9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 9:38 PM by californian RSS

Beware of Non-refundable offers

jimsbsb Silver
Currently Being Moderated

BEWARE OF NON-REFUNDABLE OFFERS!! 

So for the first time, I tried the low non refundable option on a business trip to Toronto ($360 rate for 2 nights). Of course, the trip then got cancelled, so I called customer service. I didn't expect a refund, so I asked if there was a way as an "Elite" rewards member to apply any of it to another reservation. If not, can I at least get the payments applied for points to my Rewards account?

The answer? Take a hike Mr. Long time rewards member. We are taking you money, not allowing one dime of it to be applied elsewhere, and there will be no points earned for the payment. Boy do I feel like an Elite member.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beware of Non-refundable offers
    californian Platinum 36 Reviews

I think we all know non-refundable is non-refundable.  The airlines have been doing that for a long time.  If I take advantage of them, I usually do it on a trip where I purchase trip insurance otherwise I don't do it.

However, I think it would be nice to get the points and maybe the credit for the nights since you did pay for them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jimsbsb Silver

Agreed - I didn't expect a refund for sure - but you would think that giving points or credits for money paid to Marriott would be a minimum standard for any rewards member. After being treated like this, my preference on upcoming trips will be to stay at a Hyatt or a Starwood hotel. At least they care about their frequent customers.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Unless I'm sure I can make the trip, I usually don't purchase the non-refundable nights. I only did this once in a business trip because the rates were so low and luckily no cancellation. Otherwise, I rather pay a little more under advance reservation rates or the AAA discount if you have one. The AAA card does help out in a handful of the reservations I made believe it or not. It more than pays off the annual fee ($48/$58) for the basic card. You also get discounts for other things like theme parks, shows, etc.

It would be nice if Marriott did give the points/miles for us even if we didn't stay but the Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions clearly states that you must be at check-in and stay in the room to be eligible for them:

"A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for staying at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms. At least one of the rooms must be reserved and registered in the Member's name and the Member must pay for all rooms, which payment arrangement must be requested at time of hotel check-in. The Member must also stay in one of the rooms. To ensure Points are automatically posted to the correct Membership Account, the Member's Rewards Program Membership Number must be present on his/her room folio and up to two additional rooms, as applicable."

A lot of people can "abuse" the system if that's not the case. Think of it this way. If someone is just a few nights short of reaching a specific status (Silver, Gold, Platinum), they can just reserve the room and not show up at all just to get credits for those nights. I know and agree that you already paid for it and you should earn those nights/points, but it's against their T&C.

I had a lot of similar questions before and read through all their conditions when I joined. Answered a lot of my questions and for those that I'm not sure, I usually contact Marriott Customer Service to clear things up. This way there are no surprises if things like this arise.

Point made!  Thinking back, not long after the airlines began their ff programs, one was required fo fly to get the credit.  Before all the security stuff that we have now, one would buy a cheap ticket and actually go to the airport, get on the plane and then get off before take off and get the credit.  People always figure a way around rules if the rules are at all flexable.  It would be nice if they could look at something like this on an individual basis from time to time but I guess if you give it to one, you must give it to all.

Do they give stay points and credit if the room is not occupied? 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I've read, on this forum a long, long time ago, of customers that would book a cheap room close to their home.  Then, they'd go check-in, go to the room and leave the room key there.  Went directly home, didn't stay the night... to get their nights to maintain their status level.

That could be done and for less money than Jimsbsb put out.  At this point, I think that at least the points should be given.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I doubt any points will be given unless they make this a one time exception. I'm not saying I agree with their conditions, but it is what it is and was clearly stated.

jimsbsb, I assume the reservation date has already passed. If so and it's been a few days, you can check your account to see if your total nights for this year increased to include those 2 nights. My guess was no but I don't think the T&C clearly states if night credits are earned.

newhiltonmembr, I'm sure members still do this if they are close enough to maintain their status

I think you are right.  People will do a lot to maintain.  When i was in Australia, I meet a man who flew from Denver for 4 nights to maintain his United status.  United had a sale for $600 rd trip and he got a whole lot of miles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...