24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 9:52 AM by GemPrincess RSS

chase credit card program

mikeraff Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a marriott chase credit card which gives you an elite night stay for every $3000.00 spent which month.  Chase would give you points and elite nights at the end of each month based on credit card spending.This year chase changed the system and now credits you the points at the end of the month but the elite night stays take 6-8 weeks.  I've called them 3 times and the elite night credits are not correct and are taking much longer to be credited to my account.  Anyone else having this problem?  Thanks for  help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: chase credit card program
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Mike,

Let me see if I understand.

1) After your statement closes, each month, you see the points being applied to your MR account for the different categories of spending.

2) Hypothetical:  You spend $6000 in your April statement cycle...you won't see the two elite night credits until June?

Is this what your saying?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikeraff Platinum

Yes, that's what is happening.

They are messing with the elite nights and the yearly bonus nights (15 or 20 nights when you annual fee is charged based on when you signed up for your credit card).

Check your statements.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I've found that the only consistency Chase has regarding elite night credit for each $3000 spend is that they are consistently inconsistent. Some months I see the elite nights credited within a week after the bill is paid. Other times I see the nights credited a month to six weeks later. I do track it, but it can be difficult at times.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Looking at it from a system integration perspective:  Chase runs their billing cycles monthly in their system, but the day is perhaps different for each cardholder.  Don't know.  So then the transaction file gets sent to the Marriott system.  If the Marriott data system is set up to only apply the transactions from Chase on a monthly basis, then depending on when your Chase monthly billing cycle closes in relationship to when Marriott process their monthly postings from the Chase transaction file, I can see how sometimes a persons credits from Chase can be delayed.  It's a timing issue.  Marriott would have to run a job daily or even weekly, instead of monthly to have the postings be consistently more timely.  It just depends on how their system was originally designed.  This is just speculation, but that could be what's going on.  Not saying it's okay, it is what it is.  Probably why the fine print says something about may take up to 6 weeks, etc.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi. I spend a lot on my Chase each month, and from the best I can tell, the elite nights are posted in lump quarterly. Since my anniversary falls at the end of August, by the end of September I get my elite annual nights, as well as spending night totals based on amount for the previous 3 months. I have kept somewhat of a record, but after noticing a pattern, I do not pay much attention anymore. Hope this helps. - Al.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Great business systems analysis!

Another interesting thing about the internal Chase systems for their various products, is that they are independent of each other.  If you have a mortgage, and equity line of credit and a credit card, or maybe even 2 as a result of the various industry acquisitions, they are all separate, are managed separately and processed separately.  One may transfer funds immediately, another may take several days.  I am not certain why this is.  Might be due to all the mergers and acquisitions, and the products were part of acquiring other companies, or the business units are independent and not linked in anyway.  When Chase offers a service or benefit, it would seem it should be consistently applied, but it rarely is.

nhtraveler Platinum 2 Reviews

I understand your frustration as I've experienced the same thing. The only thing I can figure is that since the elite nights are based on $3000 in accumulated spending, posting may be delayed in order for your accumulated spending to equal $3000. I've called Chase myself with the same concerns. I try to keep track, but it is a bit confusing, I must admit. There are some months I have well over $3000 and others where it's about $1000. It's tough to keep track.

profchiara Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Exactly.  While I have serious issues with MR, I have had very positive experiences with the Chase Marriott Premier Rewards card.  It may not (and usually does not) appear within what we consider our spending period, but rather the combo posting periods of MR and Chase and our billing cycles.

The good part is I have always received my extra nights even if it takes a while.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Plus Chase customer service are great to speak with!

david9t4 Platinum 8 Reviews

I've been frustrated with the delays in posting as well.  Today I got a letter in the mail from Chase indicating that there was a problem with the posting of elite night credits, and that this would be corrected in the next few weeks.  Did anyone else get a similar letter?

My complaint with Chase is that the elite night credits should show on the reward card webpage.  I don't think that the MR website cites the addition of nights in the rewards activity session, but I do see them in the "total elite night" increases. It'd be nice to have some way to reconcile the activity to the credits.

caldrich Platinum 1 Reviews

I got the letter too, and agree that it is impossible to reconcile the elite night credits...

I got one too.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I got that letter too. I thought I got it becuse my card was compromised (stolen) twice in less than a month. So, with the new account numbers changing so much in a short time frame they probably wanted to cover any issue by being in front of it. Since so many others have gotten the same letter, maybe that's not the reason.

fishingfool Platinum 2 Reviews

I received the same letter today in the mail and they have already corrected the number of elite night stays.  It seems to me that someone is reading these posts and taking action.

taxman415 Platinum

When did they make the correction to your account...

They haven't corrected mine unless I didn't use the card during that period, which is beyond the realm of possibility.  I ONLY use plastic any more, then pay it off.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 56 Reviews

Yes,

I join the group of you that got the letter!  We'll see what happens.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

yet to get the letter, bu tunderstand the frustation that people ar experiencing.

There have been several class action lawsuits against Chase.

They have been responsive in that situation.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, and individual bank locations are closing as well.

can't remember when I have been inside an actual bank.

I had to deposit a royalty check from England in pounds a few months ago -- that was the last time for me -- and one of the few times in the past few years.

European banks have a way of making you do this.  I remember trying to cash a check in Nice at a bank.  I was told that I either had to take it to Paris, or deposit it in Nice and wait weeks for the funds to be collected.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...