11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2014 6:35 PM by jm1991 RSS

Marriott Discounts?

yobo500 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Today, my wife and I went to a Marriott Timeshare presentation and I was told by the Marriott Salesperson who owns many weeks himself that Marriott employees pay the same price that everyone does including hotel and timeshare. I found this very strange because I really doubt that any employee of a company does not receive some type of discount for the product of their company. Does anyone know if Marriott employees do receive a discount for their purchase of a Marriott timeshare or hotel stay?

Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Discounts?
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I don't know about timeshares, but Marriott employees certainly do get a very good discount on hotel rooms... dirt cheap in many locations!

And, I just found out, they receive FREE hotel rooms for LIFE after 25 years of service.

I'm in the wrong industry.... I spend my money at Marriott and get very little in return.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jep2020 Platinum 1 Reviews

YOBO

Check out the facebook posting. Answers at least part of your question. Free hotel after 25 years would be nice.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

If the Marriott employee owns timeshare 'weeks' he/she bought them quite some time ago when prices were much less. That statement (of owning multiple weeks) is somewhat disingenuous from an employee as Marriott no longer sells 'weeks' unless the time they are selling is in a 'deed restricted' location (usually an International destination). Marriott now sells 'points'...you don't get a deed and the 'points' expire after a two (2) year time period.

Marriott employees are certainly not buying 'points' as the timeshare locations have now been opened up to nightly stays in the Marriott hotel system.....and they DO get a discount on stays done in that manner. Next time ask them about the Marriott Friends and Family discount program when they tell you there is no discount for employees........and that is most likely not the best program employees receive.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Yobo,

There is a discount for Marriott employees to stay at Marriott properties. At hotels it's is called the "associate rate". I've been told this is about the equivalant of what it costs to clean the room.

I'm not sure there is a program for the timeshares. That group was spun off not too long ago. Tef is just one of the many folks on here that you may want to utilize as a reference.  He knows his stuff having lived through the ups and downs.

I have sat in a few presentations. One with Marriott, about 4 years ago, and a couple of others. The one common denominator was the hard sell. My wife and I were interested to find out more. We made the commitment to sleep on any information or offers that were presented. The pressure to "sign on the dotted line" DURING the presentations  weighed heavy each time. Once, not sure with which group, we said we'd sleep on it and get back to them in a couple of days. We were very interested. The reaction when we told them we'd get back to them was startling. The young salesman actually sighed and said "Nobody ever calls back and decides to buy.  If you don't do it now, you won't do it later."  He hung his head and led us to the door.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Wow.  I'll never buy a time share.  There is just no incentive any longer.  But I digress.  This is interesting.  I knew employees couldn't participate in the MR program, but I didn't know about the employee discount. 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Actually, I met a NY Marriott Marquis employee recently.  She told me that employees can choose between the employee discount or being able to join Marriott Rewards.  Obviously, with the cheap room rates that they get with the discount, it's a no brainer!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

My wife and I have sat thru a few of these as well, and agree as you state about the hard sell.  We have yet to sign up.  I know of some owners who are glad that they signed up---as it forces them to go on vacation each year.  I also know of others who just sell the weeks to other people, or pad them on for the next year.  My question is, can you take the interest on the payments off for tax purposes?

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Interest on a time share loan is tax deductible as  "second home" mortgage interest.

yobo500 Gold

Thank you for the information. The salesman did state that he had bought his timeshares before the new points program went into effect, but stated that he does not receive any type of discounts and pays the same rates as everyone else which has been proven wrong, at least for hotel stays.

Would be very interesting if Marriott employess do get a discount for their timeshare purchases now days.

Thanks again for the information provided.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Marriott employes get a better rate than the friends and family rate.  Wish I was an employee, although now you don't get points for your stay if you are using Marriott Friends and Family.

jm1991 Silver 1 Reviews

Though the employee rate does get really good rates, they are sometimes not available on certain dates or hotels or if the hotel ran out of standard rooms.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...