me, too, but no other info on the page, so it's still malfunctioning for me.

When I tried to sign in after reading this post, I kept getting a blank page and noticed the url being sought was missing the "M" and sometimes the "Ma" in Marriott.  I had to open another tab and go to past links before I could sign in.  (I'm wondering if they're being programmed by an outside source like my husband's employer company is doing?  I don't know where Room Key that you mentioned is based, but that might be the culprit alright, if they have anything to do with programming or keying.)

While I was even trying to sign in, it said my session had timed out.  That is funny.  Can't get in because you're time out. 

But it even told me last night that we were 300,000 + points short, which was true of the 675,000 points. 

You know, with all of these problems in trying to use their site, there is no way I'd trust the automatic key system someone suggested elsewhere.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

eb,

I found the same kind of thing that erc did.  When I selected 15 - 20 Feb 2013, the first page showed 100,000 Points or from $199 per night (I guess that it just implies that it is per stay, but not clearly).  When I clicked on the view rates from that page, showed 100,000 points PER STAY.  Since this is a Category 5, It should be 100,000 points per stay for 4 nights or 5 nights, because you are getting the 5th night free (Category 5 is 25,000 points per night).  How did you do the search that showed 675,000 points?

erc Platinum

So I'm scrolling down the Activity line to see what's up and right before I'm about to head out the door, I see the post; Marriott Rewards Offers and Special Prices. This catches my attention because I have an upcoming trip where I have to get out of Dodge. It doesn't matter where (Mrs. Erc is having the house painted and she wants me out of the way) but I'd certainly like to get a deal.

Wow, it's just like we teach our children, 'words you write on the internet are there forever'. I see that the post was started by....me! This was a response and never posted as a headlining topic (as you can see from the date). So once I got over the surprise (with over 260 views already - I felt like David Byrne in Once in a Lifetime), I thought, "well Marriott must have re-posted it as a topic because they have actually updated their process regarding Marriott Rewards Offers and have a location where you can find them", ( perhaps part of their enhanced navigation system, that they promised in their  Aug. 6 response). Wrong.

What I was hoping to see was a central spot on Marriott.com that shows all of the Marriott Rewards Offers. I cannot find (all of) them anywhere - not in Marriott Rewards Offers, not in Members Exclusives, not in Edit Search by city, I can't find them anywhere except deep in the bowels of the individual hotel pricing matrix for specific dates, which is the blind pig finding an acorn approach.
    Take the lovely Renaissance on Wacker Ave. in Chicago for Saturday January 12th. The rate is $159, the Marriott Rewards offer is $135 (it was $109 when I booked it weeks ago). I was hoping from the Marriott August 6 response above, that we could go to the deals page (it was  underlined in the answer) and find it, thus indicating they really had added a place where all the Marriott Rewards offers were gathered (if I'm missing something please tell me, I'd prefer the solution over just being right, I have tried every deal page and edit search they have and got zip).
    I am puzzled by this entire rehashing, but as you have often read in my jottings, I live in a state of bewilderment when it comes to Marriott pricing logic and integrity, so I'm just going to head off to my holiday fiesta  in Scottsdale, eat my Manuels burrito in honor of jkernitzki , special dinner at tef6178 Bandera, try out curiousone Hillstone, take a photo of shoeman1000 Lane and have myself a very merry Christmas (watching the CNBC special on Marriott this Wednesday night ).
    ps - thanks eb5147  for the kind words, I showed Mrs. E and she said I still had to take my humor out of town that weekend!

Charleston, SC River View CY is a really nice location, but Marriott is so deceptive in it's offers, it's actually insulting.

Right now, they're offering 3000 extra points if you stay 2 nights.  The rate for the 2 nights is $159 for these additional points that cost what, $6.50 per 1000 points?  Military rates for 1 K or 2 Q is $137, AAA and Sr. rate for same is $109.65, and standard rate for the same is $109.  It's no wonder Marriott doesn't put all of their pricing together in one simple search.  And this is also the basis for a best price guarantee, when one actually has to tell each time that one is sr. or AAA?  I don't consider any of these practices to be top service at all.

BTW, I posted this same thing pretty much under CY Used to Be Nice.  Their pricing techniques are just so maddening to me, I felt it needed more exposure.

I did get the $1000 cheques again before that offer ended.  And I purchased a $500 gift card to put the excess charges on while they were offering the 10 points per dollar.

erc Platinum

Yes, as Marriott goes more and more into pricing permutations, we consumers must really keep our fiscal guards up - which at times can be challenging to the most vigilant of us. As Insiders have already observed, pricing for 2013 is more aggressive than this year (which is fine, that's the way of demand oriented pricing in services - no sweat, Marriott earns it), but we're also seeing shaving 'on the edges' such as packages like; breakfast deals for one (which impacts all weekend platinum family travelers), parking deals for day two and three and more pricing rate increases mid-stays and so on).

Coupled with the above pricing strategies (no argument from me strategically - but sometimes disagreement over tactical execution) and the tightening of elite benefits like; bogos, weekend CLs being opened, gift cheque $1000 for 135,000 points going to gift card $1000 for 205,000 points, even the reduction of gift cards bonus points from $2500 to $2000 (once again, no argument from me on any of these, that's the operator's prerogative) it should be easy to understand why I don't go all Chris Matthews ("a chill up my leg") when the Platinum check-in bonus at Courtyard is increased from 200 to 400 points, or the Cash + Points program is introduced without the ability to use AAA or other discount rates. I put those 'enhancements' in the category that lawyers like to call, 'better than a stick in the eye".

The good news; the properties are usually terrific,  I'm able to travel, and as they say, I'm dealing with 'First World Problems'. Ok, got to go listen to Chairman Ben, he'll tell me how to max my Marriott experience

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...